donfelipe's Hawk & Dove #1 - First Strikes review

• donfelipe wrote this review on .
  • donfelipe has written a total of 3 reviews. The last one was for

Read DC Universe presents #1-5... Deadman first!

First of all... I really dig Hawk & Dove. After reading this first issue I wasn't quite sure if I should really pick up the second issue, too, but now I'm already through #5 and must say, it's a pretty good story - it gets better page by page, issue by issue - with brilliant art and colors.

Most of all I like the characterization of the 2 main protagonist (and later on, of other characters, too ... no spoiler intended). The duo of good (Dove) and evil (Hawk), always teasing each other but also complementing each other, works quite well. Enter the Deadman, who's somewhere standing between the two.

Now, the only reason I write this review is because I wished I had have read "DC Universe presents" first. That means the first 1-5 issues of this series and the story arc featuring Deadman respectively. The story in DCU presents seems to have happened before and is the origin story of the Deadman. Don't get me wrong, "Hawk & Dove" doesn't give away anything, it's just that Deadman appears to be much wiser and mature than at the beginning of DCU presents.