Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Less Bitchin' More Pitchin' - PYM

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By fodigg

I'm a fan of Dr Hank Pym. Over the years he's saved the world countless times since he helped form the original Avengers (and later the West Coast Avengers), and yet his inventions and uncontrolled impulses have also put the world and his loved ones in danger—most famously when he commited a double-whammy by inventing an evil robot (something he's known for) and back-handing his then-wife the Wasp across the room. Lately he's refurbished his reputation a bit. He's stayed in control, had a few positive and semi-successful romantic relationships, kept the Wasp's soul/mind in a hyper-scientific state of life support (and thus far resisted the temptation to rush any attempts at reviving her), and he's become a role model for the kids at Avengers Academy. That's all very nice and all incredibly boring. I think it's time for another mental break for good ol' Dr. Pym.

Pym's personality:

• Naturally kind, Pym is a pacifist who is obsessed with finding better ways to rehabilitate criminals. He's not normally reckless or quick to anger.
    • Incredibly intelligent scientist and inventor, Pym's superpower is that he invents superpowers. In this sense he lives up to his unofficial title as the Scientist Supreme.
    • Unfortunately, Pym suffers from crippling psychological problems and needs to be monitored and medicated to maintain his genteel and altruistic personality. When unmedicated, he suffers from extreme paranoia, behaves irrationally and sometimes violently, and at least once invented an alternate "action hero" personality in place of his normal one. Not only suffering from paranoia during these episodes, Pym also becomes obsessed with proving himself—as an inventor, as a hero, as a man. It's a volatile mix.

Pitch:

Hank Pym's medication suddenly stops being effective. As his mental state deteriorates, he simultaneously seeks an effective replacement (to no avail) and begins "Pym proofing" his life, trying to mitigate any damage he could do un-medicated. True to classic Pym form, however, he does NOT seek help from anyone else, and when his mental state finally starts to slip, he's on his own—a mad scientist supreme, addicted to wild invention. He's a hero trapped in the body of a mad scientist.

Supporting characters:

• Hallucinatory versions of Pym: All the various costumes and names he's taken over the years appear to help, antagonize, confuse, or otherwise interact with him.
    • Jocasta: A robot version of Pym's dead wife, created by Ultron, she's currently at odds with Pym but recognizes that something isn't right and begins to investigate.
    • Tigra: Love interest and mother of Pym's sort-of child, Pym worries that his darker impulses will draw him toward her and harm her.
    • Various villains & heroes: During his lucid moments, Pym tries to keep himself contained and work on effective medication, but while he's out of it he goes out and plays hero, bumping into various villains and heroes as he does so.

Plot hooks:

• Opening line: "My name is Hank Pym, I'm an Avenger, and I've been unmedicated for twelve days."
    • "Pym proofing": Pym is locking up dangerous experiments and leaving admonishing notes to himself: Do NOT build robots. Do NOT call Tigra. Do NOT supervise children. Do NOT "show them." Do NOT "show them all."
    • Suspicion by other heroes: Jocasta tries to check up on him. Eventually, Tigra does as well when she realizes he's ignoring her. Their inquiries start as polite and concerned, but Pym tries to deflect them and behave as if everything is fine. When their suspicions are later confirmed, their concern turns toward alarm as they know what Pym is capable of.
    • Pym's "Yellowjacket" persona—in form of hallucination—taunts him and tries to prove he's better than him. This leads to a contest of wills and them leaving deadly and inventive traps for each other while they're in control.
    • Pym creates new and unstable inventions and superpowers wildly during his adventures, sometimes more of a hazard than the villains he's fighting.
    • Pym retreats to the microverse and goes crazy on everyone.
    • Pym tries to recreate the Infinite Mansion and instead unleashes various alternate realities into his home, so everytime he opens a door in his own house he's never sure what's behind it.
    • Pym starts to dress himself in an amalgam of his various costumes: Ant-Man helmet, Giant-Man shirt, Yellowjacket shoulder fins, Wasp coat, "Dr. Pym" red cargo pants, etc.
    • A version of Ultron appears and tries to take advantage of Pym's mental state. Pym ultimately stomps him hard with insane inventiveness and unpredictability.

Why I'd like to see it:

I can't help but feel like ol' Pym is underutilized. He was a founding Avenger and has created more spinoff characters than any other one character in the Marvel universe (although the Hulk is giving him a run for his money these days). You could fill out a whole Avengers team with just his superpowered progeny, and yet he's kind of looked over. It seemed like they were going to finally do something with him when he took over leadership of the Mighty Avengers, but that puttered out and he was left baby-sitting in the pages of Avengers Academy, which is lame because as the "instructor" character he can't really do much in that book—the students have to be the ones who save the day. I say break him out of that and embrace the various aspects of the character, especially what makes him unique compared to any of the other super-scientists in the Marvel universe—he's crazy. I think that'd be entertaining to explore. And as long as you don't totally abandon the core of the character—portray him as dangerous because he's behaving recklessly, not that he's evil—it shouldn't damage the character long-term.

No Caption Provided
    DCFan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DCFan1992

Love this.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fodigg

@DCFan1992 said:

Love this.

Thanks!

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Imagine_Man15

This is great! I would love to see it happen

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Very Good. I like the idea it would be AWEsome for Pym to get this series.I wish Slott never picked Spider-Man over Mighty Avengers. What he shared at WonderCon 2013 was totally crash. All his ideas he never go to use. I think if he picked Mighty Avengers over Spider-Man, Spidey would be just fine without him, but Hank Pym would have gotten a bigger fanbase. I dare say that Marvel's continuity would be different right now as well.

*sigh* Oh well

( + )

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great! I would love to see it happen

Thanks! (sorry for late reply, missed this comment somehow)

Very Good. I like the idea it would be AWEsome for Pym to get this series.I wish Slott never picked Spider-Man over Mighty Avengers. What he shared at WonderCon 2013 was totally crash. All his ideas he never go to use. I think if he picked Mighty Avengers over Spider-Man, Spidey would be just fine without him, but Hank Pym would have gotten a bigger fanbase. I dare say that Marvel's continuity would be different right now as well.

*sigh* Oh well

( + )

I didn't even realize he was debating between those two books. I do like that Pym is getting attention now (sort of) but it's kind of strange how they're going about upping his exposure—the whole "it's a wonderful life" thing only instead of an angel we get a vicious time-traveling Wolverine cutting his head off.

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Marvel gave Slott the Ultimatum between the books. If he could he would have done both (or at least thats how he said it.) He told so many stories from Ren and Stimpy to The Initiative, to his childhood, to Superior Spider-Man, and it was a lot of fun for a nerd like me XP.

I think Pym's new attention comes from the movie they are working on. I still prefer the idea's Slott shared with us. See did you know A.I.M. already had a Scientist Supreme?

I didn't

so

Slott wanted to make a story about Pym taking on A.I.M.s for the title of Scientist Supreme (A.I.M. started the fight of course.) Obviously the good guys would win, but Slott wanted Pym to take over A.I.M. as well. He wanted A.I.M. to operate in the Infinite Mansion. He said "to see all those bee keepers working for a Wasp" claiming that it would be hilarious. Having Jarvis be surprised by a A.I.M. member bump into him asking for more coffee.

He said he wanted to use that as an explanation for all the possible crazy out of this world inventions he would create, now that he had an army of A.I.M. agents working for him.

I can't remember the rest but I was just like man that would have been something. I honestly think it would have been a game changer if he decided to stay and decline working on Spider-Man.

He also shared that Amadeus Cho was kind of forced in the roster. He said back then "Marvel" were acting like spoiled kids, when it came to sharing characters. He said that he asked so-and-so plus so-and-so but they declined, and that he asked so-and-so for Herc and that he said yes but Slott had to take Cho as well or no Herc.

But yeah

Why Spider-Man 2099?

( + )

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

It sounds fantastic. i freaking love Hank.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Marvel gave Slott the Ultimatum between the books. If he could he would have done both (or at least thats how he said it.) He told so many stories from Ren and Stimpy to The Initiative, to his childhood, to Superior Spider-Man, and it was a lot of fun for a nerd like me XP.

I think Pym's new attention comes from the movie they are working on. I still prefer the idea's Slott shared with us. See did you know A.I.M. already had a Scientist Supreme?

I didn't

so

Slott wanted to make a story about Pym taking on A.I.M.s for the title of Scientist Supreme (A.I.M. started the fight of course.) Obviously the good guys would win, but Slott wanted Pym to take over A.I.M. as well. He wanted A.I.M. to operate in the Infinite Mansion. He said "to see all those bee keepers working for a Wasp" claiming that it would be hilarious. Having Jarvis be surprised by a A.I.M. member bump into him asking for more coffee.

He said he wanted to use that as an explanation for all the possible crazy out of this world inventions he would create, now that he had an army of A.I.M. agents working for him.

I can't remember the rest but I was just like man that would have been something. I honestly think it would have been a game changer if he decided to stay and decline working on Spider-Man.

He also shared that Amadeus Cho was kind of forced in the roster. He said back then "Marvel" were acting like spoiled kids, when it came to sharing characters. He said that he asked so-and-so plus so-and-so but they declined, and that he asked so-and-so for Herc and that he said yes but Slott had to take Cho as well or no Herc.

I was just thinking about the relationship between the two types of "scientist supremes" the other day after watching Iron Man 3. That would've been cool! Too bad to hear they didn't want him doing both.

Why Spider-Man 2099?

Sci-fi dystopia + superheroes is right up my alley. My love for Batman Beyond is about equal. (Also 90s comics nostalgia. When it was coming out this was my alternative to reading about Ben Reilly.)

It sounds fantastic. i freaking love Hank.

Thanks! (And if you meant the pitch from Slott, I agree.)

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: It happens

Slott said that *insert name i cannot recall* told him, "I know how you work, I know you can't do both." Remender stopped doing Venom + Secret Avengers + Uncanny X-Force and now he's doing Uncanny Avengers + Captain America.

That's cool to hear that you love "Sci-fi dystopia + superheroes." I love superheroes too, and Star Trek(Chris Pine) made me a fan of Sci-Fi dystopia. I even bought Mass Effect 2. XP

Anywaysss

Again I say that I do like your idea. I think it would be a totally different book like the current X-Men Legacy.

What's on your pull list?

( + )

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@fodigg can I write this Pym idea on the fanfic section?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boschepg said:

@fodigg can I write this Pym idea on the fanfic section?

That'd be awesome. Please do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.