Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Who should write a Hank Pym solo ongoing?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

If they were to make Pym ongoing series who would you want to write it?

I think that I would be happy with Christos N. Gage or Dennis Hopeless because they both seem to do a good job writing Pym and get his character fairly well. Tom DeFalco did a really great job on Ant-Man season one to, but not sure who he would write a modern day Pym after all the developments he's gone through.

I think if really had to choose one guy though I would go with Mark Waid. Waid seems to love writing for flawed men with really tortured pasts. He keeps putting Pym in Daredevil and gave Pym some spotlight recently in Hulk as well, so I think it would be great to just let him write the character he clearly want to write for.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

The first person that comes to mind would be Dan Slott. I'll come back with more answers if I think of any. :)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Teerack
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

The first person that comes to mind would be Dan Slott. I'll come back with more answers if I think of any. :)

I think that would seriously be a catastrophe. Pym is one of the realest characters in marvel and Slott does write some fun cool stories, but he utterly fails at reliability.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Morrison (My answer for everything)

Kot

Jordan

Ellis

Fraction

David

Lemire

Giffen

I'd like to see anybody I listed at least give it shot.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Oh. I thought he did a good job writing him in Mighty Avengers.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@teerack: Matt Fraction is unlikely to do anything for Marvel again until they extend him an olive branch. I hope that occurs soon, because I'm a little disappointed Hawkeye has fallen off of the radar. I'd kind of like to see Warren Ellis or Grant Morrison take him to the initial "weird science" stories in Tales to Astonish focusing on him as a scientist and explorer more than as a superhero.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Oh. I thought he did a good job writing him in Mighty Avengers.

Oh. You mean during the whole Wasp identity? Or did he show up in the current Might Avengers?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Yeah, the Wasp stuff. I like that it showed off his scientific prowess and leadership skills.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Teerack
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

@teerack: Yeah, the Wasp stuff. I like that it showed off his scientific prowess and leadership skills.

I liked it to, but that book was really shallow. It was fun and exciting and cool, but it didn't touch on anything deep and emotional and the development was really minimal and could be summed up to "confidence boost because eternity said i was awesome" Slott has never been good at emotional depth.

Professorreid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mark Ward all the way. That one shot he did of Pym in Avengers AI was fantastic. He really gets the character.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@teerack: Ellis, Mark Waid could do a good job, Grant Morrison.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teerack

@professorreid: Yeah I was starting to consider dropping Avengers AI when i finally got around to reading that issue and it re-sparked my interest in the series.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Peter David.

He does good long runs on obscure characters and Hank really needs a good long run. He might have some good stories featuring him, but he never had a good long solo series.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I thought it worked O.K. emotionally, but I agree that it didn't go too deep or in-depth, and yeah, perhaps an element like that could be good for a full-on solo series.

I'd still be interested in seeing what he could do with a Hank solo though, especially if he decided to at least try and go with a deeper emotional angle. Maybe if he's not so good with it, he could just need the right character?

Any thoughts on what a Hank solo series would be called? I don't think he's currently settled on an identity, and Ant-Man is taken. I think I'd be alright with him taking on the Yellowjacket suit and name, or for it to just be called "Tales To Astonish" with him using identities as needed.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I thought it worked O.K. emotionally, but I agree that it didn't go too deep or in-depth, and yeah, perhaps an element like that could be good for a full-on solo series.

I'd still be interested in seeing what he could do with a Hank solo though, especially if he decided to at least try and go with a deeper emotional angle. Maybe if he's not so good with it, he could just need the right character?

Any thoughts on what a Hank solo series would be called? I don't think he's currently settled on an identity, and Ant-Man is taken. I think I'd be alright with him taking on the Yellowjacket suit and name, or for it to just be called "Tales To Astonish" with him using identities as needed.

I think it would be best if it was just called Pym the way the new Dick Grayson book is just called Grayson now that he dropped the Nightwing identity. I feel like Ant-Man might be shoe horned into the title for movie marketing purposes though.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: The marketing for the film is kind of strange I think. There's all this Guardians Of The Galaxy hype building with the comics, but Hank and Scott Lang aren't regulars in any ongoings now. Maybe we'll get something closer to the time.

Pym, or Doctor Pym could be good. I'd probably be O.K. with a Hank and Scott team-up called Ant-Men, or Ant-Men and Wasp with Janet.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teerack
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

@teerack: The marketing for the film is kind of strange I think. There's all this Guardians Of The Galaxy hype building with the comics, but Hank and Scott Lang aren't regulars in any ongoings now. Maybe we'll get something closer to the time.

Pym, or Doctor Pym could be good. I'd probably be O.K. with a Hank and Scott team-up called Ant-Men, or Ant-Men and Wasp with Janet.

Ew. No more Janet and Pym. She sunk that ship when she started throwing herself as Havok. The super hero name I always identify Hank as is Giant-Man because there isnt any other Giant-Man.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking about this for a while.

I say Mark Waid.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teerack
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think Christos Gage can do a great job on writing a Hank PYm book. He handled him really well when he was writing Avengers Academy and it would be nice to see the guy write a book for his solo adventures.

Another good pick at least in my opinion is Mark Waid. His DD and Hulk runs were a little bit a hit and miss but I think if he tries to write Hank he would do a great job. The style Waid has is superb for a Hank Pym solo book at least I think that way and I would love to see him do an interpretation of Pym.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Waid had a recent good one-shot featuring Hank Pym...I say he'd do a pretty good job

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I love his style. (Walsh)

Yep, and his style is really similar to Chris Samnee's and since Waid and Samnee flow super good together I think it would be a great pairing for a Hank Pym series.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Night4345

Mark Waid, Peter David, or Christos N. Gage. Gage would be my favorite due to Avenger Academy making Hank into one of my favorite characters.

Definite no on Dennis Hopeless.

Warioman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warioman

Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek or bust.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't really care about who writes it I just hope it would be like the old ones with ant man and wasp. Not going in to mental or anything.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@teerack: what do you think about Goliath? I always liked that codename.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Teerack

@teerack: what do you think about Goliath? I always liked that codename.

It's an alright name but I don't think it would be a good name for him to use again. I think he needs to go by Giant-Man/Ant-Man since he has explained before that when he was Goliath and Yellowjacket he was just trying to reinvent himself as an alpha male, and then when he was Doctor Pym and Wasp he was struggling to accept different things in his life, and he is most balanced when he was Ant-Man/Giant-Man.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Comicdude360
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicdude360: Hank has moved so far beyond Ant-Man it's not even funny. Besides Scott Lang has earned his place as Ant-Man.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: yeah but that was my favorite version I also like yellow jacket.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: that makes sense. I keep forgetting that the giant-man and Goliath names aren't interchangeable plus the Goliath name is more associated with Bill Foster and that would just be the whole Wasp thing all over again.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@comicdude360: Ahhhh, I got ya . Can't fault ya for personal preference.

chamber-music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Waid. Waid has written a good Pym before

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.