Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Hal Jordan missing from the Third Army story arc

• 61 results
    HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By HalJordan888

Anyone else worried that Hal might die in the Revenge of the Black Hand arc?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Worried or hopeful?

Hopeful.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HalJordan888

@TheCrowbar said:

Worried or hopeful?

Hopeful.

Apparently Hal Jordan haters exist everywhere.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar

He's better as a tragedy than a character.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

i like hal as much as i like thor , in his own element he is okay, and he is overhyped. but i think sinestro gnna dump him on earth and fight this third army with the others and hal comes to save the day and sinestro takes off for his own thing .

Avatar image for inblackestnight
    inblackestnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inblackestnight

I dont think hal jordans gonna die. I mean geoff johns has spent the better part of the last decade giving him an amazing come back.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

Yeah, Geoff John's entire run on GL so far has been about reviving Hal Jordan as a character. I think that Hal will give up being a GL and relinquish the ring that SInestro made him because even IF Hal died it's not like his ring would be sent to someone else. I am interested how the new guy will get a ring though.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I really hope he doesnt die. I wouldn't mind if he actually retired to be with Carol but please don't kill him.

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

I quite like Hal, but I wouldn't really mind if they killed him to be honest. I'm so burnt out of comic books death that another won't make a difference. He'd be back in a couple of years anyway

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sethysquare

@TheCrowbar said:

Worried or hopeful?

Hopeful.

>:(

No Caption Provided
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sethysquare

@Cosmic_Hobo said:

I quite like Hal, but I wouldn't really mind if they killed him to be honest. I'm so burnt out of comic books death that another won't make a difference. He'd be back in a couple of years anyway

This isn't marvel. Last time Barry Allen and Kara died, it stuck around for 20 years. Hal Jordan took another 20 years to recover from the whole emerald twilight saga.

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

@sethysquare: Okay, they took a little while, but all of them STILL came back.

As did Superman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Aquaman etc, many of those in significantly under 20 years, and often in just 1 or 2

The use of character death is pretty much identical in both Marvel and DC

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar

@sethysquare: Ok, but if I can type one thing.

Hal Jordan's death would be a good thing for the Green Lantern series. Guy Gardner's too.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sethysquare

@Cosmic_Hobo: Not as bad in DC. Fear itself killed 2 person just to come back in 2 months. No wait, Thor died in Fear itself but still had his ongoing. Yes the same thing happened to Superman, but he was the only exception. Everyone else took quite a while.

@TheCrowbar: His death would signal the end of Green Lantern in other medias. They tried pushing John Steward but it didnt work. Also, Guy and Kyle's solo sold very poorly. So Hal's return is the best thing for the whole line. If Hal is dead, it'll probably go back down to one or two titles.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar

@sethysquare: Other than Jon Stewart in the cartoon, who was actually just as popular in that series as anyone else(Outside of Batman and Superman), there hasn't been any true push to put Stewart in the spotlight, not since Geoff Johns took over and decided to ruin other characters to make his favorite a good guy again.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am worried something is going to happen to Hal. It seems like he is missing in the up coming story arc and his own series. I hope he doesn't die. He is my favorite Green Lantern

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By htb106

@Cosmic_Hobo: They haven't brought the original Aqualad back yet.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sethysquare

@TheCrowbar: Jon Stewart has been around for years. YEARS. Its not anyone's fault he can't get popular. Jon is the most boring GL amongst all of the gls. Besides, Kyle Raynor held the green lantern book for like years before hal return. Green Lantern was failing. Even Green Lantern Corp was cancelled. Emerald Twilight signalled the end for Green Lantern. Thats one reason why Green Lantern was never a popular character for like 20 years. Why you ask? Because we let the second string Jon Stewart and Kyle Raynor ruin Green Lantern. Want Proof? Go check the sales for Green Lantern before Hal took over.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

@sethysquare: You do know that Hal Jordan was originally replaced because his book was suffering already. Right? Kyle was brought in to revitalize sales.

For the last 10 years, he's been the "Can do no wrong" character, other characters always get sacrificed for his greatness regardless if it diminishes the writing and the characters around him. It's disgusting, one Batman is enough thank you.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sethysquare

@TheCrowbar: Not really. There were tons of great stories being told under Hal. Its just that they wanted to coincide more stuff with the death of Superman. After Hal is gone, there was even a fan group called HEAT being formed to request DC retcon out that storyline. After 20 years they did it. But ever since Emerald Twilight, the sales tanked very badly. Green Lantern turned from one of the promising franchise to the least popular one. Even when writers tried to put Kyle Raynor in Superman the animted series, they couldn't do it, they had to use Hal's storyline.

Also Hal only revived in 05/06, so its not really ten years. Ever since, the franchise flourish. From one book to 4 books now. Also, he hasn't really been "can do no wrong" character. He still makes lotsa mistakes. Everyone is still being like everyone. Guy is being the usual silly him. In fact he got more likeable when Hal was restored. He actually had several very endearing storyline and even a book to himself. Kyle Rayner was being the usual emo/snag him and Jon was just the same boring character. If DC never decided to use Jon in the Justice League, Green Lantern could've gotten much more popular. If they really want diversity they should have brought in Cyborg or Firestorm like in 80s animated series. Both Cyborg and Firestorm are much better and more relatable characters. The only thing going for Jon in JLU was his relationship with Hawkgirl. Other than that he was also really boring in JLU just like in comics.

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

@htb106: Erm, okay? Both companies have some characters they've haven't brought back, my point was a big character like Hal wouldn't stay dead. Emerald Twilight was a pretty brave move, I was disappointed they didn' t stick with it. And I bet even Aqualad will be back eventually, although I hope not, if only because I truly hate that any character would have 'lad' in their name:P

@sethysquare: I don't think we can really count the fear itself deaths. Bucky was never dead, he merely faked it, and they announced that Thor was only going to be gone for a short time before hand. it was never claimed top be a permanent move (that I'm aware of).

That said, I'm not trying to claim that one company does it better than the other, I'm not entirely sure why so many threads become about that. I read both, and I hate that they both do it. Character death has been cheapened so much that it has become pointless, and it frustrates me immensely.

To get back to the original topic though, i suspect that Hal will either appear to die, or get captured, and then return triumphantly to save everyone else. Johns doesn't seem to like it when some one other than Hal saves the day:P

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sethysquare

@Cosmic_Hobo: If thats the case then Superman didnt really die, he just had a kryptonian coma, or whatever they call it. Back to Hal, I think its a ruse. Its merely Johns trying to mess around with us. Hal Jordan is too important to just die like that. Besides, losing both Hal and Sinestro couldn't be good for the franchise

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

@sethysquare: That's true, he was in a healing coma...thing. But it was marketed as a genuine permanent death, and that's what annoys me. Same thing with Captain America's 'death' a few years ago.

I totally agree with you about Hal and Sinestro though, they sell to many comics for DC to risk it

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sethysquare

@Cosmic_Hobo: yes, Sinestro and Hal are front and center in lots of merchandise. DC also said as from Blackest Night, deaths would meant death. So its unlikely Hal and Sinestro is gone

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HalJordan888

@sethysquare said:

@Cosmic_Hobo: If thats the case then Superman didnt really die, he just had a kryptonian coma, or whatever they call it. Back to Hal, I think its a ruse. Its merely Johns trying to mess around with us. Hal Jordan is too important to just die like that. Besides, losing both Hal and Sinestro couldn't be good for the franchise

I really hope you're right the October solicits scared me again, even with all my evidence against Hal dying. Yeah it being a ruse to mess with fans does make sense for Geoff Johns to do.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

@HalJordan888: He also did that in GL #1 didn't he. He plastered Sinestro's face for 3 issues, everyone thought hal is gone, then suddenly when you read issue one, he took up like 50% or more of the book. LOL.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HalJordan888

@sethysquare said:

@HalJordan888: He also did that in GL #1 didn't he. He plastered Sinestro's face for 3 issues, everyone thought hal is gone, then suddenly when you read issue one, he took up like 50% or more of the book. LOL.

Lol yeah totally, but still this plays with my heart strings way too much. I hope Hal's fine or some good story points.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Stop f$&):ng with my emotions Geoff!!!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sethysquare

@HalJordan888: Besides, if Hal is dead, who is going to lead the GL book? this new arab GL? wonder how sales will look like afterwards lol.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HalJordan888

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Stop f$&):ng with my emotions Geoff!!!

Yeah this exactly.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HalJordan888

@sethysquare said:

@HalJordan888: Besides, if Hal is dead, who is going to lead the GL book? this new arab GL? wonder how sales will look like afterwards lol.

Lol not good. Hal and Sinestro are the reason the book is selling.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By TDK_1997

No.I don't think that he is going to die but he may stop being a GL.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HalJordan888

@TDK_1997 said:

No.I don't think that he is going to die but he may stop being a GL.

We already got that, and because Carol being in GL:NG I don't think so, I mean besides the whole stranded without a ring thing possibly.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By z3ro180

im not big on him dieing instead just have him say hes done being a gl for a while then bring him back

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sethysquare

@HalJordan888: exactly

@TDK_1997: he isnt a green lantern atm.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TDK_1997

@sethysquare: I know.What I meant was that maybe Sinestro won't continue to charge the ring construct that Hal has held.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sethysquare

@TDK_1997: Im sure the writers have more ideas on what to do with Hal. LOL.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TDK_1997

@sethysquare: I believe in Geoff Johns that he will do something really cool with the return of Black Hand and what will happen with Hal and the new Green Lantern.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sethysquare

@TDK_1997: likewise

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HalJordan888

@sethysquare said:

@TDK_1997: likewise

Make that 3. Man, I love talking to people who trust in Geoff Johns and his stories in Green Lantern.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Maybe Sinestro is gonna die......

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sethysquare

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be so mad if Sinestro dies.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Lvenger

@sethysquare: It's still too early for Hal to die. Unlike Marvel, DC left Hal dead for 10 years before bringing him back. Killing him again would be a tad counterproductive. As for Sinestro, there are still plenty of good stories to tell with him so hopefully he's not the one who dies. But they might replace Hal with that new ethnic Green Lantern. I'll stick with Johns for now as I'm sure he's got some good ideas up his sleeve for Green Lantern.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sethysquare

@Lvenger: Yeah I dont believe they would kill either one of the them. All our answers will be answered soon. We just need to be patient.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Lvenger

@sethysquare: But the story looks really good. I wanna read it now!!!! XD

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sethysquare

@Lvenger: LOL. I just realised that Green Lantern won't be sold this week. Weird. The only issue coming out would be next week.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HalJordan888

I wish we would get more answers about Hal and Sinestro's whereabouts! Though I asked Dan Didio on Facebook about Hal and Sinestro and he said there is plenty going on with them.

MrMoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrMoe

Killing him would only make him a martyre....let him retire

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sethysquare

let the worlds greatest green lantern retire.

HalJordan888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HalJordan888

Anyone else miss Hal a lot?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.