Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2594 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Savior Harley -- INJUSTICE FOR ALL

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

Edited By Joygirl

So, I just finished Injustice: Gods Among Us #5. This is important because it marks the first time since... well, actually, since I cannot remember, that I have suddenly found myself with a wide, idiot grin on my face as I read a comic.

Harley has gone through a dark time over the past year. When Gotham City Sirens ended, fans threw up their hands as she turned back to the Joker. Now we have Suicide Squad, where her strength has become her undoing. She is independent, but she also isn't funny, cute, or really interesting at all. I had given up hope that I would ever see a well-written Harley Quinn again.

Then today happened. It started out with whispers... people know I am a big Harley fan.

"Hey, have you read the new Injustice?"

"It has Harley in it, you should check it out!"

"She is really cool!"

Unable to allow such gossip to go on without me knowing what was going on, I shelled out my dollah-dollah-billz and I caught up to #5, extremely reserved about what I was going to find within its electronic pages.

It starts strong, but I was still tentative. Harley being a total badass. That's fine, she has been badass before. She was badass in Suicide Squad, just not any fun. So I held tight to see how things panned out.

It was absolutely beautiful. It rolls from badass, to funny, back to badass, back to funny, to tragic, back to funny, with a strong streak of character and an underlying element of being simply adorable. Within this simple mini-issue, I believe the writer has the highest talent-to-character grasp ratio I have ever seen.

"What about Dini?!"

I love Dini, I really do. And he is still doing great stuff. But he was unwilling to let Harley ever move on. Now, we don't know what will happen with this newer Harley yet -- we know Injustice is finite, sure. But from the look of things? This is panning out to being the best-written rendition of the character since... well, ever. It has a perfect blend of everything that makes the character. It's a modern incarnation without being disfigured like the one in New 52. So, let's just hold on and hope for the best. Hope that maybe, sometime, someone will get a clue... that maybe this Injustice Harley can be the character's savior. That a difference can be made, and we can see a wonderful, hilarious, intelligent, adorable, strong, and romantic Harley Quinn once more.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Hear hear!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Joygirl
    No Caption Provided
    Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Franchise1590

I......LOVED this issue! I feared I may never see an updated version of classic Harley but god damnit there she was jumping right off the page! I almost sherd a tear at how much I was shocked, surprised, and overjoyed at page after page.

While this book may be limited, if nothing else it has given me hope for Harley and her future as a character. There ARE still writers out there who know how to capture the essence of the character and adapt her for N52!!!!

I feel no shame as a above average sized college educated grown Black man that I jumped around like a school boy who got his hands on a playboy after reading this comic. My only problem is....OF COURSE THEY ONLY GET HER RIGHT IN AN OUT OF CONTINUITY STORY!!! Of course that happens -_-...

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Blood1991

Now I have to go buy it! Great review Joygirl!

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SupBatz

That was the story to remind anyone why they love Harley. I hope someday Harley gets a solo series written like this.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

still need to pick Injustice up.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joygirl

Yeah, if this was a solo series, I'd overload. I'd buy two of every issue. One I would read and put away. The other I would throw into my bed so I could roll around in them while I sleep.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By wildvine

Nice review Joy. This just makes me want to read this even more. If it gets your approval, (as the boss Harley fan of CV) then maybe Harley is finally getting the respect and love she deserves. I will totally check this out.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By akbogert

@wildvine said:

Nice review Joy. This just makes me want to read this even more. If it gets your approval, (as the boss Harley fan of CV) then maybe Harley is finally getting the respect and love she deserves. I will totally check this out.

You should just be reading it on the principle that it is one of the best comics DC's putting out :P

...which, yeah, is a little sad, given its elseworld nature.

@Franchise1590 said:

My only problem is....OF COURSE THEY ONLY GET HER RIGHT IN AN OUT OF CONTINUITY STORY!!! Of course that happens -_-...

QFT.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Franchise1590 said:

I......LOVED this issue! I feared I may never see an updated version of classic Harley but god damnit there she was jumping right off the page! I almost sherd a tear at how much I was shocked, surprised, and overjoyed at page after page.

While this book may be limited, if nothing else it has given me hope for Harley and her future as a character. There ARE still writers out there who know how to capture the essence of the character and adapt her for N52!!!!

OF COURSE THEY ONLY GET HER RIGHT IN AN OUT OF CONTINUITY STORY!!! Of course that happens -_-...

This

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SNascimento

I loved Harley in this panel:

No Caption Provided

Also, from the fight with Wonder Woman, it seems they are capturing that personality into the fights. Things look good for Harley in this game.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SNascimento said:

I loved Harley in this panel:

No Caption Provided

Also, from the fight with Wonder Woman, it seems they are capturing that personality into the fights. Things look good for Harley in this game.

it'd be adorable if it wasnt.......y'know.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

That scene where she asks GA to give a maniacal laugh was BS. he would have kicked her in the face.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator

Onward to glory! Great blog, great issue, I sort of want more for Harley, but this pacifies me for the time being.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.