Follow

Gwen Stacy

Character » Gwen Stacy appears in 1592 issues.

Gwen Stacy was the first true love of Peter Parker. She's best known for her tragic death by being thrown off from the Brooklyn Bridge by the Green Goblin. The Earth-65 version is Spider-Gwen who is a major player in the Spider family.

Gwen Stacy back to life?

UltraHeroix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By UltraHeroix

Do you think if the new movie is such a big hit that they could bring Gwen Stacy back to life. I wouldn't put anything past them since they brought back Bucky (for the longest time it was law that Bucky stays dead) also when Pete made the deal with Mephisto and undid the whole marriage.  So, I'm looking at most of the milestone deaths and they nearly bought back everyone. Another example is  Jason Todd  came back, Barry Allen, Steve Rogers. 

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Icon

It's possible, but she is far more meaningful/relevant to Pete dead than alive. She is in Ultimate Spider-Man though so we do have her back in one sense. 

They are probably going to set up the Death of the Stacey's in the films.
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Death Certificate

Short answer: NO

Longer version: Even if the movie is a big hit(Which hope it will) that doesn't mean Gwen has the right to come back to life. Not to mention of how bad it screw up the main comic cannon.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Not a chance. If they didn't bring her back after OMD, she aint coming back any time soon.

Maybe in another ten years or so.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Primmaster64

Nope...she's one of those charcters that stay dead.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ngroove

After Gwen Stacy, who's next, Uncle Benjamin Parker?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By Deadcool

I don't think so, Ultimate Universe owns his own Gwen Stacy and Marvel Adventures has her own too, there is no reason to bring her back in th Universe 616.
    ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ngroove

Instead; how about another option; her clone?   Hey, Kaine has been back, Ben Reilly has been re-brought up, why not her? 

Last seen, some near-sixteen years back; she just walked away; not die; in other words, she's good to pull outta limbo anytime, whenever someone's ready to do so.

As long as they won't kill her clone either; sooooooooo sick of the fact, no matter what Universe, incarnation, she has to die.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By -Eclipse-

Bucky was different, yes his death was important to Captain America's history, but he was a sidekick, a fellow superhero. He was brought back to life by Brubaker in order to eventually take on the role of his mentor.

Why would someone bring Gwen back to life? She's not a superhero, she's Pete's old girlfriend. What's the point of bringing back a former love interest? So she can be Pete's girlfriend? What if they break up, will she get killed again? It'd be like bringing back Yinsen, the dude who helped Tony Stark build his suit. He wouldn't really serve any role important enough to justify him coming back to life.

One thing you'll notice about comics is that while heroes and villains get resurrected once a week, it's rare to see a member of a character's civilian supporting cast get ressurected. Harry Osborn is the only example that springs to mind, but he was formly a Green Goblin and was turned into American Son (for a while) post-ressurection. Followers of ASM will recall the recent death of a character from Spidey's comic. I'd be willing to bet that this character never comes back from the dead.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Rudyftw

They might not bring her back, but that doesn't mean they won't try to milk the movie by releasing a prelude of some sort relating to the movie... D.C does it alot, and Marvel's doing the same thing for Captain America.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ARMIV

They'd better not. Her death was one of the few that actually meant something in comics, and already they've tarnished that up the wah-zoo.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i dont know how id feel about that
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -Eclipse-

As long as Dan Slott is still writing when the movie comes out, I don't think we have anything to worry about. I trust Dan, he's one of Marvel's best, imo.

Then again, Brubaker clearly got pressured into turning Steve back into Captain America early and just chucking Bucky into Russia, so you never know...

EDIT: Remember guys, this movie isn't being made by Marvel. So odds are, they're going to pretend this movie doesn't exist, in the hopes it'll fail and they'll get their Spider-rights back.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Nope. She should stay in the ground. Harry Osborn was a different case. It was pretty interesting seeing him come back. I rather her alive in the Ultimate universe

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @Duo_forbidden said:
    "Nope. She should stay in the ground. Harry Osborn was different case. It was pretty interesting seeing him come back. I rather her alive in the Ultimate universe "

I agree. All that stuff with Norman in the Brand New Day storylines (like New Ways to Die, etc.) wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if Harry wasn't involved. And we wouldn't even have had American Son.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @-Eclipse- said:
    "

Bucky was different, yes his death was important to Captain America's history, but he was a sidekick, a fellow superhero. He was brought back to life by Brubaker in order to eventually take on the role of his mentor."

Bucky's was killed off because Stan Lee hated sidekicks and couldn't think of anything else to did with him and simply killed him off. Brubaker took what was lazy writing and turned it into something that has made the character into a fan favorite among many readers (including myself).

Gwen's death was well thought out and effected Peter's life in so many ways, plus it shows anyone who thinks Peter is paranoid about revealing his identity, because Gwen's death was a direct result of Green Goblin knowing who he was. It opened many new doors for Peter's character and lead to all of those stories with MJ that we would have never saw if Gwen was alive.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

Gwen just can't be brought back. Just like Uncle Ben, she'll be gone forever. 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Isn't her clone still wandering around somewhere? O_o

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rudyftw
    @War Killer said:
    " Isn't her clone still wandering around somewhere? O_o "
    I almost forgot about the clone..... 
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

No. Her death has been way too significant. It would truly be a shame if she were to come back. I liked Gwen Stacy too, a lot, but her death should stay meaningful. I believe that writers know this and thus wouldn't change it. The same reason Uncle Ben should stay dead. As well as Bruce Wayne 's parents etc.

MoodyKingMoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21  Edited By MoodyKingMoron

no. it's a major part of Spidey's character development and the idea has been toyed with far too much. The entire High Evolutionary nonsense plus the rotten core of the Clone Saga put me off from any revivals for Gwen. I didn't mind the Ultimate Gwen as much but then again, her revival was well executed. 

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By zombietag

yeah shes probably not coming back. especially if slotts in charge of the spideyverse for now (or at least, for the most part).

but i could see marvel doing this and they might even be able to do a good job, but everyone and their mom knows the fans would hate it with a passion so it probably wont happen. besides, shes got that whole secret affair with norman thing (which i hate, i try to pretend that was never written), so that might make things a little tough for pete and his friends
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ironshadow

Isn't there a Gwen clone out there somewhere, they could just have her show up in the comics and besides Ultimate Gwen is still alive so dead Gwen will just stay dead.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

I hope not. I HATE Gwen Stacy.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Billy Batson

Nah She should stay dead.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    She should stay dead.
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By moywar700

considering how marvel wants 616 to be more like the movies(nick fury's son, I wouldn't be surprised if she was brought back to life during the course of the spider-man reboot trilogy.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By X9

It'd be more realistic/dense if she stayed dead. However, I wouldn't mind if she came back to life.

I think she was a nice character and could still be part of interesting story arcs.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By moywar700

I think Gwen Stacy should come back to life but with a sad ending. Here's how I would want it to happened.Peter goes to his former high school and see's a student that looks extremely similar to Gwen Stacy.Peter goes up to her and tries to talk to her but she denies everything and she's not Gwen Stacy. Peter goes to her graveyard and finds out her body is missing.Peter goes back to high school so she can talk to the girl who looks like Gwen Stacy one last final time but she says "things change" and she isn't the girl she knew.So the girl was looks like Gwen Stacy implies that she really was her.Peter is sad and that moves on with his life and leave his past.Gwen Stacy was actually brought back to life by the phoenix force(the readers aren't suppose to know that) but she doesn't want to anything to do with spider-man anymore and wants to live a happy free life and she is very happy being back at school.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Funrush

I would personally hate it, but knowing how Marvel likes to incorporate the movies into the comics (Hawkeye's costume, Nick Fury Jr.) I can imagine it.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Madame_Mist

If they bought her back she will be just another love interest. She's more meaningful dead than alive.

shadowtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shadowtaker

gwen should stay dead just like uncle ben

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moywar700 said:

I think Gwen Stacy should come back to life but with a sad ending. Here's how I would want it to happened.Peter goes to his former high school and see's a student that looks extremely similar to Gwen Stacy.Peter goes up to her and tries to talk to her but she denies everything and she's not Gwen Stacy. Peter goes to her graveyard and finds out her body is missing.Peter goes back to high school so she can talk to the girl who looks like Gwen Stacy one last final time but she says "things change" and she isn't the girl she knew.So the girl was looks like Gwen Stacy implies that she really was her.Peter is sad and that moves on with his life and leave his past.Gwen Stacy was actually brought back to life by the phoenix force(the readers aren't suppose to know that) but she doesn't want to anything to do with spider-man anymore and wants to live a happy free life and she is very happy being back at school.

It would provide closure, anyway.
    acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By acer51
    @MoodyKingMoron said:

no. it's a major part of Spidey's character development and the idea has been toyed with far too much. The entire High Evolutionary nonsense plus the rotten core of the Clone Saga put me off from any revivals for Gwen. I didn't mind the Ultimate Gwen as much but then again, her revival was well executed. 

Well said, Gwen is a character who should stay dead, not because we dislike her, but because her death was so artfully tragic that we do not want the art to be ruined.
    Avatar image for kamrincdisandro
    KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the question. What is more likely to be undone the Death of Gwen Stacy or One More Day?

Avatar image for kamrincdisandro
    KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to be a guy who says yes or no, so how about a compromise. I will talk about a two sided perspective one that both make sense and is a fair argument to say. What I can say 100% confidence is that it is not up to us, it is up to Marvel if they want to bring Gwen Stacy back or not.

Let's first talk about why it would be good to bring Gwen Stacy back.

Reason #1. It's a comic: keep in mind guys characters in MARVEL have died in the past, and some how come back no trouble at all, remember when Kamala Khan was killed off, and then she is brought back and I think she is now currently dating Miles Morales. Now admittingly it does beg the question if they can bring back Gwen why not bring back Uncle Ben while there at it. Personally I can not answer that question, I can make guess like oh but Gwen is more important to him, but I can't because that's is no clear answer.

Reason #2. Gwen is Peter's True Love. Let's remember something guys Gwen has always been Peter's true love the one he still cares about the one that is the most important, and I will say her death was even more heart broken for Peter then when he lost Uncle Ben but keep in mind Liz Allen, Betty Brant, Mary Jane, Felicia Hardy A.K.A. The Black Cat, Carlie Cooper, and Silk A.K.A. Cindy Moon there all rebounds. Peter wouldn't be with them if Gwen was still alive. Even Mary Jane admitted in the comics, "I was the party girl always getting into trouble, and then there was Gwen Stacy and she was perfect I'm not exaggerating she was." She even asked Black Cat this, "Had you ever had to live up to the memory of a dead girl." This reveals two things one she knows Peter never recalled moved on from Gwen's death, and two she knows she was only the rebound.

Reason #3. Gwen would help Peter become both a better. Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Ok so here is the thing Mary Jane clearly prefers Peter as Peter trying to make Peter as a better Peter, and Black Cat clearly prefers Spider-Man as Spider-Man trying to make Spider-Man as a better Spider-Man. Now here is the thing Spider-Man/Peter Parker are not like one over the other they are one person the point was always Peter trying to balance his normal everyday live while being the spectacular Superhero, but not a lot of the love interest gave him that. Maybe if marvel creates a new one that is also a superhero like him, but Gwen could be the one that keeps him balanced like I could see Gwen convinced Peter to get rid of the black suit, also she would totally convince Peter not to reveal his identity to the world during civil war, and she definitely wouldn't let Peter sell his marriage to Mephisto.

Now here is the thing yes there are some good reasons why MARVEL should not bring back Gwen Stacy.

Reason #-1. Fixed Death. So here is the thing Gwen's death as well as Uncle Ben, Peter's Parents, and George Stacy's deaths are fixed points they have to happen to make Peter a better a better person. Bringing Gwen back could undo it, I feel like Gwen had to die to help Peter get better, and it also helps Peter learn what he does,. I always had a theory that even though she is dead she is still inspiring Peter to keep going as Spider-Man, but it's clear as day to that extent, if Gwen came back he would probably quit after he got married to her.

Reason #2. The fate of Spider-Gwen. Ok so if Marvel brings back Gwen Stacy, what becomes of Spider-Gwen, sure she could stick around, but she couldn't be in 616 anymore, also here is the thing the reason Gwen has become popular is because of Spider-Gwen and not the original Gwen most people have to remeber before Spider-Gwen all people remeber of Gwen Stacy. Oh the girl who died, and that's it Spider-Gwen is success wise the better Gwen Stacy than the original one.

Reason #3. It's kinda too late: Think about it, Gwen's Death was age wise 8 years since Gwen's death and during a storyline where Peter was judged by an Eternel. His judge was Gwen Stacy and she was aloud to be brought back and she admitted Peter gotten old while Gwen stayed the same. They would have to have Peter and Gwen be the same age for it to be a little better. Which is admittingly really hard to do. Maybe if say the one more day storyline instead of made it from Peter misses the wedding to Peter is marrying Gwen instead then that would be different.

In my opinion it really depends on you guys for me I would like it just so Peter can be in a better relationship then just being tossed between this character and that character, but on the other I just say maybe Peter should be with another superhero instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.