What's so great about Hal Jordan?

#301 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: and you calling me an asshole and homophobic isn't a personal attack? Considering you know nothing about me (or homophobia for that matter). let me tell you it most certainly is. I shouldn't have to justify it to someone who throws around such accusations, yet here I am having to defend myself. Also, my remark wasn't indicative of homophobia. It was indicative of your absolute fanboyism for the character. I guess my joke has offended your sexuality, and if so I am sorry. I, myself, am actually a very accepting person so it never would cross my mind someone could be silly enough to confuse my remark for homophobia. But you like to throw around and label me with such offensive ignorance when you know nothing about me? Bad form.

It seriously gets under your skin that I don't agree with you does it? Get over it, seriously. All I tried to point out was that Hal is not a relatable character. It's my opinion. Now, please, eff off.

#302 Posted by SliverBat (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Oddly enough this thread made me like Hal a bit more.

#303 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: and you calling me an asshole and homophobic isn't a personal attack? Considering you know nothing about me (or homophobia for that matter). let me tell you it most certainly is. I shouldn't have to justify it to someone who throws around such accusations, yet here I am having to defend myself. Also, my remark wasn't indicative of homophobia. It was indicative of your absolute fanboyism for the character. I guess my joke has offended your sexuality, and if so I am sorry. I, myself, am actually a very accepting person so it never would cross my mind someone could be silly enough to confuse my remark for homophobia. But you like to throw around and label me with such offensive ignorance when you know nothing about me? Bad form.

It seriously gets under your skin that i called you an asshole because you took a debate over fictional characters and made it personal with a slur. what you may have intended it as and what it was are two different things (butt buddy,ass bandit etc) are all the same. i never clled you a homophobe but remark in itself is still one derived from homophobia.

n what you sayt I don't agree with you does it? Get over it, seriously. All I tried to point out was that Hal is not a relatable character. It's my opinion. Now, please, eff off.

i believe stated that i respect your opinion even if i dont understand it but whatever. at least you were smart enough to hide your dickery this time.

#304 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Was that your primitive attempt at communicating something? You'll need to speak in coherent sentences if you expect people understand you. Although I doubt you have any original opinion to share other than that you hate that Hal gets more respect than your avatar, the boring lantern. Yeah, yeah, we all heard John Stewart is more interesting in the cartoon. Who cares, he is boring in the comic. Get over it.

#305 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Hal was a homophobe. He's certainly a womanizer. Not a very progressive guy *cough*Silver-Age*cough*. So it's ironic you brought it up to begin with.

#306 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

@extremis: Was that your primitive attempt at communicating something? You'll need to speak in coherent sentences if you expect people understand you. Although I doubt you have any original opinion to share other than that you hate that Hal gets more respect than your avatar, the boring lantern. Yeah, yeah, we all heard John Stewart is more interesting in the cartoon. Who cares, he is boring in the comic. Get over it.

Lol where did you come from little pest? But a shoot and a miss dear friend.

I'm not even a John fanboy. I just like the cover art for GLC #22 which comes out in July. Nice try though.

#307 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Hal was a homophobe. He's certainly a womanizer. Not a very progressive guy *cough*Silver-Age*cough*. So it's ironic you brought it up to begin with.

yup. that Pieface bit was a real trip.

#308 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: yeah its so ridiculous looking back on those now

Also, at first I thought your avatar was from JLA #1 but I realize it's not. This is the one I was thinking:

#309 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Also, at first I thought your avatar was from JLA #1 but I realize it's not. This is the one I was thinking:

nope, its from issue 2 in the Martian Manhunter backup. anyway, i'm sorry for freaking out and calling you an a**hole. it was unacceptable.

#310 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

nope, its from issue 2 in the Martian Manhunter backup. anyway, i'm sorry for freaking out and calling you an a**hole. it was unacceptable.

No worries. All is forgiven here. But yeah, I'm sorry as well. I definitely made myself look like a royal a** there. I was trying to make a point and somehow misguided my passion for the topic into negative remarks towards you. Definitely uncalled for from my end.

#311 Posted by Teerack (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal is as bad at life as I am, so he's awesome.

#312 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

No worries. All is forgiven here. But yeah, I'm sorry as well. I definitely made myself look like a royal a** there. I was trying to make a point and somehow misguided my passion for the topic into negative remarks towards you. Definitely uncalled for from my end.

we've all been there. we're a passionate bunch, us comic fans. glad we can just put this behind us and learn from it.

#313 Posted by RobertoAyalaGtz (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@liberty: Sorry dude, that's like saying Bruce Wayne isn't the best Batman, or Nick Fury the best S.H.I.E.L.D. Director.

There are far more positive traits of him than negatives. He's the only one that has fun while he's out there. He`s the only one who can beat Sinestro. He has the biggest balls. He THINKS, unlike all others, who just take orders. He sacrificed himself to save the earth. You blame him for Coast City? Why not blame Superman(men)?

I'm not even going to compare him to the others, they are way below Hal. Especially Alan Scott, he's NOT EVEN a Green Lantern.

Remember this?:

He's a modern hero, he has issues like normal people, not a 60's truth, justice and the american way hero. Remember, he is a (space) cop, not a caped crusader.

No1: Hal

No2: Kyle

No3: Guy

No4: Simon

No5: John

#314 Edited by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@sinestro_gl: eh Batman's not really a dick.

Batman probably is top 3 in DC.

Two examples I could think of...gotta step out and maybe will start a thread about it haha

#315 Edited by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Oddly enough this thread made me like Hal a bit more.

That is ironic. =)

#316 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@liberty: Sorry dude, that's like saying Bruce Wayne isn't the best Batman, or Nick Fury the best S.H.I.E.L.D. Director.

Seriously? Hal wasn't even the first GL. Alan Scott was. Are we only going back to what you accept as the first or the actual first character?

#317 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread and its legendary storm of rage.

Delicious.

#318 Edited by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Delicious.

Amen. When I wrote it I had no idea. Now I just want to see how long it garners interest.

@rich711 said:

Because Alan Scott wore ballerina slipers, John Stewart is boring as hell, Guy is a douche and Kyle doesnt make a lot of sense. That leave Hal a complete bad ass compared to the rest. Deal with it and quit crying about your favorite lantern not selling half the books that Hal does.

Not sure where I was whining about my favorite lantern or selling books. I'm laying up at night wringing my hands over Hal's popularity. It is funny how just posting a question like "Why is Hal so great" in a constructive argument gets such hostile responses. I'll paraphrase Spock in the film that is out now. (Awesome BTW. I just couldn't resit referencing it) The hostility in the opposing views makes me think that you realize on some level that I am correct in my argument. If your comment was directed toward me than please disregard mine with my apologies.

#319 Edited by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt:

I know you hate this blog but the constant posting has ironically kept it fresh. If you would not be so tenacious this blog wouldn't stay fresh for days at a time. Every time someone posts you seemingly attack until you beat the last word out of them or brow beat them into submission. I'm not sure but I think you have posted on this blog more than me. =)

#320 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@liberty said:

@innervenom123 said:

Delicious.

Amen. When I wrote it I had no idea. Now I just want to see how long it garners interest.

@rich711 said:

Because Alan Scott wore ballerina slipers, John Stewart is boring as hell, Guy is a douche and Kyle doesnt make a lot of sense. That leave Hal a complete bad ass compared to the rest. Deal with it and quit crying about your favorite lantern not selling half the books that Hal does.

Not sure where I was whining about my favorite lantern or selling books. I'm laying up at night wringing my hands over Hal's popularity. It is funny how just posting a question like "Why is Hal so great" in a constructive argument gets such hostile responses. I'll paraphrase Spock in the film that is out now. (Awesome BTW. I just couldn't resiat referencing it) The hostility in the opposing views makes me think that you realize on some level that I am correct in my argument. If your comment was directed toward me than please disregard mine with my apologies.

well i cant speak for most others. i initially reacted in hostile manner because i felt that a lot of your arguments were horribly biased and flawed. Obviously i've changed my thoughts on CERTAIN points and we both agree to disagree, as for Rich well, he seems to be an extremely hostile borderline trollish person who picks fights with someone no matter what board i see him on.

#321 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12975 posts) - - Show Bio

@liberty said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

I know you hate this blog but the constant posting has ironically kept it fresh. If you would not be so tenacious this blog wouldn't stay fresh for days at a time. Every time someone posts you seemingly attack until you beat the last word out of them or brow beat them into submission. I'm not sure but I think you have posted on this blog more than me. =)

i dont hate it so much as disagree with it but i see your point. i can get a bit over the top to put it lightly. I promise to work on that.

#322 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio
#323 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal isn't so bad...i mean i like his relationship with sinestro and his friendship with GA and Flash in nu52...he always leads from the front with will.....it is a personal thing but prefer him over all other lanterns...

Having said that...i consider Kyle to be the more relatable one....John to be more level-headed and planner and guy to be the SOB we all love to hate....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.