Rumor: Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Movie?

• 97 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (41258 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been plenty of rumors surrounding casting for Guardians of the Galaxy, but this latest round is by far the most interesting.  According to Latino Review, Marvel Studios is seeing if Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler are available.

Jim Carrey in Kick-Ass 2
Now, I can only imagine this would be for a voice acting role (perhaps Rocket Raccoon?). In the off chance this isn't limited to voice acting, I could definitely tolerate Jim Carrey -- he's certainly a fine actor -- but Adam Sandler? Well, this is my immediate response. 

I suppose going for a big name or bringing heavy comedy makes sense from their angle. These characters are widely unknown to the general audience. Personally though, I was hoping marketing alone could compensate for that and still reel in audiences. After all, this should be a "must see" movie for anyone that saw Avengers or wants to see Avengers 2 and that's an insane amount of people.

Additionally, there's also a new trio of names allegedly in the running for Star-Lord. Wes Bentley, Chris Lowell & Cam Gigandet are the latest names to add to the growing list.  

Viners, what do you think about this latest batch of rumors? 

Source: Latino Review
Staff Online
#1 Posted by hazmat103 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Carrey as Raccoon but then again i have no idea as to what his character sounds like. But i think Carrey could bring star power. definitely not as any other role though.

#2 Posted by dondave (36682 posts) - - Show Bio

@hazmat103 said:

Maybe Carrey as Raccoon but then again i have no idea as to what his character sounds like. But i think Carrey could bring star power. definitely not as any other role though.

QFT

#3 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on how Carrey would play the voice I might be able to tolerate it but, definitely not sandler.

#4 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think they need to do this. People have faith in the Marvel Movies, right? So pick the right people for the gigs!

Sandler and Carrey?

That's just would take me out of the film.

(And we need Phyla Vell in this or a sequel! Get a gay superhero on the screen!)

#5 Posted by jNerd (38 posts) - - Show Bio

My first reaction is the same as yours, they have to be considering them for voice-over work, I could tolerate either. It honestly depends which one could do a better voice for Rocket Racoon, because I don't want to hear either of their natural voices.

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I can scowl any harder. No.

#7 Posted by nappystr8 (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, it's got to be for voice acting Rocket Raccoon. Though both comedians, they are so physically different it is unlikely they would be up for casting for the same role otherwise. Then again, they might go CG/motion capture for every member of the cast other than Star Lord. Personally not a fan of either of these actors, but they both are undoubtedly talented. Personally I think Rocket Raccoon is a role H. Jon Benjamin was born to play.

#8 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't realize Carey had so much hatred against him. I know Sandler's quite unpopular but I didn't know that about Carey.

#9 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I really really hope Sandler isn't anywhere near this. Carey however has got the acting chops to pull off any role he wants.

#10 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my goodness. I love Jim Carrey. Make him Rocket Racoon and I'll probably need to see the movie more than once.

#11 Posted by OldOldLogan (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Sandler would sink any superhero movie. DC or Marvel.

#12 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3780 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, why does everybody hate Sandler. I can understand Carrey having potential, but honestly I'm really sick and tired of all the hate Sandler gets. I mean he makes bad movies, but is he like the most evil guy ever because of that?

#13 Posted by CELKali (28 posts) - - Show Bio

James Gunn would never allow such a heinous act. No, I don't care if he's just the writer; I have to believe, goddamnit.

#14 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see Jim Carrey doing a funnyish Groot V.O

And I would like to see either Wes or Cam as Star-Lord

#15 Edited by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson said:

Okay, why does everybody hate Sandler. I can understand Carrey having potential, but honestly I'm really sick and tired of all the hate Sandler gets. I mean he's made bad movies, but is he like the most evil guy ever because of that?

He hasn't made bad movies, he consistently makes bad movies. For every good movie he makes he has like 2-3 bad ones. He's very good at what he does, it's just that what he does isn't super hero movies.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57976 posts) - - Show Bio

Will somebody give the kid an infinity gauntlet?
BB

#17 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

meh!

#18 Posted by dreamfall31 (551 posts) - - Show Bio

Two men whose careers have gone on a decade longer then they should have, I'm gonna say NO.

#19 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh.

#20 Posted by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandler --> NO!  

Carrey --> maybe..... if he doesn't go full on goof ball. 

#21 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson said:

Okay, why does everybody hate Sandler. I can understand Carrey having potential, but honestly I'm really sick and tired of all the hate Sandler gets. I mean he makes bad movies, but is he like the most evil guy ever because of that?

He's not the most evil but the least talented funny guy and his movies... please! Just because everybody may not like him and his movies, doesn't mean everybody hates the guy. Why hate? People just say they don't want him to ruin another movie and/or character.

#22 Posted by mksystem74 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Beside the voice of Rocket Raccoon in Ult. Marvel vs Capcom, I'm not too familiar with how he should sound.

I'm more worried about Wes Bentley getting the part of Star-Lord because I want him to be Bruce/Batman in Justice League.

#23 Posted by blackcobalt (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@hazmat103: I like Marvel vs Capcom's interpretation.

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

NO to either I say. A big resounding NO!

#25 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Other than the VOICE Only for ROCKET RACCOON -

I Don't think either would make a Good choice for AnYthing else - period!

Sandler isn't anything but a Comedic actor - and Carrey well-liked and does have some acting ability outside of Comedy - but its almost to the point where you just can't take the guy serious looking at him - If either are cast for anything other than a voice part well than THANOS should tear the universe a new one!

#26 Edited by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I could get behind Carrey...I don;t know for what, but I might be open to him being in the movie depending on what he's gonna be doing.

But Sandler....ugh, no. Please, go away. Even as nothing but a rumor it leaves me with a sour taste.

As for Rocket Raccoon, if they could get the dude who voices him in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom to voice him in the movie, i'd be totally content.

#27 Posted by Teerack (5900 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Sandler hasn't made an okay movie sense the 90s. If you have a problem with Carry you're crazy. Have you seen his last few movies other then Mr Popper's Penguins?

#28 Posted by kid Apollo (713 posts) - - Show Bio

JASON STATHAM for ROCKET RACOON

#29 Posted by Logan Reilly (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@OldOldLogan: Sandler would ruin any film, period.

#30 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Carrey is a decent actor even in serious roles, so I'm cool with his involvement. Sandler? No thank you. What was the last decent movie he was in?

My only concern is that they would end up being Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler in space, not an actual character. IF they can disappear into a role and keep it from getting outlandish, then I could get behind the idea. Otherwise I'll be passing.

#31 Posted by DJ1107 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14: Last decent flick Sandler was in was Hotel Transyilvania. But yeah these rumors better be false

#32 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

This is easily the most crazy rumors to come out yet... its also the most frightening so it might be true.

(Also, Ron Perlman as Rocket Raccoon, just saying)

#33 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if there part is "I am groot".

#34 Posted by hqn (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Guardians of the Galaxy is the first marvel movie i'm not eager to see (but i will go, eventually) and Jim Carrey much likely providing voice for the silly Rocket Raccon nails it. Whedon gave us laughs aplenty in Avenger but i don't think every director can balance action and comedy and Guardians looks like it might get cheesy.

#35 Posted by Sharkbite (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Carrey is a great actor, but only when he's permitted to act (Eternal Sunshine, for example). Sadly, his comedy work is pretty much copy/paste. You could take soundbytes of Firemarshal Bill, Ace Ventura, the Mask, and Dumb & Dumber, and if the line didn't contain a popular catchphrase, most people would be hard pressed to tell them apart. If Guardians needs some comedy, then Carrey is not the way to go, because Guardians does not lend itself to that slapstick style of physical humor and rediculous voices that Carrey seems stuck in.

Looking at Sandler, he is not nearly as good at delivering the serious role (weird spanish maid movie, for example). And his comedy is very hit and miss, with some of them being good and some being horrible. But his range is a lot more diverse. Everyone can tell the difference between Billy Madison, Big Daddy, Little Nicky, Mr Deeds, and Anger Management. Sometimes he's stupid, sometimes he's intelligent and well spoken but just unlucky, sometimes he's a normal relateable person reacting to a rediculous situation. While Sandler definately has the potential to stink it up, he also has the potential to do it well.

With Sandler it could go either way. With Carrey... "allllrightie then".

Personally, if they're talking for the voice of Rocket Racoon, and focusing on big name star appeal, go with Bruce Willis. He could make Rocket Racoon into the tough guy with the rocket launcher, while still bringing that excellant comedy voice acting that made movies like Look Who's Talking and Rugrats Movie so successful.

#36 Posted by Impala (264 posts) - - Show Bio

What is wrong with you people, Jim Carrey is an amazing actor i cannot believe people are doubting his acting ability.

#37 Posted by Loki9876 (3018 posts) - - Show Bio

no, sandler noooooooooooooo

#38 Posted by naustin07 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a big fan of both actors, but not for a Marvel movie. Just have to look at Jim Carey as the Riddler to know this is a bad idea lol. I would really like to see Cam Gigandet in a comic book movie though. Guy is ripped like a little Rambo and has sick martial arts ability. I

#39 Posted by Inverno (13202 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally agree with Gregg here. Adam Sandler? Yeah, no way.

#40 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really read cosmic comics. I do read Green Lantern, but that because Im always hoping they just put him on Earth and leave him there. Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler are just both to annoying for much of anything anymore. Cosmic Comedy. This seems to kids friendly.

#41 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Carrey can play anything.

#42 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

@StMichalofWilson said:

He's not the most evil but the least talented funny guy and his movies... please! Just because everybody may not like him and his movies, doesn't mean everybody hates the guy. Why hate? People just say they don't want him to ruin another movie and/or character.

#43 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant stand either one.

#44 Posted by notoriousmistersims (91 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the guy dat did the voice for rocket in the avengers cartoon would do him justice on the big screen

#45 Posted by ThePRez (281 posts) - - Show Bio

why not this guy

#46 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@Charlie_Jade said:

@DonFelipe said:

@StMichalofWilson said:

Well, hello hotness!

#47 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

ok...I'm Out!

#48 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

God almighty not Sandler, please not Sandler :(

#49 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Simon Pegg for rocket raccoon

#50 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

PReferably Not; but i can accept it if it occurs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.