Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5259 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Five Developments from GREEN LANTERN #8

• 66 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The "New 52" DC Universe is in an interesting state. At its core, things are pretty much the same. We know who the characters are and what their origins are. Some characters have gone through bigger changes than others but the events in GREEN LANTERN have pretty much stayed the same.

Despite the lack of completely tweaking the GL Universe, we are seeing new developments month after month. It turns out that everything wasn't quite what it seemed. More is being added to what we thought we knew. We've been seeing glimpses of all the secrets being kept by Sinestro, the Guardians of the Universe and even the Indigo Tribe. With the Tribe wanting to convert Sinestro and teach him compassion, we're continuing to find out more information.

No Caption Provided

The story of the Indigo Tribe may have just started last issue but big things are coming to light. If you haven't read GREEN LANTERN #8 yet, be sure to check it out in order to get the complete story. There will be some minor spoilers below.

== TEASER ==

The Indigo Tribe Can Infect Power Levels

No Caption Provided

What does this mean? The Indigo Tribe has abducted Sinestro with the idea of converting him to their ways. They want him to learn and feel compassion. In order for that to happen, they need to cleanse him of his will power first. That means they need to cut Sinestro off from his power ring.

The idea that they can infect the power levels is pretty big. They may be about compassion but they are obviously following their own rules. Should the Green Lantern Corps or others want or need to put a stop to them, it looks like the Indigo Tribe might have a little advantage. Of course, infecting the power levels seems to be a process and doesn't simply happen within moments. What happens after this scene is worth seeing.

Indigo Lanterns Can Cycle Through the Emotional Spectrum

No Caption Provided

When an imprisoned Hal Jordan was catching up with his former enemy, Black Hand, now part of the Indigo Tribe, he found out that Black Hand could cycle through the different emotions. Talking about fear, Black Hand started glowing with a yellow light. Above you can see him mention hope. The kicker is when Hal says he can't channel willpower. Hal was wrong.

This appears to make the Indigo Tribe even stronger. If they can channel or cycle through the other emotions and access their powers, it gives them an even bigger edge than we thought they had.

What does Simulated Energy Mean?

No Caption Provided

We know Hal's been having power problems. Much to his dismay, when trying to use his ring, he found some limitations. This changes the way he can fight as immediately he got a pretty nasty piece of shrapnel in him (which of course didn't seem to phase him).

The bigger question is what does the simulated power mean? Why can it be simulated and to what purpose? This is something that needs to be investigated. It also has to be something the Guardians can't be too happy about, if they aren't already aware of this.

Hal Wants to Save Sinestro

No Caption Provided

Sinestro is Hal's greatest enemy. When Sinestro came knocking on Hal's door, Hal told him he was done. He didn't care about the ring or Lantern Corps anymore. He had realized he wanted to be with Carol. That was to be his priority. But when the Indigo Tribe came for Sinestro, Hal found himself going along with them.

Now with Sinestro in the custody of the Indigo Tribe, Hal is determined to save him, despite the fact that he isn't fully powered. He mentions the fact that Sinestro knows quite a bit and has been revealing little tidbits here and there (since this series started). While what Sinestro knows is extremely important and beneficial to Hal, it almost seems as if Hal has another reason for wanting to save him. Could Hal be developing feelings of loyalty to Sinestro?

Abin Sur's Role with the Indigo Tribe

No Caption Provided

This has been one of the biggest mysteries since the Indigo Tribe surfaced. Hal comes across a pretty big sign of Abin's involvement with the Tribe. We saw the flashback where Indigo-1 was imprisoned by Abin and we know his name is mentioned in their oath. As they get ready to pounce upon Hal, they mention that Abin Sur is their savior and creator. He saved them all.

So what does this mean for Sinestro? Why are they so determined to teach him compassion? There is mention of that and you'll have to read the issue to find out. Plus the last page is pretty epic.

As for what happens next, the revelations keep on coming. You're going to want to see what issue #9 has coming.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By VictorGrey

Nice, will be picking up.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zackattack529

indigo lanterns can cycle through the emotional spectrum. of course they can. because COMPASSION means you can empathize or feel what others feel. meaning you can feel others emotions. thats what compassion IS. so if my friend was angry i could understand him because i am being compassionate. thats why they can cycle through emotions. black hand can feel and understand all emotions himself and from others.

and my guess is abin sur wanted to create a corps which can understand others emotions..where everyone thats evil will feel what theyve never understood or bother to feel. i mean look at all the indigo tribe? they all look like they were evil before.

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BoyWander

So you can cycle through all the emotions... But don't they all have the same powers? Making constructs, flight, etc. what purpose does that serve?

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By DarthShap

To me, this should have happened before the war of lights, the blackest night and the brightest day. After Nekron, it seems exploring the corps has become futile because they have already faced each other and been faced with the ultimate threat and embodiment of death.

Now would be the time to go on a different direction, finally exploring Sinestro's past (after more than six years of hints of it ever since the first appearance of Soranik Natu) and the confrontation between the Guardians and the Lanterns, which was already hinted in The Sinestro Corps War and definitely what the War of the Green Lanterns should have been about.

Anyway, interesting developments but we have been waiting on other revelations for years now and the hinting is really getting annoying.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By HolySerpent

I might drop...the reading is way to fast

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lamenoire

@zackattack529 said:

indigo lanterns can cycle through the emotional spectrum. of course they can. because COMPASSION means you can empathize or feel what others feel. meaning you can feel others emotions. thats what compassion IS.

yeah... but before they could just use the color of another lantern nearby (or maybe I Am Wrong). Black Hand is using them without a Yellow, Blue or Green Lantern nearby. that's a game changer.

And it's simulated energy

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Or35ti

Can't wait to read this! Hal's motorcycle looks awesome

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

Why couldn't they increase the amount of pages?? i finish reading before i even knew... but either way i enjoy the carp out of it... =(

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KRYPTON

This series keeps getting better

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrGutts

@HolySerpent said:

I might drop...the reading is way to fast

I was thinking the same thing.

Tyrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tyrisis

This issue was a fast read, but that is because the artwork was unreal - and told a lot of the story by itself. I really like this messiah type path they have Abin Sur on. There is no question he was a powerful Green Lantern - but what other secrets did he hold.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravisher

is the Simulated question a real question?

did you see what he got the energy from?

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I can't wait to start reading this.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocFatalis

I really really really don't like Hal Jordan. All other members of the Green Lantern Corps are OK, but Jordan, I wouldn't even let him pay for the beer.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@KRYPTON said:

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Deranged Midget said:

@KRYPTON said:

But when it starts at; 
    "Sweet Merciful Lord this is the worst thing ever, why can't I just die?" That's not saying too much.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Deranged Midget said:

@KRYPTON said:

But when it starts at; "Sweet Merciful Lord this is the worst thing ever, why can't I just die? That's not saying too much."
    Then it's a good thing that it did not start that way. :P
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By KRYPTON

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@KRYPTON said:

But when it starts at; "Sweet Merciful Lord this is the worst thing ever, why can't I just die? That's not saying too much."

lol

CpTait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CpTait

The simulated energy isn't from the fake ring Sinestro has given to Hal; its from Hal using the willpower simulated by Black Hand to recharge the ring... like a battery. There is obviously a limit to emotional spectrum the Indigo Tribe can tap into, it must only be able to incompletely simulate Will, Fear etc. Therefore it is an advantage for the Indigo Tribe that will be explored but it comes with its downsides!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck

@CpTait: Actually it means that I'm not trying to spoil everything for those that haven't read it. The question is WHY can the energy be simulated and to what means? Which is pretty much the question I put forth.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Morpheus_ said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Deranged Midget said:

@KRYPTON said:

But when it starts at; "Sweet Merciful Lord this is the worst thing ever, why can't I just die? That's not saying too much."
    Then it's a good thing that it did not start that way. :P

The series has had it's high's and lows throughout but it definitely didn't start out like that.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Deranged Midget: Agreed. And I have definitely found the series to be an enjoyable endeavor all the way around. It does not do much to showcase its supposed star (Hal), but as a buddy comedy/Sinestro book it has worked wonders. And above all else, it's fun.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Morpheus_: I found the focus on Sinestro rather than Hal to be somewhat refreshing. We already know Hal but it's a pleasure to explore Sinestro even further and as you mentioned, the forced partnership between the two has been a delight to see unfold.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Deranged Midget: I'm a big Sinestro fan so I can't complain that he gets his time in the spotlight, and I hope he remains a GL lasts for a long time. I just think it might be odd for other readers. Sinestro's journey works better if you have followed the character's development since the beginning.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Morpheus_: I too, am a fan of Sinestro and was pleased when I heard the change of pace this series was to take when it was originally announced. I'm interested to see what Abin Sur's involvement with the Indigo Tribe was, and why they're so keen on inducting Sinestro into their corps.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#26  Edited By lostlantern13

@BoyWander: They all have the same base powers, but each Corps has unique capabilities of their own. Examples would be how a Blue Lantern can discharge a Sinestro Corps member and supercharge a Green Lantern, how a Red Lantern's corrosive energy can burn through shields, or how Agent Orange's lantern "steals" someone's identity.

For the Indigos, it's huge that they can cycle through and channel all the emotions...because it basically means they can always gain an advantage over the other corps.

--

And, since I mentioned Larfleeze...I find it interesting that avarice and compassion work in a somewhat similar way, as far as the Indigo's stripping one of their identity and Larfleeze stealing it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis

Dropped this book months ago,why? cause I dont care about purple guys.GL has never been as dry and bland as it has been recently.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jsphsmth

Geoff is a master at long-term planning. Amazing to see how he plants plot seeds that will come into use years later in a series. Can't wait to see how this writing style will work for Aquaman and Justice League, both of which have been great over the short-term.

EpicMeltDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By EpicMeltDown

I don't think Hal was under the impression that the indigos couldn't channel will. I'm fairly certain Hal was tricking Black Hand into channeling will so he could charge his ring.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#30  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Why haven't I picked this series up yet? And to think I actually wanted to pick up New Guardians over this. Bad X-Bolt, bad.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By doordoor123

@DarthShap said:

To me, this should have happened before the war of lights, the blackest night and the brightest day. After Nekron, it seems exploring the corps has become futile because they have already faced each other and been faced with the ultimate threat and embodiment of death.

Now would be the time to go on a different direction, finally exploring Sinestro's past (after more than six years of hints of it ever since the first appearance of Soranik Natu) and the confrontation between the Guardians and the Lanterns, which was already hinted in The Sinestro Corps War and definitely what the War of the Green Lanterns should have been about.

Anyway, interesting developments but we have been waiting on other revelations for years now and the hinting is really getting annoying.

Well it's a good thing that Geoff Johns isn't writing for you specifically.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#32  Edited By lostlantern13

@EpicMeltDown said:

I don't think Hal was under the impression that the indigos couldn't channel will. I'm fairly certain Hal was tricking Black Hand into channeling will so he could charge his ring.

Agreed. It was a very Hal-move to do.

chroinkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By chroinkero

@EpicMeltDown: Definitly because just one issue earlier he was hit with a green jet made by Indigo-1 so i'm pretty sure it was a trick.

I think what happened with Abin Sur and Indigo-1 is that he imprisoned her and then let her out, which was a show of compassion, thus creating the Indigo Tribe.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#34  Edited By The Impersonator

This article makes me feel so compassionate. =P

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

Can you really infect a 'power level?' I'm pretty sure it was just the ring's way of saying his Willpower itself was infected. You can't really infect a numerical representation of power, but you can infect the power.

And how can you not know what 'simulated power' means? Right before that you talked about the Indigo Tribe cycling through the powers. Hal used the power Black Hand SIMULATED with his Indigo power, to charge his ring. Thus, he filled it with simulated energy. The development should be that the variety of color energy the Indigo Tribe can use is simulated.

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BatClaw89

I am not compassion 

I. AM. SINESTRO

Avatar image for green_tea_light
    Green_Tea_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#37  Edited By Green_Tea_Light

I thought we already knew that the Indigo Lanterns could cycle through the emotional spectrum. I remember the Blackest Night Atom and Hawkman issue having something like that in it. I could be wrong...

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DarthShap

@doordoor123 said:

@DarthShap said:

Are you familiar with the concept of comments? It is supposed to be opinion-based, genius...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Wasn't it said somewhere that Abin Sur took the most vile criminals in the Universe and forced them to feel compassion, thus creating the Indigo Tribe.

nandizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nandizzle

Is anybody on board with my idea for a gay character who is a rainbow lantern? I'm also thinking of a plaid lantern who is a lesbian? I could maybe make them twins or something like that.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By JairamGanpat

@nandizzle:

That is a terrible idea.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really am intrigued by all this "simulated" energy business, but for me I'm more interested by what Black Hand's capability to wiggle round the spectrums can mean in the future. The mystery of Abin Sur continues to amaze and I'm really looking forward to an in depth look at why he is the Indigo Tribe's so called "Savior".

nandizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nandizzle

@JairamGanpat: Why, that'd be an amazing story.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By doordoor123

@DarthShap said:

@doordoor123 said:

@DarthShap said:

Are you familiar with the concept of comments? It is supposed to be opinion-based, genius...

Good, you get that I was stating my opinion, genius...

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarthShap

Your intervention was not an opinion. It was just you being a troll.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BatteredArmor

Why did I drop this? I'm such a freakin idiot

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JamDamage

this arch is...........................................ok

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BatteredArmor

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@KRYPTON said:

But when it starts at; "Sweet Merciful Lord this is the worst thing ever, why can't I just die?" That's not saying too much.

I may have dropped this book because it felt like every issue was 2 pages long but on average those 2 pages were exquisite, GL was absolutely fantastic last I checked even if it had its low point

Fluffy6079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fluffy6079
    I think it's simulated because they aren't truly feeling the emotions. The ring just channels them and recognizes them, but the user doesn't actually feel it.
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Herokiller12344

@DarthShap: I'm with You, now that everyone important has been introduced as of the New 52, the mystery of the Indigo tribe seems like a moot point. I mean it's stupid to have treated that like a complete enigma for so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.