Does a Superhero's Race Matter in Comic Book Movies?

• 182 results
#151 Posted by lubu343 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

i think that people should reaserch up on varius characters before they open their mouthes or typ it up. but certain cahracters can't be changed like a black captain america or a white black panther it just would not work however others might work if they don't completly change the original.
#152 Posted by redshot (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i like both doesn't matter if hes white or black to me though the black one does seem 
to have more of a personality 

#153 Posted by kimeraevet (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people should stop being so completely ignorant of things because they watched them as a cartoon on t.v. when they were little.  If you care THAT much about something then look at the source material and learn about it.  Jon Stewart is still black and still a Green Lantern, just not the Green Lantern focused upon in the movie.  He wasn't even that great of a character on Justice League. I remember a lot of whining and making out with Hawkgirl and Vixen, but no real badassery.  I hope they cast him well and show him and the other lanterns like Gardner and Rayner off in all their glory.

#154 Edited by zoist (60 posts) - - Show Bio

It only matters if they change the original race of the character. For some odd reason it's ok to change a white character into a black one. The Kingpin is white and should be left that way.Ripcord is white and should be left that way. And that Donald Glover as Spider-Man bullshit was just that...bullshit. Any character that was created as a specific race should be left that way. But in the sense of Nick Fury being black I don't have a problem with that because that particular version of Nick Fury was created in an alternate universe. Or with John Stewart being a Green Lantern it's not really changing the race of a character cuz there's tons of Green Lanterns so it would be kind of unbelievable if there weren't a black person as a Green Lantern. BUT,if someone made a Black Panther or Luke Cage movie and cast a white guy in either role then look out, because the screams of racism would never die down. The hypocrites would be outraged. I don't like hypocrites.

#155 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2143 posts) - - Show Bio

Young Justice found a solution to the Green Lantern issue. They used Hal AND John. Now anybody watching that won't be confused.

#156 Posted by primepower53 (5591 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's not forget...Lando was Harvey Dent in the first "Batman"

#157 Edited by THEBlaqueBasterd (383 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats so f*king ironic about all this is when they originally planned to make the movie THOUSANDS of "Knowledgeable comics fans" were in outcry moaning bout HOW CAN GL be BLACK?? We want Jordan not Stewart etc Thats wrong studios are takin it too far etc

Its all a load of old bollox if u ask me... ..What i think ppl really need to realise is.. Comic Book readers are Racist/Reactionary/Ignorant too.. Wont solve anythin..But alot more'll start to make sense

#158 Posted by HannahRoth (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering the fact that comics were started during a time of racism and segregation I think it's high time to change a few things. I find it interesting how characters are being turned into Black people or White people but we have yet to see such arguments involving Hispanics and Asians. There has also been a lot of talk about a Black Wonder Woman because the actress in question is from south Africa, I would like to make it clear that there can be White Africans just like there can be Black Europeans. 
-Hannah 14, NY

#159 Posted by LooseChange (3 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on the character background. Could Blade be a white guy? Sure, why not. I personally think Donald Glover could play a really good Peter Parker/Spider Man and the fact that he isn't some action dude shouldn't negate his chances. I don't think Toby McGuire was thought of as an action star at any point of his career. Glover could easily play a shy reserved nerd and a charismatic hero spider man is. 

#160 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I agree with the general consensus that it kinda does matter... not directly because of a character's race, but because of the ideology that the character was based on... sometimes a story just works better with a character of a certain race.

#161 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a bit perplexing when a character changes ethnicities, but I think it helps, in certain productions, by adding a level of diversity to an otherwise all-caucasian cast. There have been instances where I was a little shocked about the decision to switch a character's race, but I don't think it's a bad thing, per se.

#162 Posted by marrymenightwing<3 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm. This is a hard subject. I really don't want to sound racist, but I think that race does matter, especially if the character is well known. For example, everyone knows that Superman (although he is an alien, but lets not talk about that) is caucasian. If a movie company randomly decided to make him Indian, that would be very strange and not met with very good reviews. In my opinion, all movies based off of any kind of book should try its hardest to stay relatively close to the original. Changing a characters race would screw up the goal to keep it as close to the original as possible. 

#163 Posted by difficlus (10632 posts) - - Show Bio
@daak1212 said:
"

Yes!  We need more blacks and mixbreeds so I can identify with them

"
I feel so too but all in all as long as the actor can act well im good with it. I want to see an actor get the role regardless of colour.@U R Sofa King We Todd Did said:
" For me it depends on the character. Some characters are so iconic/well known or there races are so integral to their character that changing it would detract from them and possibly be distracting. But for some characters, a change in race isn't that big a deal. "
this is also a good point...
#164 Posted by frogjitsu (477 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: A Black wolverine?  Now that's funny.  I would probably laugh every time i see him.
#165 Posted by Paracelsus (1311 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno- I have to admit that it was unusual seeing Michael Clarke Duncan and Kerry Washington(no relation to yours truly!), who were both African American playing the Kingpin and Alicia Masters (who of course in the "Daredevil" and "Fantastic Four" comics originally were white) in the movie versions-nearly as weird as having Jessica Alba( who is of Hispanic origin) playing the decidedly Caucasian Susan Storm Richards in the latter film(personally I would have preferred Reese Witherspoon in the role) but what's done is done!

Terry

#166 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36146 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah It dosnt bother me what colour the character is original but it bothers me when they change someone from black to white or white to Asian just for a films sake. They could at least try and stay faithful to the source material.

#167 Posted by PowerHerc (85517 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure race matters.  This is how these characters are known to people and loved by them. The race of the character is also part of who the character is and therefore it shouldn't be changed.  In the case of these Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan and John Stewart are two different characters who both carry the Green Lantern mantle so neither characters essence has been altered.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are unaware of Green Lantern history which lead to this confusion and potential controversy.  Gender would matter, too.

#168 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio

no.
I like a well written character, regardless of race. If you like a character simply for race you are f'n lame.

#169 Posted by tjx_penn (37 posts) - - Show Bio

whoever posted that tweet is lame. who obviously doesn't know marvel from dc. i hope someone sat him down and explained to him the ring changed hands several times before it got to stewart.

#170 Edited by Emperormeister734 (825 posts) - - Show Bio

THE WORSE THING EVER PUT ON HERE, HEROES AND VILLAINS  COME IN MANY COLORS, SIZES, AND GENDERS, THE WORLD IS A BIG PLACE THEREFORE HEOES WILL BE A LOT OF RACES!

#171 Posted by muhabba (301 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anybody mentioned the horriablness of "Dragonball Evolution" yet?  Cuz I'd like to point that one out.  It's a white guy named Goku.  That's all I'm sayin'.  If that kid was any whiter he woulda been transparent.

#172 Posted by Paracelsus (1311 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but I think that a character's race DOES matter- who would think that Drew Barrymore or Sharon Stone in the role of Storm was credible( I never understood why the Hispanic Jessica Alba was picked to play the uber-WASP Susan Storm in "Fantastic Four", ditto Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in "Daredevil" save a weird form of political correctness!)

Terry

#173 Posted by consolemaster001 (6313 posts) - - Show Bio

It matters IMO

#174 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson needs to play Luke Cage, nobody else. They just look too much alike, but I really don't know what his race is, to be honest. In the end, I really think race only matters if it's a part of the character.

#175 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's either Hawaiian or Filipino. ^

#176 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: That sounds about right. While a black man really should play Luke Cage, The Rock's appearance is just to uncanny to pass up... I mean, just picture him in a yellow shirt. He wouldn't need anything else. Just the shirt, and he's ready for the Avengers.

#177 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh. I'd rather see Terry Crews, but I wouldn't hate seeing the Rock in that role. For the longest time when I was younger, I wanted him for Namor. He has the perfect eyebrows for it.

#178 Posted by Justthatkid (4950 posts) - - Show Bio

It appeals to the minority, most people like characters that are similar to them or like a bit diversity. (This isn't proven or anything just my opinion)

#179 Posted by nauti55 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: daaaaaamn denzel would be an amazing lex luther

#180 Posted by nauti55 (6 posts) - - Show Bio
#181 Edited by Captain_Gumball (4 posts) - - Show Bio

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/GreenLantern40.jpg/220px-GreenLantern40.jpg

Golden Age Green Lantern vs Silver Age. Notice how they are both white.

#182 Posted by ScouterV (2254 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I like to believe we live in an age where actors are cast based more on talent than how they look. These are fictional characters with different versions across the multiverse. With that theory in mind, is it really farfetched to think that in one of these, Bruce Wayne was a black man? Or hell, maybe Black Manta is actually a white guy under that armor? Hell, he could be an Asian woman on one of these Earths.

Race should only be a problem if it plays a role in the characters background. Anyone can be a nerd like Peter Parker was, regardless of race. I don't think it's totally believable that a white guy would be king of a closed-off African country, like T'Challa.

Of course comicbook fans will moan and groan "he doesn't look like the character," but it's more about the performance for me. There are some roles where you can't change race, but there are some roles that you can, and it's nothing to do with how iconic a character is. Bruce Wayne, Kal-El, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, could be Latino, Asian, Black, and German for all I care.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.