Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Pym - cocky!

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By thatlad

Just read latest hulk and I'm pissed off, who the hell if Pym? Bouncing round shouting out "i'm scientist supreme!!" like that means something in marvel continuity?!? Next week he could end up being ant-supreme for all I care. Seriously what has he done (in comparison to the the intelligensia's top 8) to qualify him as top dog?  

If it wasn't for some gamma radiation banner would wipe his arse with him, if it wasn't for constant doom/galactus attacks reed would blow his nose with him.  

In my opinion Pym doesn't deserve to be scientist supreme and is getting was too cocky. 

Discuss!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Have you read Mighty Avengers by chance?

rein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By rein

I believe eternity gave Pym the title of scientist supreme. which is why it would be a big deal (not sure about this, I read it on the site somewhere)

KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By KingLoki

Pym=Awesome

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nighthunter
    @rein said:
    " I believe eternity gave Pym the title of scientist supreme. which is why it would be a big deal (not sure about this, I read it on the site somewhere) "
    correct

@thatlad said:
    Seriously what has he done (in comparison to the the intelligensia's top 8) to qualify him as top dog?

As much as both fans and writers prefer to ignore it for the title of "Wifebeater".....Ancient history? he was a founding avenger, he discovered Pym particles and through his inventions made it possible to change his size, something that according to the basic laws of physics is impossible, he created artificial intelligence and is considered the world's greatest biologists.

New history? He outsmarted Reed Richards, he has created micro universes, Amadeus Cho who is stated as the seventh smartest man on the planet accepts that Pym is smarter than him, he has created portals to everywhere in the world, he is the leader of the real avengers, most importantly he was named the Scientist supreme by Eternity. When Strange was the sorcerer supreme did anyone question his position as one if not the greatest sorcerer in the marvel universe? same applies here
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#6  Edited By lostlantern13

Not only did he receive the title "Scientist Supreme," but it's good characterization. Intelligence breeds arrogance...the brains compete...of course he's gonna tell all of these other geniuses that he's the SS. I thought it was great.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lostlantern13 said:
    "

Not only did he receive the title "Scientist Supreme," but it's good characterization. Intelligence breeds arrogance...the brains compete...of course he's gonna tell all of these other geniuses that he's the SS. I thought it was great.

"
    this answers my favorite. he is absolutely cocky, and  he does in fact have the showings to back that up.

@thatlad said:
    " Seriously what has he done (in comparison to the the intelligensia's top 8) to qualify him as top dog? "
    well, aside from being one of the top 8 smartest men on Earth , and one of the Intelligencia's prime targets
    (because they deduced that theyre plans would not go through if they didnt get him out of the way, which is points
    to his credit) invented the Avengers Infinite Mansion, took down an Elder God using pure mental acumen, revived
    the good name of the Avengers, as well as the Unspoken, and of course was given the title of Scientist Supreme
    by Eternity....and became aware of it because he invented a way to actually grow past the entire Marvel 616 universes
    reality and speak to Eternity in person while remaining connected to his regular 616 world at the same time of his
    own accord. this was something he invented over the course of a day or two. id say thats a pretty good start right
    there.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brc2000

I'm a big fan of new Pym personally. He's one of the main reasons I look forward to Mighty Avengers. I hope he isn't going to be pushed into the background during the Heroic Age, once MA is cancelled.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nighthunter
    @brc2000 said:
    " I'm a big fan of new Pym personally. He's one of the main reasons I look forward to Mighty Avengers. I hope he isn't going to be pushed into the background during the Heroic Age, once MA is cancelled. "
    agreed
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brc2000 said:
    " I'm a big fan of new Pym personally. He's one of the main reasons I look forward to Mighty Avengers. I hope he isn't going to be pushed into the background during the Heroic Age, once MA is cancelled. "
    so in the front of my mind. i looked through the full solicits and dont see his place in there.
    i hope the talent is just taking a break and plans to reboot MA in the fashion the rest of the titles
    are getting. that would be sad to lose that book to give Bendis's book more spotlight.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nighthunter

Its been said that Hank will be a major player in the Heroic age so we know that he ain't getting away, only question is where will he show up.

Personally I would have loved it if Slott would have had Bendis' team and included Hank in it

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By AngelFrost

I want Wasp back.   :'(   

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lostlantern13
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @brc2000 said:
    so in the front of my mind. i looked through the full solicits and dont see his place in there. i hope the talent is just taking a break and plans to reboot MA in the fashion the rest of the titles are getting. that would be sad to lose that book to give Bendis's book more spotlight. "

I am hoping that he's in charge of the Secret Avengers. I mean it would make sense with Infinite Avengers Mansion as headquarters. I just know that MA has really made me a Pym-fan.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

I think that the leader will turn out to be Steve, considering that its Brubaker's book that would be a no brainer. Wasp would be a good fit for an espionage team and we've seen Brubaker playing with him a little in Reborn but really, I want him to be written by Slott. Even if I'm a way bigger fan of Brubaker's work

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Nighthunter said:

"Its been said that Hank will be a major player in the Heroic age so we know that he ain't getting away, only question is where will he show up.  Personally I would have loved it if Slott would have had Bendis' team and included Hank in it "

I was thinking maybe Hank would be involved in that Avengers Academy, seeing as how Eternity told Pym that he would he would have a big role in the "Age of Heroes" which I'm guessing will be the Heroic Age, I also agree with the Slott's over Bendis comment.
    @Nighthunter said:

"I think that the leader will turn out to be Steve, considering that its Brubaker's book that would be a no brainer. Wasp would be a good fit for an espionage team and we've seen Brubaker playing with him a little in Reborn but really, I want him to be written by Slott. Even if I'm a way bigger fan of Brubaker's work "

I keep forgetting Brubaker's writing Secret Avengers, he came to me as a Avengers writer, but I agree after seeing his work with the Avengers in Reborn, his boo kwill be interesting to read.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nighthunter said:
    " I think that the leader will turn out to be Steve, considering that its Brubaker's book that would be a no brainer. Wasp would be a good fit for an espionage team and we've seen Brubaker playing with him a little in Reborn but really, I want him to be written by Slott. Even if I'm a way bigger fan of Brubaker's work "
    same here. and im not comfortable having Bendis write him personally.
    i also dont want him on a team where he gets overshadowed.
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Him and Banner are full of themselves these days

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself

I don't think they're full of themselves at all...I think the writers are finally starting to focus on just how smart these guys are...for years they've been overshadowed by Richards and Stark and it's about time they got the credit that they deserve and they're letting the rest of the MU know it to

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostlantern13
    @StrongestOneThereIs said:

"Him and Banner are full of themselves these days "

Smart people usually have some element of arrogance/ego. Look at high schoolers, what's the competition amongst the honors kids? To get the higher GPA. Ivy League schools? To be known as the smartest university. Even in general, how often does anyone like to admit that another person is smarter than them? I think it just fits that these great minds would be the same. 

I think it's a good bit of characterization to see that they all think they're the smartest one in the room. Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Doctor Doom, The Leader......it just makes sense to me.
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:
    " I don't think they're full of themselves at all...I think the writers are finally starting to focus on just how smart these guys are...for years they've been overshadowed by Richards and Stark and it's about time they got the credit that they deserve and they're letting the rest of the MU know it to "
    They have always been respected 
    And the brightest in their fields like McCoy and Stark
    But overall intellect in all areas
    They fall short compared to Reed, Doom and the Black Panther
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thatlad
    " Him and Banner are full of themselves these days "
    Hear hear! 
    Although to be fair I think Banner deserves a bit of time to enjoy his hulk-less freedom. It's been good seeing Banner show off his brains lately, really putting some focus on how samrt he really is. 

I know a lot of people are going to be defensive of Pym given it's in a Pym forum but I'm still not sold on him. Really though I'm not sold on the whole 'scientist supreme' tag either
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Pym is better than Hulk

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thatlad
    @Nighthunter said:
     he was a founding avenger,   

Does that really matter anymore? There's been that many avenger's teams (and another due to launch) that most characters have been founding members. Yes I know you're going to say it was the first team but I'm still not impressed
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nighthunter
    " @danhimself said:
    " I don't think they're full of themselves at all...I think the writers are finally starting to focus on just how smart these guys are...for years they've been overshadowed by Richards and Stark and it's about time they got the credit that they deserve and they're letting the rest of the MU know it to "
    They have always been respected  And the brightest in their fields like McCoy and StarkBut overall intellect in all areas They fall short compared to Reed, Doom and the Black Panther "
    in what area is Mccoy the best? just curious

@thatlad said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs said:
    " Him and Banner are full of themselves these days "
    Hear hear! Although to be fair I think Banner deserves a bit of time to enjoy his hulk-less freedom. It's been good seeing Banner show off his brains lately, really putting some focus on how samrt he really is.  I know a lot of people are going to be defensive of Pym given it's in a Pym forum but I'm still not sold on him. Really though I'm not sold on the whole 'scientist supreme' tag either "

I buy the justification that Slott gave to Pym getting the title, but since you said that you haven't read Slott's Mighty Avengers run then I guess you may not appreciate it.

@thatlad said:
    " @Nighthunter said:
     he was a founding avenger,   
     Does that really matter anymore? There's been that many avenger's teams (and another due to launch) that most characters have been founding members. Yes I know you're going to say it was the first team but I'm still not impressed "
    Maybe not for you, but for me being one of the founding members of the world's mightiest heroes means something
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatlad
    @Nighthunter said:

I suppose it's in the area of mutant genetics or something 

Have they revealed the full list of 8 smartest? It could end up being pretty controversial. Banner already remarked how Amadeus Cho isn't in the list, although he did state it's according to the intelligensia. Maybe that's the point though, they could overlook someone like Cho thinking he's not smart enough but then their arrogance gets the better of them as he (or someone else they overlook) come up with the solution to beat them. 

So far there's Doom, T'Challa, Richards, Beast, Pym & Banner. Have I missed anyone out or are they yet to be announced?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nighthunter
    @thatlad said:
    " @Nighthunter said:

I suppose it's in the area of mutant genetics or something  Have they revealed the full list of 8 smartest? It could end up being pretty controversial. Banner already remarked how Amadeus Cho isn't in the list, although he did state it's according to the intelligensia. Maybe that's the point though, they could overlook someone like Cho thinking he's not smart enough but then their arrogance gets the better of them as he (or someone else they overlook) come up with the solution to beat them.   So far there's Doom, T'Challa, Richards, Beast, Pym & Banner. Have I missed anyone out or are they yet to be announced? "
    that would be Sinister, not Mccoy. Or did I miss something?

Amadeus CHo has always been stated as #7 so he is there, if I had to make a wild guess I would say.

Reed Richards
    Doom
    Tony Stark
    Hank Pym
    Bruce Banner
    T'challa
    Amadeus Cho 
    The Leader
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danhimself
    @Nighthunter said:
    " @thatlad said:
    " @Nighthunter said:

I suppose it's in the area of mutant genetics or something  Have they revealed the full list of 8 smartest? It could end up being pretty controversial. Banner already remarked how Amadeus Cho isn't in the list, although he did state it's according to the intelligensia. Maybe that's the point though, they could overlook someone like Cho thinking he's not smart enough but then their arrogance gets the better of them as he (or someone else they overlook) come up with the solution to beat them.   So far there's Doom, T'Challa, Richards, Beast, Pym & Banner. Have I missed anyone out or are they yet to be announced? "
    that would be Sinister, not Mccoy. Or did I miss something?  Amadeus CHo has always been stated as #7 so he is there, if I had to make a wild guess I would say. Reed Richards Doom Tony Stark Hank Pym Bruce Banner T'challa Amadeus Cho  The Leader "
    i think they moved Amadeus down to 10
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Zoom

What has Pym done?  Why create a bunch of insane robots of course.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nighthunter
    @danhimself said:
    " @Nighthunter said:
    " @thatlad said:
    " @Nighthunter said:

that would be Sinister, not Mccoy. Or did I miss something?  Amadeus CHo has always been stated as #7 so he is there, if I had to make a wild guess I would say. Reed Richards Doom Tony Stark Hank Pym Bruce Banner T'challa Amadeus Cho  The Leader "
    i think they moved Amadeus down to 10 "
    When?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nighthunter

which reminds me:

Valeria Richards is now smarter than her dad so yup

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself
    @Nighthunter said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Nighthunter said:
    " @thatlad said:
    " @Nighthunter said:

When? "

Incredible Hulk #607
     Incredible Hulk #607
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nighthunter

Now I'm torn, Pak both plays the cho is the seventh smartest card on Hercules and the 10th smartest on hulk

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iLLituracy

Is there an official list as to who the eight smartest people on Earth are?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danhimself
    @iLLituracy:  so far it's (in no specific order)

Beast
    T'Challa
    Hank Pym
    Dr. Doom
    Reed Richards
    Bruce Banner
    Tony Stark

I'm not sure if the last has been revealed
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lostlantern13
    @danhimself:  
    The last one hasn't been revealed yet. It's kinda interesting that there's no female on the list.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personally i take those lists with a big grain of salt, and i mean big.
    like obviously MODOK and Leader are in there. also theyve had Charles Xavier
    in that list from time to time. also in X:Men Endangered Species, Beast tries to find
    a solution to the M-Day problem by asking for the help of " the top nine supervillian
    geniuses " being  Pandemic, M.O.D.O.K., Spiral and Mojo, Sugar Man, Mister Sinister,
    the High Evolutionary, Arnim Zola, and Doctor Doom. this still leaves out X-Club, Forge,
    Dark Beast, who is considered at least equal to or above Beasts own intelligence,
    Mad Thinker, Doctor Octopus, Norman Osborn (who is rated somewhere below Stark)
    Curt Conners, Mandarin, Zemo, ect, ect.

the 8 smartest people refers to a list of men (specifically) that generally either work together or
    at least off of each other to influence the world, not really the 8 smartest. ( 8 Smartest Men should
    be made into a team page actually because theres so many references). notably they are all mortal
    and male, which seems to be a requirement for this " clubs " roster...

in Hulk #20 Leader confirms in no order:

Reed Richards
    Victor Von Doom
    Tony Stark

in Incredible Hulk 601 in no order:

Bruce Banner
    Hank Pym
    Amadeus Cho
    T'Challa
    Hank McCoy

so the 8 Smartest Men are in no order, except Cho of course

Reed Richards
    Victor Von Doom
    Tony Stark   
    Bruce Banner
    Hank Pym
    T'Challa
    Hank McCoy   
    Amadeus Cho

-
    Incredible Hulk 607:
    in referring to Cho being the tenth, Banner is adding MODOK and Leader to the list,
    but doing so technically, not officially. 

@Nighthunter said:

" Now I'm torn, Pak both plays the cho is the seventh smartest card on Hercules and the 10th smartest on hulk "

Incredible Hercules 137:
    actually he was stated as the sixth, having surpassed Master Mind Excello and Pythagoras Dupree.
    this was determined false by the end of the issue. That Master Mind Excello in play was a work of fiction.
    Pythagoras Dupree as stated not only didnt exist, because he technically made himself non-existent, also
    while being a hypermind wasnt near even the 8 smartest people on Earth. he was just lead to believe he was
    as was Cho as was a test that had been long put into motion by Athena to push Cho into becoming the new
    Prince Of Power in place of Hercules. So Cho still stood as the 8th in that case.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thatlad
    @Nighthunter said:
    " @danhimself said: 
    When? "
    I think they're putting it across as the list is according to the intelligensia, so it's who they think are the top 8. As I said earlier that's probably going to be the point, they get undone by someone like Cho as they underestimate him. Typical arrogant villains haha 

Should be interesting 

PS even though I'm not a major fan of Pym, I'd say get Incredible Hulk 607 if you are a fan. He get's plenty of time in it and the art is boss (aside from JRJR's cover)
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @CATMANEXE:
    not disagreeing with you on who the 8 smartest are but there is no proof that Banner is adding Leader and MODOK to the list is there?
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF: 
    true to that. its more of an assumption or maybe on m part basing it on who the 
    other " geniuses " in play in the book in question where. with what i said earlier,
    it could be a number of people since really the " 8 " or " 10 " doesnt represent the
    actual smartest people persay, its just a grouping that has relation to each other 
    and particular events. i wouldnt for example say Tony Stark is actually smarter
    than Mr.Sinister or the High Evolutionary...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @CATMANEXE:
    yea i think they need to create a 10 smartest heroes and 10 smartest villains page. 
    You know everyone will take this list the intelligencia has made and use it as the official 8 smartest people in Marvel
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Zoom

Lol at Banner telling Cho that he's really the 10th smartest person. 

I like punny Banner so much more than Hulk.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zoom: 
    lol. this right here...

No Caption Provided
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I actually have a new found respect for Pym. After flipping through the newest Mighty Avengers when he fooled Osborn to believe he already used the cosmic cube.. that was great. Its about time they use his insanity against him.

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Walker696
    @DEGRAAF: on the 616 earth not marvel in general though. I mainly think this list is for all around intelligence because in some aspects they each are better then the other and at the same time there are people who surpass them in varies ways, my main point keep in mind that Dr. Doom is the only well known magic user on this list and you have to remember magic is an ex factor, a person can learn everything it took you years to learn in a matter of seconds. So I feel this not only applies to just basic smarts, there is book smarts, common sense smarts, and street smarts adding to the equation as well. I think they are the top 8 because they have proven themselves in a number of ways. Anyway when it comes down to it it doesn't matter how smart you are, its whether you're smart enough to know how to use it right.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Walker696 said:
    " @DEGRAAF: on the 616 earth not marvel in general though. I mainly think this list is for all around intelligence because in some aspects they each are better then the other and at the same time there are people who surpass them in varies ways, my main point keep in mind that Dr. Doom is the only well known magic user on this list and you have to remember magic is an ex factor, a person can learn everything it took you years to learn in a matter of seconds. So I feel this not only applies to just basic smarts, there is book smarts, common sense smarts, and street smarts adding to the equation as well. I think they are the top 8 because they have proven themselves in a number of ways. Anyway when it comes down to it it doesn't matter how smart you are, its whether you're smart enough to know how to use it right. "
    i definitely agree with that. i would have to say that this is all about the 8 smartest heroes
    Avatar image for jesterofmaddness
    jesterofmaddness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jesterofmaddness

Just to throw it out there, Banner did say to the Leader in Incredible Hulk 610 that Cho was one of the eight smartest people.

Abeonis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hank Pym has the privilege to be cocky. He is a super-genius and has created the most advanced A.I. in Marvel Earth, as far as I know. He has discovered Pym Particles (which, as stated before, defies physics), outsmarted Reed, and was named scientist supreme. Yeah...I think he has the right to be cocky.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love him with cho

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.