Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Is Hal the best Green Lantern?

• 51 results
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided

I have debated a few people here recently about the overall merits of Hal as a Green Lantern.  Some feel as though he is not such a great example of a hero seeing as he has disappeared at some important times and at others times turned downright villainous.  I personally do not really see it like this, in my mind Hal is the best of all, even though he is not my favourite.  I think the first thing to consider is what could be called the James Bond rule.  A lot of James Bond fans have their favourite for one reason or another.  I have even heard of people saying Timothy Dalton was the best.  In all considerations though the role would not be popular or potentially even exist without Sean Connery having defined the role.  The same here applies to Hal.  While others may have gotten a better treatment as of late, he is the only reason why there are Green Lanterns to start with.  It is no secret that Soranik is my favourite Green Lantern, but she would not exist except for Hal being so popular.  In considering this it is important not to forget Alan Scott, but in terms of the characters, he stands somewhat alone in terms of the mythos of the character.  The golden age favoured mystical elements and the silver age favoured science fiction ones, and there is therefore somewhat of a clean break between the characters (for instance there would be no Kyle Rayner with only an Alan Scott).  The next consideration should go to what I call The George Lucas rule, that being that no matter how much you alter the perception of your artistic achievements, that your original story still stands.  Many didn’t like the prequel trilogy of Star Wars, and while there is some legitimate reason not to, taken as they are it does not really ruin what made them great in the first place.  So although Hal did fall from grace, he still had someplace to fall from.  A final consideration could be called the Kanigher rule, for Robert Kanigher who seemingly did everything he could to make Wonder Woman so unpopular in the 1950s and 1960s.  Every character, especially ones with such long publication histories go through periods both good and bad.  While Emerald Twilight in some ways fundamentally altered his history, his actions later in the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night mostly redeemed him.  In terms of a character being published in comics and as a hero featured in stories within them, I therefore don’t see how Hal can be considered anything but the best Green Lantern. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe
    technically he's the reason we have Green Lanterns
    technically he's the reason we have Green Lanterns
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

in case you don't know that's the Original Green Lantern Alan Scott

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I think Hal is a good GL, but he's only second best, imo. Kyle Rayner has done more good for the GL Corps than Hal has. I realize that you've brought up the events of Emerald Twilight and how the SCW and Blackest Night redeemed him, but no matter what events followed after that, you can't deny that Hal played a key role in destroying things as Paralax.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @joshmightbe 

Ok yes I think I have actually heard of him before.  That statement is analogous to saying  Jim Hammond and not Johnny Storm is the one that made the Human Torch so popular.  
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

@RazzaTazz: you didn't say who made them popular you said that he was the reason they exist which he isn't

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @joshmightbe: All right, I changed my text to reflect that.  
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Interesting part you mention of James Bond here because it totally applies to Hal and addressing his worthiness as a GL. Personally for me Timothy Dalton was two things to me when he played 007. He wasn't exactly the most charismatic and good looking to play the part, for if we were looking at those kinds of particulars then the trophy would go to ones like Roger Moore or Daniel Craig hands down. But what Timothy Dalton DID do for the role was play Bond in the most accurate way according to Ian Fleming's novels. And when taking this into consideration, it would be my undertaking to say that Sinestro was the greatest Green lantern of all time considering how alike the two of them are with regard to Machiavellian principles. Dalton's 007 and Sinestro were both no-nonsense hardhitters that just got the job done. But yes in the end their greatness only came about because ones like Hal Jordan and Sean Connery made their rise to stardom possible. Good stuff!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By fodigg

"Best" depends on writer preference, but my favorite is John Stewart.

illmatic06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By illmatic06

Very well written. I'm new to the GL Mythos, but I am heavily leaning to Hal as my favorite.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @illmatic06: Oh well  would recommend reading both series that just ended recently.  Lots of really good stories in there.  
    illmatic06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By illmatic06

Ive been on board since the War of the light and Blackest Night.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @illmatic06: My favourite of the past ten years was RingQuest
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Hal is my favorite Lantern.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

I like him.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheGoldenOne:  
    @Daveyo520:  

Fair enough but it is kind of beside the point.  My favourite is Soranik, but Hal laid the groundwork in the making the sci fi version of a Green Lantern popular before the others could come along.  
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Guy is the best. Deal with it.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Mr. Dead Pool: Maybe not a strange sentiment coming from someone that is a Deadpool fan as the two characters are not all that dissimilar.  To put this in a different way Hal is the baseline by which all Green Lanterns are measured.  If you like a Green Lantern, chances are you will reference him or her being better than Hal as opposed to any other characters
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chaos Prime

Got alot of time for Hal but for me its Kyle Rayner all the way :-)

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Primmaster64

Kyle is cool, But so is Hal.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Chaos Prime: Well I like Kyle more as well personally, just I would say that Hal is best.  
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

Hal is the best Green Lantern.

Always will be.

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By batflasharrow96

It's incredibly annoying when people all over this website saying that Hal sucks and Kyle's the best by saying "Hal makes boxing gloves. That's boooring.". They hardly ever give any valid points. They start getting confused with what makes a good GL with what makes a good hero.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By HalJordan888

Hal is my favorite and I think he is one of the best. I could say because he's my favorite that's why he is the best but I absolutely love what you wrote about why he is the best. Still I think he is one of the best, because honestly Hal, Kyle, Sinestro, Kilowog, Mogo, Stel and others are the best for the different things that they did and still doing. I hated when people called Hal the greatest in the comics; it felt jarring as I am reading since 2005 here. Hal to me just doesn't seem like someone who would really acknowledge himself as the greatest, I mean he is one who enjoys the ring and knows how to be serious when he needs to be. He is one of the best honestly but there is not just one best Green Lantern.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

John is my personal favourite mostly due to the JL show but I've grown to respect him even more once I started picking GL comics up.

Hal is the greatest Green Lantern, although Kyle comes extremely close, he still lags behind.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@batflasharrow96 said:

It's incredibly annoying when people all over this website saying that Hal sucks and Kyle's the best by saying "Hal makes boxing gloves. That's boooring.". They hardly ever give any valid points. They start getting confused with what makes a good GL with what makes a good hero.

I know, right? Don't you hate that they overlook sleeping with a 13 year old and destroying your friends and fellow Corps members as being really heroic!?

Hal's a terrible Green Lantern. He's either an arrogant jag, or a personality-less Gary Stu. Then there's the fact that he guy killed the Corps.  

"Oh, that was Parallax" 

No, it was Hal. It was written to be Hal. It made sense as Hal. 

Kyle is the best. He carried the Torch, he saved the Corps, he was responsible for bringing new Guardians to the GLC. Kyle is Green Lantern. No amount of Silver Age nostalgia, misguided objectiveness or writer fanwank will change that.  

Kyle Rayner
    Kyle Rayner
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes! Clearly, he is.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By MetropolisKid41

I think Hal is the best of the earth Green Lanterns for sure. He has overcome the influence of the GLC's greatest enemy, Parallax, the embodiment of Fear. And I think he definitely has the most willpower of any GLC member ever, that was evident when his will overcame the failsafe protcols in the ring and he was able to kill Krona the Mad Guardian. However in the first 3 issues so far we've seen Sinestro make Hal look like a rookie, my bet is that Sinestro's time as the host for the White Lantern entity opened his eyes and unblocked the true power of the ring to him. So in the past 3 issues one could make a good case that Sinestro may be the best Green Lantern of all time. But I think as far as earthman Green Lantern's go, Hal just edges out Kyle as the best, even tho Kyle was the torchbearer and ION.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fury714

Hal is great, but not the best for me.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By HolySerpent

Hal is the best. Comicviners need to accept that. So what if kyle has the best artistry or imagination. Doesn't make you the best.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Kyle is my favorite, but i will admit Hal IS the best GL

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Hal isn't the best Green Lantern. He should have been. But he isn't. Because DC didn't give a sh$t enough about him to try to devlop him in any way. Whereas Barry Allen got a respectable death that made him look like a hero,Hal got turned into a statutory rapist/mass murderer/traitor.........and that's during the times where DC actually focused on him enough to wire about him. Why the hell couldn't DC give him what Marvel gave to guys like Daredevil and Hank Pym?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Nerx

Didn't he like went omnicidal as Parallax ION and destroyed the DCU at some point?

and they forgive him for that

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheCrowbar

@HolySerpent said:

Hal is the best. Comicviners need to accept that. So what if kyle has the best artistry or imagination. Doesn't make you the best.

Sorry who resurrected the entire corps back from oblivion?

Oh that's right Kyle.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: Not saying Kyle is not important, just Hal was the only earth based GL for 20 years or so
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@batflasharrow96 said:

I know, right? Don't you hate that they overlook sleeping with a 13 year old and destroying your friends and fellow Corps members as being really heroic!?

Hal's a terrible Green Lantern. He's either an arrogant jag, or a personality-less Gary Stu. Then there's the fact that he guy killed the Corps.

"Oh, that was Parallax"

No, it was Hal. It was written to be Hal. It made sense as Hal.

Kyle is the best. He carried the Torch, he saved the Corps, he was responsible for bringing new Guardians to the GLC. Kyle is Green Lantern. No amount of Silver Age nostalgia, misguided objectiveness or writer fanwank will change that.

Kyle Rayner
    Kyle Rayner

I concur.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar: Not saying Kyle is not important, just Hal was the only earth based GL for 20 years or so

Time doesn't make you the best, what you do in the time you have does. Kyle beats out Hal.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Billy Batson
    No Caption Provided

BB

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By jrock85

It seems like these days, all Lanterns are being debased in favor of Sinestro. (Looking at you, Geoff Johns)

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Loki9876

Hal is a cool character. He might had a bad time but most characters once had a bad time.

but Kyle is also cool.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By thechessclub

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I know, right? Don't you hate that they overlook sleeping with a 13 year old

Um. What? When all did this happen?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@thechessclub. Arisia. Some fu&$wit writer that it would be a good idea for her and Hal to have sex

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RyuHayabusa

He never was and he never will be.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ReVamp

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I know this is old, but I'm sorry that was just DC's attempt to make Hal popular again. Its more of an editorial stupidity than anything else.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Revamp

somehow I truly doubt he cares

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Primmaster64 said:

Kyle is cool, But so is Hal.
    hcd43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hcd43

Well I don't know.Sinestro was the best Green Lantern ever,but when he ''left'' ,I guess it is Kyle or Hal.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#47  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Before Hal. Sinestro
    After Sinestro left: Hal
    After Hal left: Sinestro
    Overall Hal or Sinestro. They seem to tie in my book for different reasons.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#48  Edited By BlueLantern1995
    @hcd43: Welcome to the Forums.
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sethysquare

I would say Hal is my favourite Green Lantern.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jobbernos

@Chaos Prime said:

Got alot of time for Hal but for me its Kyle Rayner all the way :-)
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.