Why I Hate Green Lantern

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6269 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically, the reasons why I hate Hal Jordan

1: He is a despicable racist. I mean, he treats Pieface alright, but he's been proven to be racially prejiduce many times

2: He has a stupid power. I mean seriously? A magical ring that can create anything? Lazy as hell folks

3: Never faces good villains. Seriously, ever

4: He is not an interesting character. There's nothing that seperates him from any other character in the book. It's like bits and pieces from Spider-Man, Iron Man and Superman were scrapped together and ended up creating Green Lantern

5: The costume. It makes the sucktastic 4 uniforms look good.

6: Ryan Reynolds. Enough said.

#2 Posted by Dracade102 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro doesn't qualify as a good villain? Harsh... And most of what you mentioned is or has been made non-cannon, but I see your point... His infamous history takes away a lot from the quality his character could have.

#3 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I've never read a Green Lantern comic myself, but these are some of the reasons that it has never interested me really. Still though, I feel I should give them a chance at some point. I was going to with the relaunch, but then I started hearing that they didn't bother to change anything about the Lanterns really from the past DC, which I thought was odd. I thought the entire point of it was to give people a new jump on point, but then they didn't really change anything (from what I've read). Frustrating, but still I may give them a chance.

#4 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Spite thread

#5 Edited by rogue_mar1e (19759 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan isn't all that great as a character, but some of the things you've mentioned there like having a 'stupid power', a horrible costume and never facing any good villains isn't true.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice troll thread mate

#7 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

The racist thing was taken out of context if you actually read those comics and not the panels people post you would understand that.

#8 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13631 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

1: He is a despicable racist. I mean, he treats Pieface alright, but he's been proven to be racially prejiduce many times

2: He has a stupid power. I mean seriously? A magical ring that can create anything? Lazy as hell folks

4: He is not an interesting character. There's nothing that seperates him from any other character in the book. It's like bits and pieces from Spider-Man, Iron Man and Superman were scrapped together and ended up creating Green Lantern

>.< 

1. Hal is not a racist . and there is no "many times" there was ONE time where an old man suggested that Hal was not doing all that he could and even THAT old man admitted that it looked like Hal obviously was not neglecting people on purpose and that it was obvious that Hal wanted to make things right which he did. Have you ever actually read any GL's outside of Geoff Johns' material? Or did you take a look at some half assed scan on some satire website and decide to get pissed. secondly you complain about racism but you decide to call Tom Kalmaku the same racist nickname that no one has called him in at least 30 years?!?!  How does that work exactly

Whats lazy about his power? the ability to create what you can think of is brilliant and challenges the characters and writers to think of unique ways. 

3. Matter of opinion i suppose. i personally think that Hal has great villains. Sinestro, Krona, Star Sapphire, Black Hand, Cyborg Superman and Shark are all pretty cool but thats just me. 

4.  Hal WAS created before 2 out of 3 of the characters you mentioned so its really more like they took pieces from him.  and theirs alot the separates him from the others in the book. think about it. the corps former greatest agent attempting to correct wrongs that weren't truly his in the first, regardless of the horrendous consequences?

5. are you going to actually going to elaborate on wat makes his costume suck? or are we supposed to agree with you regardless? 

6. What did Ryan Reynolds do? Geoff Johns was the one who screwed up the movie in the first place. 

@amazinglover said:

The racist thing was taken out of context if you actually read those comics and not the panels people post you would understand that.

thank god someone else actually uses some logic.
#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24718 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Hal sucks but not for the reasons mentioned Kyle, John and Kilowog are awesome though

#10 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not racist, especially not "many times" like you claim. Name me specific isses and pages of this racist acts, and then read the entire issue and use your own brain, not what someone tells you, and report back on if you still feel he's racist. He has many great villains, first and foremost Sinestro. But you wouldn't know that because you obviously haven't read a single issue of the book. If you had you would realize that his ring isn't a "stupid magical ring." Golden Age Alan Scott Green Lantern, who is no way related or involved with the Green Lantern Corps is magic based. Hal, the Green Lantern Corps, and Guardians have nothing to do with magic. Nice thread troll, next time at least know a little bit about what you're talking about before you post.

#11 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41 said:

He is not racist, especially not "many times" like you claim. Name me specific isses and pages of this racist acts, and then read the entire issue and use your own brain, not what someone tells you, and report back on if you still feel he's racist. He has many great villains, first and foremost Sinestro. But you wouldn't know that because you obviously haven't read a single issue of the book. If you had you would realize that his ring isn't a "stupid magical ring." Golden Age Alan Scott Green Lantern, who is no way related or involved with the Green Lantern Corps is magic based. Hal, the Green Lantern Corps, and Guardians have nothing to do with magic. Nice thread troll, next time at least know a little bit about what you're talking about before you post.
Bravo Well put..
#13 Posted by Jane McClane (197 posts) - - Show Bio

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

#14 Posted by Jane McClane (197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

Try this one it's even better...

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24718 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41: I don't buy the racist thing but Hal did knock out that amputee that one time

#16 Edited by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be the first to admit I don't like Hal as a character. I didn't even care in any shape or form when they killed him off. But I have to admit that without Hal we'd never have had the GLCorps and that means we'd never have seen Guy, Kyle, or Kilowog, so I respect that a little but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

#17 Posted by eatmore_payless (2209 posts) - - Show Bio

this is what Sinestro have to say

#18 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool said:

I'll be the first to admit I don't like Hal as a character. I didn't even care in any shape or form when they killed him off. But I have to admit that without Hal we'd never have had the GLCorps and that means we'd never have seen Guy, Kyle, or Kilowog, so I respect that a little but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

#19 Posted by Saren (25082 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Rayner is the greatest Green Lantern of all. He was certified by a cosmic entity.

#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:

Kyle Rayner is the greatest Green Lantern of all. He was certified by a cosmic entity.

This. Geoff just hates him so he refuses to give him his due, as such, either Hal or Sinestro are always called the "greatest", even though Kyle eclipses both. 
#21 Posted by Saren (25082 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@CitizenBane said:

This. Geoff just hates him so he refuses to give him his due, as such, either Hal or Sinestro are always called the "greatest", even though Kyle eclipses both.

http://i41.tinypic.com/r7q5n6.png

Dream's opinion >>> Geoff Johns' opinion, as far as I'm concerned.

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (15439 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@CitizenBane said:

http://i41.tinypic.com/r7q5n6.png

Dream's opinion >>> Geoff Johns' opinion, as far as I'm concerned.

Dream miscalculated,step aside for Sinestro kiddo.Hal is'nt on the radar though.

#23 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

um, isnt that irrelevent? wasnt it after jordan took his fall as parallax? also troll, i just wikied hal jordan and low and behold it seems thats exactly where you got your info...wiki, where if you keyword search racism it comes up with the pieface comment exactly as you described it, like you read it and thought you had insight, and the old guy who called him out. your just ignorant. it wasnt that hal was racist it was that he was a conduit for a message in a time where racism was rampant and it was a statistic that at least one hero was inclined toward being one. learn to see the big picture. And even then, it wasn't he was racist it was that those were the times, and logically he wouldve grown up in the 40's or generously, the 50's where blacks were treated with the respect of a house maid, being seen but never heard, and only addressed when necessary. hal at that time, was a symbol of the ignorance in white america, where blacks were the mexicans of the time. I'm a mixed man who can see from both sides of the fence and fully believe that Hal is not a racist.

also that saruman troll vid made me tear up thnx for that, and troll, if your going to considr yourself bold for posting a hate thread, than have the huevos to defend your argument, im waiting

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

1. No idea what you're talking about it.
  2. No it isn't.
  3. Yes he does. Unless you're counting his original villains, but then again Daredevil went up the Stilt-man, so Silver-Age villains don't count.
  4. This is subjective, thus I'd disagree.
  5. Same as above.
  6. Haven't seen it, but if you were expecting anything good from that movie you might have been insane.
#25 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

hal jordan never seemed intersting to me at all i only pick up redlanterns new gaurdian corps and green lantern corps that its

#26 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate thread concerning Green Lanterns and Hal? Good job, troll!

#27 Posted by HolySerpent (12807 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal >>>>>>>>>> Kyle

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.