Follow

Hawkeye & Mockingbird

Volume »

Entering the Heroic Age are Hawkeye & Mockingbird.

Review: Hawkeye & Mockingbird #3

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Dominic Fortune quickly sniff out the trail leading to Crossfire and head after him, on the warpath. But they're very likely walking into a trap.

The Good

Even more so than last issue, I was digging Lopez's art, here. Some mixture of the pencils, ink and colors were giving me a strong Tom Strong vibe, which is great, because I was a huge fan of Chris Sprouse's work on that title. Not only are the lines clean and appealing, but there's great sense of consistency to the geography of all the scenes. Particularly in the face off with Crossfire at the end, you could feel where all these characters were in relationship to eachother. McCann crafted a powerful ride  that's got all the twists, bumps and loops to make for a thrilling ride. The playout of the potential love triangle in this issue is wrenching stuff - - and one hell of a cliffhanger! I hope somebody isn't dead who seems to be.

The Bad

The whole issue of mercy bullets raises my eyebrow a little. First, even rubber bullets have a pretty good chance of killing somebody, especially if you fire a volley at somebody's face. But that is one of the conventions of superheroes, so it's not really fair to mark it down for that. What is a little puzzling is Hawkeye's ignorance about Mockingbird using them. You'd figure he'd know what she was packing ahead of time and, if not, that kind of paints him to be a chump.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

This book continues to be one of the best new titles to spring out of the Heroic Age and it's quickly becoming a title I'm looking forward to every month. It's just finely tuned. You've got action, surprises, shocks and plenty of emotional drama to sink your teeth into. As this title's only three issues in, I recommend picking up the first two and starting from the beginning, so you can say you were with this at the start before everybody else hops on it.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Bestostero

Mocking Bird <3
    Good Review!

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Mutant God

Is Barb's mom dead?

gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gambit987

I think I am going to buy the TPB.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Pizawle

Been a fun ride so far. Am sure it'll continue.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Maybe the whole issue of him not knowing is meant to show, maybe subtly, that Hawkeye and Mockingbird aren't a happy couple.  She does things without him knowing, things he should know with ease.
    I don't know, because I haven't read it yet.  Can't wait though.  Love the series, the story and art.  Hawkeye is cool.  And Mockingbird, who I never really knew about before this, seems pretty cool too.

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Bobby X

Damn, I want to start reading this series...I need more munny!!!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

This series so far has been a bomb... For me, this has become a MUST READ every month!
    McCann rules!

skprgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By skprgb
    @Mutant God: Nope Critical condition kinda thing. 

I love this book best thing I've been buying so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.