Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5294 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Hal replacing Kyle

Nessima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nessima

Am i the only one who feels that ever since Hals returned he basicly replaced Kyle and turned him into a joke, i think Kyle is awesome i know he might not be as powerful but hes alot more stable than Hal. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

He's much more powerful than Hal, but Kyle at least has his own book (sort of) with GLC.

Barry shoving Wally out of the way on the other hand...

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thegreatfour

As FadeToBlackBolt has stated. Hal is Pedo-Bear in a cleverly designed costume to hide his true intent... Okay those weren't his exact words.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @thegreatfour said:
    " As FadeToBlackBolt has stated. Hal is Pedo-Bear in a cleverly designed costume to hide his true intent... Okay those weren't his exact words. "
    Holy ****, dude... You read my mind O_O
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @thegreatfour said:
    " As FadeToBlackBolt has stated. Hal is Pedo-Bear in a cleverly designed costume to hide his true intent... Okay those weren't his exact words. "
    Holy ****, dude... You read my mind O_O "

What are you guys talking about?

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

"Barry shoving Wally out of the way on the other hand... "

I dropped the flash series as soon as Wally disappeared. That was crap and still pisses me off. I like Jesse Quick but once Wally was dropped he should have been added to the JLA
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: That still pisses me off and not just cause Wally was the best Flash but also because Barry had an iconic and heroic death and John's ruined it because like Joe Q he wants everything to be like it was when he was a kid, though John's was less of a dick about it 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: That still pisses me off and not just cause Wally was the best Flash but also because Barry had an iconic and heroic death and John's ruined it because like Joe Q he wants everything to be like it was when he was a kid, though John's was less of a dick about it  "
    Exactly this. He can't accept change. Everything has to be the way it was in the Silver Age. Retconning Aquaman's origin (again) and his powers back to their Silver Age versions for no reason is proof of that.

@DEGRAAF said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @thegreatfour said:
    Holy ****, dude... You read my mind O_O "

What are you guys talking about?

Hal slept with a 13 year old Arisia. This was later retconned so that people of Arisia's race just age much slower than humans (effectively Johns making Hal no longer a pedophile).

But here's the problem, when Hal slept with Arisia she was a 13 year old who was infatuated with him. In order to draw his attention, she used the ring to alter body to that of a 17 year old (still illegal), after which he promptly slept with her.
    Now, whether or not Arisia is actually 200 (as Johns wants us to think) is irrelevant because she had the mindset of a 13 year old. She then, in order to impress a much older man, effectively got massive amounts of unnatural cosmetic surgery, and at no point did Hal object to this. He was just like; yeh, ok, sweet.

@DEGRAAF said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I dropped the flash series as soon as Wally disappeared. That was crap and still pisses me off. I like Jesse Quick but once Wally was dropped he should have been added to the JLA "

Yep, I did the same thing. I liked Barry pre-Rebirth, since then he's just a Mary Sue.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @DEGRAAF:
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Yeah, that's who Hal slept with. Creepy ***hole.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "Exactly this. He can't accept change. Everything has to be the way it was in the Silver Age. Retconning Aquaman's origin (again) and his powers back to their Silver Age versions for no reason is proof of that.

Hal slept with a 13 year old Arisia. This was later retconned so that people of Arisia's race just age much slower than humans (effectively Johns making Hal no longer a pedophile). But here's the problem, when Hal slept with Arisia she was a 13 year old who was infatuated with him. In order to draw his attention, she used the ring to alter body to that of a 17 year old (still illegal), after which he promptly slept with her. Now, whether or not Arisia is actually 200 (as Johns wants us to think) is irrelevant because she had the mindset of a 13 year old. She then, in order to impress a much older man, effectively got massive amounts of unnatural cosmetic surgery, and at no point did Hal object to this. He was just like; yeh, ok, sweet.

Yea that is wrong if it didnt actually age her (rather just her body) and im not supporting it but in Missouri they consider 17 legal to have an initmate relationship with someone older

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

"Yep, I did the same thing. I liked Barry pre-Rebirth, since then he's just a Mary Sue. "

Yea same here. I think Johns puts out a good story but he needs to let characters, and things change, evolve and let the past go
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think John's had a good idea bringing Barry back at the end of Final Crisis and had good set-up for a killer Flash: Rebirth storyline but he didn't push it far enough. You had to bring Barry back in order to free Iris of the Anti-Life Equation (Wally wasn't going to kiss his aunt) and set-up the final battle between Barry and Eobard (Professor Zoom). But instead of just another story of the Flash family beating the bad guy, the story ends with Barry realizing that the only way to truly stop Eobard is to become one with the Speed Force again (since it was stated he (Barry) himself generates it). But, this would mean completely losing himself. How to fix that? Iris goes with him into the Speed Force as his anchor/lightning rod/grounding point. This allows Barry to acknowledge that Wally and the rest have grown in his absence and that Barry's left behind a powerful legacy and from then on out the he could appear/speak to speedsters through the Speed Force during extreme situations. This would have allowed Barry to maintain that morally right aspect of his character while not actually taking Wally's place.

Plus, how is it that Iris got younger between the time of Final Crisis, Flash: Rebirth and the new Flash series? Barry too for that matter? They were clearly older in FC and F:R but since the new series began they are younger.

As for the topic of this thread, I wouldn't only say Hal replaced Kyle, but that every Earth GL has been put in-front of Kyle. Both Stewart and Guy have been getting alot more attention than the guy that single handidly kept the Corps alive and restarted it. I think this is one of the underlying issues to the War of the Green Lanterns series. We've already seen Kyle's thoughts and feelings about Stewart and I'll think we'll be seeing more of that when Guy faces Hal and then all four of them are together.

But I wouldn't say Hal has replaced Kyle in the sense of Corps duty. Yes Hal is the lead for the Green Lantern title, but there's also been a good point to that. Everything going on right now has some connection to Hal. Kyle has no connection to Blackest Night or Brightest Day because he hasn't died or been possessed by Parallax (yes he housed Ion but even Sodam Yat is getting more attention for that than him).....and while Hal's been doing all this stuff away from the Corps there's been Kyle to keep it together, train new guys and complete his duties as an Honor Guard. Again I think this is something that we'll see in War of the Green Lanterns. The difference between Hal's reckless solo attitude and Kyle's consistent duty and record with the Corps.

Honestly at this point of WotGL, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hal that stops being a member of the Corps because the other three are definitely more devoted to what the Corps stands for than Hal is.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

kyle being replaced by hal is no more of a buttfuck to kyle fans then hal being turned evil and getting replaced by some random kid was a buttfuck to hal fans.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    "kyle being replaced by hal is no more of a buttfuck to kyle fans then hal being turned evil and getting replaced by some random kid was a buttfuck to hal fans. "

This is kinda ironic and poetic.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By daredevil21134

Same goes for Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Lion_Heart22

Why are you all complaining? Kyle is a member of the honor guard at the GLC, he actually got promoted.

And I'm sorry, but your hate rants come off as nothing but hypocritic. First of all, the thing with Arisia has been retconned, sorry to burst your bubble. But since you're so adamant about ignoring that little fact, then you should also plague the Bruce Wayne forums, calling him a pedophile for sleeping in the same bed with Dick doing God knows what and for his inappropiate behaviour way back when,  and accussing him of sending children and teens into the field of battle, which has twice now resulted in their deaths (they both came back, but since you're ignoring retcons and recent developments..)
    Until you plague Batman's forums with the same insane resolve with which you've plagued Hal Jordan's, then you can be thought of as nothing but a troll, or a hater at best, none of which are even worth listening to.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By tensor

i think dc should have made hal an barry be in the jla an let kyle an wally run the series right now this current jla roster is crap an they have enough characters to spread around don't down play them use them up even start a new team or something

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By jointron33

@joshmightbe:

ya know, i'm sorry, but i've heard enough of this crap. u complain that "he just wants his characters', but honestly, isnt that all you want too?

wally west had 20 DAMN YEARS as flash. most legacy characters dont LIVE that long

kyle was the result of an idiotic event trying to replicate death of supermna/knightfall, also damning the gl mythos for 10 years and not even being in space. instead, we got an "hip, cool, and relatable everyman. and he was like, half-latino, so he's ethnic, unlike whit-bread silverage hal"...ugh............

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
    @jointron33: Barry Allen is also a Legacy character, Same with Hal Jordan
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @jointron33 said:
    "

@joshmightbe:

ya know, i'm sorry, but i've heard enough of this crap. u complain that "he just wants his characters', but honestly, isnt that all you want too?

wally west had 20 DAMN YEARS as flash. most legacy characters dont LIVE that long

kyle was the result of an idiotic event trying to replicate death of supermna/knightfall, also damning the gl mythos for 10 years and not even being in space. instead, we got an "hip, cool, and relatable everyman. and he was like, half-latino, so he's ethnic, unlike whit-bread silverage hal"...ugh............

"
    We want characters. Not Mary Sues in glorified fanfiction.

Wally West had 20 damn years as the Flash, of which only about 3 are collected in trade. In that time, he proved himself a better character, and Flash than Barry. But no, let's go backwards because what the industry needs is less interesting ideas and more bull****. That'll keep fans reading.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

" kyle being replaced by hal is no more of a buttfuck to kyle fans then hal being turned evil and getting replaced by some random kid was a buttfuck to hal fans. "

If the Hal fans wanted him to be the GL so desperately, maybe they'd have bought the damn book and DC wouldn't have had to kill him for people to care about GL again.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

your absolutey righ but

y'know what they say

ya dont know what ya got till its gone    

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: True. I understand what you're saying with the way that Hal was so unceremoniously kicked out of the DCU, but I actually much preferred Hal when he was doing the Parallax thing. He was showing genuine personality. It was a reasonable reaction to the trauma he'd endured. I thought that his subsequent sacrifice in Final Night and bonding to the Spectre were all more than satisfactory ways of redeeming him, even if he could never forgive himself.

Then Geoff just decided that none of it was his fault and he's totally fine with it all. Weak.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i can definitly understand that. its a bitch when a selfish writer erases a immensly good story for some bull.    
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By velle37
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    "kyle being replaced by hal is no more of a buttfuck to kyle fans then hal being turned evil and getting replaced by some random kid was a buttfuck to hal fans. "
    This is kinda ironic and poetic. "

Lmao

Such eloquence.....

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By The Sadhu
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

Don't get me started on that!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.