Follow

H. P. Lovecraft

Person » H. P. Lovecraft is credited in 191 issues.

Iconic author of pulp horror

Can someone explain what Lovecraftian means?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#1  Edited By RazzaTazz

I ran across this term today while researching the kraken.  I understand the author's works (haven't read any of them), so I am curious what this means specifically as to how he writes?

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Delphic

I haven't read any of his works either (though I would love too), but from what I understand is that Lovecraft at his best was a horror/science fiction writer. His works were extremely dark in tone, and always explored a much darker side of humanity. He is known mostly for creating Cthulhu, one of the most notable horrific monsters of all time. He pretty much was the Edgar Allan Poe of the 20th Century.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ms__omega

Using similar themes and a writing style and tone as HP Lovecraft that's what it means. Say for instance if you read some of Lovecraft books then take a look at lets say Steven Kings the Mist the way Steven King describes some of the creatures in the Mist is very similar to how HP Lovecraft described the creatures in his novels. HP would usually give us just enough of a description of what a creature would look like to get a general idea of what something might look like not a full description. He stated in some of his writings that the unknown is more horrifying that what can be seen with the human eye. Many of the creatures he describe lacked a description to be more terrifying. That's what Lovecraftian means to me. :)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

@RazzaTazz: Basically it refers to horror by the unknown as opposed to shock and awe with gore.

The first Alien movie would be Lovecraftian because you don't really know what it is and that causes much of the fear as opposed to the horror of something like Saw which is mostly gore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Delphic@Ms. Omega@Cap10nate:  
    Thanks all! :)
    BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

All of the above! In particular the hint of an almost incomprehensible reality, only thinly veiled beneath our own.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

@RazzaTazz: Horror mixed with themes of dark and ancient cosmic forces, incomprehensible objects and concepts that prove the fragility of sanity--and I suppose if we're being honest--strong themes of racism. Also, as Cthulhu is his most famous creation, anything that visually resembles such is sometimes called Lovecraftian (e.g., the tentacle-faced frog demon things in Hellboy).

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @fodigg: So then a Kraken would fit in as it is an unidentifiable mass of tentacles from the deep I guess?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fodigg

@RazzaTazz said:

@fodigg: So then a Kraken would fit in as it is an unidentifiable mass of tentacles from the deep I guess?

Depends on how it's portrayed, but you're definitely in the right visual zone. In the recent New Mutants arc where Doug Ramsey's brain is invaded by an extra-dimensional squid-starfish thing from space? That was Lovecraftian. When Marvel Cosmic had the Rift following the War of Kings where incomprehensible horrors spewed out of it, that was Lovecraftian (especially the figures of the cancerverse). In Watchmen, when a psychic squid (apparently) from space teleports into New York and lets out a psychic wail composed entirely of imagery composed by the world's foremost in horror and it kills or drives insane every psychic on Earth while simultaneously incinerating the city and all its inhabitants, that was about as Lovecraftian as you can get without ancient tentacle-faced space gods and babbling cultists being involved.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @fodigg: So just on a related topic, he wrote himself into a lot of his own works right?  So that is also Lovecraftian or not so much?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fodigg

@RazzaTazz said:

@fodigg: So just on a related topic, he wrote himself into a lot of his own works right? So that is also Lovecraftian or not so much?

Not really. That's an interesting bit of trivia but it's no more iconic to Lovecraft than it was to Poe, Burroughs, or Hitchcock. Writers have been doing that since and before Dante wrote his Divine Comedy.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @fodigg: Ah good stuff.  Thanks for the clarification.  
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @RazzaTazz said:
    lol, Im reading him right now. Unidentifiable and indescribable, and variations of those 2 words, are Lovecraft's favorite .
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Metatron_Da_Don: What are you reading?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

Really, really f**ked up.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Rumble Man

Eldtrich Abomination-y

Indescribable

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @RazzaTazz: the public domain collection by ChtuluChick. I've made it through the 1st 100 pages. And reading a lot of his stuff, I kept saying,  "wow this guy is an ___hole." 
    he went out of his way to use obscure language (like the anti-Mark Twain); and a lot of his books give off an air of racist white aristocrat in love with his heritage.

Dude was insecure and suffered from nightmares his whole life. Delusions of grandeur abound he produced some damnably racist prose. Racism alert >>>

All faults aside he was a very studious man, and I think is a master of the English vocabulary. I increased my vocabulary a lot skimming his work, and I'm only one-seventh of the way done.  I want to complete it to get a better grasp on the different levels of English.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Metatron_Da_Don: That is interesting, because he was used as a fictional character in the series Call of Wonderland and he was made a protector of the Earthly realm.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.