Harley quinn fan question...

#1 Posted by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are there so many Harley Quinn fans who are passionate about her original costume

example

Harley Quinn gets a different costume in arkham city-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume in injustice-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume in new 52-fans hate it

#2 Edited by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

so why cant you fans let it go? thats my question JOYGIRL! stay out of this!

#3 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

The arkham one is not that bad.

In Injustice she's almost naked.

And in new-52..hell, her skin is actually white. >_>

#4 Posted by Joygirl (19914 posts) - - Show Bio

JOYGIRL! stay out of this!

First time I've been specifically told to stay out of a thread.

I feel... special. Warm, almost. Tingly.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (24322 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind her New 52 costume, I haven't seen her Injustice Costume, nor her Arkham city one.

#6 Posted by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

The original suit is by far the best, but I do like other Harley outfits.I really like the Arkham Asylum nurse outfit and the Arkham city tank top/ pig-tail combo. I also liked the Harley Quinn's revenge outfit.

I think the injustice outfit and the suicide squad get-up with the 2-tone hair dye job looks like garbage.

For me it's not about being a purest, it's an aesthetic thing. The original design just looks the best. Maybe because it was designed for animation, it's a simple design with clean lines, no unnecessary detail, and a great silhouette.

#7 Posted by Joygirl (19914 posts) - - Show Bio

@breadspread: Her Injustice Insurgency outfit is bitchin'.

#8 Posted by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: yeah that one isn't too bad, I haven't seen all the outfits from injustice. The one I did see was awful.

#9 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe:

HEr ARkham city one is one of my favorites!! So hot

#10 Posted by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Joygirl (19914 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her original costume most.

I think it suits her personality in a way that the other costumes don't.

#13 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are there so many Harley Quinn fans who are passionate about her original costume

example

Harley Quinn gets a different costume slutty costume that objectifies her in arkham city-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume slutty costume that objectifies her in injustice-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume slutty costume that objectifies her in new 52-fans hate it

There, I fixed it.

#14 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10743 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@lifeofvibe said:

example

Harley Quinn gets a different costume slutty costume that objectifies her in arkham city-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume slutty costume that objectifies her in injustice-fans hate it

Harley Quinn gets a new costume slutty costume that objectifies her in new 52-fans hate it

There, I fixed it.

You know her original costume did that too.

I am just against anything that make her the female version of The Joker, green hair, white skin and all of those.

Also her 52 new costumes sucks, they try to make her Arkham Harley and failed, then Injustice takes this design and decide to take the worst of it.

#15 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: You know it actually didn't, and none of what you posted was her original costume (from either the cartoon that invented her or her first appearances in comics).

#16 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10743 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@deathpoolthet1000: You know it actually didn't, and none of what you posted was her original costume (from either the cartoon that invented her or her first appearances in comics).

Yeah dude, you obviously cant see anything sexual about a spandex costume that let you see her body, he ass and tits, there is nothing sexual on this costume.
This is juts more obvious, too obvious.

#17 Edited by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: isnt that her character? isnt that the way she got an A on a test when she wasnt supposed to? as far as i know her being like that is nouthing knew. so yeah there you go.

#18 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10743 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe: She was sexual in a not so obvious way, the new 52 costume is just too obvious for no reason.

#19 Posted by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: what wrong with it being abvious? i see nouthing wrong with it. its like askkng why wonder woman doesn't wear pants any more or why somtimes poison ivy is coverd up and somtimes she not. like harley the slutyness has been incorperatiod in her so shes exposed.

#20 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her original costume most.

I think it suits her personality in a way that the other costumes don't.

This.

#21 Posted by DrowningCactus (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her original costume best but can't a girl have more than one outfit? Harley is addicted to shopping...she would have many outfits. I think Jim Lee did a interesting job with the new costume. And why can't people ever say "sexually empowering" instead of "slutty"?

#22 Edited by BR_Havoc (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

@drowningcactus: When a writer has a line in a comic comparing her vagina to a clown car, The empowering angle goes out the window.

I have enjoyed most of Harley's outfits threw out the years (Only one I was not crazy about was her first skin from Injustice) but I think Jim Lee's design for her new 52 design is horrible the bleached skin and the hole juggalo face paint. It's terrible this is a standard and horrible "edgy" girl design from the 90's.

From the sounds of it Conner's wants to have her in a lot of different outfits and that could be fun but in the end nothing beats her original look.

#23 Posted by DrowningCactus (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks a lot! I'd finally managed to get the clown car vagina image out of my mind, but there it is again...

Well, I know I agree with a lot of people that the new 52 Harley took too many liberties with her origin and appearance (white skin, two toned hair). I thought it added more depth to her character when she chose a life of crime rather than getting pushed into some chemicals. It was also a testament to the jokers sheer genius that he could turn an up and coming psychoanalyst into a nut job. We can only hope that DC reverts to her original origin story and appearance some day.

On that note, Ales Kot's Harley is amazing! He's only three issues in and Harley's been in Kitty cat PJ's, she has a Die Antwoord poster on her cell wall, and she says things like "Check out mah gangsta skeelz."

#24 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

@drowningcactus: and that's why the fact that Kot is back off the book after next issue is depressing.

#25 Posted by DrowningCactus (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: you just broke my heart. Seriously. That's really horrible news. I just looked it up since you told me and it doesn't sound like he wanted to leave the book at all. What is happening?! Thanks for letting me know but...I...um...I'm going to go cry into issue 21 now...

#26 Posted by SupBatz (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

I love her Arkham City costume. Her Injustice Insurgency costume (NOT the green and red haired one) is also pretty great.

Her New 52 design, on the other hand, ceases to be Harley Quinn. It's too close to the Joker. I don't like the idea that her skin is perma-white. It's far too revealing (I can even ignore that aspect though; I don't like it but I can tolerate it).
It's not really a matter of design though. I, and I'd argue most hardcore Harley fans, wouldn't mind a poor design so long as the characterization is good. That means more fun, less sadistic and overtly sexualized.

#27 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@lifeofvibe said:

example

There, I fixed it.

I laughed so hard there.

#28 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Harley fans probably got into the character in what I think were her most famous years: Batman: The Animated Series. She was funny and adorable and her costume was in sync with that, it was iconic. For a kid's t.v. show, it wasn't showing too much (maybe a little when you get to the more detailed versions in her mainstream comics). People feel protective of the characters they've known and loved. When they think that someone is trying to exploit her attractive aspect, they will call it out. Even if you think the original did the same, the costume that fans latched on to, isn't as intentional as the other versions are.

Arkham City: In this game, her costume is designed to fit the tone of the environment and show her dark militant side. It's a step up from the Arkham Asylum costume; however, I don't think most fans hate this as much as the other versions, as it was probably the closest to the original (But the original is what was wanted). It was even said that this inspired the New 52 design because people "liked" it. But you will find people who will say it shows skin/cleavage, just to draw some attention to the gamer audience who like that. And a little rant from me: what's up with the collar's in the Arkham series? I don't like what that signifies at all, even if it may seem that way-ughAhhhhh! (protectiveness)

First Appearance in Injustice
New 52

Injustice: The first one you see. Yeah, that one. It looks off. Why is part of her hair green there? Why does she have a huge gap in the middle of her outfit and bleh...you get it. People want something close to the original or, if possible, something that's better (obviously). This one seems to deviate a little too much. The second outfit you see (Insurgency) isn't that bad, but still not better than the original (again, obviously). People probably get protective about how she's barely wearing a shirt.

New 52: Okay, now I REALLY shouldn't be explaining my thoughts on this one. She's barely wearing clothes, like, at all. It shows more than anything the other versions have and it's deviating way too much from the original image of Harley. People could barely notice that this was Harley, like I said before, I didn't even recognize her! This is a change fans didn't like. You really shouldn't blame them.

I always thought Harley was more cute than "sexy", but it doesn't mean she can't be sexually empowering when she needs to be. The thing is, the original outfit could lean towards both possibilities without having to be so overtly sexualized.

I don't know...that's just my perspective on this. Sorry for the wall of text.

#29 Edited by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

Not defending her costume because I'm not a fan buuutttt.........Sometimes I think people forget she is a villain and shouldn't be considered a good example nor held to the same standards

#30 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Don't worry, you can still be a Harley fan and like it, but a lot of people seem to not like it.

#31 Edited by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Don't worry, you can still be a Harley fan and like it, but a lot of people seem to not like it.

I can understand them not liking the new costume. Like I said I'm not a fan of new 52 costume myself even though I was open to something new. It's just my opinion is based on personal tastes and nothing more.

#32 Edited by lifeofvibe (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: that's the best answer ive got out of this thread good job by the way the only reason I like the new 52 one is not because shes sexy its more like it makes her look badass but anyway There going back to her old Color scheme and a new costume wich like more then this one

#33 Edited by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe Gonna make it real simple and what it's really all about at every core of most people's hate for anything but the original (regardless if its a snack, food, shirt, school, or anything else) and I might get some backlash for my blunt response but here goes anyway.

It's because it was Harley's first costume and symbolized her at her most "innocent." A lot of fans were raised with BTAS Harley, even me, while they were growing up and have trouble seeing her any other way because of either pure nostalgia clouding their judgement or making the unwise move to put a fictional character in a franchise that always evolves on the same pedestal and emotional respect to a real family member or pet. Making Harley more mature and more fitting to her role as the popular psychopathic moll is the equivalent, to the most hardcore of fans, to making Peter Pan grow up and be an adult and get a job. It's pure blasphemy to these type of fans and it creates the feeling that possibly the only good thing in their childhood is tainted and perverted now or the only thing that was purely "innocent" about Harley is taken away. It's all about what is innocent or pure at the end rather than actually analyzing and criticizing the concept in order to make it a better character.

I could say a lot more about this topic but I think @dr_harlequin covered it more on this topic.

#34 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

In regard to the New 52 one: I hate it because it looks stupid. It's a terrible design. That's it. No nostalgia, no "That's not may Harley!", its just very, very, dumb looking. If I had no idea who Harley Quinn was I'd hate it all the same.

#35 Edited by SupBatz (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

@siycobat: Again, I very strongly disagree. I won't repeat the bulk of what I said here: http://www.comicvine.com/harley-quinn/4005-1696/forums/discussion-time-harley-quinns-new-origin-658012/?page=2#js-message-60

But in summary, to say that dislike for this interpretation of Harley is based solely on nostalgia is to drastically reduce the issue to its most basic form. Heck, that's like saying that we should accept any change to any character just because things change with the times.

I don't want Harley to remain the same perpetually. To become a stagnant joke of a character. But that does not mean that I want to see her so drastically betrayed. Changes that have been made to her as of late, not just the appearance but the personality, have stripped away some of the most endearing qualities of the character. Again, I speak more about that in the link above, so I won't repeat myself. But I don't think it is fair to say that "It's all about what is innocent or pure at the end rather than actually analyzing and criticizing the concept in order to make it a better character." I have analyze the sh*t out of Harley. And I have come to the conclusion that I do not like this current interpretation of her. Not just out of nonsensical nostalgia. But out of genuine dislike for the two-dimensional nature of her current portrayal as well as due to the lack of Harley's original charm that first attracted me (and most people, I'd assume) to the character.

#36 Edited by ganon15 (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley's Costume as it was originally designed back in 1992:

Anything slutty here, officers?

(@deathpoolthet1000 Deviantart doesn't count! )

#37 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: Nope, not at all compared to the others!

And I don't think any fan art would count. Only things that came from DC

#38 Edited by ganon15 (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin said:

@ganon15: Nope, not at all compared to the others!

And I don't think any fan art would count. Only things that came from DC

Exactly. Court adjourned!

#39 Posted by Onyx_Nine (20 posts) - - Show Bio

My only questions is. Harley and Ivy do they know each other in the new 52?. I really liked their relation since batman the animated series, it was fun.

#40 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

@onyx_nine: If you read Harley Quinn #0, she acknowledges Ivy as her gal pal in one of the dreams. The solicitation for Harley Quinn #2 says Ivy will be a guest star in it. So I guess so.

#41 Edited by Onyx_Nine (20 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.