Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

The Green Lantern Movie: "The Star Wars of the DC Universe"

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

No Caption Provided
    The highly anticipated Green Lantern Movie is still in production but so far it seems like this movie is set to amaze not only us comic book fans but also people who have never heard of the character.
    Ryan Reynolds talked to Parade.com to talk about his recent suspense film; Buried. While the " Trapped" genre seems to be very popular right now what peeks my interest even more is when the topic of the Green Lantern movie that came up during the interview. 

Reynolds said this on the Green Lantern movie topic:

"Fans can expect a movie that has a scope and a scale unlike anything else. I think of it as Star Wars in the DC universe. I was blown away just visiting the art department on a movie like that; they should just do a film on that. It's like a trip to an amusement park that you wished existed." 

Producer Greg Berlanti said this during an interview with Movie Web:

"The thing that gives it it's gravitas and it's weight that no other superhero film really has [...], is the space opera element and how much of it takes place in space. That's something people aren't expecting, or haven't seen in a movie like this before, and I think that Martin Campbell has executed it perfectly and Ryan Reynolds is really phenomenal in the role and I think people will really enjoy it."

No Caption Provided
    So the bar seems to be set really high for this movie to be compared with Star Wars, and be called a "space opera". What aspects of the movie would make this Star Wars-like? Y'Know besides being in space and all...

Green Lantern will be released on June 17th 2011, does this make you any more excited than you were before?
    -- Geo ( sora_thekey ), long time user, blogger, wiki editor of the Whiskey Media Sites, and an all time geek! 
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By roadbuster

Nice blog. 

What aspects of the movie would make this Star Wars-like? 

Obviously, Star Wars has all the elements of a blockbuster- scifi, action, humor, FX, etc... and I tend to suspect they mean it with respect to the FX... but I think the essential "star wars-ness" of a film is really about implying a much larger universe.  World building in glimpses not exhaustive exposition.  Now that the universe is seasoned and we're all geeks we can look back and explain all the lore behind Jabba, Boba, the many species, the workings of the Force, etc... but imagine being immersed in it at the time and all you're getting hit with is all this diversity and alien culture and weirdness where you can only focus on the fable of the select heroes.  This isn't Star Trek where, despite the alien races, everything feels known and intimate (much of the action taking place in the controlled, muted, and sterile decks and bridges)... with Star Wars, you feel like the whole world is still going on even if we weren't following the heroes' story.  You look at the worn paint and blaster marks on armor... or the tangle of wires in an unkempt cockpit and feel... "there's a story there, there was a life lived that did that..." 

That same larger-than-the-story-we're-telling quality could be found in Lord of The Rings with their intense dedication to costume, design, miniatures, etc.  Building a world for our eyes and ears is the real trick a "Star Wars like" film in my opinion.  The first Matrix had that a little bit, leaving us to fill in so many of the gaps with our own epic stories (consider the Animatrix was done with very little canonical guidance from the Wachowskis... it shows the kind of breath of imaginary fodder the core film provided). 

I'm not sure if GL as a franchise has that quality compared to films in general but it has that potential compared to most superhero films.  You can definitely produce a film which makes you feel like there's a bigger world out there, that every alien has a story, etc. beyond your typical superhero flick.

Does this [comparison to Star Wars] make you any more excited than you were before?      

Eh.  It feels like market speak and the kind of stuff every filmmaker / producer has a tendency to say.  Worse yet it is almost always a curse when people say it... typically falling well short of the comparison.  If you watch people promoting Avatar, they talk about the world building, the detail, the untold stories... and the result is something closer to a Star Wars experience.  When someone resorts to saying "Star Wars" without going to the underlying merits of their film, then I'm worried it's more buzz-word than fair measure of their work.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Mainline said:

" Nice blog."

Thank You 

"I'm not sure if GL as a franchise has that quality compared to films in general but it has that potential compared to most superhero films.  You can definitely produce a film which makes you feel like there's a bigger world out there, that every alien has a story, etc. beyond your typical superhero flick. " 

Because we haven't seen any of it i can't particularly say that is the case... you said that the Star Wars feel is "being immersed in it at the time and all you're getting hit with is all this diversity and alien culture and weirdness where you can only focus on the fable of the select heroes". For us comic book readers most of the elements in the movie will not seem new but they have never been translated into live-action which means that there's still something about it not yet seen. For everybody else it will be a whole new world in space. 

"It feels like market speak and the kind of stuff every filmmaker / producer has a tendency to say.  Worse yet it is almost always a curse when people say it... typically falling well short of the comparison."

This was said by the star of the movie so it still does sound like a an over dramatic comparison that, like you said, could end up falling short of comparison. In my personal opinion I really hope that doesn't hapen.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By roadbuster
    @sora_thekey said: 
    For us comic book readers most of the elements in the movie will not seem new but they have never been translated into live-action which means that there's still something about it not yet seen. For everybody else it will be a whole new world in space. 
     Right, that's why I mentioned Lord of The Rings and the production values behind it... because that's a work that many fans are familiar with and which had seen a few adaptations prior... but still carried that "living world" feel.  Granted, the visual gap between the written word and film is larger than comic book (and various animated and videogame renditions) to film, but it's a similar idea.  LotR readers already had expectations going in and the film topped theirs so it was well received. 

The reason I say GL has less of that "lived in" potential than films in general is because of how clean GL can be.  The uniforms, Oa, etc. can all come across more Star Fleet than Star Trek... the strong order and science emphasis without the "dead religion myth" of Star Wars makes it all more antiseptically rational rather than magical (like LotR, Harry Potter, etc).  Plus combat tends to take place in empty space without the grounding, physicality, or culture of occurring planetside.  None of these criticisms are inevitable, you can dirty up the uniforms, mention prophetic threats, or increase the physicality of combat.  I'm just saying if you pulled a GL issue off the shelf, it doesn't inherently have all of the elements which are in just about every Star Wars story (a certain grungy-ness, a mystical force with knights, and alien diversity v. clean cut science cops with alien diversity).

That said, there's real potential to make it feel richer.  The diversity of non-humanoid aliens definitely makes the universe feel bigger.  The ideas about how the different lanterns form their constructs from Rebirth is an awesome opportunity to get that "glimpse" (instead of telling us)... to have Kilowog just dump raw power, or Stewart build only precise military implements, etc... you get that "hm, I bet there's a story behind that" feeling. 

But it's a real balancing act.  If you throw all the stuff but it doesn't have enough production value to feel deep, rich, and real it will just come off as fake, rushed, and cheesy (like the masses of mutants in X-Men 3).  Warner Brothers is putting a lot of hope on GL so I don't expect them to skimp.  I'm hopeful, I want it to do well, but we haven't seen anything yet really.  I just think a GL film has to work harder at being a Star Wars type film than just showing up, that's all.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Mainline said:

"The reason I say GL has less of that "lived in" potential than films in general is because of how clean GL can be.  The uniforms, Oa, etc. can all come across more Star Fleet than Star Trek... the strong order and science emphasis without the "dead religion myth" of Star Wars makes it all more antiseptically rational rather than magical (like LotR, Harry Potter, etc)"

Good point...  but the environments won't be concealed into known sets and environments... 

But it's a real balancing act.  If you throw all the stuff but it doesn't have enough production value to feel deep, rich, and real it will just come off as fake, rushed, and cheesy (like the masses of mutants in X-Men 3).

I can't believe I'm going to say this but, as a stand alone movie X3 managed to create a story with a lot of characters that were needed, even if they weren't really parallel to the comics. In this movie if you have alien characters in the comics among the masses of GLs in Oa it would be fine because they all share similar power just different appearance. Still, I understand your point and I guess we can't really know for sure until we see more of the movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.