Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2594 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Favorite version of Harley Quinn?

xposipx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By xposipx

Without changing physically, Harley's character varies depending on the writer. Many people were turned off by the animated version and never gave her a chance afterwords. What they have missed out on is an in-depth character with more to her than "Mistah J" and "puddin."

1. Animated TV Show Harley - "Mistah J!" "Puddin'!" Here we have the original intended to purely be Joker's sidekick who brings out a side of the Joker we had never seen prior to her existence. She's fun-loving, goofy and crazy and gained popularity because that is a good combination for a cartoon character.

2. Kesel's Harley - Jump ahead 2 years to her very own 2000 solo series! Karl Kesel stayed true to the core character and wrote a ridiculously weird 25 comics about Harley 
    going solo with her own group of henchmen. Well, at the time it was relatively successful , but the character was no longer dependent on the Joker. She relied on causing mild scenes in Gotham and relationships/socializing with other people.

3. AJ Lieberman's Harley - When Kesel was done, Lieberman wrote #26-38 of her solo series. Many people HATED or ignored these issues because she was written similarly to Catwoman or a sadistic Batgirl. The jokes are few and far between and she is ruthless and murderous and relies on no one. The soft side is there, but the comic relief is mostly gone and is the polar opposite of Harley #1 and 2. She is constantly stealing while being conflicted about love and doing the right thing morally.

4. Arkham Asylum/Suicide Squad Harley - Not sure on this yet, but the pictures lead me to believe she had drastically changed again. For the better or worse, who knows? She hasn't shown much personality yet, but I'm seeing little similarities between this one and any of the previous three.

If I had to chose I would take #3. How about you?

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1 it was closest to her creators vision of her

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:

#1 it was closest to her creators vision of her

yeah ditto
    garrison12795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By garrison12795

I'll always prefer classic Harley. Or say, Gotham City Sirens Harl.
    xposipx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xposipx
    @garrison12795: Yeah the cool thing about GCS is that Dini kept true to his creation with the character. He made her evolve without compromising the character. GCS is my favorite series she's included in.
    menialJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By menialJester

I'll always enjoy classic Harley. She made cartoons epic to watch, and her costume was briliant. GCS Harley was great, and had some really lol-able lines. I'm curious to see how #4 Harls will turn out

AsMadAsAHatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AsMadAsAHatter

I'd have to pick 1 or 2. I like her comic relief side. :)
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cosmo111687

Number 1, without a doubt. And Gotham City Sirens. :)

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#1 with a bullet fired from a comical oversized popgun.

dazzler_xhel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By dazzler_xhel

arkham assylum !!!  

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By MrUnknown

The arkham asylum vision is still by the same creator. It's certainly not the same as the Suicide Squad version either. I'm conflicted between the video game version and the original cartoon version.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i'm going to be the outcast and pick three because 

The jokes are few and far between and she is ruthless and murderous and relies on no one. The soft side is there, but the comic relief is mostly gone and is the polar opposite of Harley #1 and 2. She is constantly stealing while being conflicted about love and doing the right thing morally

this seems like the kind of Harley she SHOULD be, i really dislike comic relief characters.
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Blood1991

#1 she made me laugh so much as a kid and I hate clowns XD I would also say Gotham Sirens and #2 at the begining, later.... not so much.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By Dracade102

1 + 2

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By jrock85
    @xposipx
    The Arkham Asylum version because I love the costume. *pervy facial expression*
    girlygeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By girlygeekdom

Classic Harley will always reign supreme in my heart of hearts. But I highly disapprove of the Harley x Joker dynamic so I was really a fan of Kessel's and Lieberman's respective runs on her book. She evolved but kept that same classic Harley persona. They removed her from the dependence she had on the Joker and really molded her character, really showing us her potential. 

GCS Harley also pleases me for those reasons (although the more recent issues have been a let down in that aspect) but I really feel they downplay her intelligence in the series. Something I always admired about her in her solo series was she maintained the bubbly, goofball persona but you could tell she was intelligent. That balance was excellent. 

When it comes to Arkham Asylum, I wasn't ok with it at first because I was extremely against such a drastic change with her. But I was able to see the joke in the nurses outfit during the Arkham take-over, so I eased into it. With Suicide Squad/Arkham City I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that. A lot of what makes her character lovable is the balance between the bubbly, funny, cute blonde and the psychotic, ass kicking, murderous woman. A lot of what I'm seeing coming from those two universes is something a bit too dark and brooding for Harley.

xposipx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xposipx
    @The Stegman: You and I are the only ones who picked this. I guess that explains why I like Cass Cain so much too.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @xposipx: yeah i just always thought the idea of Harley would make her a psychopath, just as dangerous and crazy as joker, i never liked her as just comic relief silly buddy

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.