Should he get a more streamlined suit?

#1 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

If DC were to have an epiphany and suddenly start using Milestone characters the same way that they did with Jim Lee's creations, should he get a more streamlined design that is less clunky and busy?

#2 Edited by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes! His suit is FUGLY as *insert worst image imaginable*. I'm surprised they didn't change it when he was brought into the DCU. But it needs to be distinctive enough so people don't confuse him with Cyborg (who kinda makes him redundant anyway) And they need to overhaul Static's as well.

#3 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes! His suit is FUGLY as *insert worst image imaginable*. I'm surprised they didn't change it when he was brought into the DCU. But it needs to be distinctive enough so people don't confuse him with Cyborg (who kinda makes him redundant anyway) And they need to overhaul Static's as well.

#4 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: how is anymore redundant than cyborg (who sucks now anyway)

#5 Posted by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Cy's black so he fills their diversity quota (patronising as all hell when one character is made to represent your entire race) and he's in a metal suit. He's their "tech" guy if you will which makes no sense because Vic doesn't even have a college degree when you think about it. I know he has access to all the information in the world but it's not the same as learning the bloody thing yourself. Not that either of them has received ANY character development in forever. I had to drop the JL books, it was getting too painful to read

#6 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: hardware hasn't been used, so its not his fault

and Hardware's personality is totally different than cyborg's

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13687 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#8 Edited by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: With all the butchering of characters they've done in the last 2 years, I don't think DC really cares for personality. From a business, specifically marketing POV they're gonna tick the "Black Iron Man" box and not really care if he's boring or underdeveloped because it doesn't matter as long as he's there, where people can say "yep, there's a black man there and he knows how to use a computer so he's not uneducated" (NOTE: as I said before, he has no college degree. Neither does the woman on the team; she just falls randomly in and out of love) and that's Editorial and Higher-Ups. I don't think Johns even gives a shit but he's one of THEM now anyway . All this "diversity" is cosmetic and shallow. The supposedly diversifying characters on the team have nothing going for them except being transport and arm candy for the others. Being black and female, it's really grating. From a literary standpoint, Cyborg completely fulfills the role of "Magical Technological Negro" in DC right now (see what I did there? :D) and DC's not doing a damn thing to rectify that. (I just remembered they added a Latina majoring in physics but let's conveniently forget that so that my argument doesn't fall apart, yes? Good)

END OF RANT..... for now (MWUAHAHAHA!)

Sorry for completely derailing the thread

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks okay how it was, they just need to change up a few things like smooth out the lines all over his suit, get rid of the codpiece, and take away his unnecessary arm/legbands.

#10 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: With all the butchering of characters they've done in the last 2 years, I don't think DC really cares for personality. From a business, specifically marketing POV they're gonna tick the "Black Iron Man" box and not really care if he's boring or underdeveloped because it doesn't matter as long as he's there, where people can say "yep, there's a black man there and he knows how to use a computer so he's not uneducated" (NOTE: as I said before, he has no college degree. Neither does the woman on the team; she just falls randomly in and out of love) and that's Editorial and Higher-Ups. I don't think Johns even gives a shit but he's one of THEM now anyway . All this "diversity" is cosmetic and shallow. The supposedly diversifying characters on the team have nothing going for them except being transport and arm candy for the others. Being black and female, it's really grating. From a literary standpoint, Cyborg completely fulfills the role of "Magical Technological Negro" in DC right now (see what I did there? :D) and DC's not doing a damn thing to rectify that. (I just remembered they added a Latina majoring in physics but let's conveniently forget that so that my argument doesn't fall apart, yes? Good)

END OF RANT..... for now (MWUAHAHAHA!)

Sorry for completely derailing the thread

XD

But yeah,sometimes they just completely have these characters with little development with them...

However,with Cyborg I think it's great that he's on the JL,and I think they're changing him from Techno-transport to having an actual role on the team.

#11 Edited by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Cy's black so he fills their diversity quota (patronising as all hell when one character is made to represent your entire race) and he's in a metal suit. He's their "tech" guy if you will which makes no sense because Vic doesn't even have a college degree when you think about it. I know he has access to all the information in the world but it's not the same as learning the bloody thing yourself. Not that either of them has received ANY character development in forever. I had to drop the JL books, it was getting too painful to read

Does he have to have a college degree? I mean,he was in High School and in Football before the accident happened.And even still,what's a college degree compared to having the information of the world in your head.

#12 Posted by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Well, I did say that it's not the same as having to learn it yourself. The last 2 years of my life recently culminated in a period of exams that I finished just yesterday (They went fantastically, thank you for asking). Realise that studying for 2 years is very different from having all the information downloaded into your brain. That's instant loss of relatability (which is what they're all about nowadays, innit? *eye roll*)

Also, as I've said I stopped reading the JL for now so I don't know how much Cy's moved on but Johns had over a year to make a good impression and he didn't. All I got was Batman's busboy. Also, in regards to the Atom; it's pointless to add a main character (because I assume she's not supposed to be a side character) that you'll not develop. People (i.e. pseudo wannabe literary critics like me) will certainly call you out on it. You'll give the impression of being a bad writer (it's the one thing he's succeeded very well at in the last 2 years)

I'll pick up Trinity War and see if it's gotten better. Hopefully, Johns actually gets his ass in gear and gives me something worth 5 EURO every month (do you know how much a fiver adds to your pull list?! I don't have a job yet!)

#13 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Well, I did say that it's not the same as having to learn it yourself. The last 2 years of my life recently culminated in a period of exams that I finished just yesterday (They went fantastically, thank you for asking). Realise that studying for 2 years is very different from having all the information downloaded into your brain. That's instant loss of relatability (which is what they're all about nowadays, innit? *eye roll*)

Also, as I've said I stopped reading the JL for now so I don't know how much Cy's moved on but Johns had over a year to make a good impression and he didn't. All I got was Batman's busboy. Also, in regards to the Atom; it's pointless to add a main character (because I assume she's not supposed to be a side character) that you'll not develop. People (i.e. pseudo wannabe literary critics like me) will certainly call you out on it. You'll give the impression of being a bad writer (it's the one thing he's succeeded very well at in the last 2 years)

I'll pick up Trinity War and see if it's gotten better. Hopefully, Johns actually gets his ass in gear and gives me something worth 5 EURO every month (do you know how much a fiver adds to your pull list?! I don't have a job yet!)

well,I mean,the dude is half cyborg capable of vaporizing you in a second.One of the points of comics is creativity and imagination,and if we try to ground everything into reality...I mean..

I don't think Johns is THAT bad of a writer,yet many of the things he does is pointless.I hope we see more of this new Atom and she isn't just some side character that we never see again.It's possible that that may happen (when is Trinity war coming out?).

#14 Posted by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: *sigh* I know. I think I'm just letting my hate very intense dislike for this SM/WW nonsense and Hal Jordan poison my thinking. I know Johns isn't that bad, I quite like the little of Shazam that I read. But it makes no sense to be doing great on the Big Red Cheese, Aquaman (that's all I hear and I agree the characters deserve it) and then flub the company's flagship title (WTF?!)

I do have some genuine gripes with the way he writes though. He has no concept of FORESHADOWING. Deus Ex Machina using the Magical Negro. Really? I thought he majored in creative writing or something. I wanted to like JL, I really did but some things are just too facepalm-worthy to get past. Also I know he's got some influence behind the scenes so he must have had a hand in green lighting the near death of John Stewart (YOU DARE?!) and now this Superman/Wonder Woman ROMANCE comic (not even a buddy story in the vein of SM/BM) *shudder*. Seriously, that desperate a cash grab? Also, 3 month crossovers? No thank you. As Sweet Brown said "ain't nobody got time for that"

Trinity Wars comes out next month. How do you not know about this?

@jointron33: I am so sorry for completely derailing your thread.

#15 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: *sigh* I know. I think I'm just letting my hate very intense dislike for this SM/WW nonsense and Hal Jordan poison my thinking. I know Johns isn't that bad, I quite like the little of Shazam that I read. But it makes no sense to be doing great on the Big Red Cheese, Aquaman (that's all I hear and I agree the characters deserve it) and then flub the company's flagship title (WTF?!)

I do have some genuine gripes with the way he writes though. He has no concept of FORESHADOWING. Deus Ex Machina using the Magical Negro. Really? I thought he majored in creative writing or something. I wanted to like JL, I really did but some things are just too facepalm-worthy to get past. Also I know he's got some influence behind the scenes so he must have had a hand in green lighting the near death of John Stewart (YOU DARE?!) and now this Superman/Wonder Woman ROMANCE comic (not even a buddy story in the vein of SM/BM) *shudder*. Seriously, that desperate a cash grab? Also, 3 month crossovers? No thank you. As Sweet Brown said "ain't nobody got time for that"

Trinity Wars comes out next month. How do you not know about this?

@jointron33: I am so sorry for completely derailing your thread.

I completely understand....

#16 Posted by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: YOU DO?! I -er- mean, that is to say, you're also a John Stewart lover, SM/WW hater?! Hoorah! I thought I was alone in this world

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: YOU DO?! I -er- mean, that is to say, you're also a John Stewart lover, SM/WW hater?! Hoorah! I thought I was alone in this world

Who doesn't love John Stewart!?!

#18 Posted by Akindoodle (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Strangely enough, quite a few people on this site

#19 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Strangely enough, quite a few people on this site

Well,they can go to hell!

#20 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.