Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5294 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

What Price Will Hal Jordan Pay For Parallax In GL #51?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Things are heating up as Blackest Night is approaching the end. In Green Lantern #50, we saw Hal Jordan felt he had no choice but to unleash the power of Parallax. Parallax isn't a force you can just turn on and off. The last time Hal was exposed to Parallax, things didn't go too well for him.  Here's the solicit information:   

The most epic battle in BLACKEST NIGHT yet comes to a shocking conclusion as Hal Jordan makes the ultimate move to take on the Black Lantern Spectre. But what price comes with the unleashing of Parallax? And what does this mean for the future of the emotional spectrum's avatars? 

Will Hal Jordan survive this battle? Unfortunately, we have an idea. We know that Blackest Night is almost over. We know that Brightest Day is just around the corner. Does that mean Hal will use Parallax and then safely lock him away once they're done? Seems like it shouldn't be that easy. I wouldn't expect Geoff Johns to make it that easy for Hal.  

No Caption Provided
    Hal has had to face lots of struggles in his 'career.' Do you think having the darkness of Parallax locked away somewhere inside him would benefit his character? When you look at the cover image to issue #53 (all information on 52 is "top secret") Hal appears to be fine, standing in front of the other colored Lanterns. But look again a little more carefully. What is that glow coming out of Hal's ring? Is that...yellow? It could be argued that it's just a really light shade of green or maybe a 'green-yellow' color (I'm immediately reminded of my old Crayola Crayons from my childhood). 

You would think that there would be a price to harnessing the power of Parallax. While it appears that everyone will be getting a happy ending (I seem to be using that phrase a lot around here lately), I can't see everything coming out perfectly dandy. 

What do you think? Will Parallax become a fixed part of Hal? Is this something he will have to struggle to contain? Will Parallax just be locked away until the next major crisis? Issue #51 is on sale this Wednesday, February 17.
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Illuminarch

If Hal can exert control over Parallax, that should mean he can bust Black Lanterns all by himself now since he can deploy both Will and Fear in combination, right? Where does that leave Sinestro? Could Hal just turn off all the Yellow rings once he's done (again assuming he can control Parallax)? 

Also, have any of the other emotion avatars (platonic ideals?) besides Parallax, Ion, and the Predator been revealed? We know Predator is loose and I think Ion is currently hostless. Perhaps all seven of them can be bound in one body.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @G-Man: No price, not with his fav fan boy writing him lol
    Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Satyrquaze
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By the_fallen11
    hmmmm this is interesting. 
    On another note.I am surprised  to see 
    Sinestro honestly I felt if anyone wasn't going to make it out of blackest night it was gonna be him.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Theodore

I'm sure he'll be fine lol. Probably become the White Lantern.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blazed

what if he becomes part of the spectrum like barry did with the speed force way back when

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dondasch

With Hal having been previously corrupted by Parallax and subsequently overcoming that, I don't think he'll be able to do the same thing.  There will be a price, certainly.  Whether it comes in the form of his will being diluted by fear, or some other manner it will be interesting.  You simply can't turn Parallax off like a switch.  Hopefully, Geoff Johns adds some real depth to this quandary and not just a happy go lucky ending to it.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#8  Edited By lostlantern13
    @Illuminarch said:
    "If Hal can exert control over Parallax, that should mean he can bust Black Lanterns all by himself now since he can deploy both Will and Fear in combination, right? Where does that leave Sinestro? Could Hal just turn off all the Yellow rings once he's done (again assuming he can control Parallax)?   Also, have any of the other emotion avatars (platonic ideals?) besides Parallax, Ion, and the Predator been revealed? We know Predator is loose and I think Ion is currently hostless. Perhaps all seven of them can be bound in one body. "

No, Sinestro controls the rings (as we saw with Mongul). It's the Sinestro Corps for a reason. 

The only other avatar that has been revealed is the orange one, but the reveal was just that it lives in Agent Orange's power battery. They really need to bring these into the fold.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By burr787

I hope that Sinestro gains Parallax in the future, that would kick so much ass.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey

Is the end of Blackest Night gonna run right into Brighest Day, because waiting a year for something that doesn't seem like it gonna be a bad for anyone is just lame.  we know the White Lanterns are coming but when does Brightest Day start??????
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By burr787
    @goldenkey said:
    " Is the end of Blackest Night gonna run right into Brighest Day, because waiting a year for something that doesn't seem like it gonna be a bad for anyone is just lame.  we know the White Lanterns are coming but when does Brightest Day start?????? "
    The month after Blackest Night.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Moomin123

Why? Why couldn't Sinestro absorb Parallax? Ah well, I just hope Hal doesn't die again, he's the best Earth Green Lantern.

mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrduckluck

I dont think thats thing coming out of hal's ring is yellow look to the sinestro's ring it's not the same kind of yellow 
    that means that is a very clear green
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By burr787
    @Moomin123 said:

" Why? Why couldn't Sinestro absorb Parallax?

If Sinestro absorbed Parallax then Parallax would only be able to shoot out yellow light. But since Hal(a green Lantern) absorbed the fear entity, he has the ability to use both yellow and green light, thus being able to take down the black lanterns.
    Bruce Wayne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce Wayne_

Batman could kick Parallax's butt.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NightFang3
    @Moomin123 said:
    "Why? Why couldn't Sinestro absorb Parallax? Ah well, I just hope Hal doesn't die again, he's the best Earth Green Lantern. "
                 I think Parallax "like's" Hal more then Sinestro.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By EdwardWindsor

iam guessing the cost is completely grey hair lol

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself

solicitations for Green Lantern #54 may answer some questions

GREEN LANTERN #54
    On sale MAY 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
    Written by GEOFF JOHNS • Art by DOUG MAHNKE & CHRISTIAN ALAMY
    Cover by SHANE DAVIS & SANDRA HOPE
    BRIGHTEST DAY shines its light on the “New Guardians” who have been forced to make Earth their new home! Why? You’ll have to read it to believe it. While Hal is forced to deal with Larfleeze and his newfound appreciation for Earth culture, Sinestro uncovers the mystery behind Parallax’s disappearance.

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Illuminarch
    @lostlantern13 said:
    No, Sinestro controls the rings (as we saw with Mongul). It's the Sinestro Corps for a reason.  The only other avatar that has been revealed is the orange one, but the reveal was just that it lives in Agent Orange's power battery. They really need to bring these into the fold. "
    I read the issue. But Sinestro is not the living embodiment of fear, just an egomaniac who decided a corps should be named after him. It seems to me that Parallax, Ion, Predator, etc... should be at least immune to their own spectrum, if not able to dampen it or absorb it completely. I don't really get how the GLs could have imprisoned Parallax and not have seriously degraded the power of the yellow rings or, you know, the presence of fear in the universe itself. Now that Parallax is on the loose, I would think that the yellow rings should be functioning at a higher level.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.