Was the Green Lantern changed in the "new 52"?

#1 Posted by CosmicGod432 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not really a DC reader but now that there is a reboot im going to start reading. But i am still confused about this whole reboot and the "new 52". Someone told me that Hal Jordan and the green lanterns were not changed in the reboot, is this true? Also since there is a reboot does it mean there was never the blackest night story arch?

#2 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

My understanding is that the GL mythos is continuing as was, but with a kind of jumping on point. So the last story arch kinda reset the GL universe in some ways, and the series is continuing from there with the leads adjusting to the new status quo. And I understand that Blackest Night is still canon. Maybe look for the reviews for the comics as they come out and see whether they're decent jumping on points?

Actually, I heard a cynic say that everything Grant Morrison's done on Batman is still canon because DC doesn't want to annoy that guy, and everything Geoff's done on GL's still canon because Goeff is one of the masterminds of this reboot and doesn't want to hurt his GL saga. It's probably really cynical though xD

#3 Posted by CosmicGod432 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

...all so confusing

#4 Posted by Underwaterlad (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@CosmicGod432: Yeah, it's pretty darn confusing. DC haven't made it too easy for new readers to jump into GL with the New 52. Still, if you really want to get into it I recommend reading Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and War of the Green Lanterns so as to avoid any (more) confusion.

#5 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro was a Green Lantern.

Hal Jordan was a Green Lantern.

They were friends, until Jordan figured out Sinestro was being tyrannical with his power.

Sinestro, now overtly evil, started his own group.

Hal Jordan killed a dude* he shouldn't have killed, got kicked out.

His ring went to Sinestro, who is now a Green Lantern.

Simplified. :-)

*Krona, a former guardian

#6 Posted by CosmicGod432 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist: Very Nice!

#7 Posted by consolemaster001 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist said:

Sinestro was a Green Lantern.

Hal Jordan was a Green Lantern.

They were friends, until Jordan figured out Sinestro was being tyrannical with his power.

Sinestro, now overtly evil, started his own group.

Hal Jordan killed a dude* he shouldn't have killed, got kicked out.

His ring went to Sinestro, who is now a Green Lantern.

Simplified. :-)

*Krona, a former guardian

The rogue guardian right ? The war of the lanterns was AWESOME !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.