Looks vs Personality

Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to write this after reading Injustice, then decided not to. But having read the comments on the I miss the old Harley! thread, I must speak my mind. I believe my thoughts on N52 Harley's character are known. However, to hear that people are ready to compromise Harley's appearance for her personality? Is that a fair trade? How much do the clothes really make the man (or woman?)

First, let me say I loved Injustice Harley's character. It gives me hope that someone at DC remembers how to write Harley. Unfortunately the artist went all "realistic look" and stained what could have been a masterpiece. I did not like the costume. There was nothing fun, or clownish about it.

I refuse to accept more accurate character, at the expense of costume character. The right costume is important, I mean, what if Joker started parading around in a bio hazard suite? Or the Penguin started wearing a leotard everywhere? Hell, why not make Catwoman a cross dresser while we're at it!

I actually kinda like her N52 costume (if it is her, that is). I think the cape/skirt combo is cute. Though she could stand to show a little less flesh. So what's more important? Looks or personality? That's for you to decide, I want both. Because until Harley has both, she will always be incomplete.

Moderator
#1 Posted by The Stegman (23918 posts) - - Show Bio

i like everything about the New 52 Harley, both looks and personality wise. 

#2 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

i like everything about the New 52 Harley, both looks and personality wise.

This was actually more about Injustice Harley. Personality was spot on. costume was terrible.

Moderator
#3 Posted by The Stegman (23918 posts) - - Show Bio
@wildvine said:

@The Stegman said:

i like everything about the New 52 Harley, both looks and personality wise.

This was actually more about Injustice Harley. Personality was spot on. costume was terrible.

I know..but alas, I'm not reading Injustice, however, people complain about New 52 Harley a lot, and I wanna make my support known >.<
#4 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

I know..but alas, I'm not reading Injustice, however, people complain about New 52 Harley a lot, and I wanna make my support known >.<

To each their own. (Shrug)

Moderator
#5 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Personality all the way. Case in point, Power Girl getting her old costume back is not in any way going to help how horrendous her character is written. I'd be much more okay with her fugly costume if she was written by someone who respected her. But good costume and atrocious characterization is just no.

Also, N52 Harley is an abomination that doesn't deserve the name Harley Quinn...

#6 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh i'm no griefer in the slightest, Both her and Puddin are little meh, getting the short end, despite liking the design (Fudge you)

Personality counts more

#7 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that costume is monumentally important. And also that Injustice Harley has a pretty horrible costume (worse than New 52 look in my opinions). But I still have to say that characterization is far more important than costume. I'd easily trade Injustice Harley for New 52 Harley despite the look.

#8 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to say that if i had to choose between the two options. I'd go for how she's written. I can't stand it when characters suddenly act out of character for absolutely no reason. That said, i find the appearance important as well. If i absolutely hate the look, i can have difficulty looking through that to see the good parts of the character.

#9 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

As I said, I refuse to accept an incomplete Harley, that goes for Injustice, and N52.

Moderator
#10 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

As I said, I refuse to accept an incomplete Harley, that goes for Injustice, and N52.

Agreed ^_^

Toleration is different lol

#11 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

As I said, I refuse to accept an incomplete Harley, that goes for Injustice, and N52.

Understandable. I'd rather have the appearance match the written quality as well. But the first step towards restoring Harley to a character we can all enjoy is having her get written properly.

Do you have a particular design in mind that you want for Harley?

#12 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

Understandable. I'd rather have the appearance match the written quality as well. But the first step towards restoring Harley to a character we can all enjoy is having her get written properly.

Do you have a particular design in mind that you want for Harley?

I would love to see the classic look (or a version of). Something fun, something with colors. Like the N52 costume.

Moderator
#13 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@SupBatz said:

Understandable. I'd rather have the appearance match the written quality as well. But the first step towards restoring Harley to a character we can all enjoy is having her get written properly.

Do you have a particular design in mind that you want for Harley?

I would love to see the classic look (or a version of). Something fun, something with colors. Like the N52 costume.

Fun is definitely a must (Injustice look sorely lacks in that department). But I also want it to stay a more traditional than the New 52 look. Plus, I'm not a fan of her having taken a dip in the same chemicals as Joker. I think the Arkham City look or some altered version of it (with a domino mask!) would be perfect.

#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12931 posts) - - Show Bio

Personality can make you like a character with a horrible costume

#15 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Personality can make you like a character with a horrible costume

Not if you liked the character already. I love Harley. Still hated the Injustice costume.

Moderator
#16 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12931 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Personality can make you like a character with a horrible costume

Not if you liked the character already. I love Harley. Still hated the Injustice costume.

just proves my point. you still love the character which is the more important thing

#17 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

Fun is definitely a must (Injustice look sorely lacks in that department). But I also want it to stay a more traditional than the New 52 look. Plus, I'm not a fan of her having taken a dip in the same chemicals as Joker. I think the Arkham City look or some altered version of it (with a domino mask!) would be perfect.

Welcome to the resistance new friend. ^_^ We'll pester DC into meeting our demands yet!

Moderator
#18 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine

@SupBatz said:

Fun is definitely a must (Injustice look sorely lacks in that department). But I also want it to stay a more traditional than the New 52 look. Plus, I'm not a fan of her having taken a dip in the same chemicals as Joker. I think the Arkham City look or some altered version of it (with a domino mask!) would be perfect.

Welcome to the resistance new friend. ^_^ We'll pester DC into meeting our demands yet!

DC doesn't know what they're in for >:D. Never enrage a hoard of fans of a psychopathic clown!

#19 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Does beautiful voice fall under looks or personality?

#20 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

Does beautiful voice fall under looks or personality?

That is a subject beyond the scope of this blog.

Moderator
#21 Posted by Joygirl (19390 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

i like everything about the New 52 Harley, both looks and personality wise.

Get out.

#22 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

Until Harley has both, she will always be incomplete.

This

#23 Posted by RazzaTazz (9599 posts) - - Show Bio

The clothes make the man for Iron Man.  

Moderator
#24 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

The clothes make the man for Iron Man.

Point.

Moderator
#25 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

I was going to write this after reading Injustice, then decided not to. But having read the comments on the I miss the old Harley! thread, I must speak my mind. I believe my thoughts on N52 Harley's character are known. However, to hear that people are ready to compromise Harley's appearance for her personality? Is that a fair trade? How much do the clothes really make the man (or woman?)

First, let me say I loved Injustice Harley's character. It gives me hope that someone at DC remembers how to write Harley. Unfortunately the artist went all "realistic look" and stained what could have been a masterpiece. I did not like the costume. There was nothing fun, or clownish about it.

I refuse to accept more accurate character, at the expense of costume character. The right costume is important, I mean, what if Joker started parading around in a bio hazard suite? Or the Penguin started wearing a leotard everywhere? Hell, why not make Catwoman a cross dresser while we're at it!

I actually kinda like her N52 costume (if it is her, that is). I think the cape/skirt combo is cute. Though she could stand to show a little less flesh. So what's more important? Looks or personality? That's for you to decide, I want both. Because until Harley has both, she will always be incomplete.

Personality is far more important, and anyone who suggests otherwise is wildly sexist

#26 Posted by wildvine (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

Personality is far more important, and anyone who suggests otherwise is wildly sexist

You entirely missed the point of this blog. But thanks for reading

Moderator
#27 Edited by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: If you're interested, Legends of the Dark Knight (the digital series) issues 49-50 are going to be a two-part story starring Harley. I just read 49 and it's pretty fun. Plus, I like the looks just as much as the personality.

It's got a pretty interesting premise. Harley forces Batman to be her patient so that she can psychoanalyze him. It's fun so far so I have high hopes for the conclusion next week ^^.

#28 Edited by akbogert (3216 posts) - - Show Bio

First, a caveat: Harley's look in Injustice is a consequence of it being a NetherRealm game; that's pretty much a standard kunoichi appearance for MK games, terrible and revealing as it may be. That's not a defense by any means, but it is an explanation that somewhat lets the artist off the comic off the hook (just as certain unfavorable events in the comic were foisted upon Taylor and he had to write them in).

Anyhow, I'd say personality is definitely more important, but (personally) I view clothing as an outward expression of personality. As I've said elsewhere, clothing/fashion is a medium of communication, and what you wear will send messages to people whether you like it or not. I'd say Injustice Harley is the rare situation where the character is written so well that the costume's messaging -- which is that HQ is trash -- is overridden. But when you look at, say, Starfire, her outfit often sends the stronger message and people won't even take the time to find out what her personality is because they're making a snap judgment from her looks. So the outfit should complement the personality rather than clash with it, and I think there's a lot of clashing going on in Injustice. In N52 it sounds like the personality has been tarnished just as much as the outfit. And in the past you had a playful outfit to match the personality. So really, I think they go hand in hand.

I'm not sure if I have actually directly answered your question. Personality may be more important, but looks are often going to be a major factor in determining whether personality ever even comes into the picture. If it's a character I already know, and they start looking trashy/ridiculous, that won't usually make me ditch them; but if it's a character I don't know, the appearance may dissuade me from getting to know them in the first place. So maybe looks are more important in the short run but personality is more important in the long? *shrug*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.