Follow

Guardians of the Universe

Team » Guardians of the Universe appears in 784 issues.

A race of immensely powerful immortals living on Oa, the planet at the center of the universe, who founded and run the Green Lantern Corps.

Green Lantern: Beginner's Guide To The Guardians & The Manhunters

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

THE GUARDIANS OF THE UNIVERSE

No Caption Provided

They were once just like humans (albeit blue-skinned ones.) The immortals now called the Guardians lived on a planet called Maltus until one of them, the scientist Krona, mucked with the universe and unleashed a great catastrophe upon the cosmos. In penance, the males of Maltus emigrated to Oa, a planet located at the center of the universe, while the females relocated to Zamora. Transforming over a long period of meditation, the Oans shrunk in stature while their craniums grew larger in proportion. As you’d expect, old men with big heads came to value reason over emotion and this cabal of thinkers created the Green Lantern Corps to enforce their agenda of rational justice throughout a known universe they’d divided into 3600 sectors. As the Guardians turned away from emotion, their former mates embraced it and founded their own order of Star Sapphires on Zamora whose violent-hued power was fueled by love in place of willpower.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The Guardians’ willful reason often verges on coldness, and that's spelled ruin for them on numerous occasions. When they stuck to their book of laws and censured Hal Jordan for seemingly-selfish acts he did while mourning his destroyed home town, Coast City, they pushed the grief-stricken hero into the influence of the fear entity, Parallax. The possessed Jordan subsequently murdered the Guardians and almost all the Lanterns for their callous behavior. It would take much effort on the part of Jordan’s successor, Kyle Rayner, for the Guardians to be eventually resurrected and for their power battery to be restored. While the Guardians now count females amongst their ranks, they have tragically forgotten some important lessons they should’ve learned during the ordeal with Parallax. Their stern rewriting and enforcements of their own laws has fostered tensions and disagreements in the Corps that are currently bubbling over in this WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS that’s seen them captured by that old renegade, Krona. While the Gaurdians are due to appear in the forthcoming GREEN LANTERN movie, it’s unlikely that their origins will be broached that deeply.

Suffice it to say, however, they’ll likely still be the frigid disciplinarians who order the GL's around.

THE MANHUNTERS

No Caption Provided

Imagine Dr. Frankenstein’s legendary folly occurring on a galactic scale. Long before they formed the Green Lantern Corps, the Guardians created the Manhunters to serve as their universal peacekeeping agents. These unfeeling machines might’ve seemed like the perfect expression of the Guardians’ ethos of willpower overcoming emotions in the name of justice. However, unthinking automatons are prone to malfunction in a way that living beings aren’t. Not only did the Manhunters become fixated on inflicting punishment instead of preserving peace, a glitch led them to massacre all who dwelled in Space Sector 666 and put events in motion that would lead to the founding of the Red Lantern Corps.

The Guardians started dismantling this creations, but the Manhunters’ self-preservation programming kicked in and they subsequently fled to the planet Biot in Space Sector 3601. This region can’t sustain organic life and is thus beyond the Green Lanterns’ jurisdiction, making it a perfect location for the unloving Manhunters to plot revenge against both their former masters and their replacements. Among the many plots they’ve hatched over the centuries, perhaps the most insidious is their creation of cults on Earth who’ve aided their clandestine infiltration of the human race on several occasions.

Seeing as how a lot of other lore will have to be covered in the GREEN LANTERN movie first, I wouldn’t hold your breath in hope that the Manhunters will show up on screen. I wouldn’t expect them to be mentioned or even alluded to. Luckily, though, GREEN LANTERN is be a multi-media event with several off-shoots covering material that couldn’t be fit into the running time. One of those tie-ins is RISE OF THE MANHUNTERS, a video game that, as you’d guess, sees Hal Jordan and Sinestro pitted against the Corps' mechanical predecessors.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Forget it....This movie was terrible. Post some actual news

Thank You

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Gonna see the movie in about an hour...hopeing I can just enjoy it knowing it is a far cry from what I call Green Lantern. Sigh...here we go.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Timandm

So...The Green Lantern Corp was founded by a group of men who INTENTIONALLY left ALL of the women on their planet and have had nothing to do with them since?

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Golden Cod
    @Timandm said:
    So...The Green Lantern Corp was founded by a group of men who INTENTIONALLY left ALL of the women on their planet and have had nothing to do with them since?

Except there's a messy little in-congruency with how there have been at least 2 female guardians: Sayd and Scar.   Maybe they're hermaphroditic?   That's the explanation for how dinosaurs were able to breed on Jurassic Park despite the fact that only females were raised from incubators.
    Dino_Diablo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dino_Diablo93

Good job on the wrap up. Thanks. I haven't read much Green Lantern stuff, so this definitely helped me better understand what's currently going on.

juniorlhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By juniorlhulk

cmon guys i've seen worst its not that bad if u wanna see it just give it a watch it doesn't suck as bad

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I honestly didn't think the movie was that bad...but this is a good little review into the Maltusians who would eventually become the Guardians.  I like the part about as their minds grew larger their bodies shrunk and eventually they shed emotion.  I originally was going to suggest that maybe a big inspiration behind their conception was the Vulcan race according to Gene Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek until I saw that the show had not even started on the air until 1966, whereas the Guardians made their first appearance in GL #1 in 1960.  So maybe it starts to make me wonder if the Guardians themselves may have been a curious inspiration behind the Vulcan race since they have supposedly shed emotion as well.  Curious idea though, no?

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By armylife1124

I am going to see this movie tomorrow, I am still excited to see it despite the REALLY bad reviews, I have been reading all sorts of Green Lantern related pages today, and just watched the animated Green Lantern movie that just came out.

Utandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Utandi

Awesome! I am kind a new in the Green Lantern Universe and this beginner's guide really helped. 
    Thanks!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

The movie wasn't as bad as people think, DC needs to make the movies themselves and stop letting WB do it. 

BlackRoseTessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BlackRoseTessa
    @cattlebattle

it makes sence to finish with this artical , they did the  other and it will help gl noobs ,  the film wasnt that bad its not as bad the 90s jl made for tv show , where the gl was blue and still called gl lol
    fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By fitchy101
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:
    I honestly didn't think the movie was that bad...but this is a good little review into the Maltusians who would eventually become the Guardians.  I like the part about as their minds grew larger their bodies shrunk and eventually they shed emotion.  I originally was going to suggest that maybe a big inspiration behind their conception was the Vulcan race according to Gene Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek until I saw that the show had not even started on the air until 1966, whereas the Guardians made their first appearance in GL #1 in 1960.  So maybe it starts to make me wonder if the Guardians themselves may have been a curious inspiration behind the Vulcan race since they have supposedly shed emotion as well.  Curious idea though, no?
    That is most curious....
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eyz

The guardians end up 90% of their time making bad choices or being the ones behind the mess Hal & co need to clean up all the time....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.