Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Hank Pym's Current Abilities

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

Hey all. I am trying to determine what are Hank Pym's abilities. Last I read he could do this

@Lion_Heart22 said:

I think he can grow up to a 100 ft and lift about 50 tons in this size. He can shrink to a little smaller than the size of a common ant, and retain his normal strength whilst at this size. As he now generates Pym particles, he can shrink down any object he so chooses, so he can carry quite the surplus of weapons and equipment he deems necessary for the task at han. He can even carry shrunk down vehicles and entire labs on his pockets. He can also apply this ability to living beings, as he once reduced Tigra to being 15 centimeters tall. Theoretically he should also be able to increase the size of anyone, though people aren't used to size-growth will sometimes experiment physical discomfort or unconsciousness.

Also, I have read elsewhere that he can bring out bio-engineered wings in order to fly.

What does he need his suit for? What are the limits of his strength?

Would appreciate any clarification as I am becoming more interested in this character.

Thanks all.

Also, he appears regularly in Secret Avengers no?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

/bump

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I don't believe that he needs the suit anymore. He's already shown that he can grow/shrink without it. The only real part of it he needs is the Ant-Man helmet to let him communicate with insects. Other than that, the only real reason I can think of is that his suit's only for show.

His strength depends on how big/small he is. When he's tiny, he retains the strength and speed of his normal height and weight. From what I understand, when he's big, his strength and speed are augmented to match his new height/weight. So if he stands 6 feet tall and can bench 200 lbs. (just for example), then when he stands at 60 feet tall, he can bench the equivalent. In the 616 continuity, his max height is 100 ft. In the Ultimate continuity, it was 60 ft.

When he took the mantle of the Wasp after Janet died, yes, he could sprout wings just like her's. I'm not sure if this ability was granted with the suit he was wearing at the time, but now that he's Giant Man again, I have yet to see them make another appearance.

And from what I understand, yes. Hank is a member of the Secret Avengers at the moment. Not sure if he's constantly used in every issue, though.

Hope I helped :)

Oh, almost forgot. He can't go from ant-size straight to giant-size and vice-versa. I mean, he can, but the strain is pretty unbearable. So when he goes one size, he usually sticks with it.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mega_spidey01

hank pym shifting sizes too much could kill him or he could get stuck at whatever height he's at.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024 said: 

Oh, almost forgot. He can't go from ant-size straight to giant-size and vice-versa. I mean, he can, but the strain is pretty unbearable. So when he goes one size, he usually sticks with it.

I think that was changed.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Really? When, and in what way?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

It was a while back not sure I remember correctly. There were two instances where writers tried to fix that. One wrote that he made an improve Pym particles and another wrote it being mostly in his head doing it to himself or actually strait up pretending.  The second one might have been around the time he became Wasp. The first time before that.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

It was a while back not sure I remember correctly. There were two instances where writers tried to fix that. One wrote that he made an improve Pym particles and another wrote it being mostly in his head doing it to himself or actually strait up pretending. The second one might have been around the time he became Wasp. The first time before that.

Huh. Not sure how I feel about that. So now he can go from ant-size to giant-size like nothing?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

It was a while back not sure I remember correctly. There were two instances where writers tried to fix that. One wrote that he made an improve Pym particles and another wrote it being mostly in his head doing it to himself or actually strait up pretending. The second one might have been around the time he became Wasp. The first time before that.

Huh. Not sure how I feel about that. So now he can go from ant-size to giant-size like nothing?

Pretty much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.