Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3722 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Google Results For Hank Pym

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Sigh...poor Hank Pym. He's never going to catch a break.

Marshal Victory made sure we caught site of this originally posted on Bleeding Cool.

No Caption Provided

The bad thing is the number three suggestion dealt with that one incident. It's not a subject to be taken lightly and seems to be a reoccurring stain that hangs over Hank.

In case you haven't read it, check out what Jim Shooter says about Hank in his "Hank Pym Was Not a Wife-Beater" write up.

In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story.

Maybe this is something I should dedicate an Off My Mind to? What do you guys think?

But the silver lining in this (if there can be one), you might've noticed in the suggestions that Comic Vine came up. As Rich Johnston put it, "Yay for Comic Vine though!"

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Hank is one of my favourite characters, and the best Avenger, imo. That said, the incident in question actually adds a lot to his character. He wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time, and artistic ****-up or not, Hank (contextually) has never tried to make excuses for what he did. He's spent the rest of his career trying to atone for that single sin, which shows how much better he is than fellow heroes like Reed Richards who've hit Sue, and never mentioned it again.

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Cervantes

Yeah, I thought they went too far with having him hit her. 

Hey, at least he didn't get a google bomb as explosive as they laid on presidential candidate Rick Santorum - YEEESH!

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By TypingKira

Poor Hank :{  

Frankly, I honestly think that the poor guy has spent far too long in the shadow of this one incident.  

Yes, i think you should do an off my mind on this! :D

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fbdarkangel

ouch!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_

Definitely do an Off My Mind on it. Or you could even broaden the subject to something among the lines of when writers expand on things that were only meant to be a small little interlude in the characters history. Like the Magneto and Rogue thing.

Avatar image for ryu_talkative_batman
    ryu_talkative_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hank Pym's epic abuse to his wife is #3. 

No Caption Provided
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

It's a part of his character now and it complicates him. If it keeps him from being sympathetic to some people, well that's not necessarily a bad thing. He's far from the only superhero to ever have a mental breakdown and attack those around them, including women.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By CombatSpoon86

dang talk about a bad rep for Hank

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Kairan1979
    @TypingKira
    single accident? I thought Hank Pym is also famous for villainous Yellowjacket and the creation of Ultron.
    TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TypingKira
    @Kairan1979: I thought we were talking about the wifebeating thing. . . I thought there was only one incident of that? 
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Ouch.  
    Wonder if Hank  ever googles himself in universe.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iLLituracy

...It's funny because I was just writing about this and just noticed this topic.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Hnak is a woman beater.... when that happen? I gotta research the man more.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f797850d03c6
    deactivated-5f797850d03c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt
    Hank is one of my favourite characters, and the best Avenger, imo. That said, the incident in question actually adds a lot to his character. He wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time, and artistic ****-up or not, Hank (contextually) has never tried to make excuses for what he did. He's spent the rest of his career trying to atone for that single sin, which shows how much better he is than fellow heroes like Reed Richards who've hit Sue, and never mentioned it again.
    What issue?
    Eet Mor Puppee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Eet Mor Puppee

Almost nobody who thinks that Hank beat Janet has actually read the issue where it occurred. Fortunately, I have that 40 Years of Avengers collection on my computer. 

Which is worse, striking someone in a fit of passion, or manipulating a clearly schizophrenic man into marrying you?  Brush up on your old Avengers issues. When Hank first became Yellowjacket, he was having a psychotic episode. He literally suffered from Multiple Personality Disorder. Janet knew that Hank was not himself and took advantage of Hank's craziness to get him to the altar, much to the shock of the other Avengers. For years before this she openly flirted with every single male Avenger in order to make Hank jealous. Every time that Hank ever left the Avengers to dedicate himself to his scientific pursuits, Janet would whine at him until he came back. I would argue that any one of these things is far more damaging to a person than a slap to the face. Jan definitely wasn't a victim, why does she get off the hook?

Even though Hank did hit his wife, this doesn't in my opinion count as domestic violence. Batterers tend to beat women over long periods of time, and often over the course of several different relationships. However, a schizophrenic person isn't responsible for his actions, and a person who lashes out once doesn't fit the profile of a 'batterer'. It's about thirty years past time for everyone to get rid of this notion that Hank Pym is a 'wife beater'. He's not. He's simply not. He never was.  

He did, however, create a robot that threatened to kill the entire human race.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By jordama

They brought it back for ultimate

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

Lol

But poor hank payment

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor hank

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.