Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

can green lantern create Kryptonite?

darkningdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkningdawn

darkningdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkningdawn

I never knew that,Supeman better hope Sinestro can't create Gold Kryptonite then.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ComicCrazy

Awesome I always thought about this question before but I never really thought he could.
    Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

yes

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By dane

a Green Lantern can create anything if they have enough willpower.

Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Seeing as how DC Comics Presents #26  was 30 years ago (pre-Crisis), do you still think that's an ability the Green Lanterns have today?  And if it is, one would wonder why they're able to imitate the effects of kryptonite.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AtPhantom
    @ASKwhy said:
    " Seeing as how DC Comics Presents #26  was 30 years ago (pre-Crisis), do you still think that's an ability the Green Lanterns have today?  And if it is, one would wonder why they're able to imitate the effects of kryptonite. "
    Officially, they should be able to replicate kryptonite, but since Geoff Johns took over GL title, there has been some unspoken agreement that they can't do that anymore, and indeed, lanterns have generally been NERFed since Rebirth. I like to think they can do it, they're just not showing it.

As for why, it's simple: the ring can do anything, so long as the wielder has the willpower to do it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

eh, knowing the Guardians, there's probably an ulterior motive in there somewhere.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I didnt know they could do that

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

makes sense. all theyre doing is creating a mineral that exists in their universe.
    not tough for a Lantern.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By reactor

One of the signature abilities of the GL ring is the ability to simulate any form of energy, from the fundamental forces of electromagnetism and gravity, to the common forms of heat and electricity, to the exotic forms of hard light and concussive energy, to the traditional energies of the electromagnetic spectrum.

That includes simulating Kryptonite radiation. The versility of the Power Rings are immense. There's a reason they're considered to arguably be the greatest weapon in the universe.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Reactor: perfectly put. i should correct myself in saying simulating not creating persay.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By speedlgt

yes they can and it doesnt matter!  GL fans dont go thinking they have a chance against superman ..........a thought based weapon against a guy whos 200 times faster than a thought! BAM! case closed.

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Emerald Warrior
    @speedlgt said:
    " yes they can and it doesnt matter!  GL fans dont go thinking they have a chance against superman ..........a thought based weapon against a guy whos 200 times faster than a thought! BAM! case closed. "
    Well, the ring protects the wielder automatically so... I accept your premise, but TOTALLY reject your conclusion! =P
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

watch for that coming soon those who have read green lantern 50 hal jordan isnt himself these days,,,,,,
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

watch for that coming soon those who have read green lantern 50 hal jordan isnt himself these days,,,,,,
    TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBatman586
    @darkningdawn said:
    "
        "
    I have this very issue.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kadeem

As far as I know they have never specifically said that the CL Corps rings don't have the ability to create kryptonite.  Even if they can't Alan Scott's ring can.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jotham
    @ASKwhy said:
    " Seeing as how DC Comics Presents #26  was 30 years ago (pre-Crisis), do you still think that's an ability the Green Lanterns have today?  And if it is, one would wonder why they're able to imitate the effects of kryptonite. "
    It also happened recently, I believe in "Green Lantern: Legacy". I'm not sure whether that's in canon or not, though.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MKF30

Since it's possible for a GL to create green K, shouldn't they be able to create anything which would technically in a way make them able to twart off anyone just about?

Roman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Roman

interesting I never knew that they could duplicate kryptonite radiation but is it as strong as the real thing or is it weaker ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

So if A Green Lantern can create Kryptonite, can a Sinestro Lantern create yellow sunlight?

g_mort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By g_mort

Here's my two cents: A Green Lantern ring creates constructs made of green ENERGY, not matter-based items; therefore the rings should not be able to synthesize actual kryptonite... however (as referenced in other posts) the rings, being receptacles of energy, and the most powerful weapons in the universe, should by all accounts be capable of replicating the unique and specific energy signature of kryptonite, assuming the ring and the bearer have knowledge of what the properties of kryptonite radiation actually are. 

Kyle Rayner did this in a Superman story from back in 1998, I believe, although I never had the chance to read the conclusion of that story. 

Being that the rings are so powerful, I theorize that an accomplished Green Lantern may, with enough skill and willpower (and knowledge of complex nuclear physics!!!), be able to use the ring's power to alter the sub-atomic structure of any matter and turn it into any other kind of matter they so desire; such as rocks into gold, or steel into kryptonite etc. but this would take some time to master, possibly. But, hey, if Firestorm can do it....!

In a Green Lantern story from about 2002, Kyle mentioned that he could split atoms with his ring. 

I also theorize that throughout the publication of these kinds of stories, many writers and fans ASSUME that Green Lanterns can easily create kryptonite simply because it's green and so is the power of the ring, but this then just becomes a plot device to bring the two characters together for a good old mash-up. Remember, Green Lantern rings create ENERGY constructs, not MATTER. 

Side note: Superman may well have the advantage in a fight... In JLA: The Nail, Hal Jordan was easily wounded in a battle with Bizarro drones. In Superman: Red Son, even a team of Green Lanterns were no match for the "faster-than-thought" Superman. Still doesn't explain how, during the Sinestro Corps War, Superboy-Prime was able to so easily trounce new Ion Sodam Yat, who has a Green Lantern ring AND has the power of Ion AND is a Daxamite with the same powers as Kryptonians..!!!

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Primmaster64

Can they still can?

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theicon
    @Primmaster64: doubtful, havent seen them do it
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @primepower53 said:

So if A Green Lantern can create Kryptonite, can a Sinestro Lantern create yellow sunlight?

Colour is irrelevant,if a ring is capable of emitting K-nite these days then Sinestro can use green K-nite despite the yellow constructs.
    Avatar image for theblackestnight
    TheBlackestNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBlackestNight

@ComicCrazy: Yeah same here

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Adnan

@Dane said:

a Green Lantern can create anything if they have enough willpower.

Does this mean that they can create food? I assume the moment they stop concentrating, it disappears, but is it technically possible to create, eat, and digest GL-made food, as long as the Lantern keeps his concentration throughout the process?

AtraCruor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AtraCruor

The nail and Red Son are both Elseworlds so they don't count, and Green Lanterns can still have shields to increase their durability as well as using the energy itself to make their bodies stronger. As for SBP vs Sodam Yat, Sodam is just a Daxamite ( Diet Kryptonian), had just gotten his powers and therefore had no idea what it was he could do, and was also a complete arrogant bastard that thought it smart to just fist fight Prime for the most part instead of using everything in his arsenal. Prime also impaled him with lead reactor rods and lead is to Daxamites like Kryptonite is to Kryptonians except they are perma-screwed after exposure, furthering their stats as D.K.'s.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Billy Batson

yes.
    BB

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BatteredArmor

I thought they lost that power

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Hector

@darkningdawn said:

I think you answered you're own question...

batfan1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batfan1939

@g_mort: Sry, but wouldn't the RING need knowledge of nuclear physics? The Lanerns make guns and planes and stuff without understanding them, and I'm sure none of Earth's lanterns are physicists who know the intricacies of electromagnetism or thermodynamics well enough to replicate them. Also, the ring would only need to know enough about kryptonians to SIMULATE kryptonite irradiation; there's no need to actually use the exact wavelengths emitted by the rock -- considering that high-end (well, middle-of-the-line for comics) Earth science can duplicate kryptonite after enough scanning, I see no reason for the Guardians (or the rings they made) not to be cable to cook up something just as effective on-the-spot -- especially since they probably have enough records to figure out how kryptonium became krptonite (assuming that's still the current theory; I haven't kept up with comics much since "New 52")

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    No Lie I wondered a lot about this, when I was a child. (+)
    Avatar image for jessica_majestic
    Jessica_Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jessica_Majestic

@Omega Ray Jay said:

I didnt know they could do that
    Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By consolemaster001

Wow

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course Green Lanterns can replicate Kryptonite. They've done it pre-crisis, and done similar enough things post crisis.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@jotham said:

@ASKwhy

said:

" Seeing as how DC Comics Presents #26 was 30 years ago (pre-Crisis), do you still think that's an ability the Green Lanterns have today? And if it is, one would wonder why they're able to imitate the effects of kryptonite. "

It also happened recently, I believe in "Green Lantern: Legacy". I'm not sure whether that's in canon or not, though.

if you're talking about The Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan than it probably isnt. shame though. it was one of Hal's best stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.