k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

There's a lot of weight resting on HARBINGER WARS' shoulders. Valiant, the rather awesome publisher, has been hyping their first crossover for months. On their own, HARBINGER and BLOODSHOT are superb reads for their own reasons. BLOODSHOT for its insane action and HARBINGER for some of the best character development you can find on a page. But what happens when you toss these worlds into the same book? Luckily for us, the result is definitely a cool and engaging way to kickoff a big event.

It might not seem like it, but this is pretty high praise since we've been fed so many less than stellar events and crossovers by various publishers over the past few years. Writers Duane Swierczynski and Joshua Dysart clearly get what needs to be done with the opening of an event. Yes, the amount of characters is sure to test your memory's limitations if you're a new reader, but this is countered by solid pacing, giving us just enough time with everyone in the massive cast. You'll get the the basics (powers and personality), but they'll never overstay their welcome and no key players are ever overshadowed. And yes, there's plenty of action to go around, too. Seeing Bloodshot finally take on the Harbingers was short yet oh-so sweet.

With three illustrators lending their talents, the change in art is sure to be jarring. That said, the hugely different styles works well for the book. Each looks great and brings a different and fitting vibe to the scenes. I particularly love the work on the Bleeding Monk's segment -- the amount of detail there is nothing short of glorious. Overall, this first issue looks fantastic.

The Bad

The battle in China gets a little too crowded at times and, because of this, detail is sacrificed. Enemies almost blur together and it made the action deliver less of an impact for me -- which is unfortunate because there's some ridiculously cool powers on display. The scene of course still looks wonderful, it just has a sloppier feel than the prior panels.

While they do everything possible to make this new reader friendly (there's a creative intro page, too), the amount of characters is almost overwhelming. Yes, we're given 30 pages to let everything play out, but I imagine this will be a little taxing if you're jumping into this with zero BLOODSHOT or HARBINGER experience.

The Verdict

HARBINGER WARS is finally here and it's off to a tremendous start. Relatively minor complaints aside, it does a more than able job setting the stage for what's to come while diving deep into characters and providing a more than fair amount of entertaining violence. Assuming HARBINGER WARS keeps at this pace (and given the publisher's track record, it's safe to say it will), it'll absolutely live up to the hype and was well worth the wait. With BLOODSHOT's brutal nature and the rich characters from HARBINGER, what's not to love?

I get many of you have a limited budget and $3.99 is frightening to see on a cover, but it's totally justified here. We're talking about a 30 page issue (includes a preview for their upcoming book, QUANTUM AND WOODY, too) that actually offers character development, fun action, and lays out a solid overall narrative. It's 30 pages of pure goodness.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Hrrrrrm. Good jumping on point or terrible jumping on point?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I wanna read this! Espesh for the Quantum & Woody preview! But i have only read issue 1 of Harbinger (which i loved) and none of the Bloodshot series, sooooo i won't buy Harbinger Wars 1 :( Not yet anyway.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Yes, it is but I do think it may be a tad difficult for new readers as well. See the second paragraph of 'The Bad' ;)

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@k4tzm4n: Damn my skimming of reviews while at work lol

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I wanna read this! Espesh for the Quantum & Woody preview! But i have only read issue 1 of Harbinger (which i loved) and none of the Bloodshot series, sooooo i won't buy Harbinger Wars 1 :( Not yet anyway.

You can still enjoy it without being current on the other two titles.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I want that damn third variant but it's like $20.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

good jumping on point. Everything pre to ths is explained on the back of the cover

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This book seems to be jumping around a lot.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I can't seem to get into any Valiant books :(

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

FINALLY.

the waiting is over.

Tomorrow I will read this.

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By That60sGuy

I cannot wait to see Bloodshot (temporarily) bloody murder those damn Renegades. I will avoid Thanos Rising to make space for Harbinger Wars on my list.

@k4tzm4n hey Greg - if either Bloodshot or the Renegades (including your beloved Faith) had to die in the end (and get their series cancelled for a while) who would you want to win?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I cannot wait to see Bloodshot (temporarily) bloody murder those damn Renegades. I will avoid Thanos Rising to make space for Harbinger Wars on my list.

@k4tzm4n hey Greg - if either Bloodshot or the Renegades (including your beloved Faith) had to die in the end (and get their series cancelled for a while) who would you want to win?

If I absolutely had to pick, I'd go with Bloodshot. He can always be replaced by Rai ;)

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@that60sguy said:

If I absolutely had to pick, I'd go with Bloodshot. He can always be replaced by Rai ;)

You mean you'd want Bloodshot to lose right? Ah man! I'm gonna send Ninjak after you. He'll listen to me cos we're both Londoners ;) heh heh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.