Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

What's with excuses when he punched Batman?

Avatar image for firestormnuclerman
    Firestormnuclerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok he's one of the best martial artists dectives and non powered super hero in the DC Universe but that makes him far from as untouchable. I can't stand people giving excuses saying this was bad fan fiction.

Um not exactly seeing as Batman was being a @$$ throught most of the miniseries that got what he deserved.

Let me add in what Stewart said when he stood up to him was true if you are not afraid of Batman and not buying he's nothing more than man.

He had the ignorance to think he was going to contain Jordan when he has the most powerful weapon in the universe which isn't running out anytime soon.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Its not so much that, its the fact that the creator all but admitted he was a Batman hater. The whole mini was filled with Batman getting punked by damn near every GL in the Universe. It was pay back time for Batman's famous jaw jacking of Guy Gardner. If Hal took of the ring he'd get his ass whooped. 90% of all GL's are useless without their rings.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By White Phantom

I think some people just use that as reasons why we should hate Hal, he never should of been made, someone should kill him, yada yada yada.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By White Phantom

Gambler says:

"Its not so much that, its the fact that the creator all but admitted he was a Batman hater. The whole mini was filled with Batman getting punked by damn near every GL in the Universe. It was pay back time for Batman's famous jaw jacking of Guy Gardner. If Hal took of the ring he'd get his ass whooped. 90% of all GL's are useless without their rings. "

And Hal is one of the 10% that aren't useless without their Rings.

Kain Echnida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kain Echnida

Batman deserved it.

Xaon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xaon

yeah he did deserve it, and i love batman. he was being an ass, and that IS how batman would have been. It wasnt just the writer expressing hatred.

Firestormnuclerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean how Batman would have been?

Besides Stewart, Jordan, I didn't see Kilowog punking him, along with Rayner, and Gardner unless you count you see that one punch line as kind of a post mocking rubbing in Bats face before going into battle.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By White Phantom

They mean that's how he would have acted.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Resonate

Kain Echnida says:

"Batman deserved it. "
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Methos

Firestormnuclerman says:

"Ok he's one of the best martial artists dectives and non powered super hero in the DC Universe but that makes him far from as untouchable. I can't stand people giving excuses saying this was bad fan fiction.Um not exactly seeing as Batman was being a @$$ throught most of the miniseries that got what he deserved.Let me add in what Stewart said when he stood up to him was true if you are not afraid of Batman and not buying he's nothing more than man.He had the ignorance to think he was going to contain Jordan when he has the most powerful weapon in the universe which isn't running out anytime soon. "

basically, and sorry to trivialize this, but who cares?

it's Batman being punched... it's not as if it hasn't happened before, Batman isn't perfect, no matter what Batman fanboy's would like you to believe...

Batman has been sucker punched plenty of times before by people with less training than Hal, so why do people fixate on this one fight?

it's just another punch, it's not like Batman has never been hit, kicked, shot, broken or whatever before

M

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Static Shock

To sum this all up, it's really not that serious... Batman getting sucker-punched is not that big of a deal.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Bad writing.

lboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lboy
    Kain Echnida said:
    "

Batman deserved it.

"
    Right on.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By speedlgt

Ya know I always wondered why the GL ring didnt choose Batman instead of Hal.

Batman with a yellow ring could beat Hal with his ring.  I agree I dont think Hal John or Guy can hang with Bruce with out their rings.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warlock360
    Gambler said:
    "

Its not so much that, its the fact that the creator all but admitted he was a Batman hater. The whole mini was filled with Batman getting punked by damn near every GL in the Universe. It was pay back time for Batman's famous jaw jacking of Guy Gardner. If Hal took of the ring he'd get his ass whooped. 90% of all GL's are useless without their rings.

"
    have you taken a close look at kilowog O.O
    Firestormnuclerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want bad writing it's Batman defeating Circe. Correction It's atrocious writing because DC has gone overboard with Bats winning.

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bumnut
    Gambler said:
    "

Bad writing.

"

NO! Not in this case. There was nothing bad bout it and Bats, as much as I love him, had it comming to him.
    tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was this from?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Veshark

@tahmidk said:

What was this from?

Green Lantern Rebirth.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By SOG7dc

@firestormnuclerman: i think that it was bad writing. I think rebirth as a whole was excellent but that instance was bad writing. cringe worthy really. batman is a master of every martial art on the planet right? Hals got as much a chance hitting him as bats has of bruising Superman. I think its safe to assume basic boxing is one of those arts that's he's mastered. anybody who ever boxed can tell you that your main goal is to avoid getting hit. So Hal, who no doubt has some combat training from his time in the airforce, is nowhere near batmans level when it comes to h2h. if Hal can land a punch on batman, then he should be able to do the same to slade,R'as, Talia, Shiva, Cassandra, Selina etc. im not saying that Hal is useless without his ring, but against batman and without a ring he has 0 chance.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@firestormnuclerman: well as gambler said, the reason some people don't like it is because it was written by Johns and he's apparently a self proclaimed Batman hater, though I have yet to see a quote or video of him saying it. But idk, Im a Batman fan and it didn't bother me really that much. Plus I'm not convinced Johns goal is to punk Bats, he wrote Earth One Batman which is supposed to be really good.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Batman can go head to head with the best assassins in the world--blind--by predicting their moves. Yet, Hal Jordan sucker punches him... Okay, I hope the next rando car thief doesn't try that because it could spell the end for batman--the guy who has trained in every martial art and can't afford to be caught off guard in a melee by a normal dude.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Except for the aliens like Kilowog and humans like John Stewart (former marine), and Guy (he knocked out an alien with one punch no ring) they would still get beat, most human green lanterns and some alien would get the living sh** knocked out of them if they didn't have their rings on and they tried to fight Wayne.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis:

in fact now that I think of it he showed batman in the worst light possible. he was a complete failure in earth one. and now that I know the guy hates batman it makes a lot more sense

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Johns hates Batman. He doesn't get the character.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: oh idk, like I said I never read it so that could be true. But I still suspect some Johns haters could be in our midst...

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: oh, and do you have any examples as to what contributed to this complete failure in Earth one?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

Oh so what if Hal got a punch in? Good Grief I'm sure I can hit Bruce Lee if he wasn't expecting it, doesn't mean I can beat him in a fight.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis:

none of his gadgets worked. he could barely beat up Alfred. (yes I said Alfred) he barely bet the bad guy in the end. don't get me wrong I think there was a good book underneath some of the....crap (for lack of a better term). there was never a moment where you felt like batman was batman. I felt like I was watching a spoiled brat dressed up like a bat be a jerk to the only person who cares about him (Alfred). I like some of the concepts but the execution was just awful.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

So Batman can go head to head with the best assassins in the world--blind--by predicting their moves. Yet, Hal Jordan sucker punches him... Okay, I hope the next rando car thief doesn't try that because it could spell the end for batman--the guy who has trained in every martial art and can't afford to be caught off guard in a melee by a normal dude.

I'd rather be punched by Hal than Stephanie Brown....*sigh*

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@sog7dc said:

@firestormnuclerman: i think that it was bad writing. I think rebirth as a whole was excellent but that instance was bad writing. cringe worthy really. batman is a master of every martial art on the planet right? Hals got as much a chance hitting him as bats has of bruising Superman. I think its safe to assume basic boxing is one of those arts that's he's mastered. anybody who ever boxed can tell you that your main goal is to avoid getting hit. So Hal, who no doubt has some combat training from his time in the airforce, is nowhere near batmans level when it comes to h2h. if Hal can land a punch on batman, then he should be able to do the same to slade,R'as, Talia, Shiva, Cassandra, Selina etc. im not saying that Hal is useless without his ring, but against batman and without a ring he has 0 chance.

it goes without saying that Hal would lose to Bruce in a ringless fight. Even despite his JLA,JSA,GLC,and USAF training. but i wouldn't go so far as to say that Hal would be able to hit those character because they're supposed to be better fighters than Bruce (with the exception of Catwoman and Talia)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

it goes without saying that Hal would lose to Bruce in a ringless fight. Even despite his JLA,JSA,GLC,and USAF training. but i wouldn't go so far as to say that Hal would be able to hit those character because they're supposed to be better fighters than Bruce (with the exception of Catwoman and Talia)

ive seen batman spank R'as. and ive read on here about him beating the others. so that's why I wrote their names in as well

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@sog7dc said:

ive seen batman spank R'as. and ive read on here about him beating the others. so that's why I wrote their names in as well

yes but i dont see how that would extend to Hal.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

if hal can hit bruce with a sucker punch. then he should be able to do the same to those other characters (assuming theyre all on bruce's level) with relative ease. my whole point is that Hal couldn't do that. so hal shouldn't be able to hit bruce with a sucker punch either. batman reads muscle movements to see how his opponent is going to attack him. but he cant see someone with far less training getting ready to punch him? and he knocked bruce to the ground if I remember correctly. so aside from him even landing a punch that he shouldn't hve landed. he was able to knock down someone physically superior to him in every way. I think we're forgetting that bruce is peak human and hal is just in good shape

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@sog7dc:

if hal can hit bruce with a sucker punch. then he should be able to do the same to those other characters (assuming theyre all on bruce's level) with relative ease. my whole point is that Hal couldn't do that. so hal shouldn't be able to hit bruce with a sucker punch either. batman reads muscle movements to see how his opponent is going to attack him. but he cant see someone with far less training getting ready to punch him? and he knocked bruce to the ground if I remember correctly. so aside from him even landing a punch that he shouldn't hve landed. he was able to knock down someone physically superior to him in every way. I think we're forgetting that bruce is peak human and hal is just in good shape

doesn't Hal have a GL ring that grants him super strength and speed? you're saying with those, he could never possibly hit Batman?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt:

it grants him that if he wills it. in this particular situation in "Rebirth" he wasn't using any power from the ring. he just hit him straight up.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@sog7dc said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

it grants him that if he wills it. in this particular situation in "Rebirth" he wasn't using any power from the ring. he just hit him straight up.

and how do we know that for sure? i dont ever recall it specifically stated

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt:

if u notice throughout the book whenever theyre using their rings they glow. and hal just turned around and punched him.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

if u notice throughout the book whenever theyre using their rings they glow. and hal just turned around and punched him.

ahh yes. i forgot about that. i dont know, i still believe that Hal could land one on Batman if the circumstances were right. If Batman can take on white Martians hand to hand, don't see why Hal couldn't sucker punch aa peak human.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Good grief! The level of Johns/Jordan hating is virtually leaking out of my screen.

Batman has been punched by far less capable beings than Jordan. It's just a shame that some readers have a very selective memory.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Extremis

@sinestro_gl: yes yes well said. Why is it so impossible to believe that Hal could punch Bats? What, Batman can't get hit now because he would see it coming!? He's not flippin' psychic! Thats why it's called a sucker punch. Hal didnt sit there and wait for Bat's notorious "prep", he just turned and punched him. Man, now I understand why Batman fans are so hated on here.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firestormnuclerman: Geoff Johns hates Batman and rights him like a clown. Thats the only excuse there is.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@methos: that's so true I mean I can tell you I'm one of the BIGGEST batman fans out there but he gets punched all the time. I can't believe I'm saying this but batman is just a human. But a BA one. (:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.