Pedophile???

• 115 results
#1 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so I've been hearing from everyone nowadays that Hal Jordan once slept with a 13-year-old Arisia.  IS THIS OR ISN'T THIS TRUE??!?!

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I know, he only slept with her after she aged herself to adulthood using her power ring. Someone could still argue that she was still mentally 13 but I admit I don't know many details about the story.

#3 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious:
Here's the thing, he's not technically a pedophile, but he still, in many respects, raped the girl.

Arisia was 13 and a huge crush on Hal Jordan. Hal had said multiple times that she was cute, though there's nothing to assume that was anything more than just a general compliment. However, at one point when the two were trapped together, Arisia subconsciously aged herself 4 years, making her now 17. Apparently this aged her mentally as well (even though that makes no sense). Arisia then tells Hal she wants a relationship with him, when the two are attacked. It is worth noting that the two had previously listed off romantic entanglements to which Hal listed half a dozen and Arisia listed zero.

Anyway, after the fight, Hal and Arisia have sex. This is literally about 15 minutes after her mental and physical properties have been unnaturally, and drastically, altered. Imagine if you just recovered from complete amnesia and a massive plastic surgery, only for someone you remember loving to have sex with you 15 minutes later. Now, imagine the love you felt for that person came from a 13 year old version of you. If that doesn't scream statutory rape, nothing does.

So no, he's not really a pedophile, he is however, a statutory rapist douchebag. He never once tried to convince Arisia that maybe what had happened wasn't a good thing, and the fact that he was responsible for stealing her childhood was, again, not all that bad.

He also had to repeatedly remind himself not to hit on the 16 year old Supergirl when the two were on a mission together. He's like 40, what the hell, Hal?
#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @mr.obvious: Here's the thing, he's not technically a pedophile, but he still, in many respects, raped the girl. Arisia was 13 and a huge crush on Hal Jordan. Hal had said multiple times that she was cute, though there's nothing to assume that was anything more than just a general compliment. However, at one point when the two were trapped together, Arisia subconsciously aged herself 4 years, making her now 17. Apparently this aged her mentally as well (even though that makes no sense). Arisia then tells Hal she wants a relationship with him, when the two are attacked. It is worth noting that the two had previously listed off romantic entanglements to which Hal listed half a dozen and Arisia listed zero. Anyway, after the fight, Hal and Arisia have sex. This is literally about 15 minutes after her mental and physical properties have been unnaturally, and drastically, altered. Imagine if you just recovered from complete amnesia and a massive plastic surgery, only for someone you remember loving to have sex with you 15 minutes later. Now, imagine the love you felt for that person came from a 13 year old version of you. If that doesn't scream statutory rape, nothing does.So no, he's not really a pedophile, he is however, a statutory rapist douchebag. He never once tried to convince Arisia that maybe what had happened wasn't a good thing, and the fact that he was responsible for stealing her childhood was, again, not all that bad. He also had to repeatedly remind himself not to hit on the 16 year old Supergirl when the two were on a mission together. He's like 40, what the hell, Hal? "
WTF LOL
#5 Edited by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't it turn out that on Arisia's world's standards, she was actually the equivalent of 200-something years?
Yeah...I think this particular aspect of Hal's and Arisia's character histories is better off forgotten about or completely ignored.

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Yep. The Silver Age was great, wasn't it?

NO, IT WASN'T, GEOFF! (Eye twitches)
#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  I wonder if Hal rocked out to this song after....

#8 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@~The Wanderer~ said:

" Didn't it turn out that on Arisia's world's standards, she was actually the equivalent of 200-something years?Yeah...I think this particular aspect of Hal's and Arisia's character histories is better off forgotten about or completely ignored. "

Johns retconned it so that she was actually 240, but none of that changes what her personality was like. It's like that movie Jack, Robin Williams may have looked 40, but he was still a ten year old.

Arisia may have been 240, but (because either her race matures slowly, or she was mentally disabled, which makes Hal even worse), she acted like a 13, then 17, year old.
#9 Posted by Jake Fury (18062 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @mr.obvious: Here's the thing, he's not technically a pedophile, but he still, in many respects, raped the girl. Arisia was 13 and a huge crush on Hal Jordan. Hal had said multiple times that she was cute, though there's nothing to assume that was anything more than just a general compliment. However, at one point when the two were trapped together, Arisia subconsciously aged herself 4 years, making her now 17. Apparently this aged her mentally as well (even though that makes no sense). Arisia then tells Hal she wants a relationship with him, when the two are attacked. It is worth noting that the two had previously listed off romantic entanglements to which Hal listed half a dozen and Arisia listed zero. Anyway, after the fight, Hal and Arisia have sex. This is literally about 15 minutes after her mental and physical properties have been unnaturally, and drastically, altered. Imagine if you just recovered from complete amnesia and a massive plastic surgery, only for someone you remember loving to have sex with you 15 minutes later. Now, imagine the love you felt for that person came from a 13 year old version of you. If that doesn't scream statutory rape, nothing does.So no, he's not really a pedophile, he is however, a statutory rapist douchebag. He never once tried to convince Arisia that maybe what had happened wasn't a good thing, and the fact that he was responsible for stealing her childhood was, again, not all that bad. He also had to repeatedly remind himself not to hit on the 16 year old Supergirl when the two were on a mission together. He's like 40, what the hell, Hal? "

Hal thinks to himself, "Who am I? Oliver Queen?"
#10 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  I wonder if Hal rocked out to this song after....

"
I think she may have been a racist.
DOESN'T MATTER HAD SEX
I think she may have been under age
DOESN'T MAT- wait, what? Dude, on earth, you go to prison for that sh!t. We can't do this anymore. You're off the song. SOMEONE GET ME ANDY SAMBERG!
#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut: LMFAO!!!
#12 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: LOL.
@FadeToBlackBolt:
Creepy in any event, yeah.
#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt:  I wonder if Hal rocked out to this song after....

"
I think she may have been a racist. DOESN'T MATTER HAD SEX
I think she may have been under age
DOESN'T MAT- wait, what? Dude, on earth, you go to prison for that sh!t. We can't do this anymore. You're off the song. SOMEONE GET ME ANDY SAMBERG!
"
Haha, I think your version is funnier :P
#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
Hal thinks to himself, "Who am I? Oliver Queen?" "
What'd Ollie do? (Please specifiy writer, if it's Judd Winick, I may punch something lol)
#15 Posted by Jake Fury (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:
LMAO

In the comic you mentioned about Hal & Supergirl, Hal actually thought that to himself. When they were flying thru space and Supergirl said she was cold she snuggled up against him. Hal started entertaining the possibility of him and her when he thought "Who am I? Oliver Queen?"

I'm not sure what he was referencing.

#16 Posted by Jake Fury (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

does it count when she is an alien? i mean our laws don't really apply to her....

#18 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trodorne said:
" does it count when she is an alien? i mean our laws don't really apply to her.... "
lol, I was just about to say this.   Who's to say this doesn't happen all the time in her culture, it could be the norm for all we know.
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
"

@FadeToBlackBolt:
LMAO

In the comic you mentioned about Hal & Supergirl, Hal actually thought that to himself. When they were flying thru space and Supergirl said she was cold she snuggled up against him. Hal started entertaining the possibility of him and her when he thought "Who am I? Oliver Queen?"

I'm not sure what he was referencing.

"
Oh ok, no worries :P

I thought that Ollie slept with a 17 year old or something at some point. Thanks :)
#20 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

On her world she might be considered a pedophile for sleeping with someone that much younger. Yeah it was creepy but they've at least done what they can to counter it and such.

#21 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
"

"
That was a good one.

Still, the whole aged to 17 thing ... creepy.
#22 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @~The Wanderer~ said:

" Didn't it turn out that on Arisia's world's standards, she was actually the equivalent of 200-something years?Yeah...I think this particular aspect of Hal's and Arisia's character histories is better off forgotten about or completely ignored. "

Johns retconned it so that she was actually 240, but none of that changes what her personality was like. It's like that movie Jack, Robin Williams may have look 40, but he was still a ten year old. Arisia may have been 240, but (because either her race matures slowly, or she was mentally disabled, which makes Hal even worse), she acted like a 13, then 17, year old. "

Well... Doesn't this kind of go to prove that the writer is kind of «random insult to do with low intelligence» instead of Hal being a douchebag/pedophile/rapist etc...

Because that's kind of how I see it.

#23 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
"

"
The hell?  Like Ollie porks 17 year olds?
#24 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, Hal Jordan did WHAT?!

DAMN IT!!!

#25 Posted by Jake Fury (18062 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom:
No idea. The reference went over my head.
#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24463 posts) - - Show Bio

Oddly enough he's still less of a dick than SA supes 

#27 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
"

@FadeToBlackBolt:  I wonder if Hal rocked out to this song after....

"

No my friend that was what Arisia was rocking, This is what Hal Jordan was rocking

#28 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12402 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats What Hal Loves About These Supergirls, He Gets Older And They Stay The Same Age, Yes They Do

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24463 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt: I love Dazed and Confused
#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:
From what i gather he DID,black lightnings neice in Winnicks run.
#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: From what i gather he DID,black lightnings neice in Winnicks run. "
Thunder? I don't ever remember that (although that volume was filled with sleeping around). Are you talking about Outsiders?
#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:
Winnicks green arrow.
#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @The Dark Huntress: Winnicks green arrow. "
(Eye twitches). He should never have been allowed to write that book, he destroyed it.
#34 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
(Eye twitches). He should never have been allowed to write that book, he destroyed it. "

LOL,i'm getting used to it now.It's like he can't help it.
#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
(Eye twitches). He should never have been allowed to write that book, he destroyed it. "
LOL,i'm getting used to it now.It's like he can't help it. "
The only thing I've read of Winick's that I've enjoyed was his Outsiders run. That's possibly because, outside of Dick and Jade, I didn't really like any of the characters before I started reading, meaning he couldn't ruin them lol
#36 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

Ollie and Thunder.......really.

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
The only thing I've read of Winick's that I've enjoyed was his Outsiders run. That's possibly because, outside of Dick and Jade, I didn't really like any of the characters before I started reading, meaning he couldn't ruin them lol "

That's exactly the point,new readers will actually enjoy his work cause it does have an adolescent appeal to it and he does write good action scenes along with interesting antagonists it's when he grabs hold of the already established characters and gives his own twists to them which annoys those who grew up with the particular character. 
#38 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
The only thing I've read of Winick's that I've enjoyed was his Outsiders run. That's possibly because, outside of Dick and Jade, I didn't really like any of the characters before I started reading, meaning he couldn't ruin them lol "
That's exactly the point,new readers will actually enjoy his work cause it does have an adolescent appeal to it and he does write good action scenes along with interesting antagonists it's when he grabs hold of the already established characters and gives his own twists to them which annoys those who grew up with the particular character.  "
That's a good way of putting it.
#39 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
Outsiders was one of the first two books I picked up when I started reading DC. I f*cking loved that run. 
#40 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
Outsiders was one of the first two books I picked up when I started reading DC. I f*cking loved that run.  "

Smacks myself,i confused Outsiders with Titans on that other thread.And ofcourse you loved you were a rookie then.If i read Red Hood the lost days before Hush then i would have loved it too.
#41 Posted by Zjd106 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

I think all this is just more Hal Jordan hate.  If your going to find a problem with any sort of sex that went down wrong, consider the fact that it was with an alien.  But that happens all the time and no one complains about it (i.e Clark and Lois; Kyle and Soranik).  Age is not the same for humans as it is for aliens as they grow to different intelligences, different ages, and different frickin colors.  We can easily assume that Superman has genetics far different than Lois.  Hell, Lois probably has more in common genetically with a chimp.  Therefore, if we are going to complain about anything going on in this fictional world, it is the intergalactic beastiality that is, for some reason, the norm on Earth.

#42 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

let's look at it this way, what's the age of consent on Oa?

#43 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah yeah you guys should give this Arisia thing a rest.
Oh sure, you don't care that it has been officially retconned that Arisia was hundreds of years older than Hal was when they had sex.
But nobody ever mentions Bruce and Dick sleeping in the same bed and having strange interactions way back when right? Why? Because it has been retconned.
See you don't get to pick which retcons are cannon and which are not, they all are. So about Hal and Arisia, who knows? It may turn out that people in her planet would prosecute her as a pedophile for being with someone that much younger, or it may just be what's normal on her planet or across the galaxy. Otherwise, you really if it was perceived as wrong by galactic law, that no other Green Lantern would have just told the Guardians about it?
#44 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan sucks.

#45 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lion_Heart22 said: 

.But nobody ever mentions Bruce and Dick sleeping in the same bed and having strange interactions way back when right?  "

wait....WHAT?
#46 Posted by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zjd106 said:
" I think all this is just more Hal Jordan hate.  If your going to find a problem with any sort of sex that went down wrong, consider the fact that it was with an alien.  But that happens all the time and no one complains about it (i.e Clark and Lois; Kyle and Soranik).  Age is not the same for humans as it is for aliens as they grow to different intelligences, different ages, and different frickin colors.  We can easily assume that Superman has genetics far different than Lois.  Hell, Lois probably has more in common genetically with a chimp.  Therefore, if we are going to complain about anything going on in this fictional world, it is the intergalactic beastiality that is, for some reason, the norm on Earth. "
I agree
#47 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Its not rape if you like it.

#48 Posted by PowerHerc (80707 posts) - - Show Bio
@~The Wanderer~ said:
"

Didn't it turn out that on Arisia's world's standards, she was actually the equivalent of 200-something years?Yeah...I think this particular aspect of Hal's and Arisia's character histories is better off forgotten about or completely ignored.

"

This.  Exactly.
#49 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

wtf, when did this happen?

and i'd say he's more in his 30s

#50 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
@~The Wanderer~ said:
I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.