So...that New 52 Harley series

#1 Edited by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

As you probably know, a month ago, we got the news that Harley was going to have her own series once again.

I was just wondering, what do you think?

1. In her own way, she is both a hero and villain, so what kind of enemies do you see her facing? I know they said it'll be a lot of her life/environment/outside of her costume but she obviously run into obstacles

2. The creative team stated that the Joker is someone who defines her and is always "looming in the background." Do you want to see the love-crazy Harley like BTAS, b/c Joker is a big part of her and adds tragedy, OR do you want to see the independent Harley that has moved on, sort of like Suicide Squad?

3. Harley is moving out of Gotham. This maybe trivial, but what do you think this means?

4. The new look. Reading the interviews, I'm guessing this is her new look now. I honestly hate it a lot. But how about you?

#2 Edited by SupBatz (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Going point by point:

1. I think that the series will fail if they try to make Harley too heroic OR too villainous. The endearing thing about Harley is that she isn't sadistic like the Joker. She's more misguided. But that certainly doesn't make her a hero. As long as they keep it heavy on the fun and don't stray too far in either direction (hero to villain or vice-versa) I will be fine with it.

2. I'd prefer if the book started without heavy inclusion of the Joker. Perhaps make it comparable to Gotham City Sirens. Harley may mention the Joker now and then. And it may be clear that he is still on her mind. But take time to show her away from him. But that doesn't mean we should keep her alone. Harley is at her best when she plays off of other characters. Introducing Poison Ivy and recreating their pre-Flashpoint dynamic would be a good way to move the story forward. And if we are going to have the Joker appear, let's give it a bit of time before he does. And perhaps be more original than the typical "Joker shows up, Harley is love-crazy, Joker betrays her in some way, Harley retaliates and renounces him" plot. We've seen that more than enough. It's time that someone takes their relationship in a different direction.

3. I'm fine with it. A new location might keep things fresh. But it might be a good idea to move her back to Gotham at some point along the line. Gotham is her home. And being there would allow for inclusion of more Gotham-based characters. Another thing I always liked about Harley was that she always seemed the enjoy the company of other villains. Plus, it would allow Batman to appear now and then. But this is something that I can wait for. If they want to keep her away from Gotham for a while, by all means do so.

4. I've made my opinion clear on this before so I'll just simply say that I'm not at all a fan of the look.

And a point that wasn't originally mentioned but that I feel is worth bringing up:

5. DON'T TRY TO MAKE HARLEY "DC'S DEADPOOL"

I've heard this mentioned several times now. Harley is not Deadpool. She is a very different sort of character. And I will be very disappointed if she is reduced to nothing more than a Deadpool rip-off in her own series.

#3 Edited by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz: very good points. I agree with all of this. I'm a little skeptical but I am definitely looking forward to it. Hmm DC's Deadpool...never thought about it like that...yeah I hope they don't make Harley like Deadpool! That's stupid. And I totally agree that a lot of what makes Harley lovable is how she plays off other characters. her interactions. Have you read Injustice #5? She's with Green Arrow. When written right, Harley can work well with anyone. I look forward to seeing guest appearances in her book, especially Poison Ivy. Here's the Green Arrow thing, if you haven't read it: I just hope they give her that cuteness, humor, tragedy, and awesomeness like pre Flashpoint or like in Injustice

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23158 posts) - - Show Bio

I have faith in the character, I have faith in the creative team, thus, I am excited for this title, it will be on my pull list.

#5 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: same, it will be on my pull list. The creative team did a great job with Power Girl. And Harley's an awesome person anyways

#6 Posted by SupBatz (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Yes, I've read Injustice #5. A very good example of what I'm looking for. She's funny, sympathetic, and cute but still not definitively good or evil. And a very good point about Harley being able to play well off of pretty much any other character. She a clown. The way she reacts to and plays off of others is what makes her fun. This is definitely something that I hope they channel for Harls' solo series.

#7 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz: have you read any of Suicide Squad? What do you think of the new Harley and her origin?

#8 Edited by SupBatz (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: I'm not a fan of what I've read (admittedly, I am not caught up on current events; I haven't read the entire series. Only issues 1-8 and then 14-15). I don't care for her new design just because I prefer Harley being able to walk around plain-clothed rather than permanently white skinned like the Joker. But my main beef with New 52 Harley is simply that she's no longer cute and fun. They've upped the sadism of the character and took away the enjoyable aspect of reading about Harley for me. She's too much like the Joker now and doesn't feel like as much of a distinct character as she did before the reboot.

Do you have any opinion of post-Flashpoint Harley?

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz: okay so I the first couple issues of Suicide Squad and I didn't like it. Harley was so boring and lost her charm. I also don't like her new origin. However, when the new creative team came in at issue 20, Suicide Squad was really good. Harley was better but still...ehh...the story was much better though. I hope this new Harley series strays away from Suicide Squad and bring back her original personality

#10 Edited by The Stegman (23158 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz: okay so I the first couple issues of Suicide Squad and I didn't like it. Harley was so boring and lost her charm. I also don't like her new origin. However, when the new creative team came in at issue 20, Suicide Squad was really good. Harley was better but still...ehh...the story was much better though. I hope this new Harley series strays away from Suicide Squad and bring back her original personality

In Suicide Squad she has a bomb in the back of her neck and is forced to kill people, of course it isn't gonna be as lighthearted as when she's on her own, which I hope this solo series showcases.

#11 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: yeah I understand that, but they made her totally uninteresting to read about. I still like Harley but New 52 was a total downgrade for her

#12 Edited by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I have faith in the character, I have faith in the creative team, thus, I am excited for this title, it will be on my pull list.

My sentiments exactly. I'm more than willing to give the series a shot, I really don't expect to be disappointed.

#13 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

My sentiments exactly. I'm more than willing to give the series a shot, I really don't expect to be disappointed.

pretty much. Harley's a great character and the creative team is reliable. Just wanted to see what others think

#14 Edited by cameron83 (6676 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

Going point by point:

1. I think that the series will fail if they try to make Harley too heroic OR too villainous. The endearing thing about Harley is that she isn't sadistic like the Joker. She's more misguided. But that certainly doesn't make her a hero. As long as they keep it heavy on the fun and don't stray too far in either direction (hero to villain or vice-versa) I will be fine with it.

2. I'd prefer if the book started without heavy inclusion of the Joker. Perhaps make it comparable to Gotham City Sirens. Harley may mention the Joker now and then. And it may be clear that he is still on her mind. But take time to show her away from him. But that doesn't mean we should keep her alone. Harley is at her best when she plays off of other characters. Introducing Poison Ivy and recreating their pre-Flashpoint dynamic would be a good way to move the story forward. And if we are going to have the Joker appear, let's give it a bit of time before he does. And perhaps be more original than the typical "Joker shows up, Harley is love-crazy, Joker betrays her in some way, Harley retaliates and renounces him" plot. We've seen that more than enough. It's time that someone takes their relationship in a different direction.

3. I'm fine with it. A new location might keep things fresh. But it might be a good idea to move her back to Gotham at some point along the line. Gotham is her home. And being there would allow for inclusion of more Gotham-based characters. Another thing I always liked about Harley was that she always seemed the enjoy the company of other villains. Plus, it would allow Batman to appear now and then. But this is something that I can wait for. If they want to keep her away from Gotham for a while, by all means do so.

4. I've made my opinion clear on this before so I'll just simply say that I'm not at all a fan of the look.

And a point that wasn't originally mentioned but that I feel is worth bringing up:

5. DON'T TRY TO MAKE HARLEY "DC'S DEADPOOL"

I've heard this mentioned several times now. Harley is not Deadpool. She is a very different sort of character. And I will be very disappointed if she is reduced to nothing more than a Deadpool rip-off in her own series.

this

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32848 posts) - - Show Bio

I want her to be murdering pepole, I don't want her to be some kind of accidental anti-hero

#16 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

She is a great character and I will be looking forward to picking this one up. I hope the creative team does well.

On a side note, I wish they would bring back Gotham City Sirens. It used to be one of my favorite books.

#17 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Man that issue of Injustice was fantastic. That was Harley written perfectly.

#18 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhh... I still think there are characters far more worthy of a title than Harley Quinn.

#19 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend: agreed. Gotham sirens was great. And that injustice issue made me smile so much. Best Harley in awhile

#20 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: not disagreeing with you but what characters do you have in mind? I actually can think of a couple, just wanna see who you want to see get a title.

#21 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Cyborg (at least a mini-series), Shazam, Booster Gold, The Atom (Ray Palmer), The Doom Patrol, Icon, Martian Manhunter, Red Robin, Deadman, and Black Canary are all deserving of a title. There's probably more, but I can't think of them right now.

#22 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

And they keep figuring out how to make Harley look worse, and worse, and worse, don't they? The jumpsuit was ok, the New 52 costume was kinda bad, the Injustice costume was absolutely horrible, and this new costume is definitely not a step in the right direction.

#23 Posted by Bucco3 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Y don't they just use the injustice costume

#24 Edited by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: check out my list from a couple days ago on heroes who should get their own series.

and yeah, Harley is looking worse each time

#25 Edited by ViperKing (422 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t see why we should have ever considered a Harley Quinn series. I still can’t believe that she has a series before notable heroes like Shazam. There are far more valuable characters that don’t have a series but instead, we decide to waste our resources on this insane killer. I would rather see a Plastic Man series. I am absolutely pissed off at this and I'm not looking forward to this series.

1. Anyways, I don’t necessarily know what enemies she will take on. After all, she isn’t necessarily a hero or a villain. I’m hoping the challenges she faces are more serious than it sounds.

2. I would rather see her as an independent woman, trying to break free from her love from the Joker. Her insanity would decrease, meaning that she isn’t lovesick for the Joker anymore. I hope the Joker doesn’t appear until the series ending.

3. I’m not sure. I’m guessing it means she moves into another hero’s city.

4. I hate her new look but I expect it will differ soon. There are eighteen different artists, so her look could change anytime the creative team wants.

#26 Edited by TDK_1997 (14467 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the New 52 she has been one of the most annoying characters in DC and with every day I was just starting to care less and less about her but with a creative team like this that made a great Power Girl series then I would definitely need to see this.And I would prefer if they make her some kind of an anti-hero that kills just too much.Like the female version of the Punisher.

#27 Edited by HarleysPuddin1419 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Harley's portrayal in Suicide Squad is to show us her darker side. She has had many years of the Jokers abuse physically and mentally that you see her become sinister. For example when she has Deadshot tied up with the Jokers face on him and she has a revelation telling him how she really feels before kissing him and then slaps him. She hates him but loves him at the same time and I think Harley in Suicide Squad shows us a different side to the usual mischief clown-ette we all know and love. I'll admit it took me a while to get used to her costume as sadly I think the artists are 'sexing' her up, however there is a new Harley Quinn image I've seen that isn't too bad. It still keeps the harlequin look of her original costume with a small 'peek a boo' in it. See what you guys think. (Not as revealing as her Injustice costume)

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@harleyspuddin1419: I like that picture. I think that costume could work. I do agree with what you said about her in Suicide Squad, but I just don't like it nearly as much as pre 52 Harley. She's simply not as entertaining anymore. Before, every scene with Harley could make you smile

#29 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.