Will Smith And Charlize Theron Confirmed For 'Hancock 2'

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you ready for a 'Hancock' sequel?

Perhaps we can blame the success of the first Hancock film on the fact that it was such a unique interpretation of a superhero; or maybe it was just Will Smith's star power that helped the movie rake in an approximate $628 million in the box office worldwide. MTV recently caught up with the film's director, Peter Beg and asked about the likelihood of a sequel.

"Everybody's going to come back for a sequel," Berg said in response to a question about the two megastars. For the sequel, Berg said we can expect the appearance of at least one more all-powerful god. "We have [someone in mind to play the role of the third God]," Berg said. "I'm not gonna tell you who, but we have!"

It seems like Berg is set on doing the sequel to the first film, and it will be interesting to see the chemistry between Theron and Smith play out on the big screen as they reprise their old roles. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how a third God thrown into the mix will affect the story, are you?
#1 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I got mixed feelings on this. The screenwriter basically shoved a melodrama into the ass end of what was mostly a comedy and it kind of took me out of the movie. I feel like the obvious thing here is the Superman 2 style "evil peers" thing, so suddenly another pair of supes come out of the closet and reek havoc because they have an axe to grind with Theron's character, who recently revealed herself. That's my guess for the story. But it should be a comedy, that's what the good parts of the first movie were.

#2 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. 
The first was horrable
#3 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down for another one. Hancock was an interesting and original take on superpowered beings and the twist definitely surpirsed me in the first movie. I thought it was a ballsy move making that movie especially considering it wasn't based on a graphic novel. It nice to see some original material once and a while instead of Hollywood mangling a book we all already read and loved.
#4 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was paced weird. It felt like a movie based on a book where all of your favorite parts were taken out to save time.

#5 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in seeing this 3rd "God"
#6 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green ankh said:

"Nope. The first was horrable "

Exactly. Will Smith could be so much better as someone like John Stewert. Or he could be Mr. Terrific if a JSA movie is ever made.

Are you ready for a 'Hancock' sequel?    Hell no.
#7 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the first one. 

Staff
#8 Posted by NightFang (9648 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
"I'm interested in seeing this 3rd "God" "
            Same here but this new God sould the king of Gods or a super God.
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the biggest surprise it that this has taken so long.  

#10 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang:
I bet its just going to be some god that went mad and killed his "partner" for the power, so he could never be weakened and be as powerful as possible.
#11 Posted by rjayb89 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

3rd god, obviously, is either Thor or Morgan Freeman.  Either way, no difference.

#12 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@rjayb89 said:
" 3rd god, obviously, is either Thor or Morgan Freeman.  Either way, no difference. "
Thorgan Freeman. I'd buy a ticket for that.
#13 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"@Bruce Vain said:
"I'm interested in seeing this 3rd "God" "
            Same here but this new God sould the king of Gods or a super God. "

Hmm I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  

#14 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy:
I agree 100 %. I felt like it didnt know what kind of movie it was to be.
#15 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet the 3rd God is going to be a baddy. Curious to see who it'll be

#16 Posted by Chamoi (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope its Kianu Reeves!!
#17 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

COOOULD be Mike Epps? ha ha ha

#18 Posted by King Saturn (222830 posts) - - Show Bio
actually I think this could be a great idea... and it would be awesome if someone like Viggo Mortenson or Gerald Butler was that Third God

lol
#19 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

No 

#20 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"The movie was paced weird. It felt like a movie based on a book where all of your favorite parts were taken out to save time. "
#21 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first one quite a bit.

#22 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I loiked the first I'm sure i'll enjoy this too.

#23 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"The movie was paced weird. It felt like a movie based on a book where all of your favorite parts were taken out to save time. "

Or, it was written as they were filming... because the longer the movie goes the less sense it makes.
#24 Posted by VIZION2011 (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I loved it and I can wait to see these to heros more in depth!

#25 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes I wonder if sequels are a good thing. Some movies need to be dropped after a first. My problem is that they never really write a movie to have a sequel. Despite how they seem to make a sequel to pretty much everything.

#26 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (813 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the 1st one, and will plan on seeing the sequel! 
Im also seeing how things will be w/ a third god involved....

#27 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Id rather have a prequal, see how all the other Gods died off, but Ill give the sequel a try, I liked the first one well enough

#28 Posted by King Saturn (222830 posts) - - Show Bio
@#1ElderScrollsFan said:
" No  "
yes... respect life baby  !
#29 Posted by Breaker envoy of Setron (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet can't wait to see it :)

#30 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

The first one was awesome. Can't wait for the sequel.

#31 Posted by bigmoneyb (163 posts) - - Show Bio

the 1st one was trash  so what hope is there for this one to be good

#32 Posted by The Psyentist (16350 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green ankh said:
" Nope. The first was horrable "
Thank you! (*Horrible)
#33 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

First one was sooo bad.

#34 Posted by NamelessHenchman (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green ankh: Haha totally agree.
#35 Posted by Om1kron (1168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green ankh said:
" Nope. The first was horrable "
your grammar is horrible...  

hancock was awesome, unlike people who spend their lives wrapped up on whats happening in the comic book world, the few folks in the land of reality easily get to take a day off and watch a popcorn flick in our world for a day. And just like Tyreses' venture into comic books, this makes people not interested in comics and superheroes.... interested.  

I'm all for a sequel. 
#36 Posted by Selty (150 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated how the trailer made it out to be a comedy, though. It wasn't. I did indeed enjoy it and it had such a heart, but it wasn't much of a comedy.

#37 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

The introduction is over, let the movie begin. 

#38 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"actually I think this could be a great idea... and it would be awesome if someone like Viggo Mortenson or Gerald Butler was that Third God

lol "

VIGGO!  He should use his real name too.  Something about the name Viggo just says (BADASS)  Forget Butler.  Him and his crooked mouth.
#39 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Lord, a sequel? not even seen the first one yet

#40 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Awsome!!!!!

#41 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awsome,I think I will check it out when it comes out.
#42 Posted by Tahdigga (449 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moomin123 said:
"@Green ankh said:

"Nope. The first was horrable "

Exactly. Will Smith could be so much better as someone like John Stewert. Or he could be Mr. Terrific if a JSA movie is ever made. Are you ready for a 'Hancock' sequel?    Hell no. "

I welcome a sequel, the first one was funny and had heart. IMO W ill Smith is a headliner with an oscar nominations under his belt, he's not some second place actor. John Stewart and Mr. Terrific are C list characters. He needs a more high profile character, with conflicts to deal with who has actually led a superhero team and not some side kick or the black version of a white counterpart either. 
#43 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

pass, the first movie was funny as hell for the first 20 minutes the rest of the movie was minor giggles and boring

#44 Posted by trence5 (3 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" . I feel like the obvious thing here is the Superman 2 style "evil peers" thing, so suddenly another pair of supes come out of the closet and reek havoc because they have an axe to grind with Theron's character, who recently revealed herself. That's my guess for the story.  "  
    I think you're probably close, even though I still glad to see they're doing some with this whole premise.  But I think they go a somewhat different route like what if one of their kind killed their "other half".  If being with the intended mate makes them lose their powers what would happen if one killed theirs?  Would it make them stronger?  I hope they do something like that.  If they do I suspect that this new was probably imprisoned somewhere by Hancock, or Theron's character or another of their race. 
  I don't think they're "gods" per-se, but like she said different eras called them different things (she did say Angels too.) 
#45 Posted by Raia (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on man, why would they make a sequel to this? The first one was terrible

#46 Posted by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

i wonder who

#47 Posted by eatmore_payless (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

the people who says the first hancock movie was terrible, have a terrible taste.

#48 Posted by Cyborg650 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Id rather have a prequal, see how all the other Gods died off, but Ill give the sequel a try, I liked the first one well enough

I agree. A prequel would be awesome. Also What if marvel bought Hancock, Do you all think he'd be in the spotlight or underrated?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.