Hal Jordan has no friends

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

reblogged from scans_daily

written by insanekagome654.insanejournal.com

posted on comicvine by Avenging-X-Bolt

find the original article here: http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/504311.html

A while ago I posted Neil Gaiman's 'Green Lantern/Superman: Legend of the Green Flame'. I prefaced the entry by saying it was a continuation of sorts of an older story known as 'The List' (published in Action Comics Weekly #606). I've finally decided to post part of that story, which depicts a surprisingly vulnerable Hal Jordan and (even more surprising) an uncharacteristically rude Alfred Pennyworth.

First, a little background-

Hal Jordan has just returned from space. He's recently been held captive in another galaxy, is on the outs with his girlfriend, is homeless (his apartment having been destroyed), jobless, directionless and totally miserable. To make matters worse people on Earth seem to be afraid of him.

He decides to contact John. Unfortunately as bad as Hal's life is at the moment...well, poor John's is ten times worse.

I think it was emotionally mature for Hal to realize that he needs support and advice. He could have just as easily decided that he needs to work out his problems alone...which would have lead to a lot of ineffectual angst.

I'm a little less impressed by his lack of judgment when it comes to determining who would be the best to talk to about such things. If you're looking for emotional support and guidance Wayne Manor should NOT be your first stop....

Believe it or not, Bruce let him down easily compared to some...

One of the sequels to this story involved him talking to Dinah about his problems. Apparently someone finally remembered they were actually fairly good friends (which makes his treatment of her in 'Cry for Justice' all the more irritating) and it, unsurprisingly, went a lot better than this. Unfortunately I don't have that issue, so I can't post anything from it.

So, we're off to see everyone's favorite archer (Haha...ha).

...Ouch. Someone remind me why these two are friends again?

Anyway, I really liked this story. I don't mind Johns' characterization of Hal as much as some, but he does seem to have a limited emotional range. He always seems to be either full of righteous indignation, talking like a quippy action hero, or angsting in a very macho sort of way that seems oddly shallow. I miss the occasionally goofy Hal, the who is not embarrassed to be a little vulnerable and emotional and can (and has!) 'weep/ed openly and without shame.

#1 Posted by batshrine (994 posts) - - Show Bio

what comic is that scene with bruce and hal from?

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

what comic is that scene with bruce and hal from?

they're all from Action Comic Weekly #606. it says this at the beginning of the article.

#3 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio
Justice League Of America
#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@ckuakini said:

Justice League Of America

thing is, Hal wasnt as close as he thought to most of the classic League. Green Arrow, Black Canary,and the Dibnys were his closest friends and Barry was dead at the the time that this storyline was written and Ollie....well you saw what he did. A great deal of these characters hadnt been introduced yet, didnt know Hal or didnt like him

#5 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal doesn't deserve to have friends :P

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

Hal doesn't deserve to have friends :P

why not exactly?

#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Well there's that whole being a mass murdering douche thing

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Well there's that whole being a mass murdering douche thing

ahhhhh, yes, having a psychotic breakdown brought upon him by years of pain and suffering culminating in the loss of everything he ever loved and then being penalized for trying to bring it back. yup, what a douchebag.

come to think of it...has Hal ever done anything of any good his career..yknow besides

>save the planet on a daily basis,

>nurse Carol Ferris when she was wheelchair bound,

>help Roy Harper get over his drug addiction,

>save the Corps from Nekron and Krona (several times),

>give up his GL ring to help save Carol's business,

> rescue Guy Gardner's two faced self from the phantom zone

>sacrifice himself to save the world from a second ice age

>bring Green Arrow's hypocritical self back to life

> erase public knowledge of Wally West's identity thus sparing Linda Park from having a miscarriage

> help Kyle Rayner and Greta Hayes

>journey back in time to help rescue Bruce Wayne

so on and so forth

what a dick.

#9 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

man,i never knew this side of hal...

i sincerely want to know what happens after this????

can someone please gove me summmary of what does happen?in PM????PLS PLS PLS

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@xtremekidx said:

man,i never knew this side of hal...

i sincerely want to know what happens after this????

can someone please gove me summmary of what does happen?in PM????PLS PLS PLS

the story is followed up in these 2 stories in which Hal patches things up with Superman and gets advice from Black Canary.

the whole Batman conflict is eventually ignored completely while the Green Arrow thing is kinda settled in the Green Lantern issue before Emerald Twilight

http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.com/2008/06/green-lantern-if-heroes-knew-then-what.html

http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.com/2008/10/neil-gaimans-legend-of-green-flame_2695.html

#11 Posted by Dernman (14951 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Well there's that whole being a mass murdering douche thing

ahhhhh, yes, having a psychotic breakdown brought upon him by years of pain and suffering culminating in the loss of everything he ever loved and then being penalized for trying to bring it back. yup, what a douchebag.

come to think of it...has Hal ever done anything of any good his career..yknow besides

>save the planet on a daily basis,

>nurse Carol Ferris when she was wheelchair bound,

>help Roy Harper get over his drug addiction,

>save the Corps from Nekron and Krona (several times),

>give up his GL ring to help save Carol's business,

> rescue Guy Gardner's two faced self from the phantom zone

>sacrifice himself to save the world from a second ice age

>bring Green Arrow's hypocritical self back to life

> erase public knowledge of Wally West's identity thus sparing Linda Park from having a miscarriage

> help Kyle Rayner and Greta Hayes

>journey back in time to help rescue Bruce Wayne

so on and so forth

what a dick.

Copied for future posting later.
#12 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt:Thanks for reminding me once again why I don't like Geoff Johns and his constant retconning to make his golden baby look good

#13 Posted by Juandicimo_Magnifico45 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't feel that these few issues defines Hal Jordan. While those issues may have made for a good story, it doesn't correctly display is friendships. Hal did spend quite some time alone, and at time struggled to keep friends. To say that he was basically a loner however, isn't true.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

ahhhhh, yes, having a psychotic breakdown brought upon him by years of pain and suffering culminating in the loss of everything he ever loved and then being penalized for trying to bring it back. yup, what a douchebag.

come to think of it...has Hal ever done anything of any good his career..yknow besides

>save the planet on a daily basis,

>nurse Carol Ferris when she was wheelchair bound,

>help Roy Harper get over his drug addiction,

>save the Corps from Nekron and Krona (several times),

>give up his GL ring to help save Carol's business,

> rescue Guy Gardner's two faced self from the phantom zone

>sacrifice himself to save the world from a second ice age

>bring Green Arrow's hypocritical self back to life

> erase public knowledge of Wally West's identity thus sparing Linda Park from having a miscarriage

> help Kyle Rayner and Greta Hayes

>journey back in time to help rescue Bruce Wayne

so on and so forth

what a dick.

Excellent post right here.

#15 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt:Thanks for reminding me once again why I don't like Geoff Johns and his constant retconning to make his golden baby look good

yup, that sentence would make sense except for the fact absolutely none of these were the result of retcons and only one instance was written by Geoff Johns. try again.

#16 Posted by Jade1977 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: You're the douchebag.

#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jade1977 said:

@Crom-Cruach: You're the douchebag.

please, there is no need for name calling.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45 said:

I don't feel that these few issues defines Hal Jordan. While those issues may have made for a good story, it doesn't correctly display is friendships. Hal did spend quite some time alone, and at time struggled to keep friends. To say that he was basically a loner however, isn't true.

agreed, i just feel that i was an influential turning point in Hal's life and had mad respect for the guy who wrote the article.

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jade1977 said:

@Crom-Cruach: You're the douchebag.

This is entirely unnecessary.

Moderator
#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Jade1977 said:

@Crom-Cruach: You're the douchebag.

This is entirely unnecessary.

this.

#22 Posted by consolemaster001 (5228 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever alone hal

Online
#23 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

ahhhhh, yes, having a psychotic breakdown brought upon him by years of pain and suffering culminating in the loss of everything he ever loved and then being penalized for trying to bring it back. yup, what a douchebag.

come to think of it...has Hal ever done anything of any good his career..yknow besides

>save the planet on a daily basis,

>nurse Carol Ferris when she was wheelchair bound

>help Roy Harper get over his drug addiction

>save the Corps from Nekron and Krona (several times)

>give up his GL ring to help save Carol's business,

> rescue Guy Gardner's two faced self from the phantom zone

> restore Two Face's scarred face

>sacrifice himself to save the world from a second ice age

>bring Green Arrow's hypocritical self back to life

> erase public knowledge of Wally West's identity thus sparing Linda Park from having a miscarriage

> help Kyle Rayner and Greta Hayes

>journey back in time to help rescue Bruce Wayne

>help restore OA after Kyle Rayner was forced to destroy it and

>Restore John Stewart's ability to walk after he was crippled by Grayven

>Helping Kilowog's soul find rest after Boodikka and the Brotherhood Of The Cold Flame disturbed it by bringing him back demonic "Dark Lantern"

so on and so forth

what a dick.

Excellent post right here.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Hal :( I never thought before but doesn't Hal have any non-super supporting cast?

#25 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Hal :( I never thought before but doesn't Hal have any non-super supporting cast?

currently no. but he DID have a decent one in the past.

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Poor Hal :( I never thought before but doesn't Hal have any non-super supporting cast?

currently no. but he DID have a decent one in the past.

Maybe Venditti will build it back up when he takes over?

#27 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Poor Hal :( I never thought before but doesn't Hal have any non-super supporting cast?

currently no. but he DID have a decent one in the past.

Maybe Venditti will build it back up when he takes over?

i doubt it, but i hope so

#28 Posted by Teerack (5813 posts) - - Show Bio

In the New 52 Barry an Hal are definitely friends. He's also considered a legend in the Green Lantern Corps so he has friends in the corpse like Kilowog for example.

#29 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

In the New 52 Barry an Hal are definitely friends. He's also considered a legend in the Green Lantern Corps so he has friends in the corpse like Kilowog for example.

i think you missed the point of the article. its simply highlighting a point in Hal's career where he was mostly alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.