why is Hal Jordan considered to be the greatest GL ?

• 92 results
#51 Edited by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom:
He is fearless. He witnessed the scariest thing to have happen to him and was never afraid since. He would fly in his plane without his ring (careless yes but nonetheless) because he wasn't afraid to die. He goes in fighting everything and anything that could be a threat without flinching and he will always be the first one in. That's fearless to me.
#52 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

#53 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@GreenLantern555 said:
" @Zoom: He is fearless. He witnessed the scariest thing to have happen to him and was never afraid since. He would fly in his plane without his ring (careless yes but nonetheless) because he wasn't afraid to die. He goes in fighting everything and anything that could be a threat without flinching and he will always be the first one in. That's fearless to me. "

That's not fearless.  That's stupid. 

He still had fear, fear of parallax. 

@Final Arrow 

Punching Batman isn't special.  Ten Eyed Man punches Batman.
#54 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom:  I know and it was just a stupid moment in comics for a certain writer to get revenge from when Batman nailed Guy. Best GL in my eyes will always be  

Followed by 

#55 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Scott FTW. 

#56 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Far as I'm concerned, no one beats the original Torchbearer. 

I like Hal, but without Kyle; the GLC would cease to be.
#57 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kurrent said:
" Hal is my favorite Green Lantern but  Sinestro is considered to be the greatest Green Lantern, "
#58 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio

i think i'm favoring crom-crauch's argument. when i think about hal or any comics, i try to frame it against reality. now i know this is usually a debate faux pas, but what about any tyrant from history: mao, stalin, hitler. they did well initially, screwed up really/horribly bad at the end. if history were somehow rewritten, and these men came back and tried to atone for their sins, even if their parties forgave them, does that still entitle them to the greatest leader of all time?

#59 Edited by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan is a card board cut out superhero. You strip away all his cool GL powers and give him some generic super power like say, superstrength? Who would care about him? No one. Because he has nothing unique about him at all... apart from the fact that he has a GL ring. And Geoff Johns retconning the most interesting thing about him (Emerald Twilight) and turning him into a Mary Sue/Gary Stu character who is TEH MOST IMPORTANT AND HEROIC AND AWESOME IN THE WHOLE DCU!!!1111 doesn't help matters. IMO Hal Jordan is lamer than a 2 legged dog.

A character like Guy Gardner? Even if he wasn't a GL he would be interesting... because he has an actual personality.

#60 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this guy better
#61 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: @Sexy Merc: @Final Arrow: @Zoom: @Crom-Cruach:  As I posted somewhere else, Hal Jordan hasn't been sincerely called The Greatest Green Lantern since before Emerald Twilight (When he destroyed the corps) and he knows that he isn't the greatest Green Lantern because of what he was forced to do. He his humbled at the fact of what happened an realizes he can never make up for it (Even though he saved the world my reigniting the sun). He tries ever day to make up for what he did. He didn't give up and his teammates realize this. As of right now, he is not the greatest, and personally I am happy with that. I love Hal because I can relate to him personally and I have been reading him for as long as I can remember. Kyle has shown that he could step up and be the leader that Hal couldn't.  Kyle to me is the greatest. My final thoughts on the matter. ;-)
#62 Edited by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

he's the greatest simply because he's most well know/popular......that's all 

on second thought Hal also has the uncanny ability to overcome just about anything/anyone   that may also play into it.....

#63 Posted by Black Lantern Mar-vell (2040 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hal more than Kyle, Guy, Jade, and John, BUT Alan Scott according to one issue was referenced by a Guardian as being an honorary member of the GL Corps.  So, Alan Scott IS THE GREATEST GREEN LANTERN!!
#64 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Greatest Green Lantern of them all!
#65 Posted by KingNomolos (119 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it will always be Guy, he just too funny. I still remember how he treated wonderwoman when the omacs were still about and he was trying to get the "old" JLA together. Funny stuff.
#66 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he was called the greatest Green Lantern because at the time he was the only human and there's this generic theme that humans are the best (go us!) - we are supposed to be something special in the universe because we are the audience, so from an outside point of view as the only human, he had to have a quality that none of the other Lanterns had, which I think they just said that he had the most willpower or something, in that he was the only one who would disagree with the Guardians, while agreeing with what they stood for (unlike Sinestro) 

I don't think that he has been called the greatest in a while though, to my knowlege they always say that he was the greatest the Lantern. Is there a case to call him the greatest Lantern? Maybe it's because he earned the respect of the Corps where all of the other Lanterns would have got it straight away. Abin Sur was one of the most respected Lanterns and his replacement was a human, a species that was seen to be inferior by most, if not all of the Corps, Hal Jordan went from being one of the lowest on the food chain, to taking on some of the Corps most deadliest enemies head on, going from bottom to top in a short period of time. 

Hal was the first human to prove his worth and that is what makes him one of the greatest Lanterns, whether or not he is THE greatest, I haven't really decided yet.
#67 Edited by Harlekin (682 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really buy the whole he's more well known. I think technically John Stewart is more well known, if you go to any movie site with news on the new GL movie you see a ton of ain't he supposed to be black. 2nd place probably belongs to Guy because of Batman Brave and the Bold. Superfriends was a long time ago and is looked at kinda like a joke by most non-comic fans.

#68 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

B'zzd is the best GL anyways! He went out like a gee. RIP B'zzd :(

#69 Posted by tensor (4918 posts) - - Show Bio

hal is the best an he has proven it time an time again last time was in blackest night he showed sinestro who was the man when he became the white lantern plus he is the only lantern so far who was a memeber of all the lantern from red blue etc

#70 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't take Johns writing of Hal seriously. Because it's just professional fan fiction. Johns has Mary Sued Hal Jordan.

#71 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
Arisia is the Best!  Hal Jordan is considered to be the greatest Green Lantern because he is the most known!
#72 Posted by Sexy Merc (42076 posts) - - Show Bio

He never was ION and hopefully never will be.

#73 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
" He never was ION and hopefully never will be. "
Yeah, I wouldn't like that if he was. 
#74 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves said:
" B'zzd is the best GL anyways! He went out like a gee. RIP B'zzd :( "
Hell yeah!
#75 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Was my post deleted?

#76 Posted by velle37 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i like Hal's personality now, he's a cool guy and a nice person....... 

But he lost his mind and destroyed the entire universe.........., And they had to start all of creation all over again.... 

And now their retconning it because he was so well known, that they can't just turn him evil..... cuz he's supposed to be a hero....... so they say he was possessed......... sure, okay.......

Personally John is is the best..... He was a marine, and an architect..... Very cool combination for a GL.... He was so good they asked him to be an Alpha Lantern and fuse with a battery (he declined).... He reconstructed an entire planet from his will.... Forced himself to the center of the universe on sheer willpower, learned the original language of the spheres from Ganthet and saved the JLA from Fernus..... He even became a Guardian....... His ring can't even contain the amount of will he wants to manifest......

Kyle's imagination is always entertaining... Plus he likes making constructs of girls, which is always cool...... He became Ion and saved the very existence of the GL corps........ Kyle was able to contain a Supernova with his will........ He's a notable hero as well

IMO this Hal promotion is just because he was the prominent face for a long time and the first human in the corps, sp they need to make him look good........ 

I have no personal problem with it persay.... it is annoying that others are pushed to the side just out of tradition and idiocy though............. 

But the Hal angle of a GL allows exploration that other GL's can't give....... 

Hal is a nice guy and tries to be a good person.... but he destroyed the universe and now their trying to sweep it under the rug......... 

Oh well...... 

I'll just sit back and watch..........    
#77 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkcloakx:  Fanboys
#78 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit:  I like John too! I'm glad they use him in the JLU cartoons instead of Hal. 

@JCJQLB: Yes! Arisia is very cool as well! Sometimes I feel she has little limelight time, though.
#79 Edited by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio
@velle37 said:

" Well i like Hal's personality now, he's a cool guy and a nice person.......  But he lost his mind and destroyed the entire universe.........., And they had to start all of creation all over again....  And now their retconning it because he was so well known, that they can't just turn him evil..... cuz he's supposed to be a hero....... so they say he was possessed......... sure, okay....... Personally John is is the best..... He was a marine, and an architect..... Very cool combination for a GL.... He was so good they asked him to be an Alpha Lantern and fuse with a battery (he declined).... He reconstructed an entire planet from his will.... Forced himself to the center of the universe on sheer willpower, learned the original language of the spheres from Ganthet and saved the JLA from Fernus..... He even became a Guardian....... His ring can't even contain the amount of will he wants to manifest...... Kyle's imagination is always entertaining... Plus he likes making constructs of girls, which is always cool...... He became Ion and saved the very existence of the GL corps........ Kyle was able to contain a Supernova with his will........ He's a notable hero as well IMO this Hal promotion is just because he was the prominent face for a long time and the first human in the corps, sp they need to make him look good........  I have no personal problem with it persay.... it is annoying that others are pushed to the side just out of tradition and idiocy though.............  But the Hal angle of a GL allows exploration that other GL's can't give.......  Hal is a nice guy and tries to be a good person.... but he destroyed the universe and now their trying to sweep it under the rug.........  Oh well......  I'll just sit back and watch..........     "

The Hal push right now is simply because Geoff Johns is a fanboy of Hal and the Silver Age. He's doing the same with Barry Allen. Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are now officially Mary Sues-Gary Stu's.

Johns has basically said...

"Well i know that Kyle and Wally are infinitely better, more interesting characters... but i'm going to bring Hal and Barry back and make them TEH MOST AWESOMEST IN THE DCU simply because i am a fanboy"

That's Geoff Johns recent work in a nut shell. It's professional fan-fiction.
#80 Posted by velle37 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves said:
"@velle37 said:

" Well i like Hal's personality now, he's a cool guy and a nice person.......  But he lost his mind and destroyed the entire universe.........., And they had to start all of creation all over again....  And now their retconning it because he was so well known, that they can't just turn him evil..... cuz he's supposed to be a hero....... so they say he was possessed......... sure, okay....... Personally John is is the best..... He was a marine, and an architect..... Very cool combination for a GL.... He was so good they asked him to be an Alpha Lantern and fuse with a battery (he declined).... He reconstructed an entire planet from his will.... Forced himself to the center of the universe on sheer willpower, learned the original language of the spheres from Ganthet and saved the JLA from Fernus..... He even became a Guardian....... His ring can't even contain the amount of will he wants to manifest...... Kyle's imagination is always entertaining... Plus he likes making constructs of girls, which is always cool...... He became Ion and saved the very existence of the GL corps........ Kyle was able to contain a Supernova with his will........ He's a notable hero as well IMO this Hal promotion is just because he was the prominent face for a long time and the first human in the corps, sp they need to make him look good........  I have no personal problem with it persay.... it is annoying that others are pushed to the side just out of tradition and idiocy though.............  But the Hal angle of a GL allows exploration that other GL's can't give.......  Hal is a nice guy and tries to be a good person.... but he destroyed the universe and now their trying to sweep it under the rug.........  Oh well......  I'll just sit back and watch..........     "

The Hal push right now is simply because Geoff Johns is a fanboy of Hal and the Silver Age. He's doing the same with Barry Allen. Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are now officially Mary Sues-Gary Stu's.  Johns has basically said...  "Well i know that Kyle and Wally are infinitely better, more interesting characters... but i'm going to bring Hal and Barry back and make them TEH MOST AWESOMEST IN THE DCU simply because i am a fanboy"  That's Geoff Johns recent work in a nut shell. It's professional fan-fiction. "

True i actually like part of the bringing back of the older heroes....... 

i just don't like the undue glorification and covering up........... 

But eh.... I don't care that much......
#81 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is the greatest, DEAL WITH IT! 

& despite popular demand, I've always hated John Stewart, dude always sucked to me.

#82 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

Ch'p Is My Favorite.

#83 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves said:
"The Hal push right now is simply because Geoff Johns is a fanboy of Hal and the Silver Age. He's doing the same with Barry Allen. Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are now officially Mary Sues-Gary Stu's.  Johns has basically said...  "Well i know that Kyle and Wally are infinitely better, more interesting characters... but i'm going to bring Hal and Barry back and make them TEH MOST AWESOMEST IN THE DCU simply because i am a fanboy"  That's Geoff Johns recent work in a nut shell. It's professional fan-fiction. "

Totally true. 

In fairness, Barry Allen is a really likeable guy and aside from the whole "I made the speedforce" and "I became a hero because my mom died because I became a hero" things, the new Flash series is very enjoyable. 

Green Lantern on the other hand is just month after month of showing how the world revolves around Hal Jordan.
#84 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" @the ace of knaves said:
"The Hal push right now is simply because Geoff Johns is a fanboy of Hal and the Silver Age. He's doing the same with Barry Allen. Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are now officially Mary Sues-Gary Stu's.  Johns has basically said...  "Well i know that Kyle and Wally are infinitely better, more interesting characters... but i'm going to bring Hal and Barry back and make them TEH MOST AWESOMEST IN THE DCU simply because i am a fanboy"  That's Geoff Johns recent work in a nut shell. It's professional fan-fiction. "
Totally true.  In fairness, Barry Allen is a really likeable guy and aside from the whole "I made the speedforce" and "I became a hero because my mom died because I became a hero" things, the new Flash series is very enjoyable.  Green Lantern on the other hand is just month after month of showing how the world revolves around Hal Jordan. "
Dude, I totally agree with you. Even though I love Green Lantern as much as I love the Flash, I do have to admit that the only reason why Hal Jordan is now considered to be the "main" Green Lantern, as well as being the "savior of the universe" following Blackest Night is because Geoff Johns wants it that way, I mean, no offense to Johns cause he's always been my favorite comic book writer, I just think that he's trying to make him as popular as he was during the Silver-Age (which Johns is clearly a major fan of), and so far he's succeeding, due to the success of the aforementioned Blackest Night & the upcoming Green Lantern movie.
#85 Posted by DCGal (42 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the original. He's not my favorite, but I understand his appeal, and why the GL movie is Hal's story. That's where it started.  

Also, for the people arguing that he cannot be considered the greatest because he killed all the GL's as Parallax, here is something to think about; 
Would you consider a hero less of a hero when he does wrong while being controlled by a stronger force? 
Being a Lord of the Rings fan, I keep finding little parallels between it and GL. (Power ring, Ring of Power)
When most of the characters in LOTR do something wrong because of the ring, it's usually chalked up to them basically being powerless to it's will, not the result of their chosen behavior. Hell, even Frodo, the hero of the story, succumbs to it eventually, and no one blames him for it. 

Eh, just something to think about. Just an opinion.

#86 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio
@DCGal: and that is exactly why i hate Geoff Johns recent GL work.

He took the only real character development Hal Jordan has ever had... and retconned it because he didn't like the idea of Hal being anything other than a superhero stereotype. Hals descent into madness was a truly bold, innovative and touching story line. But no, because Geoff Johns loves his Hal so much... he retconned it and blamed it all on a parasitic space bug...

Nice writing there Geoff... :|
#87 Posted by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal is about as interesting as a green painted brick to me.  He just lacks personality. 

Kyle will forever be the best to me, with John a close second. 

#88 Posted by DCGal (42 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves:
It's sad. 
Well, like with many of DC's characters, I just adore their initial concepts and detest what they do with them. 
I like Hal's background, his history with flying, his father, all of that, but I would agree that he lacks personality.
#89 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
@ComicCrazy said:
"Hal Jordan is considered to be the greatest because he has the most willpower and is utterly fearless and was the first human to become part of the Green Lantern Corps. "
He doesn't have the most willpower seeing as he gets mind controlled and possessed all the freaking time and his best feats are nothing when compared to Kyle's.  He's not utterly fearless because he's given into Parallex time and again.  Being the first human GL means jack and squat in terms of actual greatness and as pointed out before, Hal was not the first.
didnt Kyle get possessed by Parallax too? 

#90 Posted by Z3RO180 (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

kyle is way btter than hal

#91 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
The universes most bad ass Lantern!
#92 Posted by consolemaster001 (6035 posts) - - Show Bio

HAL IS THE BEST !!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.