inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Although the series and its characters have been involved in some stories that have really changed the status quo for the team, this is actually a pretty decent place to jump on for new readers, especially ones who enjoyed the film. The opening page updates new readers on what's going on and it's mainly about Flash Thompson, the current Venom. There is a bit of a learning curve with what's going on with Venom, but it's still very accessible to new readers.

Artist Valerio Schiti and colorist Jason Keith are an exceptional team on this book. The art in this book is beautiful and vibrant. When it comes to the big two, this is the art of the week here. The way Schiti draws Venom here is pure awesome. The line work is amazing and highly detailed and Keith's colors really bring this character to life. I would buy this issue just for the art, especially since the panel to panel story telling, with all these nice beats, is so brilliantly executed.

While there are some problems with the issue overall, the issue is a lot of fun. We get some great fight scenes and there's still that sense of fun and a bit of humor to make this series stand out. One of the best moments in the issue isn't an action sequence. The opening page has a man describing why Earth is a problem for the galaxy. It puts Marvel's Earth into a new perspective. There are folks in the galaxy who see Earth as more of a threat than anything else. Plus, the dialogue is really solid. It's a great opening page.

The Bad

Here's the thing with "Planet of the Symbiotes." The first issue doesn't leave us at said planet or the Guardians on the hunt for said planet. It's actually a huge letdown, considering that so many people are looking forward to this story, since it's that's never been told. Further issues will provide a much better reading experience than this one, at least we hope, but Bendis has, for the most part, done well with this team, so while this issue wasn't a home run, there's hope the rest of the issues will be.

The issue starts off really cool but ultimately, it's pretty directionless. Great art and cool fight scenes aside, this issue leaves the reader almost at the exact same place it started, except the symbiote has another host.

The Verdict

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #21 does not get off to a good start, but on the bright side, there's a ton of promise and potential to this story. This isn't a bad issue, but it is a big disappointment. Bendis isn't a bad writer, but this issue leaves readers feeling like they missed out on something. Luckily, the art on this book is worth the price of admission alone. "Planet of the Symbiotes" will hopefully be a great story, since it's a story that should be told.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bendis decompresses everything wayyyy too much.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man this series has been so mediocre the past few months. I'm still buying and reading it, but there hasn't been one super compelling arc in what seems to be quite a while.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Definitely agree on the art. Pretty accurate review IMO.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wish Bendis would leave this series.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

No indication of them going to Symbiote homeworld and there's only 2 issues left in the arc? Yikes.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis, I know this bogus, phoned-in romance between Star-Lord and Kitty is your doing, but please leave it to wallow in Humphries' series so that there's only one book I don't have to read.

While you're at it, don't bother adding more characters to the roster because it's clear you don't give a flying frig about anyone other than the core 5 members. It's now been 5 issues since Carol showed up, and the first you've done anything at all with Venom since bringing him on.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG, main Guardians of the galaxy book not getting positive but they still give Bendis job to write Guardians of the Galaxy team up ?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm not surprised by the review, it seems like this is becoming Bendis calling card. Glad I jumped ship to Guardians 3000.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@drellassassin: I stopped buying it after the last issue.

yep same.

everyone else displeased with this series, I would highly suggest checking out Guardians 3000 instead. Much better.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Bendis would leave this series.

I wish Bendis would retire.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm not surprised by the review, it seems like this is becoming Bendis calling card. Glad I jumped ship to Guardians 3000.

Yep

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought it was good, 4 stars in my opinion

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this arc doesnt pick up I'm dropping this book, Guardians 3000 much better IMO

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
    MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some cool moments but yeah, its a meh.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

A typical Bendis letdown. The issue apart from being entertaining had nothing good on itself. I really though that it wouldn't be this disappointing but I guess I was really wrong.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#17 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Didn't galactus destroy the symbiote homeworld

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I am Venom!" Oh sh!t! I'd give this issue 3 and 1/2 stars. The art is SO good, I was actually creeped out by the symbiotes interrogation of the loudmouth Kree and the Drax and Gamorra scenes were awesome. This issue didn't really advance the story but it was still good enough to give it a pass.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You lost me at the Bendis has mostly done good with this series.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #21 does not get off to a good start, but on the bright side, there's a ton of promise and potential to this story. This isn't a bad issue, but it is a big disappointment. Bendis isn't a bad writer, but this issue leaves readers feeling like they missed out on something.

And this quote from the review above pretty much summaries what's wrong with Bendis' GOTG-run. Most of them start great and *splat* its back to status quo. Man at times I almost get (script) flashbacks to 80-90's episodicTV-series from reading this.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I think they mentioned this in an interview and pointed out that the actual homeworld had never been shown; the world in question was overrun but not the actual source of the symbiotes, when the interviewer noted that "didn't spider-man issues already cover it at some point?"

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only reason i bought this issue and decide to get into the story is because of the symbiotes.... this issue is vague, and the only thing we know is flash thompson can't control the symbiote out in space. i'll continue this story until it ends, hopefully it leaves me with a mindset of this was a good story rather then i " I wasted money on this? "" feeling

On a side note i think it's time Eddie Brock comes back for HIS symbiote. i realize they killed him off and he also became anti venom, but still.

Avatar image for left_my_heart_in_san_franchees
    Left_My_Heart_In_San_Francheesie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god for Gaurdians 3000 is all I've got to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.