Why are you guys not reading GotG?

• 54 results
#1 Edited by Casket (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone explain why Marvel's big cosmic title sells so low?  
...dangerously low,  NOVA and GotG near cancellation point

GOTG has:
Cool characters like Groot, Mantis, Rocket Raccoon. A huge crazy universal Chruch storyline
It has King Blastaar going for a jail break,  the humor and funnies behind dudes like Starlord and dog called Cosmo is just epic
GOTG has Moondragon, Drax and Quasar all doing some crazy mystcial stuff in the land of the dead
Love, War, Drama 
shock moments of drama, Gamora been taken out by the Magus.
 the story looks and works great
Blackbolt calls himself King of the Kree territory, in come the Shi'ar and the Starjammers
Big Alien Butterfly Cocoon thingy and the Titan of death has returned 

It has its ups and downs but I've never really read a bad issue yet

Why is this not a big seller!?

#2 Edited by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

dunno. most of the people i chat with here read
GoTG so.....
i guess the real question is if your concerned why arent you buying multiple copies?
jk.

Siege, Blackest Night, Batman, a gaggle of other characters and books more well known and more popular. simple answer. most people can only afford so many comics, and they buy what their mainstays and what big in the news first. alot of the characters are also vague to most people.
i read the original GotG and loved it, not many other people did due to the same reasoning as this.
most people dont know much about Starlord, Jack Flag, Mantis or Cosmo, and many have no attachment to characters like Moondragon and Drax just because theyre not in comcis consistantly enough. this is the same reasoning that many Indy comcis, while really well done are not the top sellers. who knows about them, who cares about them. not really a crime for them not to either, just basic math.

note: you maybe shouldve put some spoilers on that stuff. some of the people
might not be encouraged to read it now that they know what happens.

#3 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

GotG FTW!

#4 Posted by Lyrad (379 posts) - - Show Bio

GotG are on my list to start reading. I have the Anihilation collection and the Conquest, and enjoyed them all. So, I do intend to get GotG.   I'm a dedicated reader of Nova though, I love him and I had no idea that Nova is near cancellation point.  I'm gutted now. 
#5 Posted by War Killer (20893 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read either GotG or Nova, Throught about reading Nova once, but the for some unknown reason never got around to picking up an issue. I don't really know much or really anything about the characters in GotG, I don't even think I've been to their page here on the site...

#6 Edited by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep forgetting.My namesake Vance Astro is in it and I can never keep my attention on the book.It's a good book too.Pretty much everyone on the team is a favorite of mine.

#7 Posted by Dreadmaster (16257 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the book, but not everyone has money for it. :-(

#8 Posted by bumnut (1847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"I keep forgetting.My namesake Vance Astro is in it and I can never keep my attention on the book.It's a good book too.Pretty much everyone on the team is a favorite of mine. "

Not sure if your gonna like the return of a certain someone next issue! Hey, why aren't the spoiler tags working?
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
@bumnut said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"I keep forgetting.My namesake Vance Astro is in it and I can never keep my attention on the book.It's a good book too.Pretty much everyone on the team is a favorite of mine. "
Not sure if your gonna like the return of a certain someone next issue! Hey, why aren't the spoiler tags working? "
I know who is coming back in the next issue.It's already been spoiled.
#10 Edited by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by Dreadmaster (16257 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Thanos and all but i am really pissed that they are bringing him back this early.

#13 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: remember that "farthest away dimenstion" thing with Quasar?
#14 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

ALMOST XDDDD

#15 Posted by bumnut (1847 posts) - - Show Bio
@dreadmaster said:
"I like Thanos and all but i am really pissed that they are bringing him back this early. "

early? It's been at least three years, maybe bit longer.  Cap and bats came back within a year or two lol 

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart said:
" @Vance Astro: remember that "farthest away dimenstion" thing with Quasar? "
Yea.
#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29813 posts) - - Show Bio

... well, based on this thread, I might actually start picking it up. I usually stay away from Marvel books that are off-planet though.
#18 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe after next month Nova and the Guardians are going to be on hold during the Thanos Imperative. Most likely due to low sales Marvel figured its easier to sell one event in one title. Much like they did with Annihilation and hopefully at the end it will bring in new readers to those titles. I personally can not wait, I was really close to dropping Guardians, especially through those few issues with the time traveling and what not, but I gutted it out (luckily it was only like three issues). And with the return of one of my all time favorite villains, the Imperative is looking awfully awesome to me :)
It also doesn't hurt that Nova and the Guardians price is still $2.99.

#19 Posted by Benzo (642 posts) - - Show Bio

I adore GOTG! it is such a good book :D i recommend this title to anyone who likes space books or to anyone who loves fun and adventure books!! 

#20 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Voidheart said:
Yea. "
Life won, so no one died, not even thanos.
#21 Posted by bumnut (1847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Voidheart said:
Yea. "
Life won, so no one died, not even thanos. "

See, there's always a way around it.  Where would we be without loopholes :-)
#22 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: technically not really on hold. much as the Avengers books are becoming, well Avengers books with different titles basically, GoTg and nova are actually becoming Thanos Imperative temporarily,
which will be done by the same creative team from those books. the idea was that they didnt want the reader to have to pick up two separate books that would be telling the same story. also to cut down on the reason alot of people avoided Realm Of Kings, multiple books to buy. i know you actually got it, but i wanted to clarify that in detail as the rumor mill put alot of people off by making them think the creative team on GotG was let go and the book cancelled. personally it makes sense. theyll both basically be members of the same team for the time being, and holding down the same field position, so why print the same story twice in two different books.
#23 Posted by danhimself (21291 posts) - - Show Bio

I got bored with it after the last big crossover they had....I still get it but it's so hard to keep my attention on it

#24 Posted by iLLituracy (13546 posts) - - Show Bio

I try to follow as closely as I can [I'm pretty sure I've read every issue of Nova and a good amount of GotG], but sometimes the dramatic change in art--or the the artists they put on the cosmic titles don't draw me in, whatsoever.

I picked up GotG this month and liked the art, it was decent and well colored, I hope the new artist stays on for a while.

#25 Posted by Joe Venom (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I love how they continue to find clever ways to split GotG into 2 groups, and look what space has done for DarkHawks' character, I look forward to reading more about the Fraternity of the Raptors "I believe" there are 5 of them so far and many more to come.

#26 Posted by Korg (11351 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I just don't like Abnett and Lanning's recent work. I've been disappointed by most of their stuff from the past few years. Their run on the Authority was pretty bland, and their handling of the Inhumans has been pretty terrible, IMO. I've heard some good things about GotG, but not enough to convince me it's worth buying.

#27 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

Hypnotoad tells you to go ahead and give it a try

#28 Posted by Korg (11351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart said:
" Hypnotoad tells you to go ahead and give it a try "
The lack of the book on my shelf contradicts this.
#29 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Voidheart said:
" Hypnotoad tells you to go ahead and give it a try "
The lack of the book on my shelf contradicts this. "
They don't even sell it where you buy comics?
#30 Posted by Korg (11351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" They don't even sell it where you buy comics? "
Of course they do. I was referring to my own shelves.
#31 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: Explained so much better then I did :)

I am looking forward to it being done that way, that's one reason I enjoyed annihilation so much I didn't have to worry about missing a title or anything. And I hear ya on RoKs I stopped collecting the Imperial Guard titles after the second one I just couldn't get into them, I was never a fan of the Shi'ar or Gladiator. Although if they release those as a trade I'd probably pick it up just to have the whole set. I can't wait for the aftermath of the Imperative though, before Annihilation Nova was a second tier character. Hopefully Imperative gives a boost to someone like Dark Hawk and bring Nova and the Guardians back up to peak performance.
#32 Edited by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: 
lol. like i said i knew you did, but i saw this get ugly in a prior thread and turn into a huge mess.
its one part of the reason youll see me edit my posts like five times. extreme clarification
prevents mass misunderstandings.

and yeah, personally i love the cosmic stuff though, since i didnt really say that. 
but im pretty much a big sci-fi nut so theres that.
#33 Posted by King Saturn (218568 posts) - - Show Bio
I have been slipping on GOTG... I must get back into it... 
#34 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" They don't even sell it where you buy comics? "
Of course they do. I was referring to my own shelves. "
#35 Posted by Korg (11351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" ....... "
This will be the epitaph on your tombstone when you're gone, Vance.
#36 Posted by jloneblackheart (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what I would do without Marvel cosmic. I read all of it and Guardians of the Galaxy  is by far my favorite one. It would be a shame if any of them got canceled. I'm looking forward to the Thanos Imperative.

#37 Edited by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

Im toying with the notion of what if they remain one book and team afterwords.
I think i could deal with it. Its like back when the x-books had to cut either Cable
or Deadpool, because while they were good their sales just werent good enough,
but they didnt want to screw the fanbases either, so they came up with the idea just 
to have them in one book, since they already knew each other and hung out in the same
corner of their respective world. i think id be cool with it if it comes down instead of losing one
or the other. 

#38 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

there can be only one lol

#41 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart: 
no point to the spoiler, guess there really wasnt.
Vance will love that. I mean Vance, not Vance, but
the other Vance..and..my...brain..nnnnsss....ayeeeiiooyoondsomtineswhyyyy....

#42 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

head asplode

#43 Posted by Vance Astro (89583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" ....... "
This will be the epitaph on your tombstone when you're gone, Vance. "
It better be.
#44 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

So anyone ever wonder what would happen if Captain America and Major Victory's shields collided?

I mean time travel 101 teaches us identical matter can not exist in the same place at the same time. Would it cause a universe ending paradox?

#45 Posted by bumnut (1847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
"So anyone ever wonder what would happen if Captain America and Major Victory's shields collided?  I mean time travel 101 teaches us identical matter can not exist in the same place at the same time. Would it cause a universe ending paradox?"

Only the doc can answer that one ;-)
#46 Posted by BlackestShite (248 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" I try to follow as closely as I can [I'm pretty sure I've read every issue of Nova and a good amount of GotG], but sometimes the dramatic change in art--or the the artists they put on the cosmic titles don't draw me in, whatsoever.   I picked up GotG this month and liked the art, it was decent and well colored, I hope the new artist stays on for a while. "
I think Nova story is over and he's moved on to the new Avengers direction  

I'll be picking this up, it sounds great

but i'm sad the comic of Nova is over
#47 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people are buying it because it was sold out where I went! Usually there are like twenty copies or so left, but not this week. At least I got Nova before that flew off the shelves, too.

#48 Posted by ADayWalker (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Great series, sucks about the hiatus...but the Thanos: Imperative is gonna be the real deal! 

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are the sh*t!  Miguel Sepulveda on the pencils, oh sh*t! Get Ready!
#49 Posted by Casket (339 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a fun run while it lasted

#50 Posted by DevilmanEX (641 posts) - - Show Bio
@ADayWalker:  I know Nova is going on hiatus but so is GotG?  How long is going away?  Just to the end of Thanos or an undisclosed amount of time?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.