Kirkman And McFarlane's 'HAUNT' Sell Out!

Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue's one and two go into their second printing!

Looks like the collaboration between Robert Kirkman and Todd McFarlane was a pretty big success! According to a press release from Image, their latest project, HAUNT went on to sell out almost instantly on the distribution level upon its release! Not only did both the first and second issues go on to sell out completely, and go into second printings, but they also went on to set personal sales records for Image comics!

"Getting this reception a second time around has us all very excited," Kirkman said. "HAUNT is having a tremendous launch at a period in time when the economy doesn't really lend itself to people taking a chance on something new. Not only did the first issue set a recent sales record for Image, but as of last week the reprint and second issue are both gone despite very significant overprints. Todd and I are very appreciative of the fans and retailers supporting HAUNT. We hope to reward them back with years of stories to come."

The story is about two brothers, Kurt who is a secret agent, and Daniel who is a priest who develop a close relationship following the death of Kurt.

HAUNT centers on a pair of brothers, Kurt and Daniel Kilgore, who act more like adversaries than family. Kurt, a secret agent, and Daniel, a less than holy priest, bond in a way neither of them expects after Kurt's untimely death. A surprise fusing of Kurt's ghost with Daniel's body creates a chain reaction, turning the brothers into the character, Haunt.

It seems like fans of McFarlane's SPAWN might enjoy this title as well. Second printings of both issues will arrive at your local comic shop along with issue #3 on December 2nd, 2009. Did you pick up the issue? Are you planning on it after having heard the great reception it has received?
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

HOW did people buy into this crap?! It's just SPIDER-SPAWN!! Originality is dead.

#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

outside of the design I don't see any similarities. I don't get individual issues of Image in my comic shop but will get the trade

#3 Posted by iLLituracy (13494 posts) - - Show Bio

The design isn't the only thing. They basically took Spawn's concept and Venom's concept and meshed them. Instead of dying and going to hell and gaining powers the dude dies, becomes a symbiote and bonds with his brother or something like that.

It's not bad. It's not original, either. IMO, at least.

#4 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: Oh it's completely unoriginal, but unoriginal things can still be very entertaining.
#5 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

#6 Posted by Decept-O (7291 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know about the story or concept, doesn't really appeal to me a lot BUT I am loving that artwork.
#7 Posted by Obsurity (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with most of the posters above. Haunt isn't original although that might not necessarily be a bad thing. In terms of video games, Dead Space is the movie Event Horizon + Resident Evil gameplay. Dante's Inferno is a rip off of God of War from the rumor I've heard that does a better job than the original. I know I'm comparing a comic book to a video game. So yeah... I bought the first 2 issues and to be frank I'm not impressed. This series is something I'd buy if I had the spare change or an impluse buy

#8 Posted by Dane (10649 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty awesome, I'll check it out if I can get it here.

#9 Posted by The Human Stain (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I did enjoy the first issue. I still have to pick up my comics from last week. Luckily my store is holding a copy for me.

#10 Posted by TicketyTock (30 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my least favorite Kirkman comic. And i hate 90s artists!

#11 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks too familiar...

#12 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio

all you instant nay sayers need to read the freaking comic! if you pick up the first couple issues and dnt like it, then fine, but dont just look at the cover and piss on it. makes you look like an idiot.

#13 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13: 
You mean like deadpool and deathstroke? Agree with that
#14 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow big resemblance to Spider-man but with a touch of Venom and Black Cat in there O_O 

#15 Posted by m_man360 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

So far collected No.1 and No. 2, i like this comic.

#16 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

why are people bitching about originality?  There's a lot of similar characters out there.  Super strenght, agility, filight, helaing factors, telepathy, telekenisis.  people whe freak out when their family is killed.  quit bitching.
#17 Posted by Peterobe (110 posts) - - Show Bio

I am loving this. I'd say to anyone who refuses to read it cuz of the cover - give it a chance!

#18 Posted by toytul (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I won't disagree that haunt as a superhero has powers that are far too similar  to spider-man, venom, or carnage, but i find the artwork, storyline, and character development to be completely exceptional, definitely making up for the slight lack of originality

#19 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" HOW did people buy into this crap?! It's just SPIDER-SPAWN!! Originality is dead. "
#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
" HOW did people buy into this crap?! It's just SPIDER-SPAWN!! Originality is dead. "
"
To be fair, I've read it and changed my mind on it. It's awesome.
#21 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @ReverseNegative said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
"
To be fair, I've read it and changed my mind on it. It's awesome. "
It's OK, but not the greatest.
#22 Posted by Ms. Omega (4537 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like the book

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.