Harley Quinn #0

Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Make a note that this is a zero issue. It goes a little off the rails (in a good way) and is not necessarily fully indicative of what we can expect in the series. The first thing you'll notice is Harley breaking the Fourth Wall and even having conversations with Jimmy and Amanda. It absolutely works in the story and adds an incredible amount of humor. But concerned fans needn't worry that this is how the series will play out (it's only in this zero issue).

As is evident on the cover, there are a lot of artists on this issue. The reason Harley breaks the Fourth Wall is over the idea of a comic being made of her. This is where we get to see a sort of interview process with the art. What it really means is we are treated to page after page of incredible interpretations of Harley and her wacky sense of adventure and violence.

The art alone would be reason to pick this issue up but Jimmy and Amanda's dialogue is the icing on the cake. While reading this, you can simply sink into your chair and get comfortable while you enjoy the story. DC Comics (especially in the New 52) tend to stay pretty serious. With Harley's nonsensical tone, you simply have fun reading this comic. Some of the pages the different artists provide are so incredibly insane, you really do feel like they've tapped into Harley's fractured mind. The next issue will delve into more serious business (or as serious as it can be for a Harley solo series) and this is the perfect warm up to welcome Harley back.

The Bad

As long as you know what you're in for with this issue, there isn't anything to complain about. It's a fun showcase of who Harley is and what Jimmy and Amanda have planned with her. Having a bunch of artists gives it a party feel.

The Verdict

Harley is back in her own series and Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are setting the stage for her return. We've seen Harley go through a bit of a transformation in the New 52 and this issue shows they understand who she is at her core. As a zero issue, the series blasts off into a crazy and wacky beginning with a party atmosphere with all the artists contributed their takes on her. This issue will make you laugh and it will make it clear you'll never know what to expect in the series. Perfect for a character like Harley.

Staff
#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this issue. The jokes were great. I especially love the Batwing/All-Star Western joke.

#2 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the preview and just had to get it. I thoroughly enjoyed this issue,so fun!

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5735 posts) - - Show Bio

"I'm Amanda Conner, bitches!"

#5 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8106 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved All The Art and Script, I felt a DeadPool vibe tho

#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this series continues for a long time. Amanda and Jimmy have started off great. I'm so glad that there's finally some happy fun in the new 52.

#7 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate when they have good issues for bad concepts. 'Cause that just means that there's hopes that it could be good, and all you want is for it to be cancelled or completely retooled.

#9 Edited by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

I seriously hope that the actual series lives up to how much I enjoyed this issue.

#10 Posted by 2cool4fun (1367 posts) - - Show Bio

So, i haven't picked it up yet, I'll get it tomorrow with the rest of the things, but tell me, is she able to compete with deadpool, since that is what she looks like to me now, DC's comedy character ( even though I REALLY WISH that was Lobo... )

#11 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of my favorite books this week.

Staff
#12 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21870 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the preview I just have to buy this.

#13 Posted by scouts1998 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

this isn't a deadpool comic, deadpool doesn't talk to directly to the creator

#14 Edited by Dernman (15096 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the issue but to be honest I'm glad the series won't be like this because I would lose interest.

#15 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

This book seems to be getting good reviews everywhere. Seems like a must buy.

#16 Posted by Al_capOWN (534 posts) - - Show Bio

lol this a joke.

#17 Posted by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap.

I actually liked the issue. o_o

#18 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

This was fun.

#19 Edited by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue! Now Im just waiting for "Larfleeze/Harley" Team-up! hahah But serious I recommend this issue for anybody to give a try. Especially for the people who say DC is too serious. DC is branching out with comics like the Green Team, Larfleeze, and Harley Quinn. We support these comics by buying them, its unfortunate for Green Team, but I hope the funny side of DC continues to grow!

#20 Edited by LJO1989 (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6902 posts) - - Show Bio

the preview was great.

#22 Edited by HeckTate (1220 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised how well the multiple artists were received here on the Vine. You guys usually include minor art details that I don't even pick up on in your "bad" section.

#23 Posted by MideonNViscera (367 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good part of this issue was seeing which artists were on it. The rest was irritating.

#24 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved this. It's definitely not my favorite version of Harley but I still like it, considering we've had New 52 Suicide Squad Harley for awhile now.

Got so excited when Jim Lee and Bruce Timm's pages came up!!

#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a fun read. It's nice to see DC departing from the dark and gritty, if only for one issue. I hope they keep up this general tone for Harley (not the fourth wall breaking stuff, but the lighthearted nature) in the rest of the ongoing.

#26 Posted by 2cool4fun (1367 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this issue. The jokes were great. I especially love the Batwing/All-Star Western joke.

I...didn't get the joke :\

#27 Posted by Booster_Bronze (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know what the "51 50" on her shoulder pads means?

#28 Posted by Dragonsloth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@booster_bronze: I believe 5150 is police code for crazy one on the loose, danger to property. Also a California Welfare and Institutions Code.

and also a Van Halen album

#29 Posted by danhimself (22551 posts) - - Show Bio

I really didn't expect to like this but I really did enjoy the crap out of it

#30 Posted by danhimself (22551 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know what the "51 50" on her shoulder pads means?

could be in reference to "52"...like 50, 51, 52

#31 Posted by Dud317 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

@booster_bronze: dragonsloth is 100% correct. 5150 is code for not mentally stable. And a Van Halen album. However in this case, it's because she's a nut.

#32 Posted by gizmo_404 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this issue was fantastic. One of the most fun DC issues I've read in a long while. Dark and gritty is all good, but there needs to be a little silly to balance it.

#33 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this. I hope the actual series is this fun and entertaining. Loved the concept of this for a zero issue with the artists "tryout".

#35 Edited by Feral Nova (46649 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the comic just out of pure curiosity and I loved it. It was funny, the jokes were funny and if Harley is going to be played out exactly how she was in the comic, I think I might end up adding it to my pull list.

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of 52 Harley, but now... I'm starting to warm up to her.

#36 Edited by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

My LCS owner thought it was terrible, but I loved it. Can't wait for more.

And people are really asking what 5150 means? You've got the world at your fingertips. Look it up man! In my day we didn't have fancy "devices" to look up info, we had to go the library! Geez!

#37 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

@mideonnviscera: if that. With the exception of the cover, mostt of the art sucked. And the comic was pointless, just absurd.

#38 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeboy: The jokes didn't get me either, but I wouldn't say the comic is pointless. I can see they wanted us to have fun with it and show us how Harley acts in these situations. Regardless of the constant jokes, I'd take this over the SS anyday.

that being said, if they use her to compete with Deadpool, they will feel my wrath...

#39 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: thank goodness I'm not alone. I read it and I just kept wondering to myself how this got a 5. I would have given it a 2. And the art by those top talents just seemed uninspired to me. I'm glad others liked it, but I think I will just stick with the suicide squad where she has Mad Skilz :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.