Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2595 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Is Arleen Sorkin done voicing Harley?

sockman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To my knowledge, the last time that Arleen Sorkin, the original voice of Harley Quinn and the partial inspiration for her character, voiced the character was in Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009). Since then, Tara Strong has voiced Harley in Batman: Arkham City, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Batman: Arkham Origins. Has Sorkin retired from the role and handed it over to Strong?

Nothing against Tara Strong, she's a great voice actress, but I'm not really a fan of her Harley.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sockman19: She has retired from the role, I believe:

Sorkin has since retired from voicing Quinn and was replaced by Tara Strong for Batman: Arkham City, released in 2011.

Of all the people to be replaced by, I am happy it is Tara Strong. Whenever I would work with her, I'd marvel at how talented she is. In fact, I even told my husband about her and her abilities.

Credit Arleen Sorkin's Wikipedia and Quote from Arleen on the Batman Online website

Is it me, or is it hard to find actual sources on her retirement of the role?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

I think Tara was the best choice to replace Arleen.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing against Tara Strong, she's a great voice actress, but I'm not really a fan of her Harley.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

I didn't like her voice in the main game of Arkham City, but in the DLC it managed to get worse.

But what the hell is up with Harley's voice in these videos?

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

You've got to be kidding me. Is this not Tara Strong? Who...I don't even...

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sockman19: She has retired from the role, I believe:

Sorkin has since retired from voicing Quinn and was replaced by Tara Strong for Batman: Arkham City, released in 2011.

Of all the people to be replaced by, I am happy it is Tara Strong. Whenever I would work with her, I'd marvel at how talented she is. In fact, I even told my husband about her and her abilities.

Credit Arleen Sorkin's Wikipedia and Quote from Arleen on the Batman Online website

Is it me, or is it hard to find actual sources on her retirement of the role?

I don't think she ever actually said she retired. She made the above statement, and just kind of stopped voicing her.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@sockman19 said:

This. Tara has her moments as Harley (she was cute in Arkham Origins, but mostly because she was playing a pre-insane version of Harley and didn't go too over the top). Tara is great in most of her roles but her Harley needs some fine tuning.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: And then you hear her Harley again when you play the multiplayer.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

@modernww2fare said:

@sockman19 said:

This. Tara has her moments as Harley (she was cute in Arkham Origins, but mostly because she was playing a pre-insane version of Harley and didn't go too over the top). Tara is great in most of her roles but her Harley needs some fine tuning.

I agree. Could she just more or less use her voice from Origins all the time? Harley's voice doesn't have to be that high-pitched 24/7. I feel like she could voice her really well.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: But other than her voice not tying in with her other voice in Arkham City, the change in her voice shows the transition between her Harleen/Harley.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marionettegeist

@dr_harlequin: Yeah, I don't really want her to use that voice all the time but just something closer to it. I just think it would be better with a little more range.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Tara Strong's Harley was terrible. It was just a generalization of what Harley should be, a poor imitation at best.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Actually, I heard Rocksteady wanted to hear her version of Harley, not an Arleen impersonation.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Actually, I heard Rocksteady wanted to hear her version of Harley, not an Arleen impersonation.

If that is the case, she should have read more Harley comics. Making your voice a little higher and saying "Puddin" a lot does NOT a good Harley make.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marionettegeist

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

@dr_harlequin said:

If that is the case, she should have read more Harley comics. Making your voice a little higher and saying "Puddin" a lot does NOT a good Harley make.

Besides it DID come off as a poor Arleen impression. Timmy Turner + Arleen/Harley + 4Octaves. No offense to Strong of course. She actually is a very good voice actor.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

@dr_harlequin said:

Besides it DID come off as a poor Arleen impression. Timmy Turner + Arleen/Harley + 4Octaves. No offense to Strong of course. She actually is a very good voice actor.

Of course, I know she's a great voice actor. Just look what she did with Raven, Cindy or Timmy Turner. She's just not a very good Harley.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: It may still come across as an imitation, but maybe she's also still holding back because of Rocksteady. (I remember them saying to do her own version, I just gotta find it!)

And since it's Thanksgiving, I might as well say I'm thankful it's her and not the one from the cartoon: The Brave and the Bored. Ha.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: It may still come across as an imitation, but maybe she's also still holding back because of Rocksteady. (I remember them saying to do her own version, I just gotta find it!)

And since it's Thanksgiving, I might as well say I'm thankful it's her nd not the one from the cartoon: The Brave and the Bored. Ha.

Now that you mention it, am I the only one who thought she sounded a lot different in Injustice? That might just have been because she was kind of a "good guy" though.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: She kinda did now that I try to remember what she sounded like in Injustice, especially during her Puddin' hum...>.> Must...listen...now.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i heard tara was gonna do an arleen impression but rocksteady said they wanted her version so tara did a little of arleen and did her version.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Herokiller12344

For video games anyway, the torch has been passed. And since I'm hopelessly obsessed with Tara Strong, I can't say that I'm upset.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Strong did a terrible job in the Arkham games but was very good in Injustice, leading me to believe that the voice direction and ideas for the character were partly to blame.

Still, the best replacement has proven herself to be Hynden Walch, as seen in The Batman and Assault on Arkham. She captures the tone and energy of the character very well, as opposed to strong's more low-key, downtrodden version.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Still, the best replacement has proven herself to be Hynden Walch, as seen in The Batman and Assault on Arkham. She captures the tone and energy of the character very well, as opposed to strong's more low-key, downtrodden version.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree less. Walch is horrible in Assault on Arkham.

Sorkin had a GIFT. To be so high-pitched and not have it become grating is a miracle. Strong did okay, but still can't hold a candle to the original. Here's hoping Sorkin isn't done forever.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liveforever: I prefer Walch because I can't stand Tara Strong's Harley in Arkham City.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@joygirl said:

Sorkin had a GIFT. To be so high-pitched and not have it become grating is a miracle. Strong did okay, but still can't hold a candle to the original. Here's hoping Sorkin isn't done forever.

got to agree with this....she was horrible

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liveforever said:

@joygirl said:

got to agree with this....she was horrible

THIS.. so much

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.