Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2595 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Interview: Jimmy Palmiotti Talks HARLEY QUINN, Valentine's Day, and Roller Derby

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner have been giving us a refreshingly funny and over the top comic with HARLEY QUINN. Chad Hardin's art with Alex Sinclair's colors make a great comic even better.

With Valentine's Day happening this month, Palmiotti and Conner decided to subject poor Harley to the day for lovers during a time when she's feeling a little down. We asked Jimmy some questions about how the day affects her plus what we can expect in her personal and professional life in the coming months.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: It seems like being around Harley during Valentine's Day could be dangerous. Would this be correct?

JIMMY PALMIOTTI: For different reasons than you might think. Our girl is feeling a little left out in the cold as far as the love department goes and because of a little gift left behind from a close friend, all hell breaks loose. This really is a case of love hurting. Thank God this holiday happens just once a year.

No Caption Provided

CV: Obviously Harley's very fixated on Joker, despite sometimes realizing he may not be what's best for her. Could it ever be possible for Harley to enter another relationship?

JP: Since the Joker is off the grid these days, she will have to find love somewhere else. She has a lot of animal friends that fit the bill somewhat, but really falling head-over-heels over a new person would be dangerous for everyone involved. That said, look out for someone new to make his or her way into her heart some time soon. A gal got to move on.

CV: Poison Ivy's always been a good friend to Harley. She's been in a couple issues so far. Will she continue to make appearances or does she have her own business to take care of?

JP: Best friends hang out with each other, so Ivy will never be too far away. They have a very special relationship, and for us, storytelling wise, its fun to see Harley thru Ivy’s eyes now and again. Ivy will be helping Harley with one of her major problems very soon around issue 7 and it's a all girls adventure that involves a slumber party.

CV: Will we see more roller derby?

JP: Yes, we will be seeing more of her in roller derby action and getting to know the girls in the team, as well as Harley's other job. We set up the series so Harley is never ever bored and always has the next thing to go to. Issue 4 and 5 shows this to the extreme. Harley herself is hyper, a bit crazy and always looking for something fun to do, so we make sure to give her what she wants. The roller derby is a perfect pace for her to get out her frustration. I feel for the opposing team. Big time.

CV: We have to assume Batman is aware where she's at. I mean, we're seeing a bunch of killers able to find her. Is Batman okay with where she's at, for now, since she's not causing problems in Gotham? He is kind of busy.

JP: Batman is busy because just look at all the books he is in! He has so much on his plate right now and now more adventures weekly that Harley is barely on his radar. We have some plans down the line that involve Harley traveling a bit and getting into trouble back home, but a lot is happening before that. I would love to hear what other characters the fans of the book would like Harley to interact with. Maybe they can post some idea below this interview.

HARLEY QUINN #4
    HARLEY QUINN #4

CV: Harley's supporting cast seems to be growing (new neighbors in issue #4). Will she become protective of them because of all the danger she's attracting?

JP: She is protective to a point. Remember, she is also dangerous, and not always on purpose. We are having fun with the new cast and Big Tony will be building Harley something that we think will be talked about for years for Harley. It will be located on her roof. That's all I can say for now. Even though Amanda couldn't do this interview, I can hear her telling me to be quiet about it.

CV: Is she still determined to keep all the animals she recently rescued?

JP: Sure. Could you get rid of any of yours? She took them in and is a semi-responsible parent.

No Caption Provided

CV: What would be the best and worst gift someone could give Harley for Valentine's Day?

JP: The best thing would be a get out of jail card. The worst, making her feel claustrophobic. Something about cornering Harley…it just isn’t safe.

HARLEY QUINN #3 is now on sale. Issue #4 is on sale March 19. Be sure to put your suggestions below as to who you'd want to see Harley run into future issues.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Harley should team up with someone totally random like Hawkman or Aquaman

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Wow, wouldn't that make for high drama? Excellent idea!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@grey56 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I could see them both really stressing out over Harley's antics lol

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah but particularly the 'morning after' like effects on the community; talk about a dirty little secret that could add serious intrigue at any operations meeting inside the watch-tower.

Damn; I really hope your idea catches fire because the secondary effects could be fantastic particularly if the Joker were to take an active, jealous role against whomever she was knocking boots with.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Soooo she's dc's deadpool

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief: I didn't know Deadpool was the be all and end all of comedy books?

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief:

"Everyone come quick!! A contrarian is in town!!!"

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@grey56 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I could see them both really stressing out over Harley's antics lol

Or she could team up with green arrow :D

I think that could be fun in any universe

That or catwoman, or maybe even birds of prey.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By lifeboy

I don't want harley to interact with anyone. Well, maybe a team-up with Krypto. Or a hardcore, bloody fight with Huntress. And thanks for possibly taking our suggestions. Your pretty awesome about that!

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Martian Manhunter! He'd go insane trying to read her hectic mind!

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would love her to find a love interest (Jonah Hex also keep Gina puleeze!) and perhaps someone halfway normal would provide some fun moments since she's so crazy. As far as team-ups, hmm. I think her interacting with a totally serious character like Wonder Woman would be interesting but I'd rather see you build up her own supporting cast.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm...I'd actually like to see her hang out with Green Arrow a bit. The two had some fun interactions in Injustice which I think could translate well to the DCnU canon.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

An Aquaman and Harley adventure would be awesome!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

If Injustice has shown us anything, it's that she should team up with Green Arrow

Park

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

If Injustice has shown us anything, it's that she should team up with Green Arrow

LadyLaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LadyLaughter

It would be interesting to see how Harley could react if she encounters Duela Dent. Two clowns very attached to the Joker's figure :P

Also, I consider myself a fan of the Joker-Harley moments, the relationship they share is what attracted me the most when I saw Harley for the first time in The Animated Series. She is the only gal in the world that has seen the Joker at his worst, the only gal that has seen the infamous Clown Prince of Crime behind his smile and that's fascinating.

I would like to see the Joker appearing eventually in the series. If someone appears in the picture trying to woo Harley, I don't think that The Joker is gonna like it. An act of jealousy and doing something nice (for once!) to take her back will put a smile on the faces of a lot of fans like me ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@park said:

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea but Injustice Green Arrow and New 52 Green Arrow are totally different

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@park said:

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea but Injustice Green Arrow and New 52 Green Arrow are totally different

Eh, I think it's just the stuff they go through. Right now, Ollie is going through some tough sh*t with the Island, Shado and in the past with Vertigo and all that. He's not as...chipper as Injustice Ollie, but in a light hearted story involving Harley, he could probably loosen up.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

It's like listening to the ramblings of an arrogant madman. Seriously, every time a word comes out of Palmiotti's mouth, I hear a kitten being drowned. Out of all the DC writers you could interview, did you really have to go with Jimmy-Boy? You might as well go all the way and do a triple header next week of Frank Miller, Rob Liefield and Paul Dini, with a sneak peek of Joel Schumacher's script for the next Batman movie. Palmiotti is scum, pure scum, from the inside out.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@master_thief: I didn't know Deadpool was the be all and end all of comedy books?

You've never met a marvelnow! zombie? Be afraid! Be very very afraaaaaaiid!

leah8954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By leah8954

I think running into another Batman villain would be a nice change of pace. Harley, lately at least, has strayed so far from her roots and it would be nice to see her be an actual foe against the Bat or at least have like a team up with one of the villains for an issue. Hey, maybe she could kill Joker's daughter for messing with her ex's face, just an idea. I'd def like to see it.

But with that being said. Palmiotti really doesn't know how to write characters like Poison Ivy and such, so I doubt he'd be able to tackle other Batman villains. God that 2nd issue, Ivy was so soft and mild and mindlessly murdered people for NO reason it's just- ugh! I don't have a problem with Ivy killing people, I really don't. She's a villain, even if DC wants to make her an anti-hero, I prefer her as a villain. A tragic one. But there's gotta be an agenda, they have to have someone who scorned her in some way. She isn't the Joker who kills people for a laugh and for no reason. Not to mention, Palmiotti specifically ignored the verbal abuse which is very present in Harley and Ivy's relationship which reallllyyyy annoys me to no end. Maybe he did it for fan service, maybe cus he's just didn't read up. But whatever, it worked somehow. Fans loved it. Most did that is. Which is ignorant of them. I like Joker and Harley together, I prefer them together. But I would be pissed beyond belief(and i'm sure everyone else would too) if some writer wrote it as a lovey-dovey romance and ignored canon, luckily DC is good at showcasing how abusive it is sense Joker is their big bad villain who makes them money. But as for Harley and Ivy, no one cares how they're written, as long as they're "hot besties killing people and kissing each other". It's like fanfiction. Bad fanfiction. And I'm not looking forward to what he does to Ivy in issue 7.

Edit: And I get its supposed to be a lighthearted fun comic series. But that doesn't means it's a free for all to do whatever you want and ignore things that you don't like.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: He butchered, and I mean BUTCHERED the character of Harley Quinn. She is not at all funny, not at all likable, not at all cute, not at all sexy, not at all interesting and not at all developed...At all. His work with Poison Ivy has been equally as shameful and disgusting. I think my review of Harley Quinn #2 - Helter Shelter sums up why I have so much hatred for Jim. And I hate Jonah Hex too, though if you like him that's okay.

My Review...

Braydenrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Poison Ivy please! Catwoman would be great, too. It would be nice to see our Sirens together again. Maybe Batgirl as well, I would love to see them interact since the first since like the animated series.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief: Despite everyone's negative responses to your comment, I'd have to say that I believe that her series DC's response to Deadpool. Meaning, I wouldn't be surprised if Deadpool's popularity influenced the decision to create this book.

I don't see why people get all upset when somebody mentions this. It's not a bad thing for one work to be influenced by another. After all, the creation of the Fantastic Four was influenced by the Justice League and plenty of comics were influenced by the X-Men. Marvel and DC have been borrowing ideas from each other, as well as plenty of other sources (I'm looking you, Thor and Wonder Woman), since the get-go.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 looks to be fun, the kind of fun i need for this book. a spork??? lol what is that going to do? lol. that's a awesome cover too (if it is a cover)

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leah8954 said:

I think running into another Batman villain would be a nice change of pace. Harley, lately at least, has strayed so far from her roots and it would be nice to see her be an actual foe against the Bat or at least have like a team up with one of the villains for an issue. Hey, maybe she could kill Joker's daughter for messing with her ex's face, just an idea. I'd def like to see it.

But with that being said. Palmiotti really doesn't know how to write characters like Poison Ivy and such, so I doubt he'd be able to tackle other Batman villains. God that 2nd issue, Ivy was so soft and mild and mindlessly murdered people for NO reason it's just- ugh! I don't have a problem with Ivy killing people, I really don't. She's a villain, even if DC wants to make her an anti-hero, I prefer her as a villain. A tragic one. But there's gotta be an agenda, they have to have someone who scorned her in some way. She isn't the Joker who kills people for a laugh and for no reason. Not to mention, Palmiotti specifically ignored the verbal abuse which is very present in Harley and Ivy's relationship which reallllyyyy annoys me to no end. Maybe he did it for fan service, maybe cus he's just didn't read up. But whatever, it worked somehow. Fans loved it. Most did that is. Which is ignorant of them. I like Joker and Harley together, I prefer them together. But I would be pissed beyond belief(and i'm sure everyone else would too) if some writer wrote it as a lovey-dovey romance and ignored canon, luckily DC is good at showcasing how abusive it is sense Joker is their big bad villain who makes them money. But as for Harley and Ivy, no one cares how they're written, as long as they're "hot besties killing people and kissing each other". It's like fanfiction. Bad fanfiction. And I'm not looking forward to what he does to Ivy in issue 7.

Edit: And I get its supposed to be a lighthearted fun comic series. But that doesn't means it's a free for all to do whatever you want and ignore things that you don't like.

I read this. Twice. It has some merit, a lot even. Having seen some of the fan fiction my wife reads; I agree with the fourth point which references this.

I agree with the other three at least in premise as well; though saying that someone with behavioural issues isn't acting how they 'normally' would is somewhat tenuous is something that any writer could hop in to respond to this argument.

Your last point also has some resonance as well; a character property should attempt to maintain consistency in cannon to provide maximum access to readers of multiple generations. I haven't read enough of Harley (outside her Batman & Detective appearances or Dini Animated iterations) to comment on this.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

harley needs someone fun and funny to hang around with so jokes can be made. cant think of anyone who can keep up with her but whoever can that's who i want in the book. maybe trickster (prankster?) from the rogues but definitely catwoman and ivy. LOVED gotham sirens so even if its just for one storyarc would love to see that trio again

leah8954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grey56: I agree I did get caught up in Ivy's characterization. Interpretations of a fictional character are always open to the writer. But I, as a fan, am also allowed to criticize it if I don't like it. I am buying the comic after all.

This new series really isn't awful. But it isn't great. Like I said, sorta feels like mediocre Fanfic.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leah8954:

I could not agree more with you; in fact I've been known to become outright vehement with other folks on here for blind adherence to character properties being done in ways completely inconsistent with the artistic inception.

You're right to speak your mind about something you're putting money toward; in fact it's a commendation to your character that you feel so strongly as to voice it amidst a less than knowledgeable crowd at times.

Preach on.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braydenrules said:

More Poison Ivy please! Catwoman would be great, too. It would be nice to see our Sirens together again. Maybe Batgirl as well, I would love to see them interact since the first since like the animated series.

So you WANT Palmiotti to continue to rape Poison Ivy? I wouldn't be surprised if the new Gotham City Sirens are now Nazis who butcher orphans by dipping them in vats of acid. It's not beneath those idiots at DC.

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: so messing up a fictional character makes him scum inside and out? That's kinda harsh

Yeah, maybe scum is too harsh. Still, Jim Palmiotti is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less...Well, actually a LOT less, but you get the point.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Master_Thief

@master_thief: Despite everyone's negative responses to your comment, I'd have to say that I believe that her series DC's response to Deadpool. Meaning, I wouldn't be surprised if Deadpool's popularity influenced the decision to create this book.

I don't see why people get all upset when somebody mentions this. It's not a bad thing for one work to be influenced by another. After all, the creation of the Fantastic Four was influenced by the Justice League and plenty of comics were influenced by the X-Men. Marvel and DC have been borrowing ideas from each other, as well as plenty of other sources (I'm looking you, Thor and Wonder Woman), since the get-go.

Thank you!!!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I cant blame you for being mad though. having characters you enjoy bastardized is never fun. Take it from a Creeper fan,

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like Jimmy to team-up Harley with either PENNYWORTH or the COMISH, and really just go crazy with it :D Make them do things that they wouldn't be caught dead doing in a regular issue of Batman. Or Damian... but he's "dead". lol

Make it happen Jimmy!

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Wilbertus

I would love to hear what other characters the fans of the book would like Harley to interact with. Maybe they can post some idea below this interview.

As much as I despise the character and would prefer not to see her in any more publications, I would love to see Joker's Daughter get her ass kicked by Harley! I am really loving Harley in this series, by the way! :)

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By DonFelipe

Harley should team-up with Booster Gold!

I'd also like the following brilliant ideas...

@hamlet33 said:

Martian Manhunter! He'd go insane trying to read her hectic mind!

It would be interesting to see how Harley could react if she encounters Duela Dent. Two clowns very attached to the Joker's figure :P

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to see her interact with "Red Hood And the Outlaws". Maybe a bit of a team-up/problem relationship would be awesome!

LadyLaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LadyLaughter

@leah8954: Yeah, that's what bothers me beyond reason; the writers have to respect the canon because that's what made us love the characters in the first place.

Regarding Harley, they cannot make her forget about the Joker with other guys! That would definitely destroy the essence of the character and a lot of the fans would be very pissed off. The Harley we all know can't live without the Joker, he is always in her mind and she would never betray him. I remember how upset the fans were when Harley and Deadshot kissed in the Suicide Squad. People were really, really angry.

By the way, I hated Harley in the Suicide Squad, she was completely out of character there.

LadyLaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LadyLaughter

@supbatz: I agree with all your points. Joker is incapable of showing affection to anyone but he has tried to learn all the emotions he cannot understand through Harley, and that's interesting. I think that Mark Hamill said something similar once in an interview.

I hope we could see them working together in the future, they collaborations are always memorable

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we ever going to see a Star Sapphire Harley?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.