Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Does a Superhero's Race Matter in Comic Book Movies?

• 182 results
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By Gambit1024

Terry Crews as Mr. Mxyzptlk in Superman: Rise of the Mofo's.  

LOVE IT!

evil_shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By evil_shazam

I think it does matter because like some people stated earlier you just cant have a black super man and i couldnt imagine a white black panther after reading comics and keeping up with them if they do change the race it just seems harder for me to get into the story becuase i feel like its not right. and i feel its wrong that if they changed a white charcter to black it wouldnt matter but if it was vice versa people would be outraged, i am not racsist just my 2 pennies. - Josh

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By DanialCarroll

RE the Green Lantern discussion: based purely on quantity, it makes sense that they'd use Hal over the others. If you look at their number of appearances, Hal is clearly the top player:

• 1684 - Hal Jordan
    • 764 - Kyle Raynor
    • 648 - John Stewart
    • 640 - Guy Gardner
    jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By jamdown

All super heros should be black, BLACK POWER!!! except cod piece, he would be a discrace
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@jamdown said:
    " All super heros should be black, BLACK POWER!!! except cod piece, he would be a discrace "
    All super heroes should be Terry Crews.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#56  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Baron_Emo:  
    Same with Avatar/Last Air Bender, folk. I definitely understood, and supported the outrcy of the Asian/Inuit communities when it came to the casting decisions. But as far as that abomination of a film went, I was more disturbed by it's blatant disregard for all things truly DB than by having a white Goku, though that played a part in my disdain as well. I get that Goku's an alien and him resembling a homo sapien of any ethnicity is an astronomical stretch, however, there was never a single doubt in my mind as I watched the show growing up that Goku was in fact Asian. He was based on a famous Asian folk legend and I can't really see him as being anything else. I mean in the anime/manga world. The only people who's ethnicity is clear are really blacks due to the over exaggerated,  almost racist ways we are portrayed. Generally it's assumed by Japanese readers/viewers that the characters they are seeing are Asian, specifically Japanese unless noted otherwise by the story.
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Red Rum

I originally thought that Will Smith should play Captain America. I even called him "Captain African-America", which is... I'm not sure how you would react...

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AndyPhifer
    @sora_thekey said:
    Halle Berry played Catwoman, there were a lot of things in that movie that bothered me but it wasn't the fact that she was black.   
    Halle Berry is black??? 

It could matter in some situations where the race/nationality of the character is a real part of their backstory. Like, Nightcrawler being German is kind of a must for me, like Colossus being Russian or Black Panther being black. I mean, you can't have a white Black Panther, right? The king of a country of black people can't be white - it wouldn't make sense, bloodline-wise. 
    Some of those are more serious than others, but generally speaking, they can be interchangeable except when the character's backstory specifically means they have to be a certain race. 
    Are there any black Kryptonians?
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By batman_is_god

It does matter for accuracy's sake. We should have more black characters in comics though, and not ones that are there just to be black. You know the characters I am talking about
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By agent9149

the only time race doesn't matter is if a famous actor is playing them

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bestostero

I think it matters if it contradicts what is considered cannon.  I prefer character races to be as accurate as possible to the comic or whatever.

rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rlmay3
    @Baron_Emo: That's fantastic. It's like a sick Dragonball/My Little Pony Mash-up, but what the heck would Saiyan horses turn into?? Monkey-horses??
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#63  Edited By GothamRed

I don't think the issue is race, I just think that people hate to see differences in the stories they've grown attached to.  I mean people react that way even when race isn't in place, people with just naturally shun the different.  To me it personally doesn't matter, it just may seem a bit off.

Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By comicbikerscott

it does and it doesn't depends how obscare a charter is
    logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By logansgirl

I'm Black and I think if a character is White or Black from the beginning they should stay that way.I know that sounds a little mean,but I don't see a character who has been White since the 60's or 70's suddenly become Black.It's weird.I liked Samuel l Jackson as Nick Fury,he was a far sight better than David Hasslehoff.(If you don't remember that,then lucky you)
    But Wolverine has been Canadian since the 70's,He should stay that way.Storm is African,she should stay that way,and Nightcrawler will always be a blue German!
    Changing the race only works well if the character is not well known anyway.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By EisforExtinction

I think it depends more on the actor than the character. For example I think Donald Glover would have been a great Spider-Man because he's a nerdy dude who you can end up getting behind. Bow Wow on the other hand would be TERRIBLE. 
    Samuel L Jackson works as Nick Fury because he's a commanding, no nonsense guy. Cuba Gooding Jr. WOULD NOT work.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Yumulu

It seems to matters a lot to people that want a carbon copy of the comic book

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Darkchild

terry crews should pl@y someone hed be perfect for SD

darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By darth bul

it does not matter
    TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TadThuggish

" All-in-all, Duncan's portrayal of Daredevil's nemesis was probably the best thing to come out of that movie. He wasn't "Black Kingpin." He was Kingpin."  This phrase is the most accurate! 

Anyone of any race can play Green Lantern or Kingpin or Spider-Man, as long as they have the general personality down.  There'd be nothing wrong with a white Blade. 

At the same time, occasionally there will be characters whose race is a part of their story.  You can't make Ryan Reynolds into Luke Cage, because part of Cage's existence and importance is that he's a representative of the black community and struggle.  If stuff like "shade of dude's skin" is not a plot point, creators should have free reign to color however they feel like.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71  Edited By ComicCrazy

YES!!!!!!!! Definitely let Terry Crews play everyone. As for the whole race matter meh I don't know. Some things work some don't.
    SystemID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By SystemID

It ain't easy!! BEIN CHEESSSSY!!!!

Omg, I love TC.
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By -Vigil-

I don't think race really matters at all, so long as they don't try to change the characters to fit a racial stereotype. Donald Glover would be a great Spider-Man, Vin Diesel would be a great Luke Cage, etc.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By greenenvy

It does matter only because I feel better or comfortable with the actual original look cause it just would feel weird. 

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By greenenvy

It does matter only because I feel better or comfortable with the actual original look cause it just would feel weird. 

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By SuperXAsh

Well that's what you get from the misinformed mainstream audience. If they had actually looked this crap up on the internet, they'd find it out in a hurry. There's plenty of black superheroes, just sadly very few that are known mainstream. 

But again, on the subject, it kinda does matter with certain superheroes. I wouldn't have cried foul too much (despite being a Hal fan) if they HAD chosen to use John Stewart instead. Because I know what the GL Corps is, and the likelihood of seeing Hal, Kyle or Guy would've been pretty high. THAT and the comicbooks made this kinda thing work out. By the time John was running around in the GL tights, it was pretty crystal clear that there is no ONE Green Lantern. BUT if they had just suddenly (as in next issue) acted like Hal Jordan didn't exist and John Stewart was ALWAYS the Green Lantern, then there would've been problems with the fanbase. But most fans understood that being a Lantern was like being on a police force, so it didn't matter. GRANTED it took a while for people to find a good personality for Stewart. >.>;;; 

Then there's Ultimate Nick Fury, which worked due to the concept (ultimate comics, thus a seperate universe) AND to the excellent writing. He was also used a bit more in other media, (games, tv shows, etc.) so it kinda tested the waters that way. So nobody really batted an eye when suddenly Sam Jackson appeared as Nick Fury.

But with guys like Spider-man or Superman?? Sorry, that's just not gonna really work. It'd be... WEIRD. Like if they made a Shaft movie where he's white. It'd come across as something done through executive meddling and/or producers. 

If people are THAT starved for such heroes, then why aren't comic book companies pushing ethnic superheroes more? Why not bring guys like Luke Cage, Black Panther, Icon, Black Lightning, Static, etc. etc. to the forefront?

Joe_E_Nigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Joe_E_Nigma

people think i'm joking when i say i think Will Smith would be a great Superman. WHY YOU HATIN?!!!

Roter_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 1

#78  Edited By Roter_Sand

Some people can pull it off, (Sam Jackson's Fury didn't phase me at all) but I think that it generally just works better all-around to have actors that are the same race as the character they portray, especially with well-established characters such as GL.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Band Lone

I was down for the whole pimp'd Spider-man

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By cascadeking09

I lmfao when I read the quote. Some I idiot thought he was sayin somethin intellegent when he said marvel screwed up.

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#81  Edited By HaHaManHV

I feel like it's best if a characters race stays the same as in the comics it's rooted from, however I do think there needs to be greater diversity in quality characters of various races

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @GothamRed said:
    " I don't think the issue is race, I just think that people hate to see differences in the stories they've grown attached to.  I mean people react that way even when race isn't in place, people with just naturally shun the different.  To me it personally doesn't matter, it just may seem a bit off. "
    Yeah, this seems about it. The main issue is the change. It's kinda like what everyone here is doing right now. The whole "why change something that's already been established" thing. To the non-comic reading world, Green Lantern was established as a black guy, so naturally, they're gonna think "whoa, why'd they change him white?" And since the whole white/black thing's so embedded in everyone's psyche it seems, the next thing that's gonna come to mind is "racist."
    Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Brickabrack

This is why I had such a problem with them using John as the cartoon green lantern instead of Hal. Exactly because of this reaction when a movie came out. Hal was the first Lantern, and he should have been used. Now the general public is confused. I don't even like Hal Jordan, my favorite lantern is Kyle, but for a movie or cartoon, Hal is the only choice in my mind. At least to begin with.

Look, I don't care what race a character is, as long as once the race of the hero is determined, they stay that race for good. Steel is black. Storm is Black. How would people take it if suddenly a movie came out and Storm was suddenly white played by Megan Fox or whatever 'IT' girl was hot at the time? What if Steel was played by a Japanese guy? I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty pissed off.  

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DarkSyde79

As a Black man, it’s generally a good thing to see a bit of color added to any film or television series. I grew up with Hal Jordan (my favorite character as a child) as the Green Lantern (Super Friends) and collected many GL related comics, including Green Lantern: Mosaic featuring John Stewart. With that said, I believe in keeping to the general spirit of the source material, making changes where appropriate. John Stewart being the first human GL wouldn’t have kept to that spirit. For those who want to compare it to Sam Jackson as Nick Fury; Marvel choose to use another incarnation of the same character from a popular line of comics (I wouldn’t mind them running with the Asian version of the Wasp also). I had more issues with adaptations of materials like Spawn and (although not a comic) Avatar: The Last Airbender because the reasoning they gave for changing to racial makeup of the cast was to add more “crossover” appeal, which meant changing minority characters white when if the opposite happens, that reasoning is never used. 

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Static Shock

Race does matter. I don't want to see Denzel Washington playing Clark Kent. It's very simple.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#86  Edited By TheMess1428

I'm surprised that Nick Fury wasn't mentioned in this article. I think it depends on the character really. Let's say you do a Deadpool movie where he never shows his face. Does it matter who is under the mask? No. And most likely he will be some random no name buff guy and be dubbed by a popular actor. Kinda like Power Rangers. But I hate that response about Green Lantern just as much as any Green Lantern fan. But my first Green Lantern memory was of reruns of the Super Friends show where Green Lantern, Firestorm, and Cyborg appeared. I knew who Hal Jordan was. I remember watching JUSTICE LEAGUE for the first time and was shocked he was black. But then again, I was like 12. I was also shocked that Wonder Woman could fly and that Aquaman wasn't a member. And when I saw him, I was shocked that he had no hand, long hair, and a beard. (This was before I read comics). But after Teen Titans hit the scene, I came across a Teen Titans comic book and decided to start collecting comics and find out all the history of DC Comics and their characters. So now I'm like a resident expert on DC in my own little world. So yeah, maybe they should stick to the correct portrayal. But getting mad that Green Lantern is white before realizing there are 7202 different Green Lanterns in the known universe, is just plain stupid.

Greyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Greyed

OBV, YES!!!!!!! Look @ da latest Catwoman movie w/ Hale Berry

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#88  Edited By Silkcuts

Because of all the bad movies and tv shows over the years, those "adaptations" should be seen as only films "inspired" and if this change makes that version better, amen.  Like Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@DarkSyde79 said:
    "

As a Black man, it’s generally a good thing to see a bit of color added to any film or television series. I grew up with Hal Jordan (my favorite character as a child) as the Green Lantern (Super Friends) and collected many GL related comics, including Green Lantern: Mosaic featuring John Stewart. With that said, I believe in keeping to the general spirit of the source material, making changes where appropriate. John Stewart being the first human GL wouldn’t have kept to that spirit. For those who want to compare it to Sam Jackson as Nick Fury; Marvel choose to use another incarnation of the same character from a popular line of comics (I wouldn’t mind them running with the Asian version of the Wasp also). I had more issues with adaptations of materials like Spawn and (although not a comic) Avatar: The Last Airbender because the reasoning they gave for changing to racial makeup of the cast was to add more “crossover” appeal, which meant changing minority characters white when if the opposite happens, that reasoning is never used. 

"
    Actually I think Kyle Rayner was the first human Green Lantern in the DCAU. I don't think we really knew who became a Green Lantern First, but Kyle Rayner was introduced into the DCAU well before John Stewart was. 
    Woot to Mosaic though. 
    Personally considering how long each of them has been around, we're at a point where they should basically be interchangeable. Sure Hal came first in the comics, but who cares? Any one of them could fill the role of 'Green Lantern' in an adaption, it all comes down to who the creator prefers. At this point in comics, who came first is irrelevant. There's 4 human Green Lanterns, each one with their own various personality traits and quirks.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Eyz

They can't even really remember the cartoon properly since we saw plenty of other Green Lantern corps members, showing there wasn't only 1 guy, plus Kyle and Hal did appear at some points. (Hal with that dimensions-plot-thingie)

And there's plenty of other great black Superheroes that need a movie adaptation (Black Panther, Statix...), before having to adapt live John Stweart (who's a far better GL-Justice League character, meaning, in a JL comic/movie/cartoon I prefer to have John over Hal anyway)

tobiasPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91  Edited By tobiasPUNK

it bothers me alot that they change the races of characters...catwoman is white not black! saying that though i think there should be more of a variety of races in comics.

Switchdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Switchdoctor

Kirsten Dunst should play Storm in the new X-Men movie that's being made.

SpiderMew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SpiderMew

What annoys me the most is when people cant tell the difference between DC and Marvel.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NightFang3
    @SpiderMew said:

"What annoys me the most is when people cant tell the difference between DC and Marvel."

Amen to that!
    Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Planewalker

The green lantern i knew was Kyle Rayner so for me this is not a issue I guess I was pissed when the started bring dead lanterns back like Hal

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#96  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @SpiderMew said:
    " What annoys me the most is when people cant tell the difference between DC and Marvel. "
    TTTHIIIIISSSSSSS
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#97  Edited By Mighty Thorion

We cannot separate this issue from the history of comics, the history of how black (or for that matter Asian) people have been portrayed in comics, or from American history itself. I stand to be corrected, but I cannot remember any non - white super heroes before the late 1960's. At that time, as American attitudes were starting to change towards black people, Marvel introduced some positive black role models in the shape of Black Panther in Avengers, and Joe Robertson in Spider-man. As the 60's rolled into the 70's, the "big two" introduced more positive Black role models with the likes of Jon Stewart, Luke Cage & Black Lightning.  
    If we are talking about how heroes are portrayed in today's movies, then because most Silver Age heroes (and that's when most major characters had their origins) were white, then remaining true to the initial series may mean it is important to some to cast a white actor in the lead role. 
    However, depending upon how true the movie wants to stay to the comics or what kind of time span the movie is aiming to cover, then there would be no reason not to include some of the characters who were perhaps developed over the following decades, whatever the colour of their skin. 
    Perhaps one of the "balancing act" difficulties casting crews face is the clamour to be as close to the original comics, while recognising that many comic readers see newer versions of old heroes as the norm - and in some cases (as Jon Stewart) that means for some a black hero is the one they relate to more than the previous incumbent whose skin (because of the age in which he was developed) was white.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By brc2000

At the risk of sounding offensive, I think the race does matter. I'd just prefer it if movies tried to portray their characters as closely as possible to their comic book counterparts and not change it just for the sake of it, unless they really can't find someone to play the part properly. I'm sorry, but I don't want to see an Asian Riddler, a Hispanic Shang Chi, an African Strong Guy or a Caucasian Black Lightning. Thought mostly it's only down to how they look. A white guy could easily play a Jewish or Arab character and vise versa, similarly a fair skinned Mexican or Indian can play a white guy with no problems.

It's funny that it's only the white characters who are acceptable to be played by other races, but no one would ever think of casting a white Shang Chi, Blade, Luke Cage, etc.

blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By blaakmawf

It is a bit jarring at first, but if they do a good job, why not?

thedez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By thedez

Think about it, most superhereos of color are B and C level (not part of the main roster even if they have their own books).  Luke Cage wasn't a regular Avenger and Black Lightning wasn't a Regular Justice Leaguer.  Most non comicbook readers probably know very little if anything about them anyways.  Having a mainstream superhero is important.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.