Starting to like Harley Quinn!

#1 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

I have jumped on the bandwagon my friend. Never paid attention to harley quinn a while ago. But now I'm actually starting to really like her! Very developed character, and I love her ditzy yet mischevious personality. COuld some one PLEASE give me some information about her to help me become a bigger fan? Maybe some storylines?

#2 Edited by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

You wanna be a bigger fan. Here's a tip. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE talk to the veteran fans of Harley Quinn. They are still hung up about Harley's redesign and most the fans, shockingly, do not like Harley's change in character or attitude in Suicide Squad. I've seen all of their arguments and their reasons for not liking Harley right now boils down to two things. One, the change, and two, she's no longer the Joker's squeeze. Keep in mind that most of these Harley fans are also hardcore shippers of the JxHQ ship and will most likely try to sell you that Harley Quinn cannot be separate from Joker because the Joker made her crazy and gave birth to Harley Quinn when the Harley Quinn comic series says otherwise BUT ultimately, will try to sell you that Joker loves Harley Quinn when there is huge amounts of evidence in comics that implied otherwise. Trying collecting the scans and, if you can, download the comics somewhere where you can get them and read it for free. Whatever you do, do not listen and take to heart to other people's opinions until you read most of the comics featuring Harley Quinn. You'll need the Batman:Harley Quinn graphic novel and the Harley Quinn series to start with, however there should be a graphic novel dedicated to the history of Harley Quinn that is out by now. Check out Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

You wanna be a bigger fan. Here's a tip. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE talk to the veteran fans of Harley Quinn. They are still hung up about Harley's redesign and most the fans, shockingly, do not like Harley's change in character or attitude in Suicide Squad. I've seen all of their arguments and their reasons for not liking Harley right now boils down to two things. One, the change, and two, she's no longer the Joker's squeeze. Keep in mind that most of these Harley fans are also hardcore shippers of the JxHQ ship and will most likely try to sell you that Harley Quinn cannot be separate from Joker because the Joker made her crazy and gave birth to Harley Quinn when the Harley Quinn comic series says otherwise BUT ultimately, will try to sell you that Joker loves Harley Quinn when there is huge amounts of evidence in comics that implied otherwise. Trying collecting the scans and, if you can, download the comics somewhere where you can get them and read it for free. Whatever you do, do not listen and take to heart to other people's opinions until you read most of the comics featuring Harley Quinn. You'll need the Batman:Harley Quinn graphic novel and the Harley Quinn series to start with, however there should be a graphic novel dedicated to the history of Harley Quinn that is out by now. Check out Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.

APPLAUSE,smart man.

#4 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

QFT, I love harley but not the new costume(im fine with a new costume but it seems incomplete conceptually) and I will always have a soft spot for her her and the joker's relationship but Im so happy to see her move past the joker FINALLY. She's the only reason I'm reading Suicide Squad and she's more bad@ss now that she's not being Ivy's incompetent kid sister.

I think the Joker did have feelings for Harley when he first turned her into is sidekick gf but only because he saw her as a toy and he grew bored of her and wanted to dispose of said toy. She loved him, he simply was intrigued by her as a pet. That relationship is over and will NEVER work outside Batman TAS

#5 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I'm a woman. :) and thanks.

#6 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a gargantuan and long-time Harley fan who likes the new outfit and "vibe" and am happy she's away from Joker. So nyah. I'm ordering Gotham City Sirens right now and a friend of mine who's as big of a Harley fan as I am said she loved it (she also likes new!Harley).

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

Your default says otherwise.... :P

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

Smart woman then.

@Joygirl:

I knew you were different from other Harley fans.

#9 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Harley was awesome for her time. She was terrific in cartoons and lighthearted stories but I like what they've done. They made her more edgy and badass for a darker age, without sacrificing too much. Sooner or later the other Harley fans will get over it and give in to what were some really pretty good changes. Actually, after the Arkham games, I've been craving to see some more of her actual hair anyway.

#10 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: :D Nice to see a long time fan who actually likes the change in character. Btw, i meant most long time fans cause you know, they tend to be a little more crazy when it comes to Harley's connection with Joker.

#11 Posted by ScanCase (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Harley as well but I have to say that there is no way joker ever had feelings for her. Even if there was a story that suggests otherwise I would instantly argue that it was poorly written or misinterpreted

#12 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Old Harley was awesome for her time. She was terrific in cartoons and lighthearted stories but I like what they've done. They made her more edgy and badass for a darker age, without sacrificing too much. Sooner or later the other Harley fans will get over it and give in to what were some really pretty good changes. Actually, after the Arkham games, I've been craving to see some more of her actual hair anyway.

Agreed old harley is classic and awesome for the animated stuff but it's nice to see her as more of and unhinged bad@ss given everything she's been through. I like her in suicide squad because she's so light hearted but probably one of the deadliest members because she gets underestimated. I kind of wish she wore a vest hoodie that's hood was and homage to her old costume(have the hood be her former head piece)

#13 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: Don't start reading the reboot Harley if it's the pre-reboot version you've gotten into. She's completely out of character there and I personally find it appalling what they've done with her (as well as pretty much every other female character they've written about so far).

#14 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

I'm a gargantuan and long-time Harley fan who likes the new outfit and "vibe" and am happy she's away from Joker. So nyah. I'm ordering Gotham City Sirens right now and a friend of mine who's as big of a Harley fan as I am said she loved it (she also likes new!Harley).

Gotham City Sirens is a good read.

#15 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e said:

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: Don't start reading the reboot Harley if it's the pre-reboot version you've gotten into. She's completely out of character there and I personally find it appalling what they've done with her (as well as pretty much every other female character they've written about so far).

Agreed. I have been a fan of hers for years and was dead excited about the changes made to her. Though her costume bothered me I got used to it once I saw it done well, but turning her into a cheeky little slut is not the way to handle her. Getting her away from the joker and FINALLY giving her her own story.. great plan.. hooking her up with anything with a cock? yeah.. not so much.

Plus the new series is not allowing her room to grow as a character. She is just being the ditzy big boobed blonde, we have seen that she could take Batman... so why are we still seeing her as a slutty girly girl?

#16 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

@Joygirl: :D Nice to see a long time fan who actually likes the change in character. Btw, i meant most long time fans cause you know, they tend to be a little more crazy when it comes to Harley's connection with Joker.

Funny. I have not seen that much about people being pissed she is no longer with Joker, is this on CV or elsewhere? I know those of us who are genuine fans of HER and not her and the joker are happy she got away from him.

#17 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@rogue_mar1e said:

Agreed. I have been a fan of hers for years and was dead excited about the changes made to her. Though her costume bothered me I got used to it once I saw it done well, but turning her into a cheeky little slut is not the way to handle her. Getting her away from the joker and FINALLY giving her her own story.. great plan.. hooking her up with anything with a cock? yeah.. not so much.

Plus the new series is not allowing her room to grow as a character. She is just being the ditzy big boobed blonde, we have seen that she could take Batman... so why are we still seeing her as a slutty girly girl?

Yeah, i'm not liking how DC is portraying Harley or any of the other female characters at the moment. They seem to all be screwing someone just for the sake of it. It's sad that they're really not doing any of these characters justice, and since the reboot should be providing new character-developing plots. :|

And meanwhile, the Joker:

What even.

@SiycoBat said:

Funny. I have not seen that much about people being pissed she is no longer with Joker, is this on CV or elsewhere? I know those of us who are genuine fans of HER and not her and the joker are happy she got away from him.

People on Tumblr have been absolutely spewing. There are a lot of hardcore Harley fans there.

#18 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e: I gave up on the reboot when I read about Harley. The whole thing just seems like one big wank fest for the fan boys to think they can hook up with their favourite characters, harsh I know and probably untrue, but it angers me what they are doing.

Christ... good thing I steer clear of Tumblr LOL

#19 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e: I gave up on the reboot when I read about Harley. The whole thing just seems like one big wank fest for the fan boys to think they can hook up with their favourite characters, harsh I know and probably untrue, but it angers me what they are doing.

Christ... good thing I steer clear of Tumblr LOL

I totally agree with you Ms. Red. They could've used the reboot to do so much better ... >__<

And haha, Tumblr's a good place to be. :P

#20 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Joker on steiroids... also, where's Ivy? I wasn't crazy about her constantly being submissive to Ivy and I like her getting out a little on her own, but not even an honorable mention?

#21 Posted by thehummingbird (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

ANything you need to know ask away Harley is the whole reason I even picked up a comic book I would love to discuss anything about her.

#22 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Mistress Redhead.: Yeah I found it pretty surprising that Harley jumped into a fling so quick after just gaining some unexpected distance from Joker (personally I thought of her making such of move was too soon after her assumingly getting dumped) but then again, she is on a team of people that are completely expendable to their employers and so you never know when you're gonna die so I'm kinda at odds about the situation.

#23 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@ScanCase: Yeah besides the only comic I've seen that states that Joker loves Harley was only in No Man's Land's The Code written by Brownlyn Carlton....the lady that has a reputation of ruining Catwoman....

Besides I doubt one or a few comics is going to change the mountainous piles of comics that have implied subtext and context that Harley is nothing but a tool to Joker and that Harley is deluded. In this case, the more evidence you have for your case, the better chance of proving your point.

#24 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@thehummingbird said:

ANything you need to know ask away Harley is the whole reason I even picked up a comic book I would love to discuss anything about her.

<3 It's why I love you x

@SiycoBat said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: Yeah I found it pretty surprising that Harley jumped into a fling so quick after just gaining some unexpected distance from Joker (personally I thought of her making such of move was too soon after her assumingly getting dumped) but then again, she is on a team of people that are completely expendable to their employers and so you never know when you're gonna die so I'm kinda at odds about the situation.

That is quite a stretch. Your saying her personality altered simply because she became part of a team of people where death is always on the table.. would she not be used to that from living with the psycho Joker?

#25 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl:

No. No, please stop.

#26 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Mistress Redhead.: That's different, Harley was in love with the Joker and believed that Joker loved her and wouldn't seriously kill her despite all the danger and abuse he puts her though. Love changes your perception on what is dangerous and what isn't. In Harley's case and view, she was never really in danger as long as the Joker was around.

#27 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@thehummingbird: What is Ask Away Harley?

#28 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: That's different, Harley was in love with the Joker and believed that Joker loved her and wouldn't seriously kill her despite all the danger and abuse he puts her though. Love changes your perception on what is dangerous and what isn't. In Harley's case and view, she was never really in danger as long as the Joker was around.

Hmm I would debate that... but I am not going to derail the thread any more than we have. The guy that started it is a convert so I would hate to put him off by spamming! lol

#29 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

What I think is odd is that in Suicide Squad #5 it's quite clear that she still very much cares about Joker. When she hears he's dead she absolutely flips -- so if she still cares about Joker, why is she shtooping Deadshot? I don't have problems with her moving on, but since she clearly hasn't it makes me a little :/.

#30 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: That answer is a little more complex. Remember in Suicide Squad#1 in the flashback when Harley was crying and bawling because it was assumed the Joker left her since she was talking like a girl that just got dumped? I think it is just left over feelings for the Joker and even though she has made an attempt to see other people, she still can't get over him. Remember. When you been with someone for long term and suddenly break up, its extremely hard to get over that person and hard to suddenly go solo especially you've invested soo much in that person. I think Glass is trying to be realistic when it comes to the realities of a relationship suddenly going up in smoke and the topic of abusive relationships according to one of his interviews. Moving on takes time.

#31 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat: Then doesn't it seem like she should take that time instead of dropping her pants? Though, knowing Harley, if she had that time she'd probably reconsider getting over him... try to raise Joker as a Black Lantern or something....

#32 Edited by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering Harley's personality, she always was an in-the-moment type. She's not really known for thinking before acting or considering the future consequences of her actions. This isn't the first time she came on to somebody when the Joker wasn't around, there was Batman in BTAS, Jimmy Olsen in the Harley Quinn series and Bruce/Hush in Gotham City Sirens. And it's not really all that simple when we're talking about someone that is psychologically damaged. Don't get me wrong, it is a smart idea when thinking about it but I've never really seen Harley do much that applied normal common sense. And I think Harley can find the time since she's obviously gonna be stuck with the Suicide Squad for a long while if the cover of Suicide Squad #8 implies anything.

#33 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoEy9090: You're not the only that got pissed off when I saw that issue. I always loved Poison Ivy and Harley as a duo. They help each other out in areas that they lack in and they fit each other perfectly. To be honest, I wouldn't really mind if DC suddenly decided to make Ivy and Harley lesbian for each other because the both of them are such good friends and an inspiration to each other.

I've heard of a rumor from the DC message boards that the reason why Joker and Harley were suddenly put back together in that issue was because of some campaign run by Elise Archer, famous harley cosplayer, to put Harley and Joker back together.

#34 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoEy9090: Now that I think about it, it does make sense for the writers to did what they did with her. Yeah, that pissed me off too. Elise's comment was even in the back of the issue and she was just praising it and gushing at how thankful she was that the writers put Harley and Joker "back together." It's sickening how the majority of these JxH shippers will find any trivial moment or dialogue to prove how they are "meant for each other." Honestly, it makes me wonder if their mothers dropped them on their heads as babies. And no offense taken. :)

#35 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@SiycoBat said:

Win

#36 Posted by cracker_jack (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in love with Harley Quinn. Damn it, why do I always fall for unavailable women!

#37 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

And she happens to be particularly lovable. :( Just picked up SS#6 and GCS vol.4 is on backorder, should get it in a week or two. Squee!

#38 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Why is Joker on steiroids... also, where's Ivy? I wasn't crazy about her constantly being submissive to Ivy and I like her getting out a little on her own, but not even an honorable mention?

Its actually clayface and he's on steroids(don't ask cause I had trouble wrapping my head around that too)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.