Three Green Lantern Movies In Three Years

• 83 results
Posted by G-Man (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
Based on the reaction of Ryan Reynolds reciting the Green Lantern oath at Comic-Con, it's safe to say people are excited about the movie. As is the standard for most movies, it's likely that he even signed a sequel clause when he was cast as Hal Jordan. We can most likely assume the movie will do well and the chance of a sequel would be good. It turns out, there's some rumblings that filming for the second movie is planned before the first is even released. 

That we can assume is simply a rumor. According to Bleeding Cool, a chatty production staff worker was bragging about the next movie. He said Warner Bros. was so confident in the first that they already have plans to use New Orleans once again for Coast City in a sequel. Green Lantern 2 would be announced for a Summer or Christmas 2012 release, depending on when the Flash movie was released. 

There's more. Apparently if Warner Bros. sees green at the box office, they will greenlight a third Green Lantern movie set for a 2013 release. That's a lot of speculation. 
 == TEASER == 
First of all, I would say the chances of a second being planned already is not possible. Look at Superman Returns I'm sure everyone thought it was going to jump start the Superman franchise. As much as Warners wants another superhero franchise, they can't risk the chance of it failing. Another issue is where does this put Reynolds with his Deadpool commitments? Does he even have any obligation to that since they're still trying to figure out if Robert Rodriguez would direct it.  

Having three Green Lantern movies filmed back to back with a movie coming out each year would be great. I just can't see it happening.
#1 Posted by Ranzor (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be awzome but to keep that schedule they would have had to go lord of the rings mode from the start.

#2 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I like GL but screw him focus on DP

#3 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that it takes Nolan at least two-three years to make a new Batman flick, I doubt that three GL movies in three years would be very high quality...unless they were filming a lot of stuff at once like an LOTR-style production.

#4 Posted by G-Man (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187: That's what they would have to do, film them all at once. Keep filming and start the after production stuff. It could be done if they were truly committed. I just can't see it happening. Maybe they could do 2 and 3 back to back if the first was a huge success. There's still too much left to be seen. Marvel's not even trying something like this with Iron Man. I keep seeing trailers for other RDJ movies.
#5 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

i would prefer to be a 2-3 year delay between the first 2
and a Deadppol film between the 1st and 2nd

#6 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard GREEN LANTERN 2 is coming out in 2013. And the second animated movie comes out in 2011. Nothing from GL in 2012. 

And why is everyone only thinking LOTR style? What about Matrix, Harry Potter, and Saw? They crank out their movies pretty fast too.

#7 Edited by Nick-SV(ril) (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:

" I heard GREEN LANTERN 2 is coming out in 2013. And the second animated movie comes out in 2011. Nothing from GL in 2012.  And why is everyone only thinking LOTR style? What about Matrix, Harry Potter, and Saw? They crank out their movies pretty fast too. "

True. Saw gets new parts every year. And not that I'd be complaining, but I'd rather get a variety of superhero movies, than focused in one only.
#8 Posted by daken_2513 (416 posts) - - Show Bio

Every year?
#9 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to hear him recite the Oath.

#10 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: True, it's to risky to go full force into a project three installments deep that isn't tested past one of the movies. I don't see it happening from a financial stand point let alone the pace being able to keep up.
#11 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nick-SV(ril): Yeah, it's not a bad idea as long as they still try to do Deadpool, Flash, Superman, Batman, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers too. I just know it won't happen though.
#12 Posted by Skies327 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no doubts that a second movie is already planned based on hype alone for the first. The numbers for the 1st movie's release will let us know if it actually sees the light of day, but studios like to do things like this. Plus, I'm stoked if it ends up being a trilogy of sorts.

I hate to use Twilight as an example, but they were filming Eclipse as New Moon was being released, so it does happen. The production on GL2 could happen the same way. Granted Twilight is, sadly, an established franchise, but they could still do it.

#13 Posted by XFan616 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather have one Green Lantern, one Deadpool and one Flash movie than three Green Lanterns. Although I'm really looking forward to it despite my preference for Kyle Rayner.

#14 Posted by wallywest55 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree. Harry potter right now is the biggest grossing franchise out right now and they pump out a movie every year. So they could do it. Im personally waiting for the flash movie to come out. =D

#15 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like them to start early production,
because I hate waiting years and years for sequels to come out.
Plus, the longer they make it wait, the more chance that actors and actresses can't return ... scheduling conflicts and such,  that ruins continuity.

#16 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

It surely depends in part on how well the film is received by fans of the character and movie goers in general. Come what may 3 movies in 3 years seems a little ambitious!
#17 Posted by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio

I suspect that DC's movie plans depend on the success of Green Lantern my theory is that it has to be a hit for other DC movies to be made if people want to see other DC characters on film, see this movie!

#18 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

That is not happening. And if it is, only the head people would know. As for the winter release, i can check that out. My entire family works for Warner Brothers and know some people.
#19 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just focus on making the first film right.

#20 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course you would hope this is all contingent on the first film not sucking complete ass resulting in poor word-of-mouth and a declining box office. Because if it does suck ass AND they put out two more: OUCH for any future reboot/good GL film.     But as said, I don't think WB are gonna be THIS quick to count their chickens. Plus, Deadpool is the real Ryan Reynolds joint most of his fans (and comic fans) want to see. i don't think he'd block off another three years and kill the Deadpool film.

#21 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, not a big D.C. fan, so, what ever.
#22 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

I read some where after WB got that damn annoying boy wizard out of the way they were gonna focus on superheroes.
It'd kind make more sense to build a universe like Marvel is than focus on one character.

#23 Posted by CrimsonInuTears (465 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it bad I'm more excited for The Flash movie than Green Lanterns 2 an 3? ^_^'
#24 Posted by mrduckluck (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I think is better if they risk almost every first superheroe is great

#25 Posted by darkking (170 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope nonething apocryphal i will happen ?
#26 Posted by Nerdmotron (12 posts) - - Show Bio

The script for the first film took a pretty long time to finish as I recall, I can't see them having two more scripts ready in time. They should wait and see if this film is a success first before doing a sequel(s). 

#27 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Rather see Deadpool with him and Rodriguez. 

#28 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

Ryan Reynolds must be tired then cause he's been running through Green Lantern movies all day!

#29 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be an astonishing feat to do that in a period of time. They could make the movies then take a break and focus on another then back at start again.

#30 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

That's quite ambitious. But if they can pull it off as well as they did with Lord of the Rings while keeping it great, I think I'll be happy. 

#31 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Lets see this one first.

#32 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

who so negetive? im sure there will be atleast GL 2 woo can't wait to see this :D
#33 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

What would really be cool is if the other two Green Lantern films were actually the starts for two seperate Green Lantern film franchises, one featuring John Stewart & the other starring Guy Gardner. I want Gary Busey for Gardner.

#34 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
"Rather see Deadpool with him and Rodriguez.  "
#35 Posted by ImJustLikeParker (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.  I'd rather see one good Green Lantern movie, then Deadpool, then discuss possible sequels.
#36 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this Will be a Total win like the Back to the Future Trilogy... Otherwise I'm going to Join the Sinestro Corps to Boycott this.

#37 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

the more the merrier
#38 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont want them to rush it! make sure the movies are good! i'm still uber excited though!!!

#39 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1854 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies that are made one after the other don't tend to do well.
#40 Posted by brownsugar (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont knooooww.......

#41 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

that would be awesome!  three years is very little time for three movies, but if they can do it and manage to make them good, then im all for it! ill still watch even if it sucks, Ryan Reynolds is nice eye candy :)

#42 Posted by skullduggery pleasant (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Ryan Reynolds would have made a better Kyle Rayner

#43 Posted by batmanboy11 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

If the first film is good than the second 2 should be good, but if it isn't... well, I'm sure you can guess what I was going to say. They should wait to film 2 and 3 until 1 is out though, in case it bombsm so that money is not wasted. However, if the first one is good, making it a LOTR style trilogy, than that would be AWESOME.  
#44 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

who gives a !#"$ about Deadpool?!?!?!?! 

WB ain't stupid! They wont film anything until their sure the first GL flick turns a BIG FAT profit. There's no way in hell theyll anticipate this flick being a success, no matter how excited people were when Reynolds recited the oath! 

It's all about money! The WB are way too greedy to plan something like this!

#45 Posted by BenB (23 posts) - - Show Bio

While I have high hopes for this movie, they really need to hold on. Superhero movies are too hit or miss. For every X-Men 2 there is a Ghost Rider

#46 Posted by Quest (108 posts) - - Show Bio

3  movies in three years that is impossible when people plan movies for 2 years and it still gets delayed for half a year
#47 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Won't anyone think about Deadpool?

#48 Posted by Superguy1591 (3474 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a Jordan, Stewart and Gardner, and Rayner to round out the third?

#49 Edited by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds too good ta be true...but if the first is a mix of Rebirth/Secret Origin's kinda story. The second can have Sinestro's fall, and the 3rd the Sinestro Corps War. Even leaves room for a 4th w/ War of Light/Blackest Night type story. During the JLA film have the GL (prob Reynolds) make mention of Sinestro's actions in the 3rd film opening the door 4 other former foes of the GLC. 3rd movie starts mid WoL, Nekron n his friends bust on the scene. Follow what ya got. w/ a cameo or 2. Now THAT would be a kick ass franchise....2 bad it's about as likely as me flying to the next Con under my own power.  

PS. FUCK a Deadpool movie. I hate that mofo.

#50 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be really cool but it's totally not going to happen and they seem maybe a little too confident that it's going to do really well at the Box Office but yeah they are right cause it's probaly going to. I know one thing and that is I am definitely going to see it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.