Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Ant-Man Movie to be a "High-Tech Spy Heist Film"

• 64 results
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey
    No Caption Provided
    Scott Pilgrim vs.The World Director Edgar Wright has been talking about an Ant-Man movie for some time now. He mentioned a while ago that he wrote a script before working on Scott Pilgrim and "it’s kind on back burner slightly" while he worked on Scott Pilgrim. Even Stan Lee, creator of the character, tweeted back in February that he really was not disappointed after meeting with Wright.

In recent news it was announced that he will be returning to the production of the Ant-Man film once Scott Pilgrim was over and yet all us comic book fans wonder if the movie will ever get made, and if it does which Ant-Man do we want to see on the big screen. While some want Eric O' Grady and others prefer Scott Lang,  
    I personally have to admit that I prefer Hank Pym but why only have one when you can have them all? I mean think about it, perfect trilogy!   

Vanity Fair recently interviewed Wright about his immediate success on the premiere of his new movie. During the Interview with Vanity Fair the topic of Ant-Man came up.   
     == TEASER ==

I feel like I should ask you about the Ant Man movie.

Sure, why not?

You’ve been working on the comic book adaptation for a while. Is it ever actually going to happen?

I hope so, yeah. I’ve written a script, and once Scott Pilgrim is done I’m going to work on a second draft. It’s something I’ve been passionate about for awhile.

Yeah, but ... Ant Man? Seriously? Isn’t he like Aqua Man with lower self-esteem?

Not at all! I had a copy of the Tales to Astonish comic from the early 60s, which has his origin story. And I’ve been a fan ever since. I think it’s a really interesting high-concept idea.

Let me make sure I have this right. This guy shrinks to the size of an ant, and he has an army of ants at his disposal?

That’s right.

Is that really the most effective way to fight crime?

Ah, well ... you’ll just have to wait and see.

You’re an amazing director, Edgar, but I don’t know how this is going to work. I mean… Ant Man? The guy who becomes an ant? Isn’t that like trying to stop a mob boss with a box full of kittens?

I know there’s a big stigma attached to it, mostly because every movie about shrinking has been about people in peril. I think it’d be great to do a shrinking film about a bad-ass secret agent.

Okay, I see what you mean. I was thinking along the lines of Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Even something like The Incredible Shrinking Man, which is a fantastic film, is about a guy in trouble. But this is going to be nothing like that. It’s essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power.

The awesome power ... of an ant!

Trust me, it’ll be much cooler than you think.

Pym, O' Grady or Lang?
     Pym, O' Grady or Lang?

I got two things out of this. One, Ant-Man will be a secret agent and two, there's a huge probability this will be about Hank Pym rather than other Ant-Men. He mentioned he has a copy of Tales to Astonish from back in the 60s, which is a story oriented on Pym, being him who is the first Ant-Man in history, but why would he be a secret agent? (I could be wrong though!)
    If this will end up tying to the Avengers movie universe there's a chance that Hank Pym will be working as an Agent of SHIELD similar as what he and Janet Van Dyne did when they joined the Ultimates
    Is this good news? Or do want to see Pym in the lab rather than in "a high-tech spy heist film"? 

Source: Vanity Fair  

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 2 year user, blogger, wiki editor of Comic Vine, and all time geek! 

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By difficlus

Eric O' Grady please...

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2  Edited By The_Martian

It has to be Pym.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

When did you become a Moderator?? O_O 

And I hope O'Grady but most likey Hank or Lang.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By The_Martian
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " When did you become a Moderator?? O_O  . "
    He deserves it. He's done so much for the site!
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
    @Nobody:
    I know. I just never noitced it. 

Well, anyway CONGRATS SORA!
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Great job. Sora the key. This was your time to shine. 

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By bingbangboom

I think it will be Pym but it is possible that it will be both. They have an upcoming buddy comic with both Ant-Men in it (Wasp too). Think about it as like Pym is Ant Man and then it is stolen. They have to work together and stuff.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

For this interview (I totally guessing off of this one interview) that it's going to be Pym and O'Grady, one because it's Ant-Man, and two Eric was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (hint hint "spy heist") who stole the Ant-Man suit from to keep it from Hydra, I think this movie is going to have/should have A.I.M. as the villains, plus it would bring them, since they are pretty good badguys in Marvel, into the public eye.

Also I like how Wright answered those questions because I've been seeing the same things all over the Vine over "He turns into an...ant?" or "He shrinks...and that's it?" and from how he answered them, I think he's going make everyone who doubts the power of Ant-Man eat their words.

Totally excited for this film!!! ^___^

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By conformist21

douche reporter,
    interesting interview,
    i look forward to it

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ARMIV

I hope this movies good so it'll shut up that reporter. 
    "Ant-Man,seriously?" indeed...
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By cmaprice

Pym. Please Pym.
    I was so sad to see he and Janet aren't in the Avengers film.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Decept-O

Sora the Key's got an article!  Atta boy...   :)  

Dude, I agree, Hank Pym is my choice as well.  My thinking is Marvel MAY do an Ant-Man movie after the Avengers, and perhaps Wasp will be added with Hank in the subsequent Avengers 2 movie?  Maaayyyyybbbbeeeee????  Just speculation.
    HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By HaHaManHV

Pym as a secret agent for SHIELD and scientist or maybe he's just a scientist and Scott Lang is Ant Man. My guesses. If O' Grady is in this, I'll be giddy, but it shouldn't be him, it should be a cameo at best, that could set him up for down the line or just be a nice nod

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By Wolverine0628

Pym as a secret SHIELD agent would be very interesting.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Jotham

Vanity Fair? You can't see it, but I'm rolling my eyes right now.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMess1428

This person from Vanity Fair... Is it the chick from the Iron Man movies? Whoever it is, they totally tried to rip on Wright and Ant-Man. 

I wanna start a support group. VFP. Viners For Pym. Let's keep original characters in movies so we don't get non-readers confused. Would you want Hollywood to do a Batman movie with Jean-Paul or Dick in the cowl without any mention of Bruce? I didn't think so. 

Sounds like a good movie though. As long as it's Pym. Since Ant-Man and Wasp are supposed to be in Avengers 2, then should definitely use Pym and have Janet appear in his movie too.

DanceGreenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanceGreenman

They could start it with Hank Pym creating the pym particals, then exploring and messing around with that and creating the suit. Then suit gets stolen (by Scott Lang) who then works for Pym doing whatever happens in the movie, then gets killed in the end. Hank Pym could then take up the mantle once again with his wife (or girlfriend) Janet.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Nobody:@JoeRiccadonna:@haydenclaireheroes:@Decept-O:  Thanks guys! :D
    deadpoolmerc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deadpoolmerc3

Pym please.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goldenkey

always figured if Disney wanted to do a 3D animated movie Marvel related this would be the easiest one to do.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Magian

Congratulations Sora. As for the movie I would like for Pym to be in it. I'm not sure about the spy heist thing though.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Hank Pym; the original and the best. He's the Generation 1 of Ant-Men.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By ComicCrazy

I would kinda like to see either Hank Pym or Eric O Grady.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I hope its Hank Pym for a few reasons,

No Caption Provided
    1. Its how the Avengers was established, with the original, it bugs when they rewrite history sometimes.  And he is the origin of all the Ant Man stuff, the Ant-Men who followed and the other Pym identities (and they could show up in sequels even).
    2. Hank Pym is interesting, he seems normal and dull until you get closer and see he has always been a little on the edge and has severe mental instability and stuff.  I like the idea that every costume and identity change to his hero identity is a sign of mental stress. 

No Caption Provided
    3. Pym creates Ultron out of his insecurities and resentment for the Avengers, his teammates and himself.  Ultron is the embodiment, and by the same token, once Ultron creates the Vision, Vision embodies redemption.

About the spy heist angle, I can see it going like Hank Pym creates Pym particles and a way to communicate with Ants, technology which is very valuable for the government and makes him a perfect spy and THAT is how Hank Pym becomes a superhero and involved with the Avengers.  They can't all just be scientists who decide to be super adventure heroes.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brc2000

God, that interviewer was annoying. It just shows the problems with today's society. There's no longer any suspension of disbelief. People want everything to be realistic and down to earth.

SnottyCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SnottyCane

i liked the ultimate version not the costume but his fucked up personality.. deffently keep him in the lab! watch him slowy get deprest lol
    Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gennadius

I gotta say they need to change the helm or the outfit It always looked really weird. 
    And I definatly want to see the ant-man that was in the thunderbolts/initiative.
    Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

I heard that it will start with Hank Pym 
    But end with Scott Lang

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By grimm

I would much rather see Eric. I think normal people would like him more than Pym.

Avatar image for mercwithamouth2385
    MercWithaMouth2385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see Eric O'Grady cuz he has that badass G.I. Antman gear. I think he also makes the most sense for a High Tech - Spy - Heist Antman as seen here:  

Eh?... Eh?....
    KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KingLoki

Excited

The movie should star Pym, Lang, and Wasp. Eric O' Grady should make a cameo. Hopefully they can make a sequel.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The spy heist part makes me think O'Grady seeing how he stole his suit, but everything else makes me think Hank Pym.  So early rumors about both being the main characters seem plausible, at least from where I'm standing.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think it can be all of them. Its not like Hank Pym has a huge cast of supporting characters. Hank Pym's working on a project for SHIELD. Scott Lang, Rita DeMara and Bill Foster could be his lab assistants. Eric O'Grady steals the suit for a joyride so Pym and Lang have to go after him but then the three of them have to work together to stop something 'bigger'.

avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By avengpymhawk

It should be Pym without any question otherwise. Unless it is Pym teaching Lang or O'Grady to be the next generation.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Scrap this idea, please.  
    I do not believe Ant-Man could hold his own movie. Atleast make it  Giant-Man or something. Special effects for giants look alot better than shrinking effects.   

They should just introduce Hank and Janet in the Avengers movie IMO.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mumbles

wow! out of all the movies you could make from comics, antman will go into production?  O'grady would be more fun then pym

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By brc2000
    @Cherry Bomb said:

"  Scrap this idea, please.  I do not believe Ant-Man could hold his own movie. Atleast make it  Giant-Man or something. Special effects for giants look alot better than shrinking effects.    They should just introduce Hank and Janet in the Avengers movie IMO. "

I hate posts like these. You're entitled to bash a film if you don't like the idea of it, but there's no reason to want something to be scrapped if there are people who do want to see it. If you don't want to watch the movie nobody is forcing you to. If you think the movie is terrible, nobody's going to stop you from expressing that, but nothing much about the film has even been revealed. 

If you're an Ant-Man fan and think that the film wouldn't do justice to the character, that's another issue entirely, but from your post I'm gathering that you aren't. There are worse things that have been made into movies anyway (*cough* Scott Pilgrim *cough* )
    gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gambit987

Looks cool hope they do it and I hope he makes the character really cool because we all know it could be a weird movie.
    A spy-movie with ant-man(they should pick Hank Pym) sounds cool.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @brc2000 said:

" @Cherry Bomb said:

"  Scrap this idea, please.  I do not believe Ant-Man could hold his own movie. Atleast make it  Giant-Man or something. Special effects for giants look alot better than shrinking effects.    They should just introduce Hank and Janet in the Avengers movie IMO. "

I hate posts like these. You're entitled to bash a film if you don't like the idea of it, but there's no reason to want something to be scrapped if there are people who do want to see it. If you don't want to watch the movie nobody is forcing you to. If you think the movie is terrible, nobody's going to stop you from expressing that, but nothing much about the film has even been revealed.   If you're an Ant-Man fan and think that the film wouldn't do justice to the character, that's another issue entirely, but from your post I'm gathering that you aren't. There are worse things that have been made into movies anyway (*cough* Scott Pilgrim *cough* ) "
    I'm not 'bashing' the film, since it hasn't even been made yet. And the main point of my comment was  'IMO' everyone is entitled to there opinion and if everyone had the same one, then it would be boring.  If you have read any forums about the Avengers movie, then I have heavily protested that  Hank and Janet should be in the movie, since it is there right. But speaking from a fan of movies and studying them, I don't think the concept could be done right and be given justice to the characters that deserve them.  So yes, don't  'gather' and just ask.  
       Before you continue to bash my opinion and the fact I have an opinion that doesn't follow yours, stop with your unnecessary rant.  I'll still obviously watch the movie since I'm a fan  (more of a fan of the Ultimate versions, but still a fan) I just don't feel Ant Man can be portrayed correctly on screen in his own movie . Like I said,  MY OPINION. 
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Why he gotta be mean to Aquaman.............:(((((( 

anyway Hank Pym with cameos or small roles withh lang and ogrady will be ok
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By brc2000
    @Cherry Bomb:  Fair enough. I know that you're entitled to your opinion (which is why I mentioned that you're allowed to express your hatred towards the film all you want). I don't even disagree with your opinion. It's not about what you said, but the way you said it, especially when nothing has been confirmed about the move yet. "Scrap this idea, please" just comes out as rather snobbish and pretentious. I have extremely low expectations for the movie (along with the Thor and Avengers movies), and it's very likely that I won't even watch the film at all, but I'm not going to call for it to be canceled when there are people who want to see it. If there are movies made about tripe like Harry Potter and Twilight, there's no reason for this movie not to be made.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @brc2000:  How does it come out as snobbish? I do not see where your coming from.  "Scrap this idea, please"  is what it is, I think the solo movie should not be made, or atleast until technology can guarantee that shrinking characters won't look cheesy or child-like. 

I know that people want to see it, but I also believe that fans would rather not see a movie made if they can't do it properly than a movie made just for the sake of it.  Even in the article it says it's going to be a  "High tech spy film"  - changes already. So sue me for wanting a movie from a good character to be scrapped, then have it made and look terrible.
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Hank Pym would be best, in my opinion, for the reasons I mentioned.  But also if you look at Pym's Superhero Career, he created Pym Particles and became a Super Adventurer.  If you just imagine that instead of being a vigilante super hero he became a Spy Adventurer it still works the same way.  He could still be the same character, have a costume, and all that.
    Imagine, Pym creates Pym particles after the death of his first wife.  He decides to use them to fight crime and SHIELD finds him and tells him what an asset his particles would be.  So Pym signs up and become Ant Man.  Along the way he meets socialite Janet Van Dyne, who somehow becomes the Wasp.
    It all still works, everything about his character.  Except, instead of a super vigilante adventurer Pym is a covert spy adventurer.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By InnerVenom123

Congrats Sora!!! 

And I can't wait for this movie. O'Grady please...

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

did ultimate pym invent the shrinking serum??

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By brc2000

He got his powers by experimenting with The Wasp' s (who is a mutant in the ultimate universe, I believe) blood. I don't really read (or like) Ultimates so I could be a bit off.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    @brc2000: thats right.
    It was part of the Ultimate take on Pym.  That he was a jerk and a poor excuse for a scientist.
    TheVindicator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheVindicator

I never understood why anyone liked ant man. A guy that can shrink and ride and talk to ants. "Oh no. Run! He.......shrank.

Isn't shrinking the equivalent of turning your enemies into giants? Yeah...that'll even the odds.

Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

Pym 
    i wonder if it will be connected to the other marvel movies i like how all marvel movies lately are connected
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nighthunter

If Kevin Peige said that Hank and Janet aren't in the avengers because it wouldn't work with the first ant-man movie plotline I think its safe to say that they are the main characters of the movie, not saying that Lang or O'Grady aren't in it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.