Follow

Guardians of the Galaxy

Team » Guardians of the Galaxy appears in 1116 issues.

The first published Guardians of the Galaxy was a team of freedom fighters in the 31st century. The name was later used for the team Star-Lord formed to deal with galactic-level threats in present day. The present day team's name was influenced by a member of the 31st century team who had time traveled to the present.

Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The moment is finally here! It's the trailer for the upcoming Marvel film Guardians of the Galaxy, which appeared on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! Check it out below!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Meh

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#2  Edited By iceslick

BOOKA-BOOKA-BOOKA-SHAKA!

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, just not feeling it.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as always, they're going for the comedy route :)

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think this might be a pleasant surprise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

AWESOME!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

......wtf??

Are they trying to turn this into a comedy?

I mean,some parts looked great,like Star Lord in full uniform in the snow,and Rocket/Groot killing guards,but.......why does this look mostly like a comedy?

_Nexus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was cool but for a first trailer I think it needed a more serious tone. The teaser at least give it that impression.

Mr_Colossus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Mr_Colossus

Interesting, wasn't sure how it was going to look on the big screen. Still apprehensive that its not gonna go over well. Might be too much of a comedy, but still pumped to see it. Winter Solider is up first though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inferiorego  Staff

I'm fine with the comedy route they're taking. Marvel films keep their stuff pretty light-hearted, so it's expected.

Also, here' my opinion of the film:

Loading Video...

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#12  Edited By Fenderxx

Loved that trailer, freaking epic, and fantastic music choices!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inferiorego  Staff
    KrazyCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can not wait for this to come out

Mr_Colossus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it goes along with their game plan. They are trying to make it appealing to the general audience rather than just the comic fan base. What better way to draw in people that know nothing about the source material than give them something to laugh at and looks packed with action. I'm sure they will give us a better trailer in another month or so. Fingers crossed though.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InkInk

Looks fantastic, I get mighty sick of people whining that marvel adds comedy to their movies. They add it because it works everything does not have to be gritty and dark. These are comic book movies they are meant be fun and tell crazy over the top stories not be as cynical as possible ( Like Man of Steel or Dark Knight Rises)

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctor_Malekith

My favorite part was when they just briefly showed all the cool action and special effects, but spend awkward amounts of time on unfunny jokes.

However, based on the stuff that that was glossed over, I think this movie is going to be amazing. Also, Karen Gillan looks great!

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tony_Shark

So many people on this website are just ungrateful to the fact that someone is taking their time to make this movie happen. Yes, it might suck or it might be amazing, but you cannot seriously sit there and judge an entire movie based on a 2 min trailer.

Comic book fans are the worst people to comic book movies.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

YES James Gunn is making a friggin Action Adventure Comedy and it looks excellent.

Boogiepop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

I love DnA's 2008 Guardians comic, it's one of my all time favorite series. I haven't read the Bendis series, because I don't read Bendis. I'm guessing this is based on his series way more than DnA. It has that same corny feel that his comics, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 have.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome, makes want to read the series

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Most of you complaining that it's a comedy need to realize that there's a talking raccoon in the movie...it would be very difficult for Marvel to pass this off as a serious movie to the general audience. I think it looks good

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inferiorego  Staff

QFT

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I know nothing about the characters, but this looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

That trailer was not as awesome as it should of been

thetitan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i want this movie now. and for all you complaining about it looking to funny, winter solider will probably be the movie for you.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

@bigl: Besides that makes the false dichotomy that Comedy dosen't equal serious when you have films like Catch 22, Robocop, and the like that are made all the more serious by their black comedy and satire. Not that Guaridans is in any way a satire. But "serious" comes from taking the characters and their issues and world seriously. Not acting dour and "stoic" all the time.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

I was totally MEH with this idea of making GOG into a movie, not because I dislike the series but because I LOVE IT. I was very scared that they would screw up the tone of each character. But from the trailer

Gamora-Her look isnt what Id expect, but I am very pleased with her F you kind of face she makes. Much like her character

Quill-Hes always been that "I am the only savior for your race...Ooo look women" kind of att and i think they are conveying that perfectly

Drax...never said much and if he says even less in the movie ill be happy. Tats could be more like comics but i do love his look. And im going to give the B man some credit, since i am sure this will be a better role for him than what he had in Riddick

Rocket...he spit at the floor. And if they say the R word and he freaks im going to fangasm in the theater

Groot...his curiousity to what was going on during the scene was just like the comics.

Plus the little bit of Nebula we saw, who if i remember correctly is a crazy psycho b1tch from hell...is shown in full

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS

(even though I have a horrible feeling people will not see it simply because they have no idea who these characters are.)

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

yay!

andy_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

......wtf??

I mean,some parts looked great,like Star Lord in full uniform in the snow,and Rocket/Groot killing guards,but.......why does this look mostly like a comedy?

Because it is about (among other things) a man who is a tree, a green lady, and a space raccoon.

It's a way of suspending disbelief. Using humour to let the audience sink into a groove, so to speak, and then - as seems to be the case, if you had paid attention to the trailer - break out with the full-on action stuff. The Avengers did it that way; the team's getting together, it's fun, we're having fun, it's a jovial movie, and then it hits it out of the park with scenes like Hulk's first transformation. Once you believe something, once you've lulled the audience into a state of comfort, then you can raise the stakes.

A fish out of water protagonist (Star Lord) is going to be very useful. Comedy is going to be essential in making things seem natural but Star Lord being like a normal guy is going to be the most important part of not turning everyone who isn't the most dedicated Marvel/sci-fi fans away. It's a clever little trick, honestly. Screenwriting 101.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I must admit I was caught off guard by the trailer. But that's what made it awesome! GotG was one of the last things we expected to be made into a live action movie - it even beat Justice League! - and so I think they are making fun of that with an unexpected trailer. I don't think anybody saw this coming and this will get people talking. Whether or not the movie will be full comedy, full action, or a mixture of the two is unknown. And that will draw people there to find out.

Boogiepop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Boogiepop

It's not that "humor" is bad, it's that the last couple movies Marvel had made have had bad humor in them. Iron Man 1 had some funny lines, but it wasn't corny cringe-worthy humor like Darcy and Ian that detracts from the movie.

Having humor is ok, but when the humor over powers the movie, and you have people telling jokes during serious scenes, it just becomes annoying.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We hate because we care.

However, I thought it was pretty cool. I could have down with a bit more action and a bit less comedy, but it introduced the characters, who they were, and a brief rundown of what they're like via their rapsheets. We even got a look at Nova Corps. Can't ask for much more from a trailer, especially about a team as fairly obscure as the Guardians of the Galaxy, which HAS to get across who the hell these people are ASAP in order to make sure any action they show means something.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@andy_117 said:

@cameron83 said:

......wtf??

Because it is about (among other things) a man who is a tree, a green lady, and a space raccoon.

It's a way of suspending disbelief. Using humour to let the audience sink into a groove, so to speak, and then - as seems to be the case, if you had paid attention to the trailer - break out with the full-on action stuff. The Avengers did it that way; the team's getting together, it's fun, we're having fun, it's a jovial movie, and then it hits it out of the park with scenes like Hulk's first transformation. Once you believe something, once you've lulled the audience into a state of comfort, then you can raise the stakes.

A fish out of water protagonist (Star Lord) is going to be very useful. Comedy is going to be essential in making things seem natural but Star Lord being like a normal guy is going to be the most important part of not turning everyone who isn't the most dedicated Marvel/sci-fi fans away. It's a clever little trick, honestly. Screenwriting 101.

Hm. Never thought about it that way. To be honest though,I wasn't completely fond of Avengers,but that's just me.

I just REALLY hope that it doesn't seem too campy,and that comedy is the main focus of it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I saw a part of this when it got leaked a few months ago...seeing it in its entirety just makes it worse.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Was on the fence. Saw this trailer. Suddenly so very psyched. This says it all:

No Caption Provided

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This trailer could have been so much better. It seemed that Star Lord was the focus of this trailer. I wanted to hear Rocket and Groot speak, see Ronan the Accuser, more of Drax and Gamora. I'm hoping the second trailer will give us those things.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not what I expected..... much better :)

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

Looks great, the tone looks like a more comical DnA issue of Guardians. There are so many ridiculous things about the guardians that comedy helps make it feel a little more real. Plus all of the more serious characters had no speaking lines so there very well may be many serious scenes free of comic relief. Go home whiners I think this is gonna be good.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks sooooo good!

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human civilization was created just so we could have this movie.

Pack it up folks. We've peaked.

PS. SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, still don't care, I'll just wait for Winter Soldier.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so you have a badass raccoon killing people and shouting bam killed you!

talking tree who says three words

wise cracking leader

are people seriously complaining this has comedy in it? what did you expect? read the comics, theres comedy in them too. This is one of the few CBMs im fine with comedy in it

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they played this just about perfect. I'm a decent enough comic fan and I only know Gamora and Drax out of this crew. The general audience is going to be like, "I like Marvel movies, but who are these characters? The Guardians of the what?" That's why they had characters in the trailer asking those same questions. It invites people in and makes it OK not to know anything about it. It just shows this is going to be a big, fun, sexy, adventure in space! It's such a risk by Marvel to go with C and D list characters. More power to them if the trailer's an indication!

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fil123: That's what I want to know. Even in the darkest moments of Annihilation and all that, the comic had a pretty comedic bent to it.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be good. I'll go just to see the ever sexy miss Zoe Saldana. Looks like they're over doing the comedy, but that's what I've come to expect from the MCU.

Boogiepop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fil123 said:

so you have a badass raccoon killing people and shouting bam killed you!

talking tree who says three words

wise cracking leader

are people seriously complaining this has comedy in it? what did you expect? read the comics, theres comedy in them too. This is one of the few CBMs im fine with comedy in it

I have read every issue of the DnA series, and yes, it has humor, and it can be funny. What it does not have is derpy dude-bro humor, which this movie has. The problem is not humor, it's that Marvel keeps putting in bad humor worthy of stuff like Transformers, instead of funny timely humor like in Iron Man 1.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hooked on a feeling.... That this is going to be awesome!

thetitan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

am i the only one who noticed ronan?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.