Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5294 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Hal Jordan should be the GL in the Justice League movie

• 87 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sethysquare

I say so because

Hal Jordan is a goldmine. After his return, GL has thrived in the franchise.

Hal Jordan has been in the lead role in all the animated movies since his return which includes

Justice League New Frontier

Green Lantern First Flight

Justice League Crisis on Two Earth

Green Lantern Emerald Knights

Justice League Doom

Green Lantern The Animated Series

Hal's return have revived the line so much that he led into 4 events in DCU, 2 of which are line wide events (Blackest Night and Brightest Day) and Blackest Night stayed on the new york best sellers for months.

He also starred in a live action movie, which although underperformed, but still made 200 million which means it had reached to a pretty wide audience.

There is no way in hell WB would substitute Hal with any of the other Green Lanterns. Because he has had the most mainstream appearances and the franchise thrived after his return.

After the formation of DC entertainment, Diane Nelson pulled back all the other movie projects to really concentrate on hitting the mark. They did well with new 52 and have tried to build up the Justice League brand by making Batman Lego DC Superheroes,

Batman Lego 2 DC Superheroes
    Batman Lego 2 DC Superheroes

Injustice which would likely feature Hal as GL.

Also all the Justice league animated movies appearance of Hal Jordan has been around to build up his presence in the mainstream audience's mind.

So I believe he would be the best candidate for the Justice League movie since he has already the largest fan base.

Additionally: If the Justice League is to include Green Lantern in a DC cinematic universe, then its important that Carol Ferris plays a big part since she would be the leader of Star Saphire and Sinestro is Hal's arch nemesis. I just don't see how any other earth GL could take the lead role of GL if Carol Ferris is involve unless they stray so much away from the comics. All these characters, Abin Sur, Sinestro, Carol Ferris are so much attached to Hal, that if they were to remove Hal Jordan and replace another GL with Hal it would pretty much be replacing him in name but have all of Hal Jordan's stories. Similar to what Superman the animated series did when they included Kyle Rayner as the GL but have Abin Sur give him the ring.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheThe

No, John Stewart should be.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman
    @sethysquare: I agree that it should be him but I doubt they will go with him.
    XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XLR87T3

Sounds reasonable. I agree with you, though John Stewart is my favorite. I've lost respect for Kilowog after that piece of crap Green Lantern-Animated Series (yes, I watch that show).

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Hunter114

I can see both arguments with this...

Hal Jordan should be the GL because he was the first human Green Lantern (you know what I mean) and it, therefore should progress in a linear fashion so that the comic timeline is intact. We've already seen Hal Jordan being practically forgotten in the DCAU, with Kyle Rayner being given the spot in Superman: TAS and John Stewart in the Justice League cartoon... Jordan had one small cameo and to be honest, I thought he deserved better.

John Stewart, on the other hand, should be the GL because he is a popular character and a lot of people know him from the JL cartoon (some erroneously believing him to be the first GL) plus he's the easiest shoe-in for the token black character that is lacking (and some would argue much needed) in superhero movies.

While I agree with the merits of both arguments, and like both characters for different reasons... I personally believe that the integrity of the timeline is more important than having a black character for the sake of it... but I think that Stewart should be in the movie at some point and have a "strong cameo scene" and maybe bring him into other GL movies as a GL, but I think that Hal should be the primary on this... and Guy Gardner should just be forgotten completely.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Finally, we agree on something

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sethysquare

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Do we disagree alot? I don't seem to recall

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sethysquare

@Dernman: Why do you doubt that?

Nox_Arc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nox_Arc

I have no problem with that, although I would like to see John Stewart.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AweSam

No one else but Hal should get that spot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, yes he should, he's the first(Not counting Alan of course), and like him or not, he deserves to have the spot..that and I personally don't get why people want John, he's cool in the animated JL but in comics..he's kinda boring.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnightRise

@sethysquare: Im sorry but what do you mean "all the Justice cartoon appearance of Hal Jordan has been around to build up his presence in the mainstream audience's mind." ? Like literally i dont understand the phrasing.

I honestly doubt non-comic fans really watch the DCOA movies when compared to comic fans. Contrastly, I think more people recognized Green Lantern by John Stewart from JLU. A Justice League movie should definitely feature and make the point that Hal Jordan was the first Human, and the greatest, but I think Stewart will get a better response, considering the GL film flop with Ryan "Chest shot" Reynolds. It really depends on who would be more likely to see the film, comic fans who want the entire history represented, or the more casual watcher who would vaguely remember and refer to Green Lantern as "that black guy with the ring" from a childhood show. Id be happy with the first Lanterns making an appearence i some sort.

Plus theyd be adding a non-white superhero, which is good moksha.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CODYSF

@TheThe said:

No it will always be Hal Jordan I like John Stewart but when it come to the dam big screen it will always be Hal.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By SoA

isamot kol

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sethysquare

@KnightRise said:

@sethysquare: Im sorry but what do you mean "all the Justice cartoon appearance of Hal Jordan has been around to build up his presence in the mainstream audience's mind." ? Like literally i dont understand the phrasing.

I honestly doubt non-comic fans really watch the DCOA movies when compared to comic fans. Contrastly, I think more people recognized Green Lantern by John Stewart from JLU. A Justice League movie should definitely feature and make the point that Hal Jordan was the first Human, and the greatest, but I think Stewart will get a better response, considering the GL film flop with Ryan "Chest shot" Reynolds. It really depends on who would be more likely to see the film, comic fans who want the entire history represented, or the more casual watcher who would vaguely remember and refer to Green Lantern as "that black guy with the ring" from a childhood show. Id be happy with the first Lanterns making an appearence i some sort.

Plus theyd be adding a non-white superhero, which is good moksha.

What I meant was ever since rebirth. I mentioned earlier up there.

Additionally he was also on

Batman Brave and the Bold
    Batman Brave and the Bold
    The Batman (TV Series) 2004-2008
    The Batman (TV Series) 2004-2008
    DC VS MORTAL KOMBAT
    DC VS MORTAL KOMBAT
    DC Universe Online DLC Fight for the Light
    DC Universe Online DLC Fight for the Light
    Robot Chicken
    Robot Chicken
    Green Lantern Rise of the Manhunters
    Green Lantern Rise of the Manhunters
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar

I can't wait for Geoff Johns to let go of GL

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#17  Edited By TronHammer

Only Hal Jordan.

Otherwise I won't waste my time.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sethysquare

@HammerTron said:

Only Hal Jordan.

Otherwise I won't waste my time.

This.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sethysquare

He is just way too cool to not include him in the Justice League movie.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheThe

For me, it's John Stewart or Kyle Rayner. I dont read/watch Hal Jordan no more, too much "twinky" and boring to me. He's like the Scott Summers of Green Lantern Corps. Geoff Johns wants obviously to marry Hal Jordan, so his writing is about PIS after PIS. It's annoying. I dont, but really dont like Hal Jordan at all.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By HalJordan888

Your reasoning makes total sense and should definitely be the Green Lantern in the movie.

Also everything big in the GL-verse and the other GLs are all connected and come from Hal Jordan.

You can't do John without explaining Hal, You can't do Guy without Hal, and You can't do Kyle without Hal. Only Alan can be done without him.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sethysquare

@TheThe: Uh... Kyle Rayner is the twinky one. Do you even read GL?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sethysquare

@HalJordan888: Exactly. Unless WB wants to change all the supporting characters, like Carol, Sinestro, Abin Sur and etc, they would most 100% go with Hal. Currently, none of the other earth GL even have good supporting characters other than the other lanterns from GLC.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheThe

@sethysquare said:

I read GL. Of course only The New Guardians with Kyle and the others lanterns + The Green Lanterns Corps with Guy "Ginger" Gardner and John Stewart. Kyle is not "twinky" to me. He's a little sensitive but apart from that is an handsome and well-educated one. Physically, he's got Gambit charming style. Anyway, to each is opinion. I've read pretty much everything about the corp, but i gave up on Hal Jordan stories, i just dont like him at all. Everything seems so fake about him, it's just wrong that he is the so-called "greatest lantern of all time". Anyway, hating on Hal or lovin Stewart & Rayner aint the subject of the thread.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

@TheThe said:

@sethysquare said:

I read GL. Of course only The New Guardians with Kyle and the others lanterns + The Green Lanterns Corps with Guy "Ginger" Gardner and John Stewart. Kyle is not "twinky" to me. He's a little sensitive but apart from that is an handsome and well-educated one. Physically, he's got Gambit charming style. Anyway, to each is opinion. I've read pretty much everything about the corp, but i gave up on Hal Jordan stories, i just dont like him at all. Everything seems so fake about him, it's just wrong that he is the so-called "greatest lantern of all time". Anyway, hating on Hal or lovin Stewart & Rayner aint the subject of the thread.

I'm not sure I understand. Because I've read lots of GL. And last I know, Kyle is the most sensitive, most emotional and the "twinkiest" of all the lantern.

Guy is an idiot.

John is serious.

Hal is brash.

If anyone is the most in touch with their feminine side, its Kyle Rayner. Constantly being reminded of his relationships, Jade, Soranik Natu and the one that died in the fridge.

Sure you can choose not to like Hal, but theres no denying that Kyle is the most "emo" one. But thats his charm. Every lantern has his own charm. I love Guy exactly because how idiotic he is and thats what I love about it. Same reason for Hal and Kyle. Except John, whom I find his personality very flat. Which is why I'm extremely against putting John on the big screen because I dont see how he can contribute. One reason why I would rather have Cyborg at the 7th member.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HalJordan888

@sethysquare said:

@HalJordan888: Exactly. Unless WB wants to change all the supporting characters, like Carol, Sinestro, Abin Sur and etc, they would most 100% go with Hal. Currently, none of the other earth GL even have good supporting characters other than the other lanterns from GLC.

Exactly and with the New 52, Sinestro is even more popular now than ever so using him would be a great move with Hal. If they reboot the GL movie-verse or continue on.

ecliptor2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ecliptor2814

yes it should be hal but he should not be played by ryan reynolds.

i wouldn't complain if it was kyle rayner or guy gardiner either.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By PowerHerc

Hal Jordan should be the GL in the Justice League movie.

No question. No doubt.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sethysquare
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@TheThe said:

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By majestic99

@TheThe said:

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By majestic99

@CODYSF said:

@TheThe said:

No it will always be Hal Jordan I like John Stewart but when it come to the dam big screen it will always be Hal.

No, it'll always be John.

@sethysquare said:

John Stewart's cooler.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Duke_Nasty

John Stewart is the PC choice so I think it'll be him.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sethysquare

@majestic99 said:

@CODYSF said:

@TheThe said:

No, it'll always be John.

@sethysquare said:

John Stewart's cooler.

Hal Jordan is the "first" GL and the best. Hal is way cooler. John is honestly the most boring GL ever. Other than Killing Mogo and other GLs theres nothing much to do with him. Sure in the animated series he was pretty cool with all the romance with Hawkgirl and VIxen. But in the comics for the past ten years, he has been written as the worst human GL. He got no supporting character, he is boring and nobody knows much about his back story.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By HolySerpent

Johm Stewart. The JL need diversity

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Lvenger

I'd love to see John Stewart on the big screen and he might be a popular choice as well as adding diversity to the League but when it comes down to it, I still feel that Hal, my favourite Lantern (waits for barrage of abuse from everyone else) deserves to be recognised as the founding GL of the League.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AtPhantom

Hal will absolutely be in any eventual JL movie. There is no question about it. He's already got a movie, a carton and he's the most well known of all lanterns. That doesn't mean he desreves to be in a JL movie, because he is also just about the blandest leading character in existence. Kyle is probably the Lantern that should be in a movie, but alas he never will.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lvenger

@AtPhantom: I've always felt that Guy is the blandest Lantern. I was never able to be interested in the character and the Vuldarian powers thing was a poor move IMO. My favourite Lantern always fluctuated between John Stewart due to the cartoon, Kyle Rayner due to reading a few JLA graphic novels and then after the prelude to and Blackest Night itself, Hal Jordan became my favourite. I never understood what was so special about Guy.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AtPhantom

@Lvenger: I don't really like Guy, but I can understand the appeal of him as someone who just leaped out of an 80's cowboy cop movie and was given the ultimate weapon in the universe. The fact that he gravitates towards butt monkey in non serious situations but is an asskicker when push comes to shove adds to his charm.

Hal though? He should be a cowboy cop somewhat akin to Guy, but throughout Johns' run his only two personality traits have been 'no fear' and 'I'm afraid of relationships' and frankly that got old about ten issues in.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lvenger

@AtPhantom: If it wasn't for Johns' run, I'd never have been interested in Hal. Admittedly those two things you've mentioned are the quintessential themes for Johns' run but Johns has done a great deal to enhance the Green Lantern universe via the introduction of more Lantern Corps, revamping GL villains like Sinestro and Black Hand along with successfully demonstrating Hal's successful redemption for the most part. He comes off annoying and douchy sometimes but for the most part Johns' writing keeps the story engaging and entertaining. It's one of the few titles Johns writes intelligently with the detail he used to write all his comics. Justice League's first arc was too simplistic so hopefully the second one will be more character driven.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AtPhantom

@Lvenger said:

@AtPhantom: If it wasn't for Johns' run, I'd never have been interested in Hal. Admittedly those two things you've mentioned are the quintessential themes for Johns' run but Johns has done a great deal to enhance the Green Lantern universe via the introduction of more Lantern Corps, revamping GL villains like Sinestro and Black Hand along with successfully demonstrating Hal's successful redemption for the most part. He comes off annoying and douchy sometimes but for the most part Johns' writing keeps the story engaging and entertaining. It's one of the few titles Johns writes intelligently with the detail he used to write all his comics. Justice League's first arc was too simplistic so hopefully the second one will be more character driven.

See, I have a problem with just about everything you said.

The only things I would actually give Johns is that he revamped villains and that his writing is engaging and entertaining. The main problem is it's not Hal that's engaging and entertaining, its everyone around him. It annoys me to no end because I actually like Hal, and I think you could actually do some very interesting things with him, but Johns has consistently refused to actually explore Hal's character beyond the two points I've mentioned earlier and actually make him interesting. Not only that, but he has actually dumbed him down, because he hasn't, as you said, demonstrated Hal's successful redemption. No, instead he just swept the whole thing under the rug, and is quite insistent on never actually mentioning it. Any other character would have major issues about either killing, or being used to kill untold billions of lives across the multiverse, but Hal just acts like nothing really happened and keeps doing stuff like he only got the ring yesterday.

You see where I'm going with this? Any other good writer would jump at the chance to explore the consequences of Hal's actions, what it was like to sit by helpless and watch as your body slaughtered universes. Or was he helpless? Did he secretly want it? Did Parallax twist his own desires? Did it make him feel good doing it. Did he recognize his friends thus possessed? All excellent points that merrit exploring, but once again Johns is actually purposelly keeping Hal as bland as possible for some reason.

This is ultimately the problem with all of Johns' run. It's all flash. It's all awesome moments, and awesome villains and awesome pacing, and no substance whatsoever (An increasing problem with Johns' writing). And, you know, that's pretty much what you want to inject life in a franchise, and it was fine for about 20 issues or so. But after Sinestro corps war it quickly got amazingly stale and Hal got even blander than usual. It didn't help that every Lantern corps introduced after the Reds was boring and completely without any actual purpose or interesting features to them (Larfleeze excepted, but Larfleeze, is, let's face it, a joke). It also didn't help that the Lanterns have lost any other villain that isn't another Lantern. So while you say it enhanced the GL universe, I say it limited it considerably. Now the greatest peace keeping force in the universe has nothing else to fight but dopplegangers or themselves. And that, too, gets stale (I kinda hoped when Bedard took over GLC that he would break that mold and actually show us the universe beyond the rainbow, as he had done with REBELS, LEGION and RT war, but nope, that went nowhere fast).

It's, again, annoying, because Johns really is a good writer. I know he can write better than this. We've seen him write awesome comics. This isn't one of them. This is a comic designed solely to attract new readers, and give nothing to the old (Huh, like Johns' carrier of late, come to think of it).

PS: Black Hand is kinda awesome and creepy looking and a bit scary, but he's still lame because he's still just a one trick pony with no actual likeable qulaities to him.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By majestic99

@sethysquare said:

Hal Jordan is the "first" GL and the best. Hal is way cooler. John is honestly the most boring GL ever. Other than Killing Mogo and other GLs theres nothing much to do with him. Sure in the animated series he was pretty cool with all the romance with Hawkgirl and VIxen. But in the comics for the past ten years, he has been written as the worst human GL. He got no supporting character, he is boring and nobody knows much about his back story.

Hal is both boring and overrated.

@HolySerpent said:

This.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sethysquare

@majestic99 said:

@sethysquare said:

Hal is both boring and overrated.

@HolySerpent said:

This.

Diversity is where Cyborg comes in. Lets not bring the second stringers into the Justice League. What next, are we going to get Dick Grayson as Batman? Conner as Superman? LOL

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HolySerpent

no cyborg.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Blood1991

I don't like Hal, but I don't see DC using anyone else.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sethysquare

@HolySerpent: no john stewart

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lvenger

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who loves Hal on here. So I agree with the sentiment of the OP. Hal does deserve his place on the line up of the movie Justice League. And if the rumours are true it will be him. Though Ryan Reynolds might be back which I'm not pleased about.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheThe

Then, your GL movie will flop as expected.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HolySerpent

I love this debate where having.

But seriously no cyborg. He doesn't belong on justice league movie.

Also since the show Justice league unlimited. People know who John Stewart is.

And on a side note: I think hawkwoman should be in the movie as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.