Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Why Hal Jordan...?

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Lion_Heart22

Hey, newbie here. 

I mean, I just made this account, but I've been lurking around the vine for a long time now. Anyway, recently I read a blog in the Hal Jordan page, which asked the question "What's so great about Hal Jordan?" Well, I can't speak for anyone else here at the vine, but I'll try to put into words why Hal is the greatest Green Lantern in my book, and one of my favorite superheroes, and why he does indeed deserve his place in the GL mythos as the mantlepiece. 

Okay, so for starters, he was the first. Yes, I'm aware of Alan Scott, but he just had the name, he wasn't a member of the Corps, and we all know that Hal was the first human GL. To draw a comparison, there was an old Golden Age character called the Black Widow who bore no resemblance to the Natalia Romanova we now know, same case with an older incarnation of the famed Ghost Rider. So, technically speaking, yes, Hal was the first human Green Lantern, and he had the best origin story out of anyone who ever bore that name. You don't have a good origin, you have nothing. Hal's a classic, and people dissing his costume should remember that his was one of the most modern examples of superhero costumes at the time it was created. It still is. His look, his character, is as iconic as Superman's and has only recently mildly been robbed of his importance in the eyes of the non-comic reader population by the latest adaptations of the JLA to TV. Really, who are the others?  

Guy? He's that other dude who would've been GL but wasn't, became an annoying jerk and only became a good character when Hal came back. John? He never grew a personality until they force-fed him to the world with the animated series. Kyle? The trademark replacement who'll never live up to the original standards. You wanna talk about bad protectors? He let his girlfriend get killed and only seems to have been affected by it from time to time. He even cracks jokes about it. I love the kid but he didn't even had enough willpower to beat Slade with the most powerful weapon in the universe.  

Aquaman did that. Whilst blinded. With one strike. And fighting alone.

See here, Hal has that old school charisma that other heroes, even heroes older than him, like Superman and Batman, lack. He reminds me so much of Han Solo; here's a character that can sit in a bar having a regular day, and a few moments later, he's flying off to save the world. He punches the bad guys, saves the world, cracks a joke and kisses the girl, those characters just aren't common anymore. He is an everyman, and to me, one of the most relatable characters in the JLA. He's not a Godly alien, not an Amazon Warrior Princess, not a brooding dark knight or an Atlantean King. He's just a guy with the most powerful weapon in the universe and a good sense of humour. He didn't chose the life of a Green Lantern, he was chosen for it, and went from a ordinary airforce gruff to a Galactic Guardian. This of course is only one of Hal's faces. We all know he screwed up. Big time. He lost his city, his whole life, and went insane, but really people, could you judge a person for losing it under those circumstances?  
    What would Superman do if faced with the vision of Lois, Jimmy, Perry White, the whole of Metropolis turned into a smoldering crater? It was simply Hal's fate to be the one who lived through that. But he was never evil, he was simply lost in grief. There he was, the hero who had saved the planet and the galaxy countless times, and this was his reward? And even when he had crossed the line into becoming Parallax, he was still able to pull himself back and save the world yet again, sacrificing his life in the process.  

Not only that, he became the Spectre and sought to right the wrong he had done in life. And after he was brought back, he faced his former friends, he faced his heir and the Corps, he took full responsability for what he had done and he never took anyone's forgiveness for granted, but worked hard to rectify what he had done and is still earning everyone's trust back. Is that being a coward? Anyone one of you who has ever done something wrong knows the guts it takes to face up to what you have done and try to make it right again. 

Hal's story is one of courage, adventure, tragedy, darkness, redemption... amongst the GL's, he certainly seems to me the one with more dimensions to his character, and his flaws of character are not bigger or more important than those of his teammates. Not to be trusted? Everyone, even John and Guy trust Hal with his life. But Batman? He fights alongside you yet he has a plan for killing you hiding in his batbelt. Batman couldn't save Jason Todd, Aquaman couldn't save his child, Wonder Woman outright KILLED a man for the world to see, and not to mention what the JLA did with Dr. Light and others to protect their identities. Alcohol? Should I mention Tony Stark? Roy Harper? Mia Dearden? Hercules? That's actually why people can relate to him, he's not perfect! And yet he is the greatest Green Lantern, and I mean he's the best at doing what a GL does. His designs are simplistic, yes, but that is exactly what his character would do. He doesn't create architecturally accurate constructs or intricated pieces of art, because he doesn't need them. Hal gets the job done better than anyone else and with goes straight to the point. Not to mention his willpower is said to be the greatest in the universe, something which automatically makes him the most capable GL. After all, Guy was helpless against Doomsday and Kyle got his fingers broken by Deathstroke.  
    Hal is a true, classic hero, but one who also just happens to be human, and that makes him that much more appealing to me as a character, because its inspiring how, no matter how badly you've messed something up, no metter how far into the darkness have you gone, with enough courage and willpower, a man, a hero will always face up to what he's done, and seek redemption. A hero is a hero, through and through, wether its in the Brighest day, or in the Blackest night, you can bet Hal's light will keep shining. 

Anyway, those are my two cents. What are yours? Does Hal deserve his legendary status? Do you think someone else is a better GL?  

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Im so proud of you.......*tears of joy*

you were a little tough on kyle though

Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By the ace of knaves

The best thing that ever happened to Hal, character development wise, was Emerald Twilight... and it was retconned so all that character development was taken away... and it was all blamed on some ridiculous yellow space bug...

Hal Jordan is a cardboard cut out superhero. Take away his Green Lantern powers and give him some generic super power like superstrength... what's left? Nothing... a shell of a character.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Poor Kyle :(

Good write-up though.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Theodore

Hal is the best DC character next to Barry Allen.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Theodore said:
    "Hal is the best DC character next to Barry Allen. "

He Saved The Day 
    He Punched The Knight 
    Dont Hate On Hal 
    Hes DY-NO-Mite!!!!!!!!!1
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lion_Heart22

Thanks! I was sure I was gonna get bashed hehe 
    Truth be told, Kyle is my favorite GL after Hal... but you gotta admit he was made to look bad a lot of times on account of being the "inexperienced" lantern. 

I would've preferred if Hal's story in Emerald Twilight had stayed the same because it was compellig. Alas I think it still has its impact, just as how Superman died but got better, or Batman got his back broken. Everything done in those stories was undone later but they're still important in DC history. I think maybe the reason why people think Hal is dry or cardboad is because he's the old fashioned everyman hero and that's not so edgy for the new generations to get hooked up. We have to face it though, every hero nowadays is his/her powers and without them would be left with nothing.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Amegashita

Love it, glad to see another Hal Jordan fan.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superdork

I read your whole blog, but I still don't agree with you. This is not an attack.

I don't like Hal Jordan because other than courage and willpower (traits that pretty much every comic book hero have), he has no other exciting personality traits.
    If you stripped Hal Jordans GL powers away, and gave him some standard super power like super strength or a healing factor... would anyone give a crap about him? 
    I think the answer is no. In that same situation, I would still read Spider-man. I would still read Wolverine. I would still read the Wally West stories. i would still read the Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner stories. I would still love Cyclops. I would still like Power Girl. Just look at Luke Cage--he doesn't need constructs to be interesting.

Here are the reasons Hal's fans like him:
    1. He's the greatest and strongest GL.
    That's not a personality.

2. He's the first human GL Corps member.
    That's not a personality.

3. Hal beat X and saved the world/galaxy.
    That's not a personality. In fact, pretty much every superhero does that.

4. He's fearless and has more willpower than anyother GL.
    The latter part is debateable, and every other hero is fearless. Wolverine, Batman, Flash, Superman, Cyclops, Spawn, Invincible, etc. aren't cowards either.
     How does Hal stand apart?

I don't care that Hal turned evil, because that was Parallax. I don't care if he hit women--that was the mid 20th century.
    But I have no reason to like him other than he's a rather generic superhero. I don't see what makes him SPECIAL, other than his powers.
    I also don't understand why the most bland GL is the poster-boy for the franchise again.

Amongst the GL's, he certainly seems to be the one with the least dimensions character despite his long history. Under Geoff Johns, he's a bland Mary Sue. Under everyone else, he's
    an a-hole wannabe Maverick from Top Gun. 

Obviously, people on this thread will hate me for my post, but I will not respond to any attacks. If you disagree with me, let me know what you disagree with, and we can have a discussion about it.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Superdork said:
    " I read your whole blog, but I still don't agree with you. This is not an attack.  I don't like Hal Jordan because other than courage and willpower (traits that pretty much every comic book hero have), he has no other exciting personality traits. If you stripped Hal Jordans GL powers away, and gave him some standard super power like super strength or a healing factor... would anyone give a crap about him?  I think the answer is no. In that same situation, I would still read Spider-man. I would still read Wolverine. I would still read the Wally West stories. i would still read the Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner stories. I would still love Cyclops. I would still like Power Girl. Just look at Luke Cage--he doesn't need constructs to be interesting. Here are the reasons Hal's fans like him: 1. He's the greatest and strongest GL. That's not a personality.  2. He's the first human GL Corps member. That's not a personality.  3. Hal beat X and saved the world/galaxy. That's not a personality. In fact, pretty much every superhero does that.  4. He's fearless and has more willpower than anyother GL. The latter part is debateable, and every other hero is fearless. Wolverine, Batman, Flash, Superman, Cyclops, Spawn, Invincible, etc. aren't cowards either.  How does Hal stand apart?    I don't care that Hal turned evil, because that was Parallax. I don't care if he hit women--that was the mid 20th century. But I have no reason to like him other than he's a rather generic superhero. I don't see what makes him SPECIAL, other than his powers. I also don't understand why the most bland GL is the poster-boy for the franchise again.    Amongst the GL's, he certainly seems to be the one with the least dimensions character despite his long history. Under Geoff Johns, he's a bland Mary Sue. Under everyone else, he's an a-hole wannabe Maverick from Top Gun.  Obviously, people on this thread will hate me for my post, but I will not respond to any attacks. If you disagree with me, let me know what you disagree with, and we can have a discussion about it. "

i dont hate you for your opinion, i cant speak for anyone else though
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lion_Heart22
    @Superdork said:
    " I read your whole blog, but I still don't agree with you. This is not an attack.  I don't like Hal Jordan because other than courage and willpower (traits that pretty much every comic book hero have), he has no other exciting personality traits. If you stripped Hal Jordans GL powers away, and gave him some standard super power like super strength or a healing factor... would anyone give a crap about him?  I think the answer is no. In that same situation, I would still read Spider-man. I would still read Wolverine. I would still read the Wally West stories. i would still read the Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner stories. I would still love Cyclops. I would still like Power Girl. Just look at Luke Cage--he doesn't need constructs to be interesting. Here are the reasons Hal's fans like him: 1. He's the greatest and strongest GL. That's not a personality.  2. He's the first human GL Corps member. That's not a personality.  3. Hal beat X and saved the world/galaxy. That's not a personality. In fact, pretty much every superhero does that.  4. He's fearless and has more willpower than anyother GL. The latter part is debateable, and every other hero is fearless. Wolverine, Batman, Flash, Superman, Cyclops, Spawn, Invincible, etc. aren't cowards either.  How does Hal stand apart?    I don't care that Hal turned evil, because that was Parallax. I don't care if he hit women--that was the mid 20th century. But I have no reason to like him other than he's a rather generic superhero. I don't see what makes him SPECIAL, other than his powers. I also don't understand why the most bland GL is the poster-boy for the franchise again.    Amongst the GL's, he certainly seems to be the one with the least dimensions character despite his long history. Under Geoff Johns, he's a bland Mary Sue. Under everyone else, he's an a-hole wannabe Maverick from Top Gun.  Obviously, people on this thread will hate me for my post, but I will not respond to any attacks. If you disagree with me, let me know what you disagree with, and we can have a discussion about it. "

Like Voltarie said (or at least I think it was him): "I may not agree with what  you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it". To me, Hal is all kinds of cool but the reasons that you mention about why people like him are not the reasons I have. Like I said, he gives off this ol' rebel James Dean-Marlon Brando aura. He was a rebel way before Guy even existed, but he isn't the annoying type. He's the type that'll do what he knows is right, no matter who tells him not to, and if you get in his way, he'll punch you out and later on he'll buy you a drink and be best buds with you. Your drawing paralelisms with Maverick from Top Gun is not that far fetched, but try to keep in mind that Hal came before him, and he came before Bond or Han Solo, other two characters he reminds me of. And, Hal is not fearless. No believable hero should ever be fearless, not even Superman. He has the capacity of doing the right thing despite fear, which is true, most heroes have, but then again, none of them make such a point about it like Hal does. Anyway, thank you for your two cents, we can agree to disagree, we all know some people love Barry Allen to death and others prefer Wally West. BTW, Your awesome for digging Cyclops.
    Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superdork
    @Lion_Heart22 said:

" @Superdork said:

Like Voltarie said (or at least I think it was him): "I may not agree with what  you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it". To me, Hal is all kinds of cool but the reasons that you mention about why people like him are not the reasons I have. Like I said, he gives off this ol' rebel James Dean-Marlon Brando aura. He was a rebel way before Guy even existed, but he isn't the annoying type. He's the type that'll do what he knows is right, no matter who tells him not to, and if you get in his way, he'll punch you out and later on he'll buy you a drink and be best buds with you. Your drawing paralelisms with Maverick from Top Gun is not that far fetched, but try to keep in mind that Hal came before him, and he came before Bond or Han Solo, other two characters he reminds me of. And, Hal is not fearless. No believable hero should ever be fearless, not even Superman. He has the capacity of doing the right thing despite fear, which is true, most heroes have, but then again, none of them make such a point about it like Hal does. Anyway, thank you for your two cents, we can agree to disagree, we all know some people love Barry Allen to death and others prefer Wally West. BTW, Your awesome for digging Cyclops. "
    I can see the James Dean-Marlon Brando aura in Hal's origin, but that seems to often disapear in the stories and in Hal's own book only to reappear whenever he's with Batman. If that were to remain consistent--if he were to be that roguish hero reminiscent of Jesse James and Gambit, I think I would actually like him, but whenever he turns into that Mary Sue, I roll my eyes. 
    I agree with you that no hero should be fearless--just courageous--but Hal is often described as fearless.
    Thank you for responding to my points so politely. Your response has made me see what Hal should be even though I still don't think his character is being executed well.
    Hopefully the GL movie will change that in the same way that the Iron Man movie improved the comic book version of Iron Man.
    P.S. If you like Cyclops and Aquaman, you're worth listening to.

Peace.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Superdork:
    lol  the 3 caballeros, the 3 cablleros they say we are birds of a feather!!!!
    Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superdork
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    " @Superdork: lol  the 3 caballeros, the 3 cablleros they say we are birds of a feather!!!! "
    Lol! I guess so.

No Caption Provided
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lion_Heart22

@Superdork
    said:
    I can see the James Dean-Marlon Brando aura in Hal's origin, but that seems to often disapear in the stories and in Hal's own book only to reappear whenever he's with Batman. If that were to remain consistent--if he were to be that roguish hero reminiscent of Jesse James and Gambit, I think I would actually like him, but whenever he turns into that Mary Sue, I roll my eyes.  I agree with you that no hero should be fearless--just courageous--but Hal is often described as fearless. Thank you for responding to my points so politely. Your response has made me see what Hal should be even though I still don't think his character is being executed well. Hopefully the GL movie will change that in the same way that the Iron Man movie improved the comic book version of Iron Man. P.S. If you like Cyclops and Aquaman, you're worth listening to.  Peace. "

I agree with that, Hal is not always written right and that's something I really dislike, hopefully and as you say, the GL movie will be good and he'll get better writers who can make him the kind of character he is meant to be. And thank you for your constructive criticism and intelligen dialogue, which is something very rare on the internet heh. Be seeing you around and good luck man! 
    PS. Aquaman and Cyke rule 

@Avenging-X-Bolt 
    Lol XD
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Superdork said:  "1. He's the greatest and strongest GL. That's not a personality.   2. He's the first human GL Corps member. That's not a personality.   3. Hal beat X and saved the world/galaxy. That's not a personality. In fact, pretty much every superhero does that.   4. He's fearless and has more willpower than anyother GL. The latter part is debateable, and every other hero is fearless. Wolverine, Batman, Flash, Superman, Cyclops, Spawn, Invincible, etc. aren't cowards either.  "

These are all facts. It's an insult to compare someone as utterly shallow and boring as Hal Jordan to people as cool and charismatic as Jimmy Dean and Han Solo. There is a difference between being a rogue/rebel and a douche bag. Hal Jordan is a douche bag who has contemplated getting with underage girls and who has actually got with his friends girlfriend whist his friend was temporarily dead, not a rebel. 

And I'm STILL waiting for someone to answer this... Would anyone give a crap about Hal Jordan if he didn't have his cool GL powers?
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lion_Heart22 said:
    "

Hey, newbie here. 

I mean, I just made this account, but I've been lurking around the vine for a long time now. Anyway, recently I read a blog in the Hal Jordan page, which asked the question "What's so great about Hal Jordan?" Well, I can't speak for anyone else here at the vine, but I'll try to put into words why Hal is the greatest Green Lantern in my book, and one of my favorite superheroes, and why he does indeed deserve his place in the GL mythos as the mantlepiece. 

Okay, so for starters, he was the first. Yes, I'm aware of Alan Scott, but he just had the name, he wasn't a member of the Corps, and we all know that Hal was the first human GL. To draw a comparison, there was an old Golden Age character called the Black Widow who bore no resemblance to the Natalia Romanova we now know, same case with an older incarnation of the famed Ghost Rider. So, technically speaking, yes, Hal was the first human Green Lantern, and he had the best origin story out of anyone who ever bore that name. You don't have a good origin, you have nothing. Hal's a classic, and people dissing his costume should remember that his was one of the most modern examples of superhero costumes at the time it was created. It still is. His look, his character, is as iconic as Superman's and has only recently mildly been robbed of his importance in the eyes of the non-comic reader population by the latest adaptations of the JLA to TV. Really, who are the others? 

Guy? He's that other dude who would've been GL but wasn't, became an annoying jerk and only became a good character when Hal came back. John? He never grew a personality until they force-fed him to the world with the animated series. Kyle? The trademark replacement who'll never live up to the original standards. You wanna talk about bad protectors? He let his girlfriend get killed and only seems to have been affected by it from time to time. He even cracks jokes about it. I love the kid but he didn't even had enough willpower to beat Slade with the most powerful weapon in the universe.  

No Caption Provided

Aquaman did that. Whilst blinded. With one strike. And fighting alone.

See here, Hal has that old school charisma that other heroes, even heroes older than him, like Superman and Batman, lack. He reminds me so much of Han Solo; here's a character that can sit in a bar having a regular day, and a few moments later, he's flying off to save the world. He punches the bad guys, saves the world, cracks a joke and kisses the girl, those characters just aren't common anymore. He is an everyman, and to me, one of the most relatable characters in the JLA. He's not a Godly alien, not an Amazon Warrior Princess, not a brooding dark knight or an Atlantean King. He's just a guy with the most powerful weapon in the universe and a good sense of humour. He didn't chose the life of a Green Lantern, he was chosen for it, and went from a ordinary airforce gruff to a Galactic Guardian. This of course is only one of Hal's faces. We all know he screwed up. Big time. He lost his city, his whole life, and went insane, but really people, could you judge a person for losing it under those circumstances?  
    What would Superman do if faced with the vision of Lois, Jimmy, Perry White, the whole of Metropolis turned into a smoldering crater? It was simply Hal's fate to be the one who lived through that. But he was never evil, he was simply lost in grief. There he was, the hero who had saved the planet and the galaxy countless times, and this was his reward? And even when he had crossed the line into becoming Parallax, he was still able to pull himself back and save the world yet again, sacrificing his life in the process.  

No Caption Provided

Not only that, he became the Spectre and sought to right the wrong he had done in life. And after he was brought back, he faced his former friends, he faced his heir and the Corps, he took full responsability for what he had done and he never took anyone's forgiveness for granted, but worked hard to rectify what he had done and is still earning everyone's trust back. Is that being a coward? Anyone one of you who has ever done something wrong knows the guts it takes to face up to what you have done and try to make it right again. 

No Caption Provided

Hal's story is one of courage, adventure, tragedy, darkness, redemption... amongst the GL's, he certainly seems to me the one with more dimensions to his character, and his flaws of character are not bigger or more important than those of his teammates. Not to be trusted? Everyone, even John and Guy trust Hal with his life. But Batman? He fights alongside you yet he has a plan for killing you hiding in his batbelt. Batman couldn't save Jason Todd, Aquaman couldn't save his child, Wonder Woman outright KILLED a man for the world to see, and not to mention what the JLA did with Dr. Light and others to protect their identities. Alcohol? Should I mention Tony Stark? Roy Harper? Mia Dearden? Hercules? That's actually why people can relate to him, he's not perfect! And yet he is the greatest Green Lantern, and I mean he's the best at doing what a GL does. His designs are simplistic, yes, but that is exactly what his character would do. He doesn't create architecturally accurate constructs or intricated pieces of art, because he doesn't need them. Hal gets the job done better than anyone else and with goes straight to the point. Not to mention his willpower is said to be the greatest in the universe, something which automatically makes him the most capable GL. After all, Guy was helpless against Doomsday and Kyle got his fingers broken by Deathstroke.  
    Hal is a true, classic hero, but one who also just happens to be human, and that makes him that much more appealing to me as a character, because its inspiring how, no matter how badly you've messed something up, no metter how far into the darkness have you gone, with enough courage and willpower, a man, a hero will always face up to what he's done, and seek redemption. A hero is a hero, through and through, wether its in the Brighest day, or in the Blackest night, you can bet Hal's light will keep shining. 

Anyway, those are my two cents. What are yours? Does Hal deserve his legendary status? Do you think someone else is a better GL?  

"
     Hal's costume is friggin lame. Those elbow length white gloves make him look like a Power Ranger... which are lame.

Guy Gardner was the number 1 choice. But Hal got the ring because he was closer to Abin Sur. Or has all that been retconned by the fanboy Geoff Johns too? :|

Kyle Reyner? He has a personality. So he lost to Deathstroke... i guess when we are talking to Hal Jordan fans we can only judge whether characters are good or bad due to their power levels... because that is the only thing Hal has got going for him.

John? Ehhh i don't like him either. He's like Hal, a boring, no charisma douche bag. But he was pretty cool in the JL cartoon. Him and Wally West's banter was always a treat. 

Comparing Hal Jordan to Han Solo or Jimmy Dean is an insult to them. Those two were charismatic rebels... Hal is a douche bag without charisma. There is a difference between being a rebel/rogue and a douche. And good sense of humour? LMAO get the fugg outta here... Hal's sense of humour is calling someone out and ridiculing them... or coming out with some terribly cliche one liner in a fight for no other reason than to TRY to be cool.

Now we come to the real problem with Hal Jordan... Emerald Twilight... I hate Hal Jordan, but Emerald Twilight was a brilliant story. It was bold, tragic and innovative. I mean, it took real balls to take a mainstream superhero on that sort of journey. And like you said, it took him to a dark place... but he redeemed himself by igniting the sun.

But guess what? All that character development (the only real character development Hal has ever really had) was retconned. Geoof Johns came along and went "You know what? Hal Jordan is my favourite ever character, and i can't stand the fact that he was made into someone fallible and someone who is anything other than a superhero cliche. I'm going to retcon all that and blame it all on a ridiculous yellow space bug!"

Nice writing there Geoff! :\

Hal's story is one of courage, adventure, tragedy, darkness and redemption? Well you gotta take the darkness and redemption part out of it because yea, it was retconned by a fanboy fortunate enough to be writing for DC. And the fact is, courage, adventure, tragedy... all those things are not unique to Hal Jordan. They are comic book/superhero stereotypes. 

Now the last paragraph...

His designs are simplistic... because he is a shallow, shell of a character. He doesn't have any personality. I don't want to see a superhero "just get the job done" i want to seem some unique traits, some personality, something other than being really powerful. See when it comes to debating with Hal Jordan fans, what it always boils down to is how powerful Hal Jordan is. And i'm sorry, anyone who judges a characters worth based on their power levels is, well, i'll just say sucky. It's a pathetic way to judge whether a character is a good or bad character. It really is.

So AGAIN i will ask the question... If Hal Jordan wasn't a Green Lantern, if he didn't have those unique and cool powers that comes with being a Green Lantern... would anyone really give a crap about him? Would they still read books featuring him if he just had some generic superpower like strength or healing or flight?
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lion_Heart22
    @the ace of knaves said:
     Hal's costume is friggin lame. Those elbow length white gloves make him look like a Power Ranger... which are lame.  Guy Gardner was the number 1 choice. But Hal got the ring because he was closer to Abin Sur. Or has all that been retconned by the fanboy Geoff Johns too? :|  Kyle Reyner? He has a personality. So he lost to Deathstroke... i guess when we are talking to Hal Jordan fans we can only judge whether characters are good or bad due to their power levels... because that is the only thing Hal has got going for him.  John? Ehhh i don't like him either. He's like Hal, a boring, no charisma douche bag. But he was pretty cool in the JL cartoon. Him and Wally West's banter was always a treat.   Comparing Hal Jordan to Han Solo or Jimmy Dean is an insult to them. Those two were charismatic rebels... Hal is a douche bag without charisma. There is a difference between being a rebel/rogue and a douche. And good sense of humour? LMAO get the fugg outta here... Hal's sense of humour is calling someone out and ridiculing them... or coming out with some terribly cliche one liner in a fight for no other reason than to TRY to be cool.  Now we come to the real problem with Hal Jordan... Emerald Twilight... I hate Hal Jordan, but Emerald Twilight was a brilliant story. It was bold, tragic and innovative. I mean, it took real balls to take a mainstream superhero on that sort of journey. And like you said, it took him to a dark place... but he redeemed himself by igniting the sun.  But guess what? All that character development (the only real character development Hal has ever really had) was retconned. Geoof Johns came along and went "You know what? Hal Jordan is my favourite ever character, and i can't stand the fact that he was made into someone fallible and someone who is anything other than a superhero cliche. I'm going to retcon all that and blame it all on a ridiculous yellow space bug!"  Nice writing there Geoff! :\  Hal's story is one of courage, adventure, tragedy, darkness and redemption? Well you gotta take the darkness and redemption part out of it because yea, it was retconned by a fanboy fortunate enough to be writing for DC. And the fact is, courage, adventure, tragedy... all those things are not unique to Hal Jordan. They are comic book/superhero stereotypes.   Now the last paragraph...  His designs are simplistic... because he is a shallow, shell of a character. He doesn't have any personality. I don't want to see a superhero "just get the job done" i want to seem some unique traits, some personality, something other than being really powerful. See when it comes to debating with Hal Jordan fans, what it always boils down to is how powerful Hal Jordan is. And i'm sorry, anyone who judges a characters worth based on their power levels is, well, i'll just say sucky. It's a pathetic way to judge whether a character is a good or bad character. It really is.  So AGAIN i will ask the question... If Hal Jordan wasn't a Green Lantern, if he didn't have those unique and cool powers that comes with being a Green Lantern... would anyone really give a crap about him? Would they still read books featuring him if he just had some generic superpower like strength or healing or flight? "

That part about the costume is not my opinion, otherwise I would've said something like "Hal's costume is so COOLZ LOLS". I meant that comic book artists have said that Hal's costume was a breakthrough in comics because it had so many modern elements that were very original, like no cape, no underpants showing, the combination of colors, etc. Wether you like it or not is irrelevant to that point, many, if not the vast majority of superheroes have weird looking outfits, but if you're trying to make a point that judging a character by his power is ermm.. sucky? Then I think it is all the more dumb to judge a character by his outfit. I mean I would get it if this was Metamorpho we were talking about, but GL? Now THAT'S a pathetic way to judge a character. "LMAO his costume is the suxs" And again, it all comes down to opinion. Some people can't stop laughing with Spidey's jokes and others think he's trying too hard and is pathetic. And of course, it all depends on whoever is currently writing him so... 
    I've already said that Emerald Twilight should've been left the way it was, but that retcon doesn't lift any weight from Hal's shoulders. In the eyes of the world and the corps, he's always gonna have to live with the fact that he became Parallax and did all those things. Then he sought redemption as the Spectre and again when he came back to life. So I don't see why his story wouldn't involve darkness and redemption. Jason Todd is alive, but Batman himself said that doesn't change anything.  
    His designs are simplistic because he was first. They had to go and give everyone else something different so they would feel unique and could stand besides Hal. And actually, I don't think a construct in the form of a giant Airforce pilot down to every detail is a simplistic design. If anything, his constructs have recently been more lifelike. Not premanufactured-looking or artistic. If his designs are not that overly done if just because that's his personality, he's an air force pilot and regular guy who clashes with authority but wants to do the right thing. Well, the character remained pretty popular amongst comic book fans, even when he was the Spectre, and he really wasn't around that much for us to see. Like I said, I can't talk for anyone else, but I'd follow Hal if he stopped being a GL and got other superpowers. Now, did anyone followed Guy when he became Warrior? And remember he was created as Hal's replacement. And then John was created to replace that replacement. And then Kyle came as the sucessor, meaning replacement. So yeah, the reason they kept trying to have a GL around is because Hal is THAT much of a big deal, he made the GL, and without him, nothing, not Guy nor John nor Kyle, and subsequently, not even the Corps would matter.  
    Oh, and as much as it pains people, Arisia was retconned to actually be around 200 or something in earth-years. You might think its cheap, but Batman doesn't have to put up with sleeping in the same bed as Dick and having some wierd interactions with him back in the old days, nor do any of the other characters that did questionable things back in the day. Comics and their characters are basically works of art and are thus subject to their times. Sherlock Holmes was an opium addict, after all, because that was alright back in his day. 
    Anyway, I respect your opinion, hopefuly you'll do the same with mine, and thanks a lot for sharing your views with us! 
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @the ace of knaves:
    Yes, yes i would give a crap
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By sexy_merc

Your Deathstroke argument was weak. Anybody going up against the pis machine is in for a world of trouble. I agree with everything you said except the low-balling for Kyle. When he saw Alexandra again when she was a Green Lantern, we see him finally deal with the loss and he tells her everything he bottled up inside of him up to that point. 

I'm not one of those people who were attacking Hal in that thread. If you read through it, I was pretty much the only person defending him. I just don't think what you said to demean the other Lanterns were necessary to get your point across.

By the way, good to see another Hal fan.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Sexy Merc: well not EVERY way but Kyle did grow into a great green lantern
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lion_Heart22
    @Sexy Merc:
    Apparently I did took on Kyle too harshly, judging by the comments... I apologize, I did clarify; and I do so again; that Kyle is my next favorite Green Lantern and I think he's a great character, one that we've all seen evolve during the years. I was pretty annoyed to see him get dominated like that by Deathstroke. I agree the man is awesome and that being beaten by him is no real shame, as you are losing to one of the best, but I just always hated HOW Kyle lost to him. We all know he could've done better and at the point I thought his character was evolved enough that those type of rookie mistakes would've been considered below him, but I guess being the newest GL is his cross to bear. There's actually no GL I dislike, I just like Hal best and it dissapoints me to see so many people think he's a bad character... Oh and I also RAGE when I have to explain someone that No, Green Lantern was not originally an african american, etc. 
    About Kyle's gf, I was annoyed that her death was overlooked for that long. I mean, Spiderman can't seem to go on for three issues without remembering Gwen Stacy, Alexandra should've been remembered like that, and it would've made Kyle a stronger character. When I heard him crack a joke about how his gf was cut up and stuck in a refrigerator on his first week on the job, it just hit the boiling point for me, although I am thankful they finally acknowledged her lately. 

And likewise! Thank you sincerely for stating your point :)
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Lion_Heart22 said:
    "@Sexy Merc: Oh and I also RAGE when I have to explain someone that No, Green Lantern was not originally an african american, etc. 

ohhhhhh i HATE dumbasses
     like that. 

you know i actually ran into this "rocket scientist" at school was running his mouth about green lantern being the only black superrhero  and wondering why lex luthor was BLACK      

i seriously had to remove myself from the room  and then i came back after i calmed 

and offered black panther as an example of a prominent black superhero 

he literally laughed his ass off and said  boy you  fulla shit   da black panther is a animal 

he said it exactly like that
    Destron81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Destron81
    @Lion_Heart22: 

What an awesome post! Totally agree. While I do like his original costume, I like his modern version better.

Hal's been one of my favorite heroes ever since I started watching the Superfriends.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Destron81 said:
    " @Lion_Heart22:   What an awesome post! Totally agree. While I do like his original costume, I like his modern version better. Hal's been one of my favorite heroes ever since I started watching the Superfriends. "

lol Apache Chief:IIIII NEEEE Chuck!!!!!
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By The Sadhu

Very well written...
    doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By doomsilver

you did not spell matter right.

but this was a very good write

(see how i put the two right there)

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Thorion88

Hal Jordan along with John Stewart are my favorite characters of the Green Lanterns.

Hal like several other characters, gets some unwarranted hate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.