Follow

Guardians of the Universe

Team » Guardians of the Universe appears in 784 issues.

A race of immensely powerful immortals living on Oa, the planet at the center of the universe, who founded and run the Green Lantern Corps.

Smurfs and intergalactic "Wonder Women"?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

re-read issue 223 last night. It re-tells the origin of the Guardians. I'm starting to think maybe they aren't as good intentioned as we think.

in the issue there's a passage that reads...

"..and a small group of mentally advanced Oans, who had devoted their lives to the cause of justice turned their thoughts to living agents... but this small group was uniformly male..."

here's the part that got me:

"...and the women (zamarons) and children of OA(the children of the white lobe?!!?)... as well as males whose interests lay elsewhere, grew increasingly estranged from them...."

it set me to wondering if the masters of the other colored batteries could be other factions of Oans who disagreed with the Guardians point of view. In the issue I got a feeling the Guardians were zealots so focused on justice/order in the universe they kinda lost themselves and their connection to other Maltusians.

It wouldn't take much for them to be portrayed as some sort of fanatics in their beliefs who do what they think is right no matter what the repercussions in their pursuit of justice/order in the universe.

we have been regaled with tales of various Malthusian offshoots for years now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again, though if so, I expect it to contradict much of what has been previously established on that score.

I'm thinking of:

Zamarons

Controllers

Krona

the family from Ganthet's Tale (I'm not even going to TRY to spell those folks' names without the comic in front of me)

Percival's race (also from Ganthet's Tale)

The evil folks that were locked away in another dimension in "JLA: Gatekeeper" (a truly putrid miniseries from a while back)

and of course, the Malthusians that still remain on Malthus

There was no Oans or Oan-splinters behind the Sinestro/Yellow Lantern Corps, but Sinestro ties into the GL's pretty well. Plus there is a connection between Monty and Krona, and in CoIE where the Guardians were taken out of commission. So not completely unrelated if you reach a little bit.

In the 1980s, at the end of volume 2 and after Crisis... The Guardians (who were all men) left the universe to be with the Zamoran race and have children.

We even saw this during one of the crappy Millennium crossovers.

I see that cover and I imagine Hal screaming at Clark, "Get off my kool-aid, boyscout!"

Superman and Hal located the Guardians....as we saw the short bald blue guys floating naked with hot tall naked Zamorans (who had the bigger mid life Crisis, Engelhart or Byrne, is up in the air)

Still the Guardians were off there making babies. 2 returned for Millennium to set up the NEW GUARDIANS.

The Guardians did return in volume 3 when Hal called for help when the Old Timer went insane. And this had repercussions. Still... we never did find out if they finished making babies, this could be another splinter group who are after one of the new Emotional Spectrum Lanterns...

Jesus... mapping the Guardians genepoool is even more of a mess than i originally thought it would be lol

M

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.