Follow

Hawkeye & Mockingbird

Volume »

Entering the Heroic Age are Hawkeye & Mockingbird.

Review: Hawkeye & Mockingbird #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Hawkeye's plan to reunite Mockingbird with her mother backfires horribly as it not only opens old wounds, it also make her the target of Crossfire and the new Phantom Rider.

The Good

Like I commented on Red Robin this week, this title catches the elusive balance of action, humor, suspense and character you want from a well-balanced superhero title. McCann makes Hawkeye and Mockingbird feel like a real couple while keeping the larger-than-life personalities you remember. I was impressed with how he was able to seamlessly integrate their romantic drama into the larger plot of Crossifre and this new Phantom Rider's schemes, as well as an intriguing thematic exploration of the hard give-and-take that superheroes' families experience relating to their secret identity. Stand-out scenes both related to Bobbi's mother - - there's the heartbreaking opening and the truly gasp-inducing cliffhanger (I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say it'll hit you from out of nowhere.) I'd be remiss not to mention the work of Lopez and Lopez (brothers?) here - - their lines are tremendously clean and they've got serious storytelling chops to match the flash.

The Bad

I want to grant the script some poetic license because the opening with a SHIELD officer presenting Mockingbird's Mom with the flag is so powerful. Sure, it's more visual to have Bobbi in viewing distance... but it also makes her out to be inhumanly cold when she's just standing there, watching cooly, while her mother breaks down crying. And I don't think that's what they wanted to convey about her.

The Verdict - 4/5

Out of all the books launching out of Heroic Age, this is the one the best captures this new era's stated intentions.  I always thought that Mockingbird's death was one of the most unnecessary in Marvel's history. It quashed a lot of unrealized story potential that's now finally getting explored after it's, thankfully, been reneged. You know, the cover pulls a quote calling this "the superhero equivalent of Mr. & Mrs. Smith" but I think that does it a disservice. There are a lot more interesting things going on here than there were in that movie.
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

Valid point made about watching her mother cry and the writers not wanting to present her in this way, i completely agree

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Considering getting the trades of these.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm really enjoying this series.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Meteorite

I was a bit reluctant about buying this series, but reading this review gets rid of all my qualms.

skprgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By skprgb

I always liked hawkeye and this comic is making me very happy.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Yung ANcient One

4/5 im glad Hawkeyes making a good story,... not a huge fan of Hawkeye but i view him as a Underdog in MArvel... n i love Underdogs

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.