Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2595 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

The Evolution of Harley Quinn

• 94 results
    wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Original one was the best one. Rest got too ''far''

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

I think the Assault on Arkham version of Harley is the best redention of classic and modern outfits. I'd appreciate that being her normal outfit if they covered the midriff.

Come on man... Seriously? Cover up her midriff? Are you her grandma?

It's more accurate to say this is Harley Quinn's transformation into Whorely Quinn *sigh*

It never ceases to amaze me the sheer number of absolute prudes that comment on this site. "We don't mind if she is an accessory to 10,000 murders as Joker's sidekick, but don't dare draw her with ANY exposed skin!"

She's young and promiscuous and she dresses as such, plus she's evil. I don't understand how the majority of you'll want her to dress like a goody school nun..

^THIS!!!!! For all the angst over female comic book character costumes, I can only think of a handfull that are more revealing that what I see every time I hit a club.

Seriously, all you so called feminists better stay home with the kids on Halloween, because the 'Catwoman' costumes that I see at parties would make Selina herself blush.

An article about the evolution of a homicidal sociopath and you people are complaining about her wardrobe. Moronic.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@supbatz said:

Devolution is more like it.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Lurkero

@jbbuc: The problem that you seem to have is that you think any criticism of exposed skin is because people prefer that women cover up. I don't like her exposed midriff in the Arkham outfit because I think it doesn't look as good if she wore a full shirt. I fully support people who want to expose their skin (if they have the bodies for it), but that version of Harley could be improved if the outfit was filled out.

I also complain when Batman, Superman, Joker, etc. have designs that I don't like. This topic just happens to be about Harley Quinn. It's more about the evolution of her design than the evolution of her personality.

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the issue is that people think women should always be covered up, but that it seems to be a stereotype, especially for bad/evil female characters to dress with a little less modesty or however you'd like to phrase that.

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
    MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who like the Brave and the Bold Harely

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

She's supposed to be a Harlequin. If you remove any and all traces of that then what's the point. It would be like Catwoman dressing in a tee and short shorts with no cat-like details. Why would she be called Catwoman?

And are we seriously debating the seriousness of a costume in a world with Superman in it? Batman? If you think that Harley's original costume is ridic then perhaps you don't have the imagination skills to view a CBM. There's a half crocodile right next to her.

DC is wanting it's CBMs to not really be that CB-y. Interesting route to take but - for me - seeing a comic character leap off the page onto the screen is why I am at the movie theater. Why even base this stuff on comics if we're not going to use the comics? Just make up a story about half a dozen tatted up junkies.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@redwingx said:
    @stmichalofwilson said:
    @maxsavage said:

She's young and promiscuous and she dresses as such, plus she's evil. I don't understand how the majority of you'll want to dress like a goody school nun..

^This

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@jbbuc said:
    @lurkero said:

I think the Assault on Arkham version of Harley is the best redention of classic and modern outfits. I'd appreciate that being her normal outfit if they covered the midriff.

Come on man... Seriously? Cover up her midriff? Are you her grandma?

@machomustachio said:

It's more accurate to say this is Harley Quinn's transformation into Whorely Quinn *sigh*

It never ceases to amaze me the sheer number of absolute prudes that comment on this site. "We don't mind if she is an accessory to 10,000 murders as Joker's sidekick, but don't dare draw her with ANY exposed skin!"

@maxsavage said:

She's young and promiscuous and she dresses as such, plus she's evil. I don't understand how the majority of you'll want her to dress like a goody school nun..

^THIS!!!!! For all the angst over female comic book character costumes, I can only think of a handfull that are more revealing that what I see every time I hit a club.

Seriously, all you so called feminists better stay home with the kids on Halloween, because the 'Catwoman' costumes that I see at parties would make Selina herself blush.

An article about the evolution of a homicidal sociopath and you people are complaining about her wardrobe. Moronic.

The wardrobe issue is only secondary to Harley's transformation from a fun, unique character to a sadistic, irredeemable Joker-clone - a transformation that her appearance has largely reflected (i.e. bleeched white skin). I don't care how much or how little clothing Harley wears, so long as it's befitting of the character and appropriately matches her personality. A solid 80% of the time, it does neither.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: No sir. The problem I have is page after page of complains about every female character who is shown with exposed legs or stomachs. If the majority of these commenters had their way, evry female would be covered in armor from head to toe whether they need armor or not.

Harley was originally a throw-away comic releif character for a cartoon. DC tried t turn her into an interesting character with her own depth and back story. Right or wrong, the thinking seems to be that shedding the jester suit is a symbolic way of seperating her from the dependence on Joker which, parenthetically, I think was a great idea. But these complains aren't about the loss of her comedic innocence. They are all about her outfits.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61  Edited By Wilbertus

Evolution or regression?

This. Amen. *Other words of approval.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#62  Edited By Kairan1979

I think they missed Nana Harley from Batman Beyond : Return of the Joker.

Loading Video...

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Doc-Holiday

@parachomp: Thank you! I am so glad that you said that.

They keep covering up characters and making them more respectable and more realistic for what they do, like Wonder Woman wearing real clothes, I mean...she goes to war with super powered beings...lets cover her up a little.

Meanwhile, Harley went in reverse, she wore a full costume which literally covered everything save for her face and if you include her face-paint then it covered that too to looking like a high-school girl wearing a 'Harley' costume from a halloween shop, it's just a corset top and short-shorts, what's next? She'll just be running around naked?

She fights Batman for comic-book's sake! Batgirl wears a full costume with armor...Harley dresses like she is about to start spinning on a pole while men throw money at her.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Maybe but they could have made a red and black armored costume instead of a tank top and shorts...seriously...how is that in anyway affective?

At least in 'Assault on Arkham' they kept her in a costume even if she only wore her hat and face paint half the time

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@d9000: Maybe but they could have made a red and black armored costume instead of a tank top and shorts...seriously...how is that in anyway affective?

At least in 'Assault on Arkham' they kept her in a costume even if she only wore her hat and face paint half the time

Yeah, I hear ya. They mostly abandoned any reference to her old look and colours. Although her short shorts are red, as is her jacket. Personally I don't mind going with street clothes just because I'm glad they stayed away from corsets and jester hats.

But my theory about comic book character designs for movies has always been that they aren't looking at the comic book page and thinking how can be make this character look more like a real person, they look at a real person and say how can we make this person more like the comic book character. They're belief is that if they go even one inch to far with the design most people (and by most people I mean the general movie going public who don't read comics) will be turned off.

This doesn't mean they couldn't have done more with Harley's design here, it just makes it easier for me to accept whatever we end up with in on screen. Especially considering that no amount of message board complaining will change their mind.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Oh I wont complain on message boards :P

I just wont see the movie

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Oh I wont complain on message boards :P

I just wont see the movie

Well that does make more sense.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Well, Harley isn't even the reason. Will Smith as Deadshot makes no sense.

Having the Joker appear and supposedly only for a brief scene when a character like that deserves a much larger role? And having this huge cast of otherwise hugely unknown characters to non-comic readers is not a smart idea.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Well, Harley isn't even the reason. Will Smith as Deadshot makes no sense.

Having the Joker appear and supposedly only for a brief scene when a character like that deserves a much larger role? And having this huge cast of otherwise hugely unknown characters to non-comic readers is not a smart idea.

Yeah, it's hard to tell which movie is more of a question mark; Fantastic Four or this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suicide Squad Harley looks so edgy. Everything about that movie is pointing toward it being a masterpiece. All hail our lord and savior, Jared Leto.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Ugh, that Fantastic Four movie looks...ugh...especially the casting, the guy they cast for Reed Richards seems terrible for the role

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday: Fingers crossed I guess. I'm definitely waiting for reviews on that one before I buy a ticket.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Yep, I'll look up some honest reviews on here or maybe from other sources I trust and same goes for Suicide Squad, if someone can tell me it is sincerely worth seeing then I will consider it but honestly neither film grabs my attention.

I do hope that if this Fantastic Four is terrible that they don't consider making those characters the permanent F4 for the MCU, I just don't see that actor for Reed Richards being on par with Robert Downey Jr. or Marc Ruffalo as far as scientist/intelligent characters.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

You forgot to mention her cameo in Arrow.

di_amond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have as much of a problem with her lack of clothes, but in the Suicide Squad outfit, none of the original harlequin theme is preserved and she just kind of looks like a pre-teen going through a Hot Topic phase. Although, I've heard she has multiple costumes so I have hope. What do people think of the addition of blue into the color scheme?

xashfordx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow wow wow! I can't believe all the stupid comments on here. Just because the later versions of Harley wears more revealing clothes, does not automatically make her a slut! you guys are seriously pathetic.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about you all but a form fitting red and black cat suite harking back to her first costume would have being fine by me in the SS movie.

HenryVIIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fantastic until the New 52, where apparently she needed to be whored up for some reason. Arkham City is the best of the new outfits. The new movie looks terrible. Blue and pink hair? Since when?

HenryVIIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Since when is she 'young and promiscuous'? She was a psychiatrist. It's not like she's 21. And promiscuous? Well I don't ever remember her sleeping around in the animated series, or the early comics. Or her Arkham appearances, which are based on the animated series.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By Jestersmiles

I don't get the hate for New 52 Harley. Any one who reads her solo run would tell you that she just her old her self just with a different look, one I that I actually like. (SS one not so much) I get that she lost some of her harlequin looks but she act like one just as much , so I am not mad about her costume. Her personality is much more important , and her solo nails that to a tee.

As for her being a joker clone, who ever said that has not even read her solo run so I am not going to bother.

and what great about New Harley is that she wears more than one costume, and not all of them are revealing .

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

People also forget Pre new 52 Harley also wore some "risque" clothes no more different than those in the new 52. Like in Gotham Sirens.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

shorts and shirts no more different than her current run. I really don't see the big deal with her clothes.

People should just get past the costume and focus more on the character which like I said is spot on.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000 said:
    @docholiday said:

Yeah, I hear ya. They mostly abandoned any reference to her old look and colours. Although her short shorts are red, as is her jacket. Personally I don't mind going with street clothes just because I'm glad they stayed away from corsets and jester hats.

But my theory about comic book character designs for movies has always been that they aren't looking at the comic book page and thinking how can be make this character look more like a real person, they look at a real person and say how can we make this person more like the comic book character. They're belief is that if they go even one inch to far with the design most people (and by most people I mean the general movie going public who don't read comics) will be turned off.

This doesn't mean they couldn't have done more with Harley's design here, it just makes it easier for me to accept whatever we end up with in on screen. Especially considering that no amount of message board complaining will change their mind.

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: I'd rather choose not to accept it. I don't wish to argue but your point has a flaw, why is Harley looking like a girl in a stripper outfit but Deadshot has a costume exactly like his from the comics? The costume choices for each character seem entirely random. Enchantress looks somewhat like from the comics, Harley looks nothing like the comics, Diablo looks like a weird mix especially with the letterman jacket, Slipknot looks nothing like the comics and is hard to identify at all. Killer Croc looks like a goomba from the mario movie. Jared Leto looks nothing like the joker save for his white skin and green hair and we've seen good realistic interpretations of Joker in the form of Ledger ( who I know is dead but still...).

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: I'd rather choose not to accept it. I don't wish to argue but your point has a flaw, why is Harley looking like a girl in a stripper outfit but Deadshot has a costume exactly like his from the comics?

Deadshot costume in the comics is practical, it's just body armor expect with a few things to make it stand out from just regular body armor. One can imagine a merc wearing something similar. Now compare that to Harley onesie. What grown woman is going to wear a onesie to fight crime? It will looks ridiculous to the general audience and that why we have the change. Especially when the movie is trying to go for a serious tone. Like I said as long she acts the part I have no problem with the look.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Doc-Holiday

@jestersmiles:

The problem is you're putting that opposite...Batman, a grown man dressed in a costume as a Bat and we clearly saw they're going back to the other one piece suit, not the armor like Christian Bale, so why wouldn't enemies of a costumed vigilante almost wear costumes? Also, what grown woman wears short-shorts that tiny and a tank top and isn't a professional stripper or dancer? To me, the character they presented was not psychotic but just over the top with sexuality which is boring. She is called Harley Quinn from Harelquinn, the clown, which she looks nothing like, they clearly built in her relationship with Joker so why doesn't she have on white face paint? Or any face paint? Or anything that says "I am a clown" what her costume says is "$20 an hour and no kissing"

That also doesn't explain the others, El Diablo in a lettermans jacket, why? He wasn't a highschool football star, unless I am messing up his origin. Katana is wearing a mask, why is that alright for her but not for the others? It's more like the studio said "Ok, the iconic characters Deadshot, Killer Croc and Katana need to be exactly the same as the comics, Slipknot can look like whatever, Diablo needs to wear a dumb jacket one size too big for him, Enchantress kind of like the comics but have her look like she's covered in crap and Harley needs to be dressed like a hooker.'

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By Heatblaze

@jayc1324 said:

@nolidoli: I said 'most'

It doesn't automatically mean less clothing, but that is what happened to Harley here. Look at Halle Berry Catwoman compared to Catwoman from the comics. She is exposed a lot more.

I forgot that movie existed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Love the original look, and the Arkham City and Arkham Knight looks I actually really like. Not a particular fan of the Suicide Squad (comic) or New 52 looks, but that might be because I'm not particularly fond of the artwork.

Her look in the movie Suicide Squad I actually kind of dig, even though I don't usually like that Hot-Topic wannabe look.

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if the site had for faves

tugs1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So nutty.

Avatar image for wolverineistoaa
    WolverineIsTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By WolverineIsTOAA

Harley looks more like a psychopathic playboy stud then anything

Avatar image for superbatty90909
    Superbatty90909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harely QUinn almost popular as Deadpool

~MiB

She Almost as popular as Deadpool. Because she has become DC female version of Deadpool.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Personally aside from New 52 Suicide Squad Ive liked almost everything with her and her designs. Its crazy how popular she has become in such a short time. Love the little chart for her.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By modernww2fare

Lol the comments on this thread

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.